• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Whales

Banned
So I played this Ken player named Platanos a month ago in Casuals who basically stole a win from me (he won fair and square and I can only blame myself but still...) and then took off after one match. Didn't even let me get the run back. Super salty, I tried to get him to join a lobby so I could get back at him and despite remaining online, he ignored me. What a punk move.

So last night, a month later, guess who I ran into and here are the matches and story for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JwMht2FpU&feature=youtu.be

seeing that nash playstyle in the first match i wouldnt have given you the runback either lol

XenoRaven

This is pure salt and probably one of those posts I'll regret later.

I get so frustrated at the amount and volume of Chun complaining when I watch a tournament and once again, I don't get to see a Chun player actually win. I just looked at the top 10 CPT qualifiers and none of them play Chun. I checked the results of every SFV major and a Chun player hasn't won one.

Every time someone who plays against Chun wins people blow up Twitch chat with "omg so smart" and when the Chun player wins it's "omg nerf that ***". Like a Chun player can never actually just be better than another player. It's always the character. We've even got commentators crying for nerfs. I'd just roll with it and not say anything if she were winning like every tournament. But the results don't say that. The Chun complaining just reeks of people trying to blame anything but themselves for losing in ranked. The complainers are going to get their way too, and she just won't even be viable. Looking forward to that.

I get so frustrated at the amount and volume of Chun complaining when I watch a tournament and once again, I don't get to see a Chun player actually win. I just looked at the top 10 CPT qualifiers and none of them play Chun. I checked the results of every SFV major and a Chun player hasn't won one.

Every time someone who plays against Chun wins people blow up Twitch chat with "omg so smart" and when the Chun player wins it's "omg nerf that ***". Like a Chun player can never actually just be better than another player. It's always the character. We've even got commentators crying for nerfs. I'd just roll with it and not say anything if she were winning like every tournament. But the results don't say that. The Chun complaining just reeks of people trying to blame anything but themselves for losing in ranked. The complainers are going to get their way too, and she just won't even be viable. Looking forward to that.
Chun just has a VERY frustrating playstyle, particularly in some matchups as she can just dominate the groundgame and a lot of times be safe while doing it.

The only thing about her I'd consider too strong is her light kick AA and that V-skill with it's incredibly weird cross-up properties. There are situations where it legitimately feels like a guessing game in regards to whether or not it'll crossup.

Everything else is frustrating but not overly strong.

EDIT: At least, IMO. Also never use twitch chat as a barometer for anything.

XenoRaven

I see complaining in here too. I lurk often. I've seen pros complain as well. Everyone posted that Chris G video like a V-Trigger cancel isn't something that every character has.

That V-Skill fake crossup is pretty dirty, and I can see changes to IAL since I think it's dumb and doesn't fit what is traditionally Chun's style, but I would want to see her get another tool to compensate.

Durden77

The funny thing is, I think of all the characters, Chun is the best representation of the player.

If you're a really good player playing a really good Chun, and I mean playing a REALLY good Chun with little to no mistakes, you're neigh unstoppable.

If you're a bad player playing a bad Chun it's going to show very easily.

And if you're a mid-level player playing a mid-level Chun, you're certainly as beatable as the rest of the cast.

That's why I really don't think Chun needs nerfs except for maybe 1 or 2 very small adjustments. In a way, she is OP, but the player themselves has to be OP consistently to tap into that. She has a really good balance to her. I honestly think Ryu is a much dumber character in terms of balancing and in being too powerful in certian areas. He's not necessarily a better character, but he gets away with more nonsense.

But of course Twitch chat will never understand that and she's purley OP if she wins and the opponent is always the underdog.

JayEH

That's true. Chun's go to BnB is the hardest one to do in the game IMO. She's not like Ryu where even a low skill player can just spam his BS.

I see complaining in here too. I lurk often. I've seen pros complain as well. Everyone posted that Chris G video like a V-Trigger cancel isn't something that every character has.

That V-Skill fake crossup is pretty dirty, and I can see changes to IAL since I think it's dumb and doesn't fit what is traditionally Chun's style, but I would want to see her get another tool to compensate.
Like I said, it's incredibly frustrating.

It's like... you KNOW what's going to happen, and it happens and you still weren't ready for it. You KNOW that Chun's gonna overhead after she activated V-Trigger, but you're still not ready for it. You KNOW that Chun can definitely use IA legs in this particular situation, but you're still not ready for it. You KNOW that Chun's gonna slide into her V-Trigger, but you're still not ready for it.

It's soooo weird. I can understand the salt but ultimately a large chunk of these situation's is not because Chun is too good, it's about the player picking their moments correctly.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So I played this Ken player named Platanos a month ago in Casuals who basically stole a win from me (he won fair and square and I can only blame myself but still...) and then took off after one match. Didn't even let me get the run back. Super salty, I tried to get him to join a lobby so I could get back at him and despite remaining online, he ignored me. What a punk move.

So last night, a month later, guess who I ran into and here are the matches and story for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JwMht2FpU&feature=youtu.be

If I had taunted and then eaten a super, barely edging out a win, I'd probably run from the rematch too!

Your improvement from one set to the next is very apparent. Your opponent didn't look like he had figured out anything new.

