• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

I dunno what you're doing but my flash kick rarley loses. The only thing I get a noticeable occasional trade with is cannon strike, and even that I beat if I'm quick enough. Even without it's invincibility I think when it comes to straight AA control (not reversals and shit) it might be the best in the game. The range or the hit box or something on it is really good in V.

It's taken me a while to wrap my head around the way to zone with him in this game but it's all making sense now, and he does feel like one of if not the best defensive characters to me. Flash kick and v-skill are god.

I agree. Also, V-Skill baits so many more jump-ins, that I find myself hitting a lot more Flash Kicks than in other games because of that alone. Even better is when you have the right spacing to get the Sonic Cross out and still hit a Flash Kick on the jump-in. With perfect spacing, you can even knock the opponent into the Sonic Cross from the AA Flash Kick. I've done this exactly once in a match, but it was awesome.

One thing I've been messing with recently that's made Guile's AA even more dangerous is trying to see just how much of a buffer you have on the Sonic Cross input. You can have the Sonic Cross input in and be charging down-back well before the Sonic Blade animation even finishes. The window where the opponent can successfully hit you with a jump-in is much smaller than it seems.

Guile is so much fun in this game. Easily the most fun he's ever been.

Durden77

Really need help with Guile...wanna play tonight?

Sorry work made me sleep. Later tonight if my internet isn't garbage I'm down.

I agree. Also, V-Skill baits so many more jump-ins, that I find myself hitting a lot more Flash Kicks than in other games because of that alone. Even better is when you have the right spacing to get the Sonic Cross out and still hit a Flash Kick on the jump-in. With perfect spacing, you can even knock the opponent into the Sonic Cross from the AA Flash Kick. I've done this exactly once in a match, but it was awesome.

One thing I've been messing with recently that's made Guile's AA even more dangerous is trying to see just how much of a buffer you have on the Sonic Cross input. You can have the Sonic Cross input in and be charging down-back well before the Sonic Blade animation even finishes. The window where the opponent can successfully hit you with a jump-in is much smaller than it seems.

Yes. Yes to all this. It's that v-skill man and being able to keep a charge while using it. It's so important. Combined with his flash kick for baiting jump ins and general mind games takes his zoning to a whole new level in this game.

I've also been realizing that about the sonic cross as well. Managed to a pull out a flash kick a few times when I didn't think I'd have the charge.

And yes, fuck he is. So fun. He's so active in his zoning in this. When you're doing it correctly you feel like you're all over them without even touching them. They've gotten the way I want Guile to play god damn near perfect.

Sorry work made me sleep. Later tonight if my internet isn't garbage I'm down.

Yes. Yes to all this. It's that v-skill man and being able to keep a charge while using it. It's so important. Combined with his flash kick for baiting jump ins and general mind games takes his zoning to a whole new level in this game.

I've also been realizing that about the sonic cross as well. Managed to a pull out a flash kick a few times when I didn't think I'd have the charge.

And yes, fuck he is. So fun. He's so active in his zoning in this. When you're doing it correctly you feel like you're all over them without even touching them. He's god damn near perfect.

I'm going on a little bit of a tangent, but I also feel like people are sleeping on his Upside-Down Kick in this game. It adds an interesting, weird layer to the usual throw/crush counter mixup, especially against characters with command grabs, and doubles as an amazingly good footsies tool since it's no longer proximity-dependent, especially against characters like Chun and Karin that can beat out most of his other pokes.

Skilletor

This.

All of this.

This is the closest to HF Guile, imo, without being as stupid as HF Guile would be in any other game. He's ridiculously fun. Honestly, the only change I want is to extend the hitbox on his c.mk.

Durden77

I'm going on a little bit of a tangent, but I also feel like people are sleeping on his Upside-Down Kick in this game. It adds an interesting, weird layer to the usual throw/crush counter mixup, especially against characters with command grabs, and doubles as an amazingly good footsies tool since it's no longer proximity-dependent, especially against characters like Chun and Karin that can beat out most of his other pokes.

I need to mess with it more, I never use it but I know it has to have potential, especially what seems to me like you said as a footsie tool. Does it have more range than his s.hk? I will fuck with it in the training room tonight.

This.

All of this.

