• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

FluxWaveZ

In 3S he felt like he was a rushdown/trap character. The projectiles would knock you out of the air for some painful headbutting/tackling and blocking a reflector would pin you in the corner for some overhead/low goodness. Even getting hit by the reflector just allows him to keep beating on you with normals.

Here's a video of Tokido running a train on Justin Wong as Urien; should give you a decent idea of how he's meant to be played.

https://youtu.be/q1r82kmXSPo

Thanks. I never really thought about him much but, surprisingly, he might be a character I latch onto because this is sounding in line with my playstyle.

Rushdown character with a mix-up/trap focus. I suppose as a Mika player, I can't not be interested in that.

Tripon

There's a difference in not making it to top 8 and drowning in pools. The latter was very rare for a pro player in 4.

edit: And Mago placed 5th at CEO after winning SEAM.

Shinakuma666 says otherwise.

Edit: are we really claiming the game is random because of the pools at Japan Cup? Have you seen the results of last TGS? This shit is always brutal. Daigo went 1-2. So did Snakeyes.

Capcom Cup TGS 2015 results

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...nake-eyez-nemo-fuudo-pr-balrog-uryo-and-more/
Ultra Street Fighter 4 — Results

1. YBK|Dashio (Seth)
2. RB|Bonchan (Sagat)
3. Infiltration (Decapre, Akuma, Gouken)
4. BE|Nemo (Rolento, Decapre)
5. AvM|GamerBee (Adon, Elena)
5. MCZ|Mago (Yang)
7. YBK|Kawaguchi (Rose)
7. -6 (Poison)

9. AiAi (Juri)
9. Shimauta (Ibuki)
9. KojiKOG (T. Hawk)
9. RZR|Fuudo (Fei Long)
13. Akimo (Elena)
13. Twiggy (T. Hawk)
13. Kazunoko (Yun)
13. MF|Tonpy (C. Viper)

17. Brawl|Haitani (Makoto)
17. RZR|Itabashi Zangief (Zangief)
17. wao (Oni)
17. Ebi (Hakan)
17. FGC|Pepeday (El Fuerte)
17. Kyoku (Yang)
17. Gachikun (Sagat)
17. MOV (Ibuki)

25. Inco (Rufus)
25. pH|Hoodaman (E. Honda)
25. MeiMomo (Guy)
25. Misse (Makoto)
25. FGC|Ooitajin (Chun-Li)
25. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)
25. /r/Kappa|Poongko (Seth)
25. Hishow Rabbit

33. Kindou (Guy)
33. RB|Snake Eyez (Zangief)
33. Uryo (Sakura)
33. Youshikibi (Cammy)
33. Kenzou (Akuma)
33. Reiketsu (Vega)
33. Meu (Makoto)
33. Harideshi (M. Bison)
33. Nishikin (Blanka)
33. Duke Higashi (Dudley)
33. Sabohani (C. Viper)
33. CCG|HumanBomb (Sakura)
33. MCZ|Daigo (Evil Ryu)
33. EG|PR Balrog (Balrog)
33. Usami Mushiko (E. Honda)
33. Keiji N (Dee Jay)

49. WhiteFang (Hugo)
49. Eita (Akuma)
49. YBK|Shirou (Abel)
49. Laugh (Evil Ryu)
49. EG|ChocoBlanka (Blanka)
49. Uzura (Akuma)
49. EG|K-Brad (Cammy)
49. Crocodile
49. Doons (Cody)
49. Harumi (Ibuki)
49. HopaOji
49. Matsuri (Chun-Li)
49. Kyabetsu (C. Viper)
49. DBKoopa (Yun)
49. Limecay (Adon)
49. FDY|StormKubo (Hugo)

Moaradin

Urien is gonna be super fun in this game if he's relatively unchanged from the story version. I had fun just doing combos in training mode, but he's gonna be a character I really suck with since I find it very hard to open people up with him.

I don't think the problem with DLC chars is strictly related to how decent they are. With CPT going on, most prominent players don't have enough strong of a reason to switch if the char is not openly better (Problem X dropping Bison) or simply they didn't have a clear main in the launch roster (ISDD).

