• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

giphy.gif

Charlie has the best meaties. F.MK is especially good against grapplers on tilt.

Moving forward just a little bit is enough for Charlie to hit his meaty overhead. Sweeps also work if the opponent is expecting that.

Only if your timing is off

I love Deejay, but I just couldn't play him for long in 4 without a decent way to combo into Ultra. In V I would probably try to main him immediately.

I keep imagining him with a few things:

1. A projectile that behaves similarly to Chun's, in that it loses distance but travels faster, the stronger the punch button used, but unlike Chun's, it would have more frame advantage at the cost of more startup, similar to Nash.
  2. A V-Skill that lets him do a little shuffle forward while maintaining charge.
  3. V-Trigger is 2 bars and gives him access to Dread Carnival.
  4. A s.HK crush counter similar to Ken and Necalli.

So he'd have bonkers stuff off of crush counters like:

s.HK CC-> HP Air Slasher -> V-Skill -> c.MP -> EX Machine Gun Upper -> EX Jackknife​

or​

s.HK CC-> HP Air Slasher -> V-Skill -> Dread Kick -> VTC -> s.MK -> Dread Carnival -> Super (changed to Sonic Hurricane input)​

As weaknesses: No invincible reversal. (Jackknife would behave similarly to Nash's HK/EX Sonic Scythe), low meterless damage.

I don't know if all that is what Dee Jay mains would want, but I'd be hyped to play that character.

mbpm1

But it can parry normal attacks.

It has long startup, long recovery, doesn't offer a lot without the followup attack and the followup attack also has long startup IIRC

Eh. In cases where you might want to use it, you would just as easily use a safer normal to counterpoke. Like st. hk

played a ken that constantly canceled normals into run on block and I couldnt punish at all with bison, the run is negative 6 so what gives?

Everything i tried would get counter hit, went into training mode and my jab would punish fine

mbpm1

played a ken that constantly canceled normals into run on block and I couldnt punish at all with bison, the run is negative 6 so what gives?

Everything i tried would get counter hit, went into training mode and my jab would punish fine

Blame rollback and 8 frames.

mbpm1

lol trust me I was.

Anyone have any insight? I dont believe it was just lag

It's naturally hard to punish. If he was doing it every time and you were expecting it every time though, idk, you were just hitting the button itself too late. Ken actually has deliberately less hitstop with some buttons than is normal for every other character in the game, so you need to press your button earlier.

The real test is when they actually mix it up.

Durden77

What's your CFN?

Finally got my PS4 back, now I can't remember what email I used for my other account :-(

GetTheData - I should be on after work tonight

Man the Bison/Guile match-up is so weird now. I think Bison may actually have the advantage now. But then again I've always sucked against Bison in this game.

GetTheData - I should be on after work tonight

Man the Bison/Guile match-up is so weird now. I think Bison may actually have the advantage now. But then again I've always sucked against Bison in this game.

I despised this matchup early on, but I think Guile still wins it, even if it's much closer than it used to be. Some stuff I've been doing lately when fighting Bison:

• Throwing a boom from outside about 3/4 screen will allow you to punish him with a jump-in combo if he tries using V-Skill.
  • Jabbing sloppy dashes on reaction.
  • V-Reversals ruin his day in general. If you block knee press, V-Reversal. If he starts a blockstring/frame trap, V-Reversal.
  • He has a hard time dealing with neutral jumps. He'll either slide/knee press, which you can punish with a j.HP or j.HK->s.HP->c.MP->Flash Kick combo, or he'll try to head stomp or air-to-air, which j.MP will generally stuff cleanly.
  • Bison will either cower or panic when he sees a slow Sonic Cross floating at him. Walk behind it and use it to push him in the corner or bait a jump, which you can either air throw or j.MP on reaction.
  • Bison likes throws. Make him hate Upside Down Kicks.
  • Guile absolutely destroys a cornered Bison. Once you've got him cornered, you've likely already won if you just play basic Guile and don't make any major mistakes.
This stuff usually works pretty well. The overall goal in the Bison matchup is to slowly back him into the corner and then just keep him locked down once he's there, and to V-Reversal him a lot to keep him from getting any momentum.

