• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Everyone but Alex have been underwhelming and people saying Guile, his biggest disadvantage is walking forward and being being in low health to use that one V-Trigger combo that people try to use as Guile is not shit arugment. Why do you think they gave Guile a duck walk?

The Boom loop has never been the argument for Guile being solid. He's just the most well-rounded of the DLC characters so far, with the best fireball game in SFV, solid normals, solid AAs (even if they're not as strong as they used to be), a strong V-Skill, a versatile V-Trigger, and a surprisingly scary corner game with or without the Boom loop. He's got some pretty good setups, too, with s.MP and his Upside Down Kick. The Boom loop is mostly just for styling and running down the clock.

Ryu's temple, though. :(

I can't believe we've had TWO SF games without Ryu getting his stage.
I don't see the appeal for that personally. It's just a temple.

I'd much rather have Sagat's SF2 stage.

sf2hf-sagat.gif

I would have said the bathhouse for E.Honda but that would just be a little TOO weird with the graphics being as good as they are.

Skilletor

I don't see the appeal for that personally. It's just a temple.

I'd much rather have Sagat's SF2 stage.

sf2hf-sagat.gif

I would have said the bathhouse for E.Honda but that would just be a little TOO weird with the graphics being as good as they are.

Because nostalgia, and seeing the seasons change in Alpha series was awesome.

I want more classic stages in general, though.

I want more classic stages in general, though.
I fully agree. I'd gladly spend all my FM on some good ol'fashioned stages.
I do, too, but I don't know how they'd redesign it so that it's not covering up feet. I guess just put them in the foreground?
That or they honestly could just leave it the way it was.

Capcom's response to the Kanzuki beach fiasco was that not all stages are built with competitive play in mind and a nostalgic throwback stage like that would earn top dollar.

Yeah that's why NuckleDu and Dieminion move on to other characters while Sean is the only Guile player that is ranked top 50 in Global Ranking.

Also Nash has the best fireballs in SFV it's not even close. Guile's fireball is overall worse than in SSF4 and V-Reversals makes him less threatening in the corner.

mbpm1

And I think Juri is amazing, love her new moveset, love her animations, love the way she plays now. Sorry that SF4 Juri players lost that version. I know that feel. I lost Ibuki, afterall.

Realistically everyone's gonna lose their character when they make it in.

I want Sagat but I know he's going to have no range, tiger shots will be inferior to Chun's fireball, and his tiger knee will be unsafe on block from any range and only EX DP will have invincibility

Realistically everyone's gonna lose their character when they make it in.

I want Sagat but I know he's going to have no range, tiger shots will be inferior to Chun's fireball, and his tiger knee will be unsafe on block and only EX DP will have invincibility
Can they mess up Honda?

Mizerman

I do, too, but I don't know how they'd redesign it so that it's not covering up feet. I guess just put them in the foreground?

Probably. Unless that'll be another stage not used for competitive play like Kanzaki Beach.

I don't mind as long as the stage is there with all of its lightning glory.

Skilletor

I fully agree. I'd gladly spend all my FM on some good ol'fashioned stages.
That or they honestly could just leave it the way it was.

Capcom's response to the Kanzuki beach fiasco was that not all stages are built with competitive play in mind and a nostalgic throwback stage like that would earn top dollar.

That's true, I guess. It would be awesome to see. And night stages in this game look awesome.

mbpm1

Goddamn it, I regret asking now.

But hey, they'll add a cool looking one off feature, like he throws salt for v-skill and it does 30 damage when they step in it and you can combo a single jab off of it if in range. And his v-reversal will be a callback to an old move they removed, like his buttslam.

But hey, they'll add a cool looking one off feature, like he throws salt for v-skill and it does 30 damage when they step in it and you can combo a single jab off of it if in range. And his v-reversal will be a callback to an old move they removed, like his buttslam.
Oooohhh, that sounds nice. Though that V-Skill is pretty much Birdie's banana.

Tbh even if he plays differently, I'll still love the guy.

I would be ok with any change that would be made to Dan.

Dan's V-Trigger should be exactly like Ryu's in that it allows him to charge his fireballs. Though a fully charged fireball still barely extends past his arm.

His V-Reversal should be a Nash/FANG/Rashid style mobility based thing where he visibly starts crying and running away.

JayEH

Yeah that's why NuckleDu and Dieminion move on to other characters while Sean is the only Guile player that is ranked top 50 in Global Ranking.

Also Nash has the best fireballs in SFV it's not even close. Guile's fireball is overall worse than in SSF4 and V-Reversals makes him less threatening in the corner.

Didn't dieminion say he didn't like guile because he was playing him too much like sf4 at first? They can't risk switching characters in the middle of the season. Let the characters develop man. You keep ignoring what others have to say here. Also ISDD is top 30.

Skilletor

You're basically not worth responding to on this topic.

