• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

i get hit with birdie's overhead all the time because nobody plays birdie.
It's a fantastic move, mainly because it also knocksdown if you're opponent tried to jump expecting a command grab. Also, with the right overhead setup, you can combo off it. And the hitbox on that thing in the second, third and fourth frame is INSANE. It feels like it has more horizontal range in those last 3 frames than it does vertical.

I remember playing a match where I was command grabbing liberally, then I had the opponent cornered. He woke up, held up and I overheaded which knocked him back down. Happened twice, then thrice. Then the fourth time,he blocked and I command grabbed.

He also sent me a salty message later.

EDIT: Sorry, I misremembered, the first frame's the one that has insane range and the next three are more standard. Just for comparison's sake, First frame, and the next three. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

mbpm1

It's a fantastic move, mainly because it also knocksdown if you're opponent tried to jump expecting a command grab. Also, with the right overhead setup, you can combo off it. And the hitbox on that thing in the second, third and fourth frame is INSANE. It feels like it has more horizontal range in those last 3 frames than it does vertical.

I remember playing a match where I was command grabbing liberally, then I had the opponent cornered. He woke up, held up and I overheaded which knocked him back down. Happened twice, then thrice. Then the fourth time,he blocked and I command grabbed.

image.php

EDIT: Sorry, I misremembered, the first frame's the one that has insane range and the next three are more standard. Just for comparison's sake, First frame, and the next three. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

this and the damage is insane. got hit like that twice recently. but it's cool, i want to play more birdie.

Zackat

After playing a lot of single player games and Legion for a bit, coming back to SFV some has been rough. Lost quite a bit of LP. Still no date on when Urien is going to drop? Guess it will be the end of the month?

Kashiwaba

I'm really hoping the daily challenges will be something fun and refreshing not just some boring tasks you force yourself to do for some FM (I guess a man can wish for something) but knowing capcom probably it's going to be another disappointment.

Kashiwaba

Some pointers for my Juri please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSnjO2Rv74o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52URlGDeSf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ufdx5qr6gM

I am in the no mans land where people say I got better but I see no results.

I watched a bit of each video I just noticed few things
Work on your guard game. You jump a lot when it's not even needed keep the game on the ground don't jump unless you're forced to. Also when you have a full gauge for critical art don't blow it so fast your opponent will always be on their toes expecting the CA and they tend to make lots of mistakes at that time so use it against them keep them on their toes and only use it when you're 100% sure you can win.

The odd things people say. Nash wins half the cpt events and its 'well hes not as good as the toppest of top tiers'. 'Chun is good? How many majors has she won'. Same song and dance as Vanilla 4 Sagat.
Just the Nash army trying to prevent the inevitable come balance patching time. I want to say that I'll laugh, but I'll probably be a little salty when Karin's CA damage is nerfed for no good reason.

mbpm1

Some pointers for my Juri please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSnjO2Rv74o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52URlGDeSf8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ufdx5qr6gM

I am in the no mans land where people say I got better but I see no results.

Just a few general tips

I don't know if you know, but none of her flip kicks combo off of lights or cr. mk. If you're going to combo off it it will come from cr. mp which goes into light flip kick or st. hp or cr. hp which goes into medium or light. And they're all unsafe, you'll catch ultras using them on block carelessly.

You threw out mk/hk pinwheels without hit confirming. Don't do that. Make sure you're actually comboing into them first. The punishment for whiffing/getting them blocked is steep. I hope you also know that non-ex pinwheels aren't invincible.

You v-triggered in neutral a few times, but it didn't look like you had any reason to. You're wasting opportunities to make reads and make unsafe moves safe or hit confirm into a big combo. It also doesn't look like you really do anything different in vtrigger so it doesn't serve you any purpose except to put you at slightly negative frames.

V-skill isn't as good as it looks, you can be hit out of it at almost any time and it's unsafe and relatively slow.

You landed a bunch of hits in neutral, but they didn't lead anywhere. Instead of doing cr. mk, use cr. mp (which has nearly the same if not identical range despite the appearance) and buffer that into her light flip kick when you're fishing in nuetral. Don't use it when you're close enough for the cr. mp to hit, but instead in situations when you're trying to catch a button from your opponent. When this hits, you can confirm the flip kick into ultra if you're quick.

