• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

guys can some one tell me how reversal ( DP ) works ? I'm mashing DP on block all the time but it never come out.. and when it does i always get a counter hit...pretty much the same with random wake up dp, i get counter hit all the time. but when i try to do the same with meaty setups after a throw or hard knockdown i always eat those random dp...

You're not doing them as reversals. When you do a move at the right time and it starts up at the first possible frame from your recovery from blockstun/knockdown, that's called a reversal.

So if you timed your DP input correctly and you did it as soon as you woke up, the reversal notification should pop up on your screen. Same as when you're blocking and do the move as soon as you can.

If it's not an issue of input, then you could be doing the "wrong" DP. Not all versions of a DP have invincibility, depending on the character. Ryu and Ken's medium DP is fully invincible. Necalli's Heavy DP is fully invincible. Chun-Li's EX SBK, Guile's EX Somersault kick, Ibuki's EX kick, Juri's EX pinwheel and a few others, are the ones that have invincibility when you use the EX version.

fresquito

If it's not an issue of input, then you could be doing the "wrong" DP. Not all versions of a DP have invincibility, depending on the character. Ryu and Ken's medium DP is fully invincible. Necalli's Heavy DP is fully invincible. Chun-Li's EX SBK, Guile's EX Somersault kick, Ibuki's EX kick, Juri's EX pinwheel and a few others, are the ones that have invincibility when you use the EX version.
I think all Necalli versions are invincible? You forgot Karin EX DP.

Nice explanation, in any case.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think a general buff of anti airs and lows would benefit the game as a whole. Maybe make jumps slower by 3 to 5 frames.

Solrac

You're not doing them as reversals. When you do a move at the right time and it starts up at the first possible frame from your recovery from blockstun/knockdown, that's called a reversal.

So if you timed your DP input correctly and you did it as soon as you woke up, the reversal notification should pop up on your screen. Same as when you're blocking and do the move as soon as you can.

ty for the reply much appreciate it !

Remove anti air jabs. Especially when it leads to a 50/50 mixup situation for the guy that jumped. A jab anti air with godlike priority should not reward reward the defender like that.

Steroyd

I think a general buff of anti airs and lows would benefit the game as a whole. Maybe make jumps slower by 3 to 5 frames.

Anti airs are fine as is, it's the opposite actually, they need to get rid of Necalli and Ryu's bullshit jabs, it's horrific that someone like Ryu can whiff a throw if you neutral jump on wake up and has time to jab before you fall down.

Remove anti air jabs. Especially when it leads to a 50/50 mixup situation for the guy that jumped. A jab anti air with godlike priority should not reward reward the defender like that.
I'm glad they made it into the game despite how dumb they are. Gief, Sim and Alex would be significantly worse without them. God, I don't want to think of S1 Alex without AA jab mixups. Not even Count and Vulva could seriously argue that he wouldn't be bottom five without AA jabs.

Some characters are going to need serious buffs if AA jabs are gone across the board.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Anti airs are fine as is, it's the opposite actually, they need to get rid of Necalli and Ryu's bullshit jabs, it's horrific that someone like Ryu can whiff a throw if you neutral jump on wake up and has time to jab before you fall down.

I was referring more to moves that were traditionally anti airs and the ones that are 'supposed' to be anti airs but were made situational and inconsistent. Karin's stand hp, Vega's stand hk, Bison/Rog/Guile's cr hp etc etc. I'm fine with fast jumps but the risk reward is just too skewed for my taste.

Durden77

I think some should stay but some people's *cough*FUCKING RYU*cough* have GOT to go. He has way too many options for a 3f AA jab to be one of them.

But characters like Alex should keep them. Guile needs his too with his boom recovery time as a back up. Indifferent on Necalli, he kind of needs his as well in his current state.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Video Game Con was super fun. It wasn't that crowded and I was able to get in some good casual sessions of SFV and Third Strike. There was a Birdie there that destroyed my Karin but I got a couple of wins off a Cammy and a Juri. Overall, I did fine. The Juri win was my highlight. I won one round with an empty jump into Super cuz he flinched and pressed a button and another with a nice neutral jump into FP, FP into Super. Felt good. I also met a dude there who told me about a local SF scene in Dunellen, NJ. Maybe I will check it out, depending how far it is.

Whales

Banned
I think some should stay but some people's *cough*FUCKING RYU*cough* have GOT to go. He has way too many options for a 3f AA jab to be one of them.

But characters like Alex should keep them. Guile needs his too with his boom recovery time as a back up. Indifferent on Necalli, he kind of needs his as well in his current state.

???

His AA Jab is even more retarded than ryu's

necalli has a DP, cr.hp, and probably something else im missing. Why would he need his AA jab?

tumblr_m7afql9j391qkw7tro1_250_zpse15e04e2.gif

The man has an amazing AA jab, two invincible reversals and stupidly successful AA crush counters. He is nearly on par with Ryu in terms of how unnecessarily stacked his toolset is. Ignore the tier lists that don't have him in top 5. Wreckalli is always ready to give his opponents that business.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know what Infiltration has been up to? I don't think he's been in any tournament since EVO and that was two months ago.

Whatever they do, they better do some about the jabs next season.

Somebody already said it, but I will be ready to lose Alex's, but fix that cHP. Though I think the people without other options should maybe keep them if they don't change anything else. Gief and Sim should keep theirs.

mbpm1

Season 2: Capcom removes anti-air jabs for everyone.

Replaces with anti-air shorts.

Alternatively, Capcom removes anti-air jabs, nerfs remaining anti-air normals. Only DP characters can anti-air, people jump some more.

guys can some one tell me how reversal ( DP ) works ? I'm mashing DP on block all the time but it never come out.. and when it does i always get a counter hit...pretty much the same with random wake up dp, i get counter hit all the time. but when i try to do the same with meaty setups after a throw or hard knockdown i always eat those random dp...

