• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Laws00

EIOdpOc.gif

It has to be on purpose. The cross-up-on-same-side stuff with Chun's V-Skill was one of the first things I played around with in the beta and I'm no lab monster. I feel like Bison can do something similar where the first block isn't a cross-up, but he still lands on the other side afterwards.

I've had so many instances where I'll block a jump in the front then the character slides over my head to the back when the initial jump in wasn't a cross up.

then instances where I block in the front and they cross me up while staying in the front.. like AA'ing Jump-ins in this game is already such a huge hazard and even blocking them sometimes isn't good enough lol.

MrCarter

Persistence is how things get done. You want concepts? I've got concepts. (Capcom, feel free to steal these wholesale.)

I've opened up a can of worms! lol. No seriously, these sound brilliant. You've got a real knack for clothing and design, is this something you do in the real world? I'll definitely be sending these to Capcom.

lupinko

I thought about buying Battlefield Hardline with the CPT bundle but I think I'll use that on the Halloween costumes instead.

Not surprising since it's beats Ryu CA(even with v-trigger), at certain distance it beats Guile CA, if timed right it can beat so many CA's in the game, one of the most OP moves in the game..

Edit: did some testing gonna continue them later... move beats Cammy CS clean right in her face, beats Birdie CA, Balrog too, but at certain distances, right in his face is a no no, so Balrog can chip you out at close range..

I've opened up a can of worms! lol. No seriously, these sound brilliant. You've got a real knack for clothing and design, is this something you do in the real world? I'll definitely be sending these to Capcom.
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I've worked in fashion merchandising before, and I've always been interested in design. I'd love to one day to be able to create concepts for video games, and other forms of artistic media, in an official capacity. [/dreams]

Anyway, I'm just hoping Capcom will actually start trying to put out a more balanced and inclusive slate of DLC content, and creating some swimsuits for the men would be a great way to help do so. (And after the positive attention other beefcake aspects of the game have garnered, I'm not sure why they're not doing more.) These ideas are just something I whipped up, but there's obviously many different ways they could go about it. (Just hopefully not along the lines of that Alex design Neoxon posted, which while sorta cute in a dopey way, is not exactly the most effective way to tackle the concept, particularly for that character.)

Not surprising since it's beats Ryu CA(even with v-trigger), at certain distance it beats Guile CA, if timed right it can beat so many CA's in the game, one of the most OP moves in the game..

Edit: did some testing gonna continue them later... move beats Cammy CS clean right in her face, beats Birdie CA, Balrog too, but at certain distances, right in his face is a no no, so Balrog can chip you out at close range..

It can beat quite a lot if timed right. And theres also this tech from a reddit poster.
I managed to do this on a Ken who did wake EX-DP and it won me the match.

stn

Man, I really like how this game plays despite all of the other issues. I like it so much so that I'd be down to see any character re-imagined. I hated how Viper played in SF4, for example, but would be interested in her with a revamped move set. Hell, even Hakan, if made a bit less goofy.

But I need Akuma to be brought back ASAP. And Dee-Jay (Count and I are probably the only people who want him back, lol).

Ryce

Did you guys know that Zangief’s battle costume is based on a character called King Stallion from some Capcom mobile game?

eyVRZbv.jpg

Durden77

Played Survival for the first time in forever today, now that I don't have to worry about colors and just FM.

Still stucks ass.

I still can't believe they don't let you keep your V-gauge through rounds. You go through the entire thing and you never use the biggest new addition to the game. How fucking dumb. That alone would make it a little more bearable.

LakeEarth

Sonic Fox and RB's Urien's are already so godlike, this character looks so fun to play, but too execution based for me.

Yeah, I just watched and Sonic Fox seems to like using that f.mp a lot for offense. It's -2 on block so I avoided it except for specific purposes, but damn if he doesn't make it look really good.

Played Survival for the first time in forever today, now that I don't have to worry about colors and just FM.

Still stucks ass.

I still can't believe they don't let you keep your V-gauge through rounds. You go through the entire thing and you never use the biggest new addition to the game. How fucking dumb. That alone would make it a little more bearable.

Yeah, letting your v-gauge carry over is the most obvious improvement to survival mode there is. I mean, you can spend your points on faster v-meter building, but why the fuck would you ever bother if it doesn't carry over if you don't use it?

But then again, half the Survival mode "upgrades" are pretty pointless. Why pick the option which reduces your stun damage when the "increased defense" option will also reduce the amount of stun you get?

