• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

JayEH

That's 100 plus extra for me, let's go!

Oh look, another Cross Counter, another episode of Gootecks getting close to quitting SFV. And are we gonna talk about the new input delay being lowered after the latest patch? That's pretty neat.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...ow-according-display-lags-initial-draft-test/

That gootecks logic of how "8 frames" means that -6 moves are now +2 and how PC has no input lag at all.

But wow that's awesome. I didn't think they would actually lower it so soon. Really surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

That gootecks logic of how "8 frames" means that -6 moves are now +2 and how PC has no input lag at all.

But wow that's awesome. I didn't think they would actually lower it so soon. Really surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

To be fair, they have to do better testing, I guess. This was just a rough draft of sorts.

But you know most of the community doesn't wanna drop the most famous excuse as to why most of us are ass.

LakeEarth

New challenge up, use V-Trigger 10 times. 500FM.

Interesting note, the little info icon will pop up to tell you when there's a new challenge added.

Is there any sites out there that have compiled all the information and artwork from the CFN Portal site, and Takayuki Nakayama's twitter account?

I've said this before, but the amount of time they've spent fleshing out the world/mythos of Street Fighter, and the insane amount of new artwork they've produced along with it is absolutely incredible. Really one of the best (and most under appreciated) aspects of SFV's launch.

Edzi

Duuuuude you had CA but you went for an EX.

I'm not very good at keeping track of meter, lol. The Urien mirror feels super lame, and I'm losing my patience and eating jabs all day. :( Gotta step it up.

EDIT: Also my execution seems like ass tonight, I've missed like 4 supers. -_- Wake up jabs have me on tilt I guess.

SMK

I made a mistake, I decided to take that Urien chap into everyone's favourite mode Survival, got to 29 on Normal and Necalli on a sliver of health decided to bust out a combo ensuring I just wasted those last 20-30 minutes of my life. This is exactly what happened with Alex when I last tried it, curse you allure of fight money!

On this note, considering that fighting tougher CPU foes tends to be more based upon "what things cheese their input reading prowess?" is there any known attack plans here for the next time I slog my way to the final five of Normal Survival? seems so hit and miss.

I completed normal with using the lp fireball along with the usual shenanigans like using sweeps and jumping in on them constantly. The charged lp fireball can catch them when they just jump at you and a lot of times they simply don't block them.

I'm not very good at keeping track of meter, lol. The Urien mirror feels super lame, and I'm losing my patience and eating jabs all day. :( Gotta step it up.

EDIT: Also my execution seems like ass tonight, I've missed like 4 supers. -_- Wake up jabs have me on tilt I guess.

Are you noticing the jab combo that I keep going for?

I'm noticing you really like pressing jab, even on wakeup. lol, yeah, I know what you're going for, I'm just ass at dealing with it.

EDIT: wow, I just can't get the super to come out after the throw aegis OTG.

I didn't know that was a thing.

GGs Edzi. I'm telling you, his jab target combo is so good.

This character is great. His limbs are longer than Plastic Man's.

Edzi

GGs Crackpot, you clearly have a better grasp on Urien than I do at the moment. Frustrating how many rounds I lost purely because I screwed up my execution though.

I didn't know that was a thing.

GGs Edzi. I'm telling you, his jab target combo is so good.

This character is great. His limbs are longer than Plastic Man's.

Hah, yup. Once he gets you in range of his st. MK and b. HK, its hard to escape. I'm just bad with jabs overall though, so I definitely need to work on both incorporating them into my game and learning how to deal with them from the opponent.

GGs Crackpot, you clearly have a better grasp on Urien than I do at the moment. Frustrating how many rounds I lost purely because I screwed up my execution though.

Not bad for 3-4 hours, 'eh?

I wasn't trying to troll you with that HK, by the way. I just heard it's great for counter-hitting pokes.

Edzi

Not bad for 3-4 hours, 'eh?

Not bad at all, though I noticed you didn't really use anything specific to Urien outside of knowing how to best utilize his godly normals/jab combo. You'd be even more terrifying once you incorporated his juggle potential and Aegis setups.

Not bad at all, though I noticed you didn't really use anything specific to Urien outside of knowing how to best utilize his godly normals/jab combo. You'd be even more terrifying once you incorporated his juggle potential and Aegis setups.

I'm shit at actual cool stuff. I do Canadian combos.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Remember cool stuff comes later, boyos. Getting Urien's fundamentals and normals down should take priority, so be proud if you got a handle on 'em!
If you can win consistently without maximising combo/gauge potential, then you'll naturally have the upper hand later on.

It almost sounds like you think 3S Alex was better than SF5 Alex? I don't know about that...

I feel like SF5 Alex is way more viable. You never hear about Alex doing much of anything in 3S. Meanwhile, SF5 Alex has been showing up in top 16s and top 8s. Just today Problem X tied for 9th at a premier event with him. Daigo lost to StormKUBO's Alex just last week. An Alex was a pixel away from winning the first NA online tourney (got 2nd instead).

He's not top tier or anything, and he does struggle in some match-ups...but he's way more of a threat in SF5 than 3S.
He has far more combo branches in SFV than he does in 3S. That alone is enough to put him slightly over his 3S version for many people. I personally have more fun with his 3S version, but I can appreciate his stun gun special, armored elbow slash, charged sledgehammer and other SFV exclusive tools.

