• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Durden77

So thinking of just un-gameplay related QoL stuff, here's things I'd like to see by next year.

-The abilty to search for matches regardless of what you're doing. The battle request search is pretty awesome, but the fact that it doesn't work while in the shop, in certian menus, and other things is really stupid and cuts down on it's usefulness.

- A more streamlined CFN. CFN is a pretty awesome idea, but it needs to be more pronounced and more fluid. Especially with replays. Having to add each replay individually and watch them that way is silly. And it doesn't even tell you the replays you've already watched in your list which can get confusing. I would love to see the abilty to create a replay playlist that will just run through replays and things like that. CFN when it comes to replays needs to be strong enough to compete with looking up videos on youtube.

- Probably just a more exciting menu/notifications in general. The menus in SFV are fine and work well enough, but nothing about them pops, and notifications may as well be non-existant. Make it a little more appealing and make it easier for people to understand what's going on with the game currently.

- The shop. The shop needs a major update. It needs to alow you to see models of colors and costumes before you by them. It needs to make buying things a lot more exiciting and easier to understand. I think if people could actually see a model of the color/costume they're looking for, they'd be a lot more inclined to buy them.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218079527]You're gonna get hit.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218079839]how to anti air people with hk scythe

gJ3XqG.gif
[/QUOTE]
I see the stun and think, good trade. Didnt know you could ex scythe after hk scythe.

When I say you're gonna get hit, I mean it. HK scythe isn't a move that aas or even trades very well. You just get hit.

I see the stun and think, good trade. Didnt know you could ex svythe after hk scythe.

Realistically, you can't. You have to only connect with the 2nd hit at close range which isn't really an opportunity that comes up. Maybe experiement against dive-happy vegas or something.

JayEH

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218078855]You guys should play against Vanilla Ice players in Jojo's if you want to see some fucked up AA jabs.[/QUOTE]

will i enter a dimension of darkness upon hit?

I made a mistake, I decided to take that Urien chap into everyone's favourite mode Survival, got to 29 on Normal and Necalli on a sliver of health decided to bust out a combo ensuring I just wasted those last 20-30 minutes of my life. This is exactly what happened with Alex when I last tried it, curse you allure of fight money!

On this note, considering that fighting tougher CPU foes tends to be more based upon "what things cheese their input reading prowess?" is there any known attack plans here for the next time I slog my way to the final five of Normal Survival? seems so hit and miss.

JayEH

I made a mistake, I decided to take that Urien chap into everyone's favourite mode Survival, got to 29 on Normal and Necalli on a sliver of health decided to bust out a combo ensuring I just wasted those last 20-30 minutes of my life. This is exactly what happened with Alex when I last tried it, curse you allure of fight money!

On this note, considering that fighting tougher CPU foes tends to be more based upon "what things cheese their input reading prowess?" is there any known attack plans here for the next time I slog my way to the final five of Normal Survival? seems so hit and miss.

For everyone except gief I just keep jumping at them and keeping up the pressure. Nash and Bison are easy to do this with since they don't have good anti airs/wake up options. Ryu usually isn't a problem but I find Necalli the toughest to do this with since he is DP happy and really can fuck you up with just one mistake. Gief is the scariest in the entire run for me. He loves to air spd so be careful with jumping you just need to keep him out and poke him occasionally.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Ai rarely use hard hks or hps without comboing into them first but i go all in for punish for stuns. Its pretty easy with rashid. At last few rounds you start turtling hard.

Tripon

I mean that's fine and all, but what are you basing "matchups" on? Actual results, a player's feelings, or a combination of the two? Is a 6-4 matchup really a 6-4 matchup if the average results in competitive play is 4-6 instead?

I'm glad that Capcom is waiting a year to balance the game as I don't see any really glaring problems, and I hope they take actual character performance into account, instead of just community feedback.
Matchups are basically based on the tools and buttons the two characters have and what advantages each character has in the matchup.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Chun Li worst matchup at the moment is herself at 5-5.

Everyone always misunderstands the light anti air complaints. It's not that they're in the game it's that characters that don't need them have them. Nobody complains about Alex's jab AA but people will complain about Ryu and Necalli because they already have good tools for AA.
I'll go one step further and say almost no one in the cast should have a jab that can beat crossups either. Not even Gief should need that when balancing comes and his lariat is hopefully buffed. Sim might be the only one who'd need it if he doesn't have it. They really messed up with Ryu, Necalli and Chun.

So thinking of just un-gameplay related QoL stuff, here's things I'd like to see by next year.

-The abilty to search for matches regardless of what you're doing. The battle request search is pretty awesome, but the fact that it doesn't work while in the shop, in certian menus, and other things is really stupid and cuts down on it's usefulness.

They just need to have it available during challenge mode, and it's all good.

Also having that huge load screen in between battles and training mode is Bullshit.

How easy or difficult are Birdie and Alex to learn? I like them both but not sure which to start with or if I'll click with them.
Personally SFV Alex is one of the toughest characters I've ever had to learn. In 3S he's got some anti airs, a stronger overhead game, more stun and health which helps. You can sort of bully your opponents if you know your moves and are willing to push your luck a little. In SFV he's got less health, needs far more reads and any combo worth a damn means you have to pop v-trigger. He has better pokes, but still can't special/super cancel his cr.mk/cr.mp without v-trigger and his power bombs have terrible reach on top of 6 frames of startup. Some of his most potent moves are specials that you can't even combo into (and that don't lead to combos either), so positioning and timing are more important than with most characters that can just bully their way in with tons of normals/specials that are positive on block. You'd think his V-trigger would save the day by lasting forever (Necalli and Chun), buffing his frame data (again these two), buffing his specials (Ryu) or giving him a bevy of new specials (Karin), but nope. On the other hand it does unlock parries which are huge. His V-Skill is also pretty much useless unless the opponent is dizzy.