This game's online match ups are as inconsistent as ever I see.
Still hovering around my bronze/super bronze purgatory I get mostly stompped by an ultra verging on Silver Necalli and then afterwards I'm put up against a rookie whose barely logged any time into the game.

Following this I decide to be crazy and play FANG, i'm then matched up against...another FANG!
Who does literally nothing but spam hard punch in laggy conditions, I mean it didn't work out for them but is this a known spammy tactic thing to grind levels or some nonsense?

Pompadour

Can someone explain frames and frame data to a dummy(me)?

Frames dictate the length of moves. As Street Fighter V runs at 60 frames per second, like almost all fighting games, a frame is 1/60 of a second.

Frame data is basically the nuts and bolts of any move. Each move has three parts: start up, active, and recovery.

Start up: the part of the move after you press a button but before the move can hurt your opponent. It's like pulling your fist back for a punch.

Active: the part of the move that hurts your opponent. This is your fist striking your opponent.

Recovery: the part of the move where you can no longer hurt your opponent but can't do anything else yet. This is pulling your fist back after the hit lands.

The complicated part is that each of these parts are assigned frames that dictate how fast the move is. Say your opponent wants to hit you with a move that doesn't become active until the 5th frame and you want to hit them first. You need to pick a move that starts on the 4th frame, or earlier, to beat them.

There's also blockstun and hitstun, which is how long your opponent can't move when you land an attack. Blockstun is them reeling from a hit they blocked where hitstun is them reeling from a hit they didn't block. These are both measured in frames and this is what makes blockstrings and combos work.

For example, if you hit your opponent with a move that does 10 frames of hitstun and your move recovers in 5 frames, if you do a move that becomes active in that 5 frame window after your first move recovers but before your opponent leaves hitstun then the move will combo. The same principle applies to blockstun.

Now this is a huge simplification of the system but hopefully it helps you understand the basics.

B3il

I still can't believe they don't let you keep your V-gauge through rounds. You go through the entire thing and you never use the biggest new addition to the game.
This is one of the main reasons I still want a proper Arcade mode, because the single-player options currently available aren't even remotely like the game as it should be played (AI notwithstanding.)

I've been playing mostly single player, on and off since it came out, and I feel like I've barely done any V-moves, at all.

Playing the new VS CPU option gave me a taste, and I'm hoping for more.

Still stucks ass.

You play Survival as Necalli and you keep your V-meter, after activation, would you enter every battle in V-Trigger mode and never be able to V-Reversal?

Dahbomb

Can someone explain frames and frame data to a dummy(me)?
Frames is a measure of time in fighting games (and in other games). SFV runs at 60 frames per second, so one second is 1/60th of a second.

Every move has 3 basic properties and then additional properties based on what happens if it gets blocked, it connects and it hits as a counter hit (plus other parameters).

Basic:

Start up: How fast the move comes out and then hits the opponent.

Active: How long the move lingers on to hit the opponent (how long it is "active)". In practical applications, think of a lightsaber having a ton of active frames because you can be hit during any portion of its attack.

Recovery: The recoil or refractory period after an attack hits. You can't do much during this part of a move.

A move that has low start up (comes out fast), is active for a long time (lingers) and has low recovery (less recoil) is a move that is very powerful provided the hitbox/hurt box are good too (a separate thing entirely). A good example is something like Zero's light saber attacks in Marvel 3 or Frank West's Chain saws.

If a move has 10 frame start up then you can beat it with a move that is 9 start up frames or less in start up provided that you both hit the button at the same time. If a move has 10 frames of recovery, then you can punish it with a 9 frame start up move or less. And so on.

Things get more complicated when block stun and hit stun are added to the equation. Block stun is how much frames the opponent is "stuck blocking" in after they block an attack. So you make someone block with a heavy attack like Bison's st.HK, you will notice that it locks the opponent in place for quite a while when the block.

This leads to something known as block advantage/disadvantage. This is generally a relation of recovery to block stun of a move. If a move recovers fast AND has a lot of block stun, then it means that you will recover before your opponent comes out of block stun. Again going back to Bison's st.HK, if you combine the recovery of the move and its block stun... you will recover 3 frames before the opponent does meaning it is +3 on block and that means if both Bison and the opponent presses a 5 frame move... Bison's will win out because his would've come out 3 frames earlier. This is what leads to frame traps in the game and counter hit set ups. Usually in frame data, we don't list block stun because what really matters is the block advantage/disadvantage (though in other games with more complex mechanics, knowing block stun frames is sometimes relevant).

