• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
We should have seen this cumming.

CnNrn5f.png

LakeEarth

Good shit to the Zangief that avoided my anti-air super (Balrog) by doing his air SPD to hover, then immediately sucking me in with v-trigger for the kill. I'm surprised no other Zangief has done that to me before.

What would I change for Guile?
1) Give Guile Nash's Cr MK in terms of range/properties
2) Give Guile Nash's St MP range and comboability from Cr MP
3) Allow Guile to cancel St MP into sonic boom

Some things in response to this:

1) Yeah, c.MK could use a buff. A slight buff to range, a better hitbox, maybe both. I wouldn't say it's ass, but opponents don't really have to respect it as much as they should for Guile to feel completely like he's fundamentally Guile.

2) Giving Guile Nash's s.MP would be a nerf in some ways. s.HP covers a lot of the same combo-ability that Nash's s.MP does, but if Guile's s.MP was made to be like Nash's, he'd lose his best frame trap tool and mixup tool. From s.MP, based on how the opponent's conditioned, Guile can:

1. Frame trap with s.LP/c.LP/c.MP if the opponent throws out a 3 frame normal and land a counter hit combo.

2. Throw.

3. Hit a s.HP CC or Upside Down Kick if the opponent goes to tech a throw. The s.HP CC will also beat 4-framers.

4. Hit a low if the opponent is walking back.​

3) With all of the utility s.MP already has, allowing Guile to cancel into a Boom might be too much. Or maybe not. I'm not sure. In any case, he can still combo into a s.LP from it into a boom, and c.MP or s.HP->c.MP are more optimal anyway, since they allow him to combo into either a Boom or a Flash Kick. I used to think s.MP needed a buff because of its lack of range and cancel-ability, but the more time I put into Guile in this game the more I realized it's one of his best new tools.

Some things in response to this:

1) Yeah, c.MK could use a buff. A slight buff to range, a better hitbox, maybe both. I wouldn't say it's ass, but opponents don't really have to respect it as much as they should for Guile to feel completely like he's fundamentally Guile.

2) Giving Guile Nash's s.MP would be a nerf in some ways. s.HP covers a lot of the same combo-ability that Nash's s.MP does, but if Guile's s.MP was made to be like Nash's, he'd lose his best frame trap tool and mixup tool. From s.MP, based on how the opponent's conditioned, Guile can:

1. Frame trap with s.LP/c.LP/c.MP if the opponent throws out a 3 frame normal and land a counter hit combo.

2. Throw.

3. Hit a s.HP CC or Upside Down Kick if the opponent goes to tech a throw.

4. Hit a low if the opponent is walking back.​

3) With all of the utility s.MP already has, allowing Guile to cancel into a Boom might be too much. Or maybe not. I'm not sure. In any case, he can still combo into a s.LP from it into a boom, and c.MP or s.HP->c.MP are more optimal anyway, since they allow him to combo into either a Boom or a Flash Kick. I used to think s.MP needed a buff because of its lack of range and cancel-ability, but the more time I put into Guile in this game the more I realized it's one of his best new tools.
Hey which area are you from? I need to learn the Guile MU and barely anybody plays Guile lol

Well that theory of Matchmaking Server Picker is dead. Ran into many players outside the US and reaching all the way to the Philippines.

Then I ran into a Canadian Mika who made Cr.HP +2 on block. There are two types of lag in this game, one where players skipping tons of frame animation and the other where it looks smooth but the frame data is fucked and meaties are ignored as the opponent just walks back.

lupinko

Well that theory of Matchmaking Server Picker is dead. Ran into many players outside the US and reaching all the way to the Philippines.

Then I ran into a Canadian Mika who made Cr.HP +2 on block. There are two types of lag in this game, one where players skipping tons of frame animation and the other where it looks smooth, the frame data is fucked and ignore meaties as they just hold back as it goes through them

Really? That's interesting, because I think I've only ever ran into players near me (Japan, Korea, China), the furthest and worst lag coming from the Philippines and Australia.

