• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Skilletor

Yes it would, because if they went arcade, they would have chosen to build there own engine like SF4, because arcade load times need to be fast...and even if they kept UE4, they would have taken their time to make sure it loaded fast too..

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

So you never been to an arcade? all games in the arcade load fast it's one the most important requirements of putting a game in the arcades...Edit: SF4 PC is like the arcades, vs screen pop hit start and you are playing, it's no more than 3 secs after character selections..

And consoles have pretty much always had longer load times than the arcade.

This is fact, but these load times are truly console load times, they are too long for a fighting game, I can almost guarantee you had this game gone to the arcades with the UE4 engine, they would have found a way on console to make half of what is today, or even 60-70%...

So you never been to an arcade? all games in the arcade load fast it's one the most important requirements of putting a game in the arcades...Edit: SF4 PC is like the arcades, vs screen pop hit start and you are playing, it's no more than 3 secs after character selections..

I guess you haven´t heard of that other UE4 fighting game currently in arcades called Tekken 7 which has similar load times.

- J - D -

SFV's load times remind me of the (not) fun era of experiencing SF4's PS3 load times from the blu ray disc.

The most painful thing is having to wait like 2 minutes to get back into training mode after an online match.

I guess you haven´t heard of that other UE4 fighting game currently in arcades called Tekken 7 which has similar load times.

Well i don't have an arcade in my area anymore, those things are dead, so i wouldn't know, but as i stated they would have built their own engine to make sure load times would be fast...SF4 is a technical beauty, SF5 is rental engine nightmare..

SFV's load times remind me of the (not) fun era of experiencing SF4's PS3 load times from the blu ray disc.

The most painful thing is having to wait like 2 minutes to get back into training mode after an online match.

That's not the game loading, that's it communicating with the server. the game loads anything in a few seconds.

- J - D -

That's not the game loading, that's it communicating with the server. the game loads anything in a few seconds.

Then it's even more ridiculous that it takes so long to get back into training mode after a match. Like really, I don't need to see the Vs screen again before being dumped back into training. I know what character I chose and what dummy I chose, ffs.

Skilletor

This is fact, but these load times are truly console load times, they are too long for a fighting game, I can almost guarantee you had this game gone to the arcades with the UE4 engine, they would have found a way on console to make half of what is today, or even 60-70%...

Iuno, man, SF4 load times on PS3 were garbage.

JayEH

Well i don't have an arcade in my area anymore, those things are dead, so i wouldn't know, but as i stated they would have built their own engine to make sure load times would be fast...SF4 is a technical beauty, SF5 is rental engine nightmare..

You're not making any sense.

PC load times for SF4 were almost instant, you choose characters, you fighting almost right way.. when i speak, i am speaking from a PC point of view not console, SF5 load times are pathetic for PC..

Whales

Banned
just realized after messing around with ryu in training that his damage after a charged vtrigger hadoken guard break is like 50% lower

ShinMaruku

Both engines are pretty shit. SF4 ran terrible on ps3.

Same with Alex. It's barely worth it unless you're closing out the match.
His critical art is barely worth it in normal combos as it is.
Speaking of loading, why does it take half a century for the game to boot up after the last update?
Yeah, the last update absolutely borked loading. IIRC this is the first update that constantly needs to load at the start unlike the previous ones.
I'm cool with Alex and dhalsim having their aa jabs but for like ryu and necalli and whoever else..... Shit has got to go b.
Sim should keep his, but no jab should beat crossups. Alex can lose it and be given a meterless reversal in EX AKS instead because he SUCKS without one. Alex doesn't need jab AA mixups, but he does need a better wakeup game. It sounds so obvious, but I bet Capcom won't make the necessary change. His f.HP and cr.HP should be perfectly decent anti airs in season 2 with some tweaking.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Which is mostly artificial as I mentioned above. The load itself for assets is like 2 seconds.

Do you have a link to evidence or discussion of this? Why am I hearing about this theory for the first time right now when I've been following SFV OTs daily since launch?

Is there a tweak I can enable that will load back into training mode faster after a ranked/casual match?

SmokeMaxX

Regarding the AA jab- most people aren't complaining because they're "good." It's more because they're pretty dumb. I regularly use characters with floaty jumps that have an extremely hard time getting past fireball -> DP or sonic boom -> flash kick anyway. If every time I got jabbed, I was hit by a flash kick or a DP, I'd be a LOT happier even though I'm taking more damage.

mbpm1

Convincing your opponent to spend meter in an unwise way to avoid further pain is kinda neat. Sure, spend your v-trigger cancel on block if you like, I'll take that over facing a dangerous, any hit = easy super in neutral, situation.

I feel like Golds used to be better.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Convincing your opponent to spend meter in an unwise way to avoid further pain is kinda neat. Sure, spend your v-trigger cancel on block if you like, I'll take that over facing a dangerous, any hit = easy super in neutral, situation.

I feel like Golds used to be better.