This is the closest to HF Guile, imo, without being as stupid as HF Guile would be in any other game. He's ridiculously fun. Honestly, the only change I want is to extend the hitbox on his c.mk.

That's the big one I want to see, too. I wouldn't mind s.HP being -2 on block and his health being increased to 1000, though...and maybe 1 frame faster startup on c.HP. His c.MK needs to have the range to push people out into the prime zone to jump into a Flash Kick, though, and it doesn't really do that right now in practice. It's the only thing that really feels missing from his gameplan right now.

I need to mess with it more, I never use it but I know it has to have potential, especially what seems to me like you said as a footsie tool. Does it have more range than his s.hk? I will fuck with it in the training room tonight.

The range is pretty close. Backfist, UDK, and s.HK all have pretty similar range. UDK is safer than s.HK, though, and a little more spammable in general since it doesn't move him forward. It might be his safest footsies tool overall since it blows up a lot of lows too.

It's also a great meaty since it's only -1 on block and easily confirmable into a c.LP->Sonic Boom/Flash Kick on counter hit, or even a s.MP->Backfist target.

Sets up for fun stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld362jocKjg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDET0BSI1KE

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain why many top karin players go for jab, jab after a jump-in and not cr.mp, st.mp or cr.mp, cr.mk? They lose out on so much damage, but I see it a lot. Especially from Shine during last night's NLBC.

edit: Just as I wrote this, Shine dropped the jf tenko and lost a round. That wouldn't have happened with the other buttons, either.

I think it already is. The majority have moved on fortunately.
Not sure if it's the same on all platforms, but on Steam:

USF4
Players in the last 2 weeks: 22,146 ± 3,840

SFV
Players in the last 2 weeks: 43,768 ± 5,398

Not that bad.

MrCarter

Not sure if it's the same on all platforms, but on Steam:

USF4
Players in the last 2 weeks: 22,146 ± 3,840

SFV
Players in the last 2 weeks: 43,768 ± 5,398

Not that bad.

Ah nice looks like it's still going on PC but I assume that number will go down year on year.

Producer

Can someone explain why many top karin players go for jab, jab after a jump-in and not cr.mp, st.mp or cr.mp, cr.mk? They lose out on so much damage, but I see it a lot. Especially from Shine during last night's NLBC.

edit: Just as I wrote this, Shine dropped the jf tenko and lost a round. That wouldn't have happened with the other buttons, either.

If they're doing an early jMK jump in there might not be enough hitstun to connect a medium.

xabi

The range is pretty close. Backfist, UDK, and s.HK all have pretty similar range. UDK is safer than s.HK, though, and a little more spammable in general since it doesn't move him forward. It might be his safest footsies tool overall since it blows up a lot of lows too.

It's also a great meaty since it's only -1 on block and easily confirmable into a c.LP->Sonic Boom/Flash Kick on counter hit, or even a s.MP->Backfist target.

Wow, need to hit up the lab tonight to mess with UDK meaty. I must say I have never used it as one (use MP or HK most of the time). Thanks for sending

Wow, need to hit up the lab tonight to mess with UDK meaty. I must say I have never used it as one (use MP or HK most of the time). Thanks for sending

No problem. :)

s.MP into UDK also works if you condition people to expect a throw after s.MP, since UDK is throw invincible from frame 8, if you want something safer for the mixup than s.HP.

LakeEarth

Someone in that other thread tried to say that SF5 has "more bullshit" than SF4 had. It's like vortexes and safe invincible moves were suddenly wiped away from our memories.

Marvel

could never
Bought the season pass today, OK Juri is fun. Once you get her combo's going it feels like it never stops lol. Something I like as a vet KI player.

MrCarter

Someone in that other thread tried to say that SF5 has "more bullshit" than SF4 had. It's like vortexes and safe invincible moves were suddenly wiped away from our memories.

I know I was taken aback by that comment because I wasn't sure if they were being serious or not. Vortexes, invincibles, defence FADC's etc were all the things that made SFIV one of the worst entries in the series for me.

MrCarter

SF4 best game

latest

LakeEarth

Dat Dee Jay, eh?

Remember the update where they actually nerfed Dee Jay, and "balanced" it by adding some counterhit s.fp juggle nonsense that had next to no use?