In the end it's pros that move the chars forward and make them viable and find game plans for them. Like, Mika was this super crazy char early game and turns out the two best Mikas play really lame (Fuudo and Luffy). I'm looking forward to seeing some pro give a DLC char the chance in the next CPT season.
Season 1 characters will obviously get play at next year's CPT once balance changes are made. No way they'd get much more use next year as they are, though. No secret Alex or Ibuki tech will propel them forward enough to justify switching from many of the other strong launch roster characters for most players.
lol @ the Guile/Alex matchup being in Alex's favour.

Sure, he has great pressure once he gets in, but getting in is stupidly hard. Even then, Guile has access to an invincible reversal so if he has even one bar then Alex has to be super careful lest he eat an EX Flash Kick and get sent back to square one

AA jab is kind of meaningless too since Guile can cover his jump-ins with Sonic Boom/Sonic Cross. Both stomp and Head Crush can get stuffed on-reaction by Flash Kick and crHP as well, so against a smart Guile who knows the matchup you're not gonna be getting very many off unless you make hard reads.

I'm not saying the matchup's impossible for Alex; far from it. But saying that's it's one of Guile's worst matchups is pure fallacy imo, especially when there are better pressure characters and better grapplers who give Guile an even harder time.
Some of that was me, Durden77 and xabi contributed a lot too.

Alex does generally beat a cornered Guile, but that's probably the only time he's at an advantage in the matchup. If Guile has Alex cornered, it's even harder for Alex to deal with, and Guile easily wins in the neutral game on top of it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how annoying this matchup was. I've fought Guiles that just shut Alex down completely unless they walk themselves into a corner. My Stomps/Stun Guns all get beat by his annoying V-skill , EX Slash Elbow gets shut down by V-skill reinforced 2 hit booms and his AAs are good enough to keep Alex from jumping in. The only times I felt comfortable with the matchup were when Guile was cornered or in knockdown state without EX meter.
Urien is gonna be super fun in this game if he's relatively unchanged from the story version. I had fun just doing combos in training mode, but he's gonna be a character I really suck with since I find it very hard to open people up with him.
I enjoy using him casually in 3S, but I'm hesitant to spend money on his SFV version without more testing. Capcom really needs to add double LP weekends and the rare "____ DLC character" weekends to encourage purchases.

lol @ the Guile/Alex matchup being in Alex's favour.

Sure, he has great pressure once he gets in, but getting in is stupidly hard. Even then, Guile has access to an invincible reversal so if he has even one bar then Alex has to be super careful lest he eat an EX Flash Kick and get sent back to square one

AA jab is kind of meaningless too since Guile can cover his jump-ins with Sonic Boom/Sonic Cross. Both stomp and Head Crush can get stuffed on-reaction by Flash Kick and crHP as well, so against a smart Guile who knows the matchup you're not gonna be getting very many off unless you make hard reads.

I'm not saying the matchup's impossible for Alex; far from it. But saying that's it's one of Guile's worst matchups is pure fallacy imo, especially when there are better pressure characters and better grapplers who give Guile an even harder time.

Every player has to be careful with Invincible Reversal but at the same time have to be careful using it and not get crush counter. It's still a tough match up for Guile. Guile is not going to go very far unless the opponent likes to mash buttons.

Sigmaah

Urien already the best dlc char and he ain't even out yet lmao. Only thing I won't have is a cross up but that's not much of a biggie.

Moaradin

I think it works like Alex's V-skill, so he has to not use moves or not get hit to make use of it after.

Won't be a problem if he gets the knockdown though, especially when he v-trgigers.

It doesn't work like that. At least it didn't back then. He keeps his V-Skill charge even after getting hit and knocked down. It only gets used when he uses his special moves.

Street Fighter EX characters are going up on the CFN Portal:

Darun Mister
ex00.jpg

Doctrine Dark
ex01.jpg

#DDarkForSeason2

Also, apparently Darun is canon as Zangief's friend he gave the chess piece to in Story Mode.