Also, the second hit of st. hk is cancellable so you don't need to guess with the first, you can confirm off the second

I could see Vega being top tier. I have a feeling all of the top tier is going to get "normalized" to where the DLC characters are at- with clear strengths and clear weaknesses.
Vega, Cammy and Karin are some of the most balanced characters in the game (still laughing at people calling SFV Ryu a "balanced" character lol) and consequently they bring the hype without needing every stupid tool in the book. If Capcom decides SFV's season 1 DLC characters should become the baseline for this game it will be an absolutely tragic decision. I can't see myself wasting any time on a game where most of the cast is "normalized". Most AA jab/st.lk normals have to go (you can even even include Zangief and Alex here if you give their lariat and cr.HP better AA hitboxes), Nash's dash should actually be visible, some v-triggers shouldn't be nearly OP (*cough*Chun*cough*), but none of that means Capcom needs to bring a chainsaw where a surgical knife is needed instead.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I can also see Rashid doing well after a balance patch. He kind of has everything he needs, just his damage is a little low. They would probably leave him alone for the most part.

fresquito

Most chars need slight tweaks, nothing more.

Nerfs I would do:
  • Ryu jumping light kick.
  • Chun's V-Trigger (would make it three bars/last shorter/consume a chunk on impact or block).
  • Nash dash animation
Would buff:
  • Gief lariat.
  • Recover Gief cr. MP combos from betas.
  • Buff FANG V-Trigger (last shorter and increase poison tick rate from specials).
  • Rashid slight damage buff on spinning mixer.
  • Buff damage from Specials that go through Rashid V-Trigger.
Would fix some hurt and hit boxes all around, like Alex Cr. HP.

K.Sabot

add pushback to cammy's lights

add pushback to karin's lights

take off some of the ridiculous plus frames of some character's mp moves (cammy karin)

these 2 characters play sf4 when it comes to block strings, it's nuts.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think they are balanced. Every single character has "offense starters", which are moves that are atleast +2 on block. Slower characters usually have heavies, faster ones lights or mediums.
They dictate their playstyle, that's the whole point.

K.Sabot

cammy and karin can just walk up to your face and hit two lights on block and still be able to grab somebody

there's much less pushback than every other character, it's an anomaly.

fresquito

add pushback to cammy's lights

add pushback to karin's lights

take off some of the ridiculous plus frames of some character's mp moves (cammy karin)

these 2 characters play sf4 when it comes to block strings, it's nuts.
No offense, but I hope you are never in a position to decide on nerfs about this game.

K.Sabot

No offense, but I hope you are never in a position to decide on nerfs about this game.

Damn, guess I'll just have to live with being more qualified than you at the very least.
Ayyyyyyy, sorry I can't not respond snarkily to that.
I just tried it and that's not true. They need to walk forward afterwards or inbetween to be in throw range.

I was being slightly facetious, the reality is that capcom wanted to do away with long confirms / blockstrings yet leaves characters with plus frame options you can literally just hit 3 times without even moving and leaving the opponent at a disadvantage. Then there is everyone else in the cast who can only get 1 - 2 buttons for pressure on block and if you try to tick throw, their walk speed is so bad that the other player just walks back out of the tick throw. Also those pressure buttons are probably negative on block to boot.

It's a huge disparity between the haves and have-nots when it comes to being able to pressure the opponent.

fresquito

I was being slightly facetious, the reality is that capcom wanted to do away with long confirms / blockstrings yet leaves characters with plus frame options you can literally just hit 3 times without even moving and leaving the opponent at a disadvantage. Then there is everyone else in the cast who can only get 1 - 2 buttons for pressure on block and if you try to tick throw, their walk speed is so bad that the other player just walks back out of the tick throw. Also those pressure buttons are probably negative on block to boot.

It's a huge disparity between the haves and have-nots when it comes to being able to pressure the opponent.
Again, I'm sorry but you are wrong. You can only combo three buttons with Karin or Cammy on counterhit.

Sheroking

My changes:

* Widespread alteration of hitboxes. AA jabs all rest in piece. Yes, even Alex's. No exceptions, even to otherwise mediocre characters. Also, fix the hurt boxes on some other problematic moves, like Ryu's j.lk.

* General damage reductions to Ken and Ryu. Chun's V-trigger is now 3 bars, minor damage reduction to SBK. Damage reduction to Karin's CA. Mika's v-reversal is now even on hit - she recovers at the same time as her opponent.

* General damage increase to FANG. Buff Gief's lariat and give him a comboable MP, but take some range away from his command grab at the same time. That dude has too many tools to risk over buffing.

I think that's fine. Maybe give Bison something, but I'm not sure what.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's still a design decission. That's exactly why characters with fast walk-speeds have lower health.