Durden77

I despised this matchup early on, but I think Guile still wins it, even if it's much closer than it used to be. Some stuff I've been doing lately when fighting Bison:

• Throwing a boom from outside about 3/4 screen will allow you to punish him with a jump-in combo if he tries using V-Skill.
  • Jabbing sloppy dashes on reaction.
  • V-Reversals ruin his day in general. If you block knee press, V-Reversal. If he starts a blockstring/frame trap, V-Reversal.
  • He has a hard time dealing with neutral jumps. He'll either slide/knee press, which you can punish with a j.HP or j.HK->s.HP->c.MP->Flash Kick combo, or he'll try to head stomp or air-to-air, which j.MP will generally stuff cleanly.
  • Bison will either cower or panic when he sees a slow Sonic Cross floating at him. Walk behind it and use it to push him in the corner or bait a jump, which you can either air throw or j.MP on reaction.
  • Bison likes throws. Make him hate Upside Down Kicks.
  • Guile absolutely destroys a cornered Bison. Once you've got him cornered, you've likely already won if you just play basic Guile and don't make any major mistakes.
This stuff usually works pretty well. The overall goal in the Bison matchup is to slowly back him into the corner and then just keep him locked down once he's there, and to V-Reversal him a lot to keep him from getting any momentum.

Awesome awesome. Thanks for all of this. Bison has always been one of my worst match-ups. I never feel like I can get a good "grip" on him in this game. But this outline will certainly help and I'll put it to use. Often time he just eats me up with throws. I'm still not used to reacting correctly to his dash.

I huge thing I need to work on is V-Reversals. I rarely use them and forget they exist too much. I'll make it a point to use them against Bison and hopefully that well get me into the habit of using them more frequently. I know they have to help Guile so much.

Awesome awesome. Thanks for all of this. Bison has always been one of my worst match-ups. I never feel like I can get a good "grip" on him in this game. But this outline will certainly help and I'll put it to use. Often time he just eats me up with throws. I'm still not used to reacting correctly to his dash.

I huge thing I need to work on is V-Reversals. I rarely use them and forget they exist too much. I'll make it a point to use them against Bison and hopefully that well get me into the habit of using them more frequently. I know they have to help Guile so much.

No problem.

I need to use a little bit more restraint with V-Reversals, myself. I use them on jabs and jump-ins too much when I get antsy and eat throws. But they definitely do make up a bit for Guile's lack of invincible meterless Flash Kicks in this game, and usually knock the opponent into a pretty good position for him to put out a Sonic Cross or just GTFO.

xabi

Bisons were my kryptonite for a really long time, but I feel like in the last couple of months I have a better handle on it. You just gotta be patient...

Besides the stuff that GuileBootCamp mentioned, I have also found that frame traps work well against a lot of Bison players. Maybe it is because most of them are so eager to start their own frame trap strings going, but in a lot of the recent matches I have had, opponents don't really "wait their turn".

Bison does not have a good anti air option, so you can do
J. HP, MP, Cr. LP, Sonic Boom
or
Cross Up J. LK, MP, Cr LP, Cr MP, Sonic Boom

If they try anything between blocks, they get hit. If they block either of those strings, they are too far back to start their own strings, and Guile is totally safe and in a good position.

Btw, GuileBootCamp, the meaty UDK shenanigans you posted worked wonders for me yesterday!

Btw, GuileBootCamp, the meaty UDK shenanigans you posted worked wonders for me yesterday!

Glad to hear it. They're fun. :D

And I've gotten the impression that it's a pretty common thing for Guile mains to get whiplash at first going into the SFV Bison matchup, compared to what it used to be.

Kashiwaba

No problem.

I need to use a little bit more restraint with V-Reversals, myself. I use them on jabs and jump-ins too much when I get antsy and eat throws. But they definitely do make up a bit for Guile's lack of invincible meterless Flash Kicks in this game, and usually knock the opponent into a pretty good position for him to put out a Sonic Cross or just GTFO.

There is this super gold or Gold Guile i think his CFN is noodleeater I've been running into him a lot recently in casual i played him like 8 or 9 times but i was never able to take even one round from him he had a almost a perfect defense i could never get past his sonic booms, v trigger and his flash kicks I'm really starting to think Guile is in no way a low tier.

jwillenn

I'm being lazy here but can someone tell me what time that TGS tournament starts?