Didn't dieminion say he didn't like guile because he was playing him too much like sf4 at first? They can't risk switching characters in the middle of the season. Let the characters develop man. You keep ignoring what others have to say here. Also ISDD is top 30.

NuckleDu used him in the online tourney for most of the matches I saw.

But, again, my issue with people citing tier lists is:

1. It doesn't matter to most of us. There are probably 10 posters in SF5-Gaf for whom tier lists are relevant.
2. There is a huge difference between character has flaws and character is trash. People keep saying the latter when it's actually the former.

Dan's V-Trigger should be exactly like Ryu's in that it allows him to charge his fireballs. Though a fully charged fireball still barely extends past his arm.

His V-Reversal should be a Nash/FANG/Rashid style mobility based thing where he visibly starts crying and running away.

His V-Reversal should be his Push-block from Omega Mode. Just give him a Zangief-style V-Reversal.

His V-Skill would be a taunt mechanic like Q's in 3S. Build up taunts to increase the size of his shitty fireball until it reaches Haou Gadoken size.

His V-Trigger would turn him into a "regular" shoto character for the duration of his V Meter. Serious Saikyo Mode or something.

Dan was an absolute beast in Omega Mode (unbalanced as it was). I'd love to see more Saikyo divekicks and Haou Gadokens in the future.

His V-Reversal should be his Push-block from Omega Mode. Just give him a Zangief-style V-Reversal.

His V-Skill would be a taunt mechanic like Q's in 3S. Build up taunts to increase the size of his shitty fireball until it reaches Haou Gadoken size.

His V-Trigger would turn him into a "regular" shoto character for the duration of his V Meter. Serious Saikyo Mode or something.

Dan was an absolute beast in Omega Mode (unbalanced as it was). I'd love to see more Saikyo divekicks and Haou Gadokens in the future.
But making Dan a solid character kinda defeats the purpose.

SFV Honda:

QCF motion for hands
Oichi Throw 6f start up
LP/MP/HP Headbutt all -7
Ex headbutt -2
Headbutts barely work as AA's
Has no normal AA's that function decently
Trash buttons
No buttslam

good V-trigger tho

If we're going by topped ranked players, looking at this tells us a few things: https://v-league.pro/tierslist

Guile is seeing the most play of the DLC characters in the top 100, with almost double the 2nd most played DLC character (Balrog) with 2257 matches vs. 1150.

Guile's win rate is the second highest of the DLC characters, behind Juri. But comparing Guile's 2257 matches in the top 100 to Juri's 165, Juri's winrate might not be a reliable statistic.

Alex, the character you keep saying is the best of the DLC characters, has the lowest winrate in the top 100, with a 3.8 average, and the lowest winrate of all characters. Even Gief is sitting kinda pretty by comparison with a 4.8.

Yes, this is the top 100 and not the top 50, but it's still interesting info on the topic.

I'm not trying to argue at all that Guile is a stronger character all around than Nash, but he certainly has a lot more to his fireball game. The only advantage Nash's fireball has in terms of hard numbers is the 5 frames less recovery on the HP version, but having 9 frames more startup is arguably a bigger drawback.

Getting into how his fireballs mixes with his moveset, yes, Nash can use fireballs to cover Moonsaults and to create fuzzy guard situations with his V-Trigger, but those are more strengths of his rushdown game than purely his fireball game.

Meanwhile, Guile has more variations of fireballs due to his Sonic Cross, all of his Sonic Booms have less total frames than Nash's, and one very important fact that people tend to overlook is that Guile's Sonic Booms are plus on block and VERY plus on hit. Sonic Cross has even more frame advantage. Guile, to my knowledge, is the only character in the game whose normal fireballs are plus on block.

Guile's booms being worse than in SSF4 is irrelevant because fireballs system-wide are worse than they were in the SF4 games. I'm not comparing SFV Guile's fireball game to SF4 characters.

Nash is still the better character all around, though, mostly because of his big, easy damage and V-Trigger gimmicks.

And again, my basic argument is simply that Guile is a solid, well-rounded character. His fireball game is a big part of that. He's not a top tier. Probably not even anything above the upper end of mid.

JayEH

1. It doesn't matter to most of us. There are probably 10 posters in SF5-Gaf for whom tier lists are relevant.
2. There is a huge difference between character has flaws and character is trash. People keep saying the latter when it's actually the former.

100% agree.

SFV Honda:

QCF motion for hands
Oichi Throw 6f start up
LP/MP/HP Headbutt all -7
Ex headbutt -2
Headbutts barely work as AA's
Has no normal AA's that function decently
Trash buttons
No buttslam

good V-trigger tho
All of this sounds realistic, I just hope he at least has one good Air to Air or AA.

Its because Guile has too many flaws. There is not one thing about Guile that stands out other than his ability to combo Cr.mk into overhead. Now if Guile was more like his Usf4 counterpart then it will be a different story. He should be able to combo Cr.jab xx Cr.mp.

Same f9r if you aren't going to back up your defense and give examples.

Top Bottom