• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Cannon Drill and Thrust Kick vs Spiral Arrow and Cannon Spike was always weird to me, too.

Then you had X-Men vs Street Fighter Cammy that said Cannon Drill and Cannon Spike, which might be the best combination just because of the uniformity.

Also, #TeamFlashKick, because it represents the speed of the move and its energy effect better, rather than just sounding like Guile's doing gymnastics, but it's not a strong preference.

Ryce

Speaking of move names, Nash's forward throw should be called German Suplex, not Dragon Suplex. A Dragon Suplex utilizes a full nelson, like Guile's. Also, Nash's Moonsault Slash doesn't make any sense -- a moonsault is a backflip, not a front flip.

Neoxon

Zhi did an analysis on the impact that SFV's DLC had on the player base.

This may actually be thread-worthy, if any of you want to go for it.

Long story short, here's what the data ended up showing.

• Additional characters did not result in player counts increasing in the long-run
  • The introduction of the Rage Quit system could have resulted in player counts declining
  • Around the introduction of Story Mode, the increased player count (immediate and long-term) could be attributed to one or more the following:
  • The content itself (Story Mode)
  • 33% Price cuts
  • EVO 2016
As for the author's personal thoughts, Zhi believes that:
  • Capcom needs to create meaningful content that will result in personalities arising from the community (thus influencing potential players)
  • Capcom should recognize and foster these personalities to grow the community (specifically the competitive scene)
  • The community needs to give Capcom another chance:
Zhi said:
Can the community forgive Capcom and get on board with the franchise? Is the SFV community the biggest detractor of its own growth? Even if all the bugs, issues, and missing features are eventually hammered out, can we go back to being lovers of the game again? Or in the end was it too late and had the FGC community imploding on itself?

It will always be flash kick to me and it makes me a little sad they changed it to sommasault in V.

At least SF4 made Flash Kick canon, right?

I think the manuals for the 16-bit versions of SF2 are what led to Flash Kick and Scissor Kick being accepted names for the moves. I still prefer them both to Somersault Kick and Knee Press, probably because I discovered the names when I was 7 or 8 and they're too deeply rooted in my mind for me to ever be swayed. I will say that Knee Press Nightmare sounds better than Scissor Kick Nightmare, though.

The sound effect during Urien's super startup animation is so damn cool. Also, his full theme sounds good, and fits him a lot better than either version of his 3S theme, or his 2I theme for that matter.

Mœbius

I cannot use charge characters to save my life but man watching this Capcom UK stream showcasing Urien is making me want to try...

Any tips for people who have a mental and physical block when it comes to charge characters / controls (I play on arcade stick)?

Mœbius;217532258 said:
I cannot use charge characters to save my life but man watching this Capcom UK stream showcasing Urien is making me want to try...

Any tips for people who have a mental and physical block when it comes to charge characters / controls (I play on arcade stick)?

I want to learn how to play charge characters so bad, Urien looks so awesome to play.

The main two things to remember are:

1. Immediately go back to a down-back charge after doing literally anything. A good way to practice this is Guile's j.HK -> c.MP xx Flash Kick combo as well as his s.HP -> c.MP xx Flash Kick. This will train you to start charging after a jump or from a neutral position.

2. You should press the punch or the kick for the charge move when you go back to the down-back charge, not when you press forward. So, for example, the command for a Sonic Boom would be db (charge), f, b+P. A good practice combo for this is to put the opponent in the corner with Guile and try doing c.MP xx Sonic Boom -> c.MP xx Flash Kick. This will help your charge timing to become tighter.

Since Guile is the primary charge character in Street Fighter, a lot of the stuff you learn about charges with him will translate to Urien, especially making stuff like his HP orb into Tackle easier.

Mœbius;217532258 said:

Practice. Practice. Practice. Just do the move over and over until it become muscle memory. Theres also some tricks you can do to help like rolling the stick forward or upwards instead of just a straight back-and-forth or up-and-down.

I'm in Maryland. You?
Our NE connection would be good, but I'm afraid I'd learn far more from fighting you than you would from fighting me. I've got almost no Guile matchup experience, but you've probably seen a ton of Karin and Alex play.
Mœbius;217532258 said:

Pick a charge character with some quarter circle specials and give them a whirl. Going into a pure charge character is tough. I learned by going from Parasoul to Cerebella in Skullgirls and finally to Alex in 3S. By the time SFV Alex came out I was pretty much ready for most charge related issues. You always want to go to the charge move the situation calls for after a special, a jump in (whether it'll be blocked or not) or a knockdown. Like, if I'm using SFV Alex I'll probably want to charge d/u for fireball chuckers like Ryu/Ken, but against Dhalsim or Birdie I might want to charge b/f to beat their normals with armored EX slash elbows. Which charge special you choose at any given time depends entirely on the amount of space between characters, how much meter you have available and which match up you are currently dealing with.

Our NE connection would be good, but I'm afraid I'd learn far more from fighting you than you would from fighting me. I've got almost no Guile matchup experience, but you've probably seen a ton of Karin and Alex play.

I can always use more experience fighting Karin. She can be a tricky matchup for Guile.

Durden77

At least SF4 made Flash Kick canon, right?