Nevermind. 8PM Central on CapcomFighters!

There is this super gold or Gold Guile i think his CFN is noodleeater I've been running into him a lot recently in casual i played him like 8 or 9 times but i was never able to take even one round from him he had a almost a perfect defense i could never get past his sonic booms, v trigger and his flash kicks I'm really starting to think Guile is in no way a low tier.

He's pretty underrated. I think all of the DLC characters are to some extent, but Guile probably has the least problems. The only characters I'd without a doubt put over him are Ryu, Chun, Nash, Necalli, and Ken. Even Cammy, Mika, and to a lesser extent Karin feel iffy to me. I think the biggest things contributing to the "Guile is low tier" narrative are Dieminion's struggle to pick him up initially (which he's since admitted that he was trying to play him too much like SF4 Guile) and the fact that Guile's BnB and super cancels require a decent amount of execution compared to the average in this game.

Durden77

Bisons were my kryptonite for a really long time, but I feel like in the last couple of months I have a better handle on it. You just gotta be patient...

Besides the stuff that GuileBootCamp mentioned, I have also found that frame traps work well against a lot of Bison players. Maybe it is because most of them are so eager to start their own frame trap strings going, but in a lot of the recent matches I have had, opponents don't really "wait their turn".

Bison does not have a good anti air option, so you can do
J. HP, MP, Cr. LP, Sonic Boom
or
Cross Up J. LK, MP, Cr LP, Cr MP, Sonic Boom

If they try anything between blocks, they get hit. If they block either of those strings, they are too far back to start their own strings, and Guile is totally safe and in a good position.

I actually started noticing this myself on a Bison I was playing last night regarding frame traps. He was getting hit by my simple j.lk c.lp>c.lp>c.mp>boom frame trap quite often but it didn't really register with me what was happening. I also don't use s.mp as a frame trap starter hardly at all when it seems to be one of his best. Really gotta get on that. Awesome tips, thank you. I'll get this matchup yet.

Yeah, he's not. Like GuileBootCamp said, I think people just wrote him off way too quick because no invincible meter-less flash kicks and OMG I HAVE TO PLAY HIM DIFFERENTLY THAN IV. Luckily for me, the way he plays in V is the way I've always really wanted to play him in IV, so he felt amazing right from the start.

He is easily mid tier and most likely mid-high. The only characters I noticeably see above him, like once again similar to what GuileBootCamp said, are Ryu, Chun, and Necalli. I would trade Nash for Karin in my list compared to yours GuileBootCamp, but I always have trouble with Karin.

And FUCK NECALLI. FUCK HIM SO HARD. Probably my least favorite character to fight in the game.

xabi

And FUCK NECALLI. FUCK HIM SO HARD. Probably my least favorite character to fight in the game.

My advice is to pick Necalli up and learn to play him for a week's worth of sessions...that's what I have been doing, working my way through all the characters slowly. You may not win as many matches, but you will get much better at fundamentals of the game, and you will learn Necalli's weaknesses.

So great mirror matching a Ken and watching them hang themselves on stupid shoryukens.

I refuse to play Ken long term but hell if he ain't fun.

Stream on capcomfighters?

Is it being streamed?

Check this post for details

The Street Fighter V event at Tokyo Games Show is in around 12/13 hours from now. They also have an event on Sunday.

September 17:

10:25 to 11:05 – Street Fighter V Special Stage – Featuring Tomoaki Ayano (assistant producer) and guest Kazunoko (pro-gamer). Come see the true ability of the Capcom Tour 2015 champion! There may be some new information, too!

11:05 to 11:15 – Street Fighter V Studio Talk

http://youtu.be/wGTty0e4Z1w

September 18:

15:00 to 15:30 – Street Fighter V Update Information and Live Gameplay – Featuring Tomoaki Ayano (assistant producer).

http://youtu.be/HuvihCmw99w

Check here for local times:

http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com

New info both days?

Probably release date today and showcasing some cool stuff tomorrow with release date on DLC. Not gonna hype myself up for nothin'

Top Bottom