It's possible you're inputting the dp's incorrectly/too slowly and getting a button instead which is getting counterhit.

Example:

You want to DP. You enter the motion but instead of down+forward, down+forward+punch you're getting just down+forward+punch and getting hit.

Or you're using a dp that doesn't have invincibility and getting hit.

The only way to know? Watching your replays and turning on key display

People keep complaining about anti air jabs and it never makes any more sense. You're trading the bulk of your anti air damage for speed and a mixup. That's a fair trade. Anti air jabs do almost no damage. If you're getting hit by them enough that it's a source of frustration for you the problem is your jumping not the game.

Ken/Ryu don't need anti-air jab, they have fucking uppercuts, any character with a good anti-air special move doesn't need AA normals. need to go back to the drawing board on every character when it comes to AA normals....fucking Necali has a monster AA jab and a damn AA special, shit like that pisses me off.....fix your game Capcom, until i see the fixes i want from Netcode to balancing, i will consider this game a damn early access i paid $60 for..

Sheroking

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216619135]People keep complaining about anti air jabs and it never makes any more sense. You're trading the bulk of your anti air damage for speed and a mixup. That's a fair trade. Anti air jabs do almost no damage. If you're getting hit by them enough that it's a source of frustration for you the problem is your jumping not the game.[/QUOTE]

1) That's not a real trade-off. In almost every case, you'd take the mix-up over the ~60 damage you're leaving on the table, because the mix-up is potentially 200-300 damage.

2) The real problem is that, unlike a DP or a heavier button, AA jabs require no read or investment. The risk/reward is messed up.

I hate them more than anything. I'd take buffs to Chun, Ryu, Ken and Nash if I also got them removed. It's not that I'm getting hit so much by them that I'm raging - I play Karin, I'll stay grounded, it's just that if I'm hit once out of a cross-up, I'm mad about it because it's dumb.

More importantly, most of them are completely not intended to work as anti-airs.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216619135]People keep complaining about anti air jabs and it never makes any more sense. You're trading the bulk of your anti air damage for speed and a mixup. That's a fair trade. Anti air jabs do almost no damage. If you're getting hit by them enough that it's a source of frustration for you the problem is your jumping not the game.[/QUOTE]

It's not the damage that matters, it's the same reason why people will take a throw instead of getting punched in the mouth with a CC; the mixup can lead to you losing 40% of your life, it's the entire reason people hate mika/laura

This. This is the dumbest shit in the fucking game in my opinion.

Whiffed throws need more recovery or something, because that shit is unacceptable. I make the correct read with a neutral jump and I get punished? Fuck off into the sun.

mbpm1

1)
More importantly, most of them are completely not intended to work as anti-airs.

They're definitely intended. Balrog doesn't have an AA jab in any way.

Something must be going into these

Whiffed throws need more recovery or something, because that shit is unacceptable. I make the correct read with a neutral jump and I get punished? Fuck off into the sun.

This also happened in SF4 though.

It's kind of funny, didn't they remark that throws would have more whiff in this game? People in FGw were like "yaaa" but then it never happened and we have the same stuff

Sheroking

Capcom doesn't know how to do hitboxes. It's the single biggest fuckery in USF4 and SF5.

The fact that some characters don't have 14/10 hitboxes on their jabs doesn't suggest that the ones who do are intentionally designed to be god-tier AA moves. Ryu and Necalli for instance, there's no way in hell they were designed with that purpose in mind.

It's kind of funny, didn't they remark that throws would have more whiff in this game? People in FGw were like "yaaa" but then it never happened and we have the same stuff
Was it? I feel like I never had to deal with it.
I remember punishing people in sf4

mbpm1

Was it? I feel like I never had to deal with it.
I remember punishing people in sf4

Definitely happened.

Gief would normal throw in the corner, lariat a jump out and keep going. Pretty standard.

Thing is no jump in this game is as good as say, Dudley I think. People fall around the rate of Ryu. Unless you're Chun or Sim or Gief I guess.

Definitely happened.

Gief would normal throw in the corner, lariat a jump out and keep going. Pretty standard.
Ok, well when you mention that, then yes. But I guess since there wasn't a ridiculous amount of jab AA's, it wasn't nearly as prevalent. But Gief definitely kept your ass in the corner.

SmokeMaxX

Neutral jumps are definitely not universal. Characters like Ken have air normals where his fist reaches almost into the ground if you tech on wake-up whereas characters like Birdie are basically levitating in the air waiting for you to hit him with something after he baits a throw tech.

Neutral jumps are definitely not universal. Characters like Ken have air normals where his fist reaches almost into the ground if you tech on wake-up whereas characters like Birdie are basically levitating in the air waiting for you to hit him with something after he baits a throw tech.
I'm aware of this, but it just happens far too often with most characters.

Skilletor

Pretty sure earlier builds had longer throw recovery. I remember combofiend talking about it. I want that back.

But that would mess with the ground game, I guess, and shimmy is already super good.

SmokeMaxX

I'm aware of this, but it just happens far too often with most characters.

Oh, no. I definitely agree with you. I was complaining about the same thing a few months ago. I definitely think that if I bait a throw tech, I should at least force you to block a crossup -OR- input an autocorrect DP. The simple solution is to just not go for a crossup in that situation, but the other safe-ish option to beat throw tech is shimmy and has any Birdie really tried to shimmy with his slow as dirt walk speed?

Edzi

Ono confirmed Hillary Clinton

Anyone want to play? cfn: vulvaps4. About to log on

Sure, I was just about to hop on myself. I'll invite you in a sec, but fair warning, I haven't played in a while so I might switch around my characters to get back into the game.

Top Bottom