Basically I haven't played anyone across the Pacific yet or westward past China.

I'm in Japan.

Kikirin

There are two types of lag in this game, one where players skipping tons of frame animation and the other where it looks smooth, the frame data is fucked and ignore meaties as they just hold back as it goes through them

Definitely feels like this is the case. The latter type in particular frustrates me a lot since it lets my regular sparring pal play like a total nut with no recourse.

Sigmaah

Yo how do I stream? What do I need besides a webcam? tryna stream eventually cause I got some free time when I get outta work and I've always wanted to stream, shit seems fun.

LakeEarth

I love Urien's voice. . It's clearly a different person from 3S, but definitely has that same tone of 'gravelly bad ass' thing going. It was tough for me to get used to Dudley in SF4 because the voice was so different from 3S, not even the same type of British accent.

I love Urien's voice. . It's clearly a different person from 3S, but definitely has that same tone of 'gravelly bad ass' thing going. It was tough for me to get used to Dudley in SF4 because the voice was so different from 3S, not even the same type of British accent.
Dudley's voice is probably the only reason I go back and occasionally play 3S. I do hope he makes it into SF5 at some point.

- J - D -

Wow, some of you are good at picking out differences in character voices/performances throughout the series.

The only one that ever stuck out for me is Guile throughout the ages, and only because of how distinctly each actor says "Sonic boom!" or "Somersault!".

Wow, some of you are good at picking out differences in character voices/performances throughout the series.

The only one that ever stuck out for me is Guile throughout the ages, and only because of how distinctly each actor says "Sonic boom!" or "Somersault!".

SF2: Sonic. Boom!
SSF2: Sonic Bewm!
SFEX: Sonikaboom! Summaso!
SFA3: Sawnic Buehm. Sommasaw!
CvS: Sunic Kapoouh! Sommosaur!
SF4: SONIC BOOM! FLASH KICK!
SFV: Sonic Boom! Somersault!

LakeEarth

Dudley's voice is probably the only reason I go back and occasionally play 3S. I do hope he makes it into SF5 at some point.

I played Makoto in SF4 for a bit just because the Japanese voice was the original 3S actress.

Well, most of the time it isn't a big deal, but Dudley 3S to SSFIV was jarring because his original voice was iconic. He went from 'high class badass' to 'high class butler'.

Edzi

Agreed, it definitely has the same feel. Dudley's garbage SF4 voice is the main reason I didn't try to main him, though his Japanese voice was pretty good.

- J - D -

SF2: Sonic. Boom!
SSF2: Sonic Bewm!
SFEX: Sonikaboom! Summaso!
SFA3: Sawnic Buehm. Sommasaw!
CvS: Sunic Kapoouh! Sommosaur!
SF4: SONIC BOOM! FLASH KICK!
SFV: Sonic Boom! Somersault!

The change from somersault to flash kick is interesting. I wonder what the thought process behind that was, whether it was by the creative team's design or the localization.

It never felt right. Thankfully we're back to somersault, and all things are right in the (SF) world.

Well, most of the time it isn't a big deal, but Dudley 3S to SSFIV was jarring because his original voice was iconic. He went from 'high class badass' to 'high class butler'.

Back when III was still new, I wasn't sure if we were supposed to like Dudley. He had class, sure, but he was undoubtedly an aristocratic asshole who looked down on the masses. Gutter trash!

The change from somersault to flash kick is interesting. I wonder what the thought process behind that was, whether it was by the creative team's design or the localization.

It never felt right. Thankfully we're back to somersault, and all things are right in the (SF) world.

Somersault felt weird to me at first, because I knew it as Flash Kick in SF2, then Flash Kick was weird because I got used to Somersault, and now Somersault is kinda weird again because I got used to Flash Kick again.

- J - D -

"Somersault" actually describes the move he's doing though. Flash Kick is rather generic and non-descriptive, though it sounds kinda cool.

Top Bottom