Have some Donpachi vs Tokido:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDSD4AYc0xg

I didn't think it was possible to catch someone like him with fully charged sledgehammers, but there it is.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any sites out there that have compiled all the information and artwork from the CFN Portal site, and Takayuki Nakayama's twitter account?

I've said this before, but the amount of time they've spent fleshing out the world/mythos of Street Fighter, and the insane amount of new artwork they've produced along with it is absolutely incredible. Really one of the best (and most under appreciated) aspects of SFV's launch.
It's under appreciated because they are basically hiding it on a Japanese-only site that barely anyone knows even exists. It's stupid.

It's under appreciated because they are basically hiding it on a Japanese-only site that barely anyone knows even exists. It's stupid.

There's an English one, but it takes a bit to get updated.
Yeah, the English site is nice. The fact that they're taking the time to translate it all is commendable because it's a ton of text.

The thing is, the site is really tedious to navigate, and as TheSpoiler said, it lags behind the Japanese site and sometimes takes fairly lengthy breaks, so if there's a more convenient way to browse through the information and artwork, that would be great.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
edit: Hm ok, "Character Reference" button on top brings you to the list.

That's pretty hidden, though.

Skilletor

As a bronze/ultra bronze player who has played since launch, I feel like lately a lot of players have been way over skilled to be this far down in the rankings. Is this an influx of new players due to all the added content or do we have high level players making new accounts?

I have lots of friends who barely ever do ranked, but they're as good or better than me (gold), sometimes they'll play a few matches in ranked, but they don't care for the most part. Some are starting to realize they need to get higher ranked to play with better players, both in battle lounges and casual matches.

Some time away from ranked did me a lot of good. Been thinking about my own barriers, approaching matches a bit more patiently. I never did casual matches before, so adding both to the rotation helps a lot mentally.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
So I am playing on my PS4 until my new hard drive arrives. Of course, I had to double dip on pretty much everything: Season Pass, Stages, Alternate Costumes and Colors.

Get a text from my wife mad early on my way to work. "What the hell?? $60 PSN charges!??"

Yes, yes indeed.

Neoxon

Yeah, I think I am gonna be a Urien main. I just feel like I click with his playstyle more than I did with Karin or Ryu (though that could be because I used him in SFIII when I was little).

LakeEarth

I have lots of friends who barely ever do ranked, but they're as good or better than me (gold), sometimes they'll play a few matches in ranked, but they don't care for the most part. Some are starting to realize they need to get higher ranked to play with better players, both in battle lounges and casual matches.

Some time away from ranked did me a lot of good. Been thinking about my own barriers, approaching matches a bit more patiently. I never did casual matches before, so adding both to the rotation helps a lot mentally.

Yeah, you gotta go to ranked sometimes. Ranked has a general upward trend, since some wins gain more points than the opponent loses (but never the opposite). Even if you haven't gotten better, a few months mean the people at your level are probably a rank or two above you.

Urien is awesome. Finally got to spend some time in Training with him yesterday.

I'm sad that his c.HP into regular headbutt doesn't work anymore. I'm really loving the things that are possible with his V-Skill, though. Definitely the best character of the DLC bunch.

Of course my first ranked match is someone from Colombia who can DP after a blocked Tatsu. And then face an American Guile who can be up Urien's armpit and not get grabbed .

giphy.gif

Of course my first ranked match is someone from Colombia who can DP after a blocked Tatsu. And then face an American Guile who can be up Urien's armpit and not get grabbed .

giphy.gif
Maybe he simply wasn't in throw range? The crouch walk is incredibly slow and I'm not sure how good Urien's throw range is.
Have Capcom released a timeline on the retro stuff like SF3 costumes and Bison's SF2 stage?
I don't believe that they have.

Sigmaah

Hit gold with urien on my other account Ayeeee I'm learning.

Aiming to get plat with him.

Aegis pressure, headbutt pressure, knee pressure fun af.

EVERYTHING PRESSURE.

LakeEarth

Hit gold with urien on my other account Ayeeee I'm learning.

Aiming to get plat with him.

Aegis pressure, headbutt pressure, knee pressure fun af.

EVERYTHING PRESSURE.

How do you use his headbutt for pressure? I feel like the hitbox is super small and always whiffs.

I am surprised how safe knee is, as long as it doesn't hit head first.

How do I get Japanese work ethic like Wong is talking about?
Never let shit GET to you. It's still okay to be frazzled but in every situation, try to identify what you did wrong or what you weren't doing correctly instead of complaining about how bullshit EX lightning legs or whatever thing you lost to is.

Baleoce

Urien looks fun as hell in this game. Now I just have to wrestle with an automatic Windows 10 anniversary update and the 5GB SFV update before I can play him. All on a 2MB down connection..

Sigmaah

How do you use his headbutt for pressure? I feel like the hitbox is super small and always whiffs.

I am surprised how safe knee is, as long as it doesn't hit head first.

Make sure when u do a block string that they're standing. I think headbutt is like -2 so they can't really punish from what I've played (I could be wrong af) Try to avoid doing it too much so your opponent doesn't know what ur trying to go for. I also use it to my advantage when it whiffs, once it whiffs, u can go for more presssure cause they'll think it's gonna hit them on block (avoid doing this against dp spammers tho and I think 3 framers beat ur button when u try to attack after blocked headbutt not too sure) or go for a grab which is what I do.

Top Bottom