I think the manuals for the 16-bit versions of SF2 are what led to Flash Kick and Scissor Kick being accepted names for the moves. I still prefer them both to Somersault Kick and Knee Press, probably because I discovered the names when I was 7 or 8 and they're too deeply rooted in my mind for me to ever be swayed. I will say that Knee Press Nightmare sounds better than Scissor Kick Nightmare, though.

Did it? Well now they've made it un....canon? I guess?

Yeah I don't even know where it started for me, but it's just been ingrained into my memory as Flash Kick. Probably just from looking at tons of movelist involving Guile growing up in various games.

Also, me and you really need to run some sets. While I feel like I've got a solid grip on Guile, I definitely have a lot to learn and improve on. Would like to see what I could learn from you.

I can always use more experience fighting Karin. She can be a tricky matchup for Guile.

One of my worst match-ups I feel like. Tricky is the right word. Really just depends on how the Karin plays, but she controls a lot of my match ups with her. Her Ressenhha or whatever it's called freaks me out way more than it should.

Mœbius

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll give it another go... I have tried a few times in the past but I can never get the timings or think ahead enough (even when I know to immediately hold back down after anything) - I don't think I've ever even gone beyond trial 2 or 3 for any charge character. :S

Skilletor

It's HILARIOUS to me that Urien of all characters looks to be the most accurate 3s character. He was the character I thought they were most likely to fuck up.

Instead Urien >>> Alex >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ibuki in the conversion, imo.

Sai

Do you use a wireless or wired connection? I found this, but Ive never experienced this issue myself.
Wha? So I have to use my phone as a modem every time I wish to update? That sounds incredibly annoying. ._.

My connection is wired. Would it change anything if it was connected via wi-fi?

[EDIT] - I can't tether the device to my PS4, and my carrier charges me ten extra bucks to use the phone as a mobile hotspot. This sucks.

Did it? Well now they've made it un....canon? I guess?

Yeah I don't even know where it started for me, but it's just been ingrained into my memory as Flash Kick. Probably just from looking at tons of movelist involving Guile growing up in various games.

Also, me and you really need to run some sets. While I feel like I've got a solid grip on Guile, I definitely have a lot to learn and improve on. Would like to see what I could learn from you.

One of my worst match-ups I feel like. Tricky is the right word. Really just depends on how the Karin plays, but she controls a lot of my match ups with her. Her Ressenhha or whatever it's called freaks me out way more than it should.

I guess Guile just calls the move different things depending on what kind of mood he's in.

I'd also definitely be down to run some sets. The Guile mirror is a lot of fun in this game.

And as far as the Karin matchup goes, I haven't really found anything solid yet aside from staying standing as much as possible and stuffing Rassenha with c.HP, using far UDKs if she seems sweep-happy in the footsies game, and other than that, just showing that you're willing to not be over-reliant on Booms. I think once a Karin player knows that Guile is just going to try to sit back and throw Booms all day and wait for Flash Kicks, they know they've won. It's just way too easy for her to get in on a crouched Guile from one badly timed Boom and have him get hit with Rassenha while he's charging a Flash Kick.

Producer

Mœbius;217532258 said:

2 things to keep in mind: Know that its okay to give up a charge for something better (positioning, pressure, etc) . And masking your charge. You dont wanna be just holding down back; Charge while doing a blockstring, whiffing some buttons, neutral jump, etc.

MrCarter

It's HILARIOUS to me that Urien of all characters looks to be the most accurate 3s character. He was the character I thought they were most likely to fuck up.

They can't mess up the Vice President of the illuminati man. No way.

Ibuki isn't too bad but I hope they give her those rekka-type kicks back in SFV. Plz Capcom.

I am honestly surprised as well. I thought he was going to lose most of his tools and be a motion character. Really excited to get to play the official release of him. Hopefully I don't have any bad habits from playing him on the PC.

oh yeah

They just fucked up with Alex tremendously in the looks department. I just wish they'd all had parries of some sort. That would have been hype af.

Mizerman

I like to think that's why they saved him for last. So they wouldn't screw Urien up. I'm glad that he's essentially his 3rd Strike incarnation, just playing on a different field.

Skilletor

They can't mess up the Vice President of the illuminati man. No way.

Ibuki isn't too bad but I hope they give her those rekka-type kicks back in SFV. Plz Capcom.

I think Ibuki is okay in this game, but she doesn't play ANYTHING like she does in 3s.

I just find it funny that Urien was a character who worked the 3s system so well that it seemed very unlikely, to me, that he would work in another system. Not only did they get him over, but he looks like he did in 3s!

I love it! I don't even use Urien, but I'm super happy for his fans that this happened.

oh yeah

They just fucked up with Alex tremendously in the looks department. I just wish they'd all had parries of some sort. That would have been hype af.

yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the outfit DLC with his bomber jacket.

Wha? So I have to use my phone as a modem every time I wish to update? That sounds incredibly annoying. ._.

My connection is wired. Would it change anything if it was connected via wi-fi?

[EDIT] - I can't tether the device to my PS4, and my carrier charges me ten extra bucks to use the phone as a mobile hotspot. This sucks.

I looked around more and found this advice, this, and this.
Seems to be a router/internet problem. Best to try everything.

JayEH

Looks like we're in stage 1 of Urien where everyone thinks he's pretty good. Can't wait for Friday when he's worse than gief :p

Everything we know about Urien suggests he'll be very fun to play but will cause bigger "he's low tieeeeeer" meltdowns than any other DLC character, just because expectations were so high.

Top Bottom