The ones who were better are now Platinums.

Do you have a link to evidence or discussion of this? Why am I hearing about this theory for the first time right now when I've been following SFV OTs daily since launch?

Is there a tweak I can enable that will load back into training mode faster after a ranked/casual match?

I tested it myself, I wouldn't know of a tweak.

What's wrong with Alex's CA? don't all the CAs do the same damage?

Why would you think that?
All CAs do different damage, Balrog's is 330 in 1 hit, Gief's is 400 in 3 hits

Is there another fighting game where the consensus is both jump-ins and anti-airs are too good?

Not sure. They kind of keep each other in check, so this scenario is hard to imagine. Buy it might be out there somewhere!

Characters with a DP, shouldn't have AA jabs, as i stated game is a damn early access game, if it had gone through the arcades, load time wouldn't be bad, and there would have been a minimum of 1 balance before we got out hands on the game..

My friend error input and still beat me, Chun Li's standing medium kick beat Zangief medium kick from the air..I can go on and on about how many different characters standing buttons I have lost too in which these moves don't have any type of vertical attack and still won, game needs a serious looking at, and real balance...

I understand that there are a lot of aspects you don't like about the game, and that big aspects of SFV weren't working as intended upon release. But anti-air jabs never seemed like a mistake to me. They seemed like an intentional design choice. Obviously, not everyone thinks that this choice was the right one, but to lump the jabs in with clear flubs is a bit unfair.

Ryu and Necalli specifically who have meterless invincible DP's, should not have an anti air jab, and if either characters cross under and you don't block the right direction that's 30% of you health gone from jumping in once succumbing to a jab!

I hear the concern that characters with meterless, invincible DP's shouldn't have yet another strong anti-air tool in the jab. But I'm not convinced that having both of those tools makes a character too much to handle.

Sure, the mix-ups afterwards can be devastating, but that's the reward the other player gets for capitalizing on the high risk maneuver that you just made. Let's not forget that jumping is a big risk and that it too can yield big damage opportunities when used well.

I guess, at this point, it just comes down to personal preference. I personally don't mind when I catch an anti-air jab. It reminds me to calm down and be smarter about how I approach the opponent, no matter what character they may be. But to each their own, right?

What's wrong with Alex's CA? don't all the CAs do the same damage?
They absolutely don't. That would be weirder than equal health across the board.
I understand that there are a lot of aspects you don't like about the game, and that big aspects of SFV weren't working as intended upon release. But anti-air jabs never seemed like a mistake to me. They seemed like an intentional design choice. Obviously, not everyone thinks that this choice was the right one, but to lump the jabs in with clear flubs is a bit unfair.
You can tell how much intent there was when you look at character like Alex. Capcom literally flipped his standing jab and standing medium punch animations for SFV because there is no way they could make his 3S jab an AA without giving it hitboxes that MvC3 hitboxes look nerfed. Jab AAs were absolutely an intentional design choice. Turns out it was a bad idea even if done intentionally.
I hear the concern that characters with meterless, invincible DP's shouldn't have yet another strong anti-air tool in the jab. But I'm not convinced that having both of those tools makes a character too much to handle.

Sure, the mix-ups afterwards can be devastating, but that's the reward the other player gets for capitalizing on the high risk maneuver that you just made. Let's not forget that jumping is a big risk and that it too can yield big damage opportunities when used well.

I guess, at this point, it just comes down to personal preference. I personally don't mind when I catch an anti-air jab. It reminds me to calm down and be smarter about how I approach the opponent, no matter what character they may be. But to each their own, right?
It somewhat depends on the character. Karin has a invincible DP, but it costs meter and it is probably one of the worst metered reversals in the game. She has an AA jab, but you never hear about her ruining the game and she is the most used female in offline and online play.

Same with Alex. It's barely worth it unless you're closing out the match.

Alex can use the guard break to start his MP Flash Chop guessing game shenanigans though, so it does serve a purpose. Heck, just last week I won a match by following up guard break Sledgehammer with MP Chop, stMPxxEX Head Crush. It's positively devastating to an opponent who's on tilt.

Edzi

Alex can use the guard break to start his MP Flash Chop guessing game shenanigans though, so it does serve a purpose. Heck, just last week I won a match by following up guard break Sledgehammer with MP Chop, stMPxxEX Head Crush. It's positively devastating to an opponent who's on tilt.

Good point, I never considered that.

LakeEarth

Then it's even more ridiculous that it takes so long to get back into training mode after a match. Like really, I don't need to see the Vs screen again before being dumped back into training. I know what character I chose and what dummy I chose, ffs.

I think it loads faster if you pick training stage, while more complex stages add to the overall load time.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'd like to be able to log out of servers in the main menu. Training mode dropping frames because of jittery servers is pretty irritating.

mbpm1

Starting to actually have shimmy in my game. Managed to bait a Mika twice and win the set with it. Almost makes up for losing like 7 straight games

Well not really

Top Bottom