After so many iterations of that game, that character never even touched mid-tier. Even Hakan got good eventually.

mbpm1

Remember the update where they actually nerfed Dee Jay, and "balanced" it by adding some counterhit s.fp juggle nonsense that had next to no use?

After so many iterations of that game, that character never even touched mid-tier. Even Hakan got good eventually.

bc fuck deejay

Durden77

Mmmmm....tasty. Very interesting stuff. I didn't know you could get a s.mp off of it.

Yeah Guile is bleeding with potential I feel like in this game. That and it seems like a lot of people don't understand what he's capable of now. He's not Ryu, but he is extremely strong in what he's supposed to do to the point to where now that I've figured that out I really don't think his boom recovery needs to be lessened like so many people seem to think.

As far as the changes you listed earlier, as much as I would RELISH in s.hp being -2 on block (I still use it too much in meaties because it's so meaty and people don't punish me for it), that might be a little too much for him. It's a good fucking normal and CCs into some of the easiest free damage. It probably should be saved for risky meaties and combos.

I can definitely agree with working on c.mk. It works well enough for me, but something about it just feels off. I do think c.hp should be about 1 frame faster, and he could maaaayyyybbbeee use the health boost to 1000. But if he gets more than that people will very quickly see he's too much.

Mmmmm....tasty. Very interesting stuff. I didn't know you could get a s.mp off of it.

Yeah Guile is bleeding with potential I feel like in this game. That and it seems like a lot of people don't understand what he's capable of now. He's not Ryu, but he is extremely strong in what he's supposed to do to the point to where now that I've figured that out I really don't think his boom recovery needs to be lessened like so many people seem to think.

As far as the changes you listed earlier, as much as I would RELISH in s.hp being -2 on block (I still use it too much in meaties because it's so meaty and people don't punish me for it), that might be a little too much for him. It's a good fucking normal and CCs into some of the easiest free damage. It probably should be saved for risky meaties and combos.

I can definitely agree with working on c.mk. It works well enough for me, but something about it just feels off. I do think c.hp should be about 1 frame faster, and he could maaaayyyybbbeee use the health boost to 1000. But if he gets more than that people will very quickly see he's too much.

Yeah, the fair and rational part of my brain keeps saying how -2 on block for s.HP would be too much, but the Guile main in me just wants to stick that button out there consequence free all the time.

I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Guile gets overly buffed in season 2, since he isn't getting a lot of play now, and just runs wild on the game after a bit, similar to what happened going from vanilla SF4 to Super. He feels solidly upper-mid to me right now, just shy of the top 8, but is generally treated as if he's low tier.

Exr

Gotta agree with people in here, I never play Guile but Im loving him in this game. The mindgames with the v skill makes him a ton of fun.

Yeah, the fair and rational part of my brain keeps saying how -2 on block for s.HP would be too much, but the Guile main in me just wants to stick that button out there consequence free all the time.

I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Guile gets overly buffed in season 2, since he isn't getting a lot of play now, and just runs wild on the game after a bit, similar to what happened going from vanilla SF4 to Super. He feels solidly upper-mid to me right now, just shy of the top 8, but is generally treated as if he's low tier.
I think Guile and Balrog get underestimated a lot. Personally, I can't stand fighting Guile in this game with that v-skill of his. He feels like the most solid of all the DLC characters (since Balrog's wakeup game is pretty bad), but people keep telling me that Juri is the best of them and I can't for the life of me get what she is even trying to do in this game.

I dont think thats a problem at all imo. Just that its 3 bars and she has 900 health lol

oh v-trigger is just one of the many problems plaguing this character...

IMO she is the worst character in SFV, out of all the new characters, she need to be taken back to the drawing board and complete redesign...she just comes off a rushed character, when the community heard no character for like 2 months it become toxic and Capcom cracked under the toxic pressure and released her, along with a crappy Balrog..

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If they're doing an early jMK jump in there might not be enough hitstun to connect a medium.
I've fumbled around with it and I guess it's actually about blockstun. Jabs and light kicks come out quick enough to make it a true blockstring, I guess.

lupinko

When is the maintenance update for this month? Or did it already happen? Google is awful for it as it only brings up redundant links about when those writers think Urien will be added.

Top Bottom