Despite all of this he does have a whopping six cool specials (literally all of them are cool in my book). There are some great normals available, his stun output is somewhat higher than most of the cast, there is some armor with which to play with, there are some situational short/long range capable specials and he is the only other character in this game that possesses parries besides Ryu.

For everyone except gief I just keep jumping at them and keeping up the pressure. Nash and Bison are easy to do this with since they don't have good anti airs/wake up options. Ryu usually isn't a problem but I find Necalli the toughest to do this with since he is DP happy and really can fuck you up with just one mistake. Gief is the scariest in the entire run for me. He loves to air spd so be careful with jumping you just need to keep him out and poke him occasionally.

Ai rarely use hard hks or hps without comboing into them first but i go all in for punish for stuns. Its pretty easy with rashid. At last few rounds you start turtling hard.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
Fortunately I don't have too much trouble with Gief, I just stay the hell out of close range if I can help it.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm just gonna start kicking anyone using the beach stage. Just fuck off with it.

Holy shit the stages in this game are downright atrocious. That estate stage is so dark, I can't see shit with some costumes. Hilarious capcom.

Today I realised, after years of playing SF as Cammy, that I have so much to learn. Got back from EGX having got destroyed in 2 of my 3 games ( by a Sim and an Ibuki, FWIW). I noticed how much is wrong with the way I play. Predominantly, no matter what I do, I just eat jabs and footsies and I just can't deal with pressure unless I EX Cannon Spike or V-Reversal. Would love some advice if anyone has any.

Skilletor

I'm just gonna start kicking anyone using the beach stage. Just fuck off with it.

Holy shit the stages in this game are downright atrocious. That estate stage is so dark, I can't see shit with some costumes. Hilarious capcom.

You might want to calibrate your TV, lol. That stage isn't dark at all.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You might want to calibrate your TV, lol. That stage isn't dark at all.

Yeah... the only stage that really looks dark to me is waterfall at night. Estate has lots of bright colors and good contrast.

Hyun Sai

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218078369]It's not even a good anti air. It's basically just a combo move.[/QUOTE]

Ex Scythe is a great anti-air. The only way for it to trade is if you're lagging or doing too late.

I love the beach stage when I'm using Birdie. Banana peel and soda can too OP

Durden77

I feel like the stages in this game are the most impressive in any SF, barring some of the 30FPS NPC's. But even with that that NPC's choreography is great.

Like others have said you may want to adjust your TV. I haven't had any problem with any stage being too dark/bright. The beach stage can be kind of a troll though but it doesn't bother me. Glad they're doing stuff like it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218078369]It's not even a good anti air. It's basically just a combo move.[/QUOTE]

EX Sonic Sythe is arguably the best move used purely as an anti air in the game.

JayEH

just changed my favorite stage to Kanzuki Beach. don't have any problems with estate.

Whales

Banned

the only stage where you cant see well is forgotten waterfall at night if the dude is using a dark skin

Everyone's playing Urien online. Nobody's any good lol.

I'm having lots of connection issues tonight.

They don't know the mix up. I haven't lost to a single Urien in a mirror match with since Friday.

I don't know how many times I hit confirm Cr.mk xx V-TRIGGER.

Personally SFV Alex is one of the toughest characters I've ever had to learn. In 3S he's got some anti airs, a stronger overhead game, more stun and health which helps. You can sort of bully your opponents if you know your moves and are willing to push your luck a little. In SFV he's got less health, needs far more reads and any combo worth a damn means you have to pop v-trigger. He has better pokes, but still can't special/super cancel his cr.mk/cr.mp without v-trigger and his power bombs have terrible reach on top of 6 frames of startup. Some of his most potent moves are specials that you can't even combo into (and that don't lead to combos either), so positioning and timing are more important than with most characters that can just bully their way in with tons of normals/specials that are positive on block. You'd think his V-trigger would save the day by lasting forever (Necalli and Chun), buffing his frame data (again these two), buffing his specials (Ryu) or giving him a bevy of new specials (Karin), but nope. On the other hand it does unlock parries which are huge. His V-Skill is also pretty much useless unless the opponent is dizzy.

Despite all of this he does have a whopping six cool specials (literally all of them are cool in my book). There are some great normals available, his stun output is somewhat higher than most of the cast, there is some armor with which to play with, there are some situational short/long range capable specials and he is the only other character in this game that possesses parries besides Ryu.

It almost sounds like you think 3S Alex was better than SF5 Alex? I don't know about that...

I feel like SF5 Alex is way more viable. You never hear about Alex doing much of anything in 3S. Meanwhile, SF5 Alex has been showing up in top 16s and top 8s. Just today Problem X tied for 9th at a premier event with him. Daigo lost to StormKUBO's Alex just last week. An Alex was a pixel away from winning the first NA online tourney (got 2nd instead).

He's not top tier or anything, and he does struggle in some match-ups...but he's way more of a threat in SF5 than 3S.

Burglekutt

As a bronze/ultra bronze player who has played since launch, I feel like lately a lot of players have been way over skilled to be this far down in the rankings. Is this an influx of new players due to all the added content or do we have high level players making new accounts?

VariantX

As a bronze/ultra bronze player who has played since launch, I feel like lately a lot of players have been way over skilled to be this far down in the rankings. Is this an influx of new players due to all the added content or do we have high level players making new accounts?

Could be players who spend much more time in casual and fight lounges.

Top Bottom