Hit stun is similar to block stun and happens when you hit the opponent with the move. They reel back from the hit for a certain amount of frames, we call this hit stun. Let's take Bison's st.MP attack now. On hit it has 6 frames of advantage. That means that if I can follow up with a move that is less than that, then it will combo (provided I am in range). Again the concept of recovery vs hit stun applies here... Bison's st.MP hits them with enough hit stun and recovers just in time to have 6 frames of advantage. So just by looking at the frame data, I see that Bison's cr.LK has 4 frame start up which means I can easily follow up his st.MP with a cr.LK for a combo.

If you hit someone as a counter hit (hit them during the start up of a move) then you will usually have more hit stun on their move. In SFV, I believe there's a flat +2 hit advantage on all moves that don't have a special property. Going back to Bison's st.MP, it has start up of 7 frames and a hit advantage of 6 frames normally. That means that I cannot combo st.MP into st.MP because 7 frames is 1 frame too slow to combo after it. However, if I hit them on a counter hit with st.MP... that gives me 8 frames of advantage which means the second st.MP at 7 frames should now connect. This is where counter hit set ups and combos come in. It's a bit more advance but not a difficult concept to understand. Some moves have special properties on counter hit ie. crush counters and they have a certain amount of additional hit stun to them.

Frame data gets muddier when cancels are involved. Cancels can by pass recovery frames of a move, allowing for combos that may not be possible through regular linking (ie. waiting for a move to finish before starting up the next move). Bison's cr.MP only has 3 frames of hit advantage and if you tried to link into his LK Scissor Kick special it would be impossible to do so as the Scissor Kick has 15 frame start up. However, if you cancel the cr.MP into the Scissor Kick it will combo because recovery is taken out of the occasion mostly. Remember that hit advantage is a combination of hit stun and recovery.. not just hit stun.

Hope this helps.

Kashiwaba

This is one of the main reasons I still want a proper Arcade mode, because the single-player options currently available aren't even remotely like the game as it should be played (AI notwithstanding.)

I've been playing mostly single player, on and off since it came out, and I feel like I've barely done any V-moves, at all.

Playing the new VS CPU option gave me a taste, and I'm hoping for more.

This i actually used to make fun of people requesting and complaining about the absence of arcade mode but after doing all the doable trials and survivals i have nothing else to do between waiting for online matches playing level 8 dummy is nice but i found level 8 vs CPU is actually more challenging but it's stupid we can't activate online fight requests when I'm playing vs CPU and certainly i would love to have arcade mode it would give more reasons to play.

LakeEarth

You play Survival as Necalli and you keep your V-meter, after activation, would you enter every battle in V-Trigger mode and never be able to V-Reversal?

That'd be great, but I'd figure it would reset to 0 like it does between rounds in a real match.

V-Reversals are like the only thing v-meter is good for in Survival mode. If you are playing a 3-bar character and your meter is filled, you in some shit.

https://youtu.be/XCwBSwLXLxw

Interview with tokido at esl. Haven't watched much but something that stood out to me was that right now he thinks balrog and guile are the strongest dlc characters (hasn't played much Urien) and Juri the worst.

Yeah I watched this earlier, Born Free always does good interviews. I liked his story about Momochi coming back in a FT10 after being up 6-0 as a major part of his decision to change his style away from being so tech-heavy.

Still hovering around my bronze/super bronze purgatory I get mostly stompped by an ultra verging on Silver Necalli and then afterwards I'm put up against a rookie whose barely logged any time into the game.

Following this I decide to be crazy and play FANG, i'm then matched up against...another FANG!
Who does literally nothing but spam hard punch in laggy conditions, I mean it didn't work out for them but is this a known spammy tactic thing to grind levels or some nonsense?

the playerbase is gettng smaller. if there is noone else out there you'll be matched with the guy closest to you. i've seen diamond players getting golds.

Whales

Banned

I dunno, a super bronze getting matched to an ultra bronze is fine IMO

as a silver I wouldnt mind getting matched to super or even ultra silvers

if you move up to ultra bronze it starts getting balanced, matching you to super bronzes and silvers. It's fine like this

Kashiwaba

I dunno, a super bronze getting matched to an ultra bronze is fine IMO

as a silver I wouldnt mind getting matched to super or even ultra silvers

if you move up to ultra bronze it starts getting balanced, matching you to super bronzes and silvers. It's fine like this
I guess it's all about where you live for me i mostly getting matched with people around my rank one up or one down.

Top Bottom