I was being slightly facetious, the reality is that capcom wanted to do away with long confirms / blockstrings yet leaves characters with plus frame options you can literally just hit 3 times without even moving and leaving the opponent at a disadvantage.
Name an example, please.

Your tick throw example doesn't really make sense either. You shouldn't be able to walk out of a tick throw.

myco666

Damnit. Found Phenom in BL but the connection was the worst its ever been for me and it was even 5 bars. Would have been interesting to see how well I would have done against Rank 2 player.

My changes:

Everybody gets a fireball and a command grab.

No invincible meterless reversal for everybody?

K.Sabot

Again, I'm sorry but you are wrong. You can only combo three buttons with Karin or Cammy on counterhit.

Son, I'm talking on block here. I'm saying that karin and cammy are allowed to hit many more buttons in front of you before returning to neutral than every other character and that's an issue because it runs counter-intuitive to the design of the game.

Like here's a common Cammy block string: st.lk > st.lp > cr.lp >cr.mp >cr.mk
only one of these buttons is negative. at any point before the cr.mp she can go for a tick grab where she was previously plus on block.

karin it's even worse because her st.lk is +3 allowing her some hilarious stagger pressure even though it has a bit more pushback than cammy's. It also is cancellable and combos into itself.

karin's ezpz normal string on block: st.lk > stagger LK (beats 3f normals) > cr.mp >cr.mk
Once again all the buttons before the cr.mk are plus, and both the st.lks are points where the tick throw is strong, though going for throw / shimmy after the cr.mp is also a very strong option too. You can't press buttons against it, you can only hope that you've guessed right on when they want to throw thanks to a low throw tech window + le meme 8f delay.

This type of non-sense I'm talking about. A flowchart blockstring that serves as an automatic counterhit confirm / a near impervious means to force a 50/50 (and I hope we've faced by now that throw / button is a 50/50 in SFV atm) and leaves the aggressor in a great position (st.mk counterpoke range).

When at the same time the rest of the cast is dealing with insane pushback on block in comparison with worse walkspeeds and mostly worst throw ranges (cammy is slightly below average). The rest of the cast don't have insane v-reversals

Heck chun is just allowed to confirm 3 light hits into a combo / link lights in to mediums whenever she wants, which capcom was frantically taking away from everyone else during the beta. The design feels inconsistent.

Your tick throw example doesn't really make sense either. You shouldn't be able to walk out of a tick throw.

It's a common occurence in SFV, and this is with Juri who has a great throw range (by sfv standards).

fresquito

How is that counter intuitive? They have pressure tools, right. Don't they have shortcomings? Last time I checked they had 900 health, Karin had shitty AA and one bad read by Cammy meant half her life. They are good characters, no doubt about it, but they are in the right spot of what I'd call balanced, while fun.

Karin's are not real blockstrings, BTW. Can't tell about Cammy.

They need to fix the hurt/hitbox in the game. They need to extend the hurtbox in dashes horizontally.

Reduce vertical hitboxes of every normal that doesn't stick up to the air. (Nerf Light AA)

Adjust Alex's Hurtbox. Reduce push back on his Flash Chop and decrease it to be -2 on block.

Increase the horizontal hitbox on Cr.Mp on some characters to their feet.

R.Mika can only combo her Irish Whip off a Counter Hit St.MP, Increase the Counter Hit advantage on her St.MK to combo into St.MP, decrease passion press hurtbox.

Low Profile sweeps can go under Mika's drop kick.

Give Ken a fireball and for everyone who has a DP, decrease the I-frame on non EX DP for frame traps to work.

Nerf Chun's St.HP.

Give Zangief back his green hand.

Nerf Ryu's J.lk and add a hit/hurtbox in the start of his active frame on J.HK as well as Vega's St.LK.

Buff Nash's V-Trigger so this does happen when using it on reaction.
giphy.gif

Teleport him closer to characters on the air version so Nash can combo properly after the HP/HK.

Buff Cammy's Dive Kick and always have her reversal cross up on normals.

Make Juri's V-reversal not suck, give Guile a real target combo, reduce Sonic Boom recovery and make Non Ex of Pinwheel and Flash Kick not CC on Recovery.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
At the Video Game Con here in Jersey. They are doing casual SFV but haven't set up just yet. Got the HRAP in my bag. Scrub Karin is ready to laugh at fools!!

mooncakes

I hope capcom don't forgot about Ibuki. All I want is faster Kunai reload. I would love if they gave back her rekka kicks or neck breaker.

Top Bottom