If you ever want to fight a Ken that doesn't throw full screen tatsus hit me up. I haven't fought a Nash in weeks, it feels like. CFN Hey_its_that_dog

Tripon

CCL has won two EU ranking events, MOV has won one ranking event, and players like GO1, Nuki have placed high in premier tournaments as well. Nuki lost today because he had multiple stick malfunctions.

The fact that nobody has won with Chun a Premier tournament yet is simple variance. Being the best character in the game and winning tournaments with her are two different things.

Mr. X

Whinning about Chun but ignore all the Nash, Necalli, Ken and Ryu tourneys.

All these characters have 2-3 CPT wins or more I think Chun has 2?

XenoRaven

CCL has won two EU ranking events, MOV has won one ranking event, and players like GO1, Nuki have placed high in premier tournaments as well. Nuki lost today because he had multiple stick malfunctions.

The fact that nobody has won with Chun a Premier tournament yet is simple variance. Being the best character in the game and winning tournaments with her are two different things.
This just seems like a convenient argument for someone who doesn't want to admit that she might not be the best in the game. Is her sub 50% win rate online due to variance? How long do we have to wait until we know for sure that it's not variance and that she's actually not as strong as people say?

I think she's strong. But "best character in the game" and "OP pls nerf" are overreactions in my opinion.

Hyun Sai

People bitch about Chun Li, Necalli, Ken, Ryu, Mika all the time. There is less whining about Nash since Infiltration disappeared.

This just seems like a convenient argument for someone who doesn't want to admit that she might not be the best in the game. Is her sub 50% win rate online due to variance? How long do we have to wait until we know for sure that it's not variance and that she's actually not as strong as people say?

I think she's strong. But "best character in the game" and "OP pls nerf" are overreactions in my opinion.

Everybody agreed that Yun was the absolute best character in AE, yet, he didn't win much despite Daigo maining him.

Whales

Banned
Make her IAL not + on block and her Vtrigger not last 3 years and there, chun is balanced and not as stupid as before.

And no she doesn't need a buff elsewhere if they make her IAL not as cheap anymore

Producer

I think alot of people dont see how much execution is required on some of Chuns combos and techniques. Its always a treat to watch someone like Go1, MOV and Nuki play her.

I think alot of people dont see how much execution is required on some of Chuns combos and techniques. Its always a treat to watch someone like Go1, MOV and Nuki play her.
I imagine that's something mostly Chun players will appreciate.

Unrelated, but I'd love to see Daigo win Capcom Cup. Just to see what kind of costume he himself wants to see on Ryu.

Chun Li is super frustrating to fight but outside of her lk anti air I wouldn't really change anything else about her.

That's really her biggest issue for me. Without that easy, fast anti-air she would be much more manageable for a lot of the cast (she has other AAs, after all...just not as godlike).

I honestly don't want them to nerf her to the ground or remove air-legs.

Tripon

The best character in the game is usually the one with the least or no bad matchups.

Guess who that is in SFV.

I only take issue with her stupid as fuck anti air. It's gotta go.

Not a fan of air legs either, but I wouldn't take it from her. But sometimes it feels like there's not a damn thing you can't do about as certain characters.

IAL isn't even that big of a problem. Every character can just punish it on reaction by sticking out a cMP or whatever. I think her Trigger lasts a long time but I don't really think I'd change anything else.

Mr. X

Now remember why I stopped opening this thread. It was the complaints about anti airs too strong instead of not jumping and getting better at fighting on the floor.

Hyun Sai

Now remember why I stopped opening this thread. It was the complaints about anti airs too strong instead of not jumping and getting better at fighting on the floor.

SFV is the first game where Jumping is stronger than ever and Anti Air is stronger than ever at the same time.

I'd normally agree with you, as I'm constantly telling people I know to stop jumping so much, but sometimes you get a good opening and you still can't do shit because these lp/lk AA's are so fucking good. Chun's is the worst offender in my opinion, especially because her ground game is strong. She's traditionally had shitty anti airs because her ground game is good. Not this time around though.

I don't mind one button anti airs, but the lights are a bit much to deal with. Medium and heavies are more than acceptable. When you can whiff a throw and still successfully AA, that's fucking horseshit.

Mr. X

I dunno man. I'm having a hell of a time stopping it with Urien at the moment. Maybe I just haven't found the right button.

I'd normally agree with you, as I'm constantly telling people I know to stop jumping so much, but sometimes you get a good opening and you still can't do shit because these lp/lk AA's are so fucking good. Chun's is the worst offender in my opinion, especially because her ground game is strong. She's traditionally had shitty anti airs because her ground game is good. Not this time around though.

I don't mind one button anti airs, but the lights are a bit much to deal with. Medium and heavies are more than acceptable. When you can whiff a throw and still successfully AA, that's fucking horseshit.
Jumps are high and floaty. Dash in and punish or sweep.

JayEH

Everyone always misunderstands the light anti air complaints. It's not that they're in the game it's that characters that don't need them have them. Nobody complains about Alex's jab AA but people will complain about Ryu and Necalli because they already have good tools for AA.

Tan

Apparently ex sonic boom and ex urien fireball trade their first hits and keep going

Also anyone know the frame adv uriens light tackle? If looks like either +1 or +2

Whales

Banned
I really dont get how people manage to play chars with bad AAs

I swear im getting jumped on so much as urien and crossed up but I cant do anything about it

I win the 1st match, then the opponent realizes he can just jump2win and thats that

Top Bottom