Urien ex headbutt is safe and works as a dp essentially, or am I bugging?

I think it's like -11 on block so not exactly safe, but it's still a godsend. V-Skill takes almost a full second to stock but once it does you can pretty much play as lame as you want cuz LP Headbutt IS safe on block.

Every player has to be careful with Invincible Reversal but at the same time have to be careful using it and not get crush counter. It's still a tough match up for Guile. Guile is not going to go very far unless the opponent likes to mash buttons.

Sure, every character has to be careful with an invincible reversal, but Alex's entire gameplan is focused on oki pressure and even just the threat of an invincible reversal throws a massive monkey wrench into it.

Let's put it this way: the only scenario in which Alex has a clear advantage is if Guile is in the corner with no meter. If Guile is in the corner with meter it's a stalemate as both players have to make a correct guess to gain their momentum back. If both players are in neutral, if Alex is in the corner with or without meter or even if Alex is trying to confirm blockstrings, Guile has the clear advantage. That's one scenario that's good for Alex vs. one that's a stalemate and three that are good for Guile.

There is literally no amount of mental backflips you can perform to try and make this matchup look overwhelmingly good for Alex.

mbpm1

Let's put it this way: the only scenario in which Alex has a clear advantage is if Guile is in the corner with no meter. If Guile is in the corner with meter it's a stalemate as both players have to make a correct guess to gain their momentum back. If both players are in neutral, if Alex is in the corner with or without meter or even if Alex is trying to confirm blockstrings, Guile has the clear advantage. That's one scenario that's good for Alex vs. one that's a stalemate and three that are good for Guile.

I think this applies for more than just Alex.

I really need to figure out how to fight him as Juri. 5 - 0 feelsbadman

I think this applies for more than just Alex.

I really need to figure out how to fight him as Juri. 5 - 0 feelsbadman

Alex has shit anti-airs, constant crossups after knockdown aren't something he can easily deal with. Just watch his meter cause ex knee drop is pretty good, and if he does AA jab be ready to tech throw, I catch way too many people with that. EX elbow dash is super unsafe on block, go for a max punish on that. Put him in the corner and don't give him any room to work with.

mbpm1

Alex has shit anti-airs, constant crossups after knockdown aren't something he can easily deal with. Just watch his meter cause ex knee drop is pretty good, and if he does AA jab be ready to tech throw, I catch way too many people with that. EX elbow dash is super unsafe on block, go for a max punish on that. Put him in the corner and don't give him any room to work with.

I meant fighting Guile. Alex is tough too, but at least I have experience against him. thanks anyway.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
His standing jab is godlike...

Neoxon

So 80% of the CPT DLC profits will go towards the CPT as a whole, 30% of which will be for the Capcom Cup prize pool.

That sounds fair. Still a bit pricey, but the money seems to be well-used. Though judging by Capcom saying that the Capcom Cup 2016 winner will be able to design an alternate costume like what happened with the Necalli alt, I'm guessing that there will be another CPT DLC pack for the 2017 season.

So Capcom got the EX character rights from Akira? Well damn.

Either that or Akira just signed off on Capcom using the characters.
Possibly, or they just don't have a problem with Capcom creating some new promotional artwork for them.

They're doing the same thing that they did with the CFA characters by giving them different backgrounds.

P.S. Please do Slam Masters characters next.

DR2K

Banned
Take away something integral to high level play, replace with gimmicks. Yup on par with the DLC characters thus far.

That's a lot of DLC sold for what I thought was so hated by the community.

Yeah, this is always on the top of the add on charts since release.

I hope they bring EX characters into the canon. That shit got dark. Akuma got killed off, D. Dark's history with Guile, Ryu willingly accepts Bison's brainwashing, etc.

When asked why he chose Necalli, he mentioned that he thought the character looked cool and hopes that with a new costume even more players will pick him up.

Sorry Kaz, heavy metal Necalli alt did much more to interest me in the character than that champ choice getup

Top Bottom