• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Please show me where it said that the season pass contains any stages? The season pass gives you the 6 DLC characters, a premium costume for each one and Guile's Airforce stage (which was offered as an apology of sorts). Nothing more.

And Capcom explicitly said that the 6 DLC characters and their premium costumes are all that the season pass gives and we knew that before the game even released.
6P0xmeK.jpg

I should have read into it, my bad for expecting all of these skins/levels to be included. :/ I am spoiled by the Drive Club season pass.

Pachinko

Well, I come once again to this thread because I want some help dealing with sodium levels.

I was playing a few sets with a friend (in person) and we were having good fun , some of the better matches the 2 of us have had in SFV actually (because much more recently I've tried to get a bit better at the game but I still don't play enough) and well, 3 sets of best of 5 went by , onto the 4th set. I pick Cammy ( who I can barely use) and my friend picks R.Mika (he's not bad) , I won a game, he won a game and then in the third game I actually fluke out and manage a decent set up and throw out Cammy's CA , it hits but at the same time my friends Mika activated Vtrigger and some odd kind of interaction prevents the CA from hitting 100% (which would have done enough to kill), so instead of getting what should have been a sure fire win I lose all momentum , flabberghasted that the game could be so unfair and proceed to get mika'd into the corner and mixed up and then I lose.

In the back of my mind all rational thought evaporates and I just pick up my stick and toss it at the floor so hard that 4 buttons pop out and kick it for good measure. Thankfully, and against all that I should deserve after treating my stuff like a toddler would - the buttons all popped back into place and everything still works.

The thing is - I'm a goddamned adult - why did I get so angry about a stupid video game and what should I do short of giving up on the game entirely to prevent such outbursts ? I've always been this way and anytime I think I'm getting better with managing it , I just pop off again. Now, I mean - Mike Ross did the same thing on a live twitch stream (which perhaps not coincidentally was his last filmed episode of capcom pro talk) but I just ... hate myself so much AFTER blowing up like this.

I mean, this shit happens in a few things (I gave up on bloodborne at the second boss after losing 30 times, I broke a dual shock 4 getting stuck at a few frustrating parts of uncharted 3 a few months back) but nothing seems to set me off more than losing in a competitive game when I feel like I've done nothing wrong or that something should have worked. It's just frustrating , so I turn to the more experienced collective membership of SFV GAF to ask - what should I do ? What's worked in the past ? I don't want my friend (who is like 80% of my SF gametime in multiplayer) to worry about me just up and snapping anytime he wins because it's not fun for anyone , not to mention the property damage. So how do I stop that anger from surfacing so readily ?

Edzi

Either Chun's cr. MP needs to get nerfed to hell, or her v-trigger needs to be like 5 bars. You can't even move around her lest you get cr. MP into v-trigger into shenanigans.

Also surprised at how safe her fireball is, normally I can punish on reaction with Alex or Necalli's armored moves.

Well, I come once again to this thread because I want some help dealing with sodium levels.

I was playing a few sets with a friend (in person) and we were having good fun , some of the better matches the 2 of us have had in SFV actually (because much more recently I've tried to get a bit better at the game but I still don't play enough) and well, 3 sets of best of 5 went by , onto the 4th set. I pick Cammy ( who I can barely use) and my friend picks R.Mika (he's not bad) , I won a game, he won a game and then in the third game I actually fluke out and manage a decent set up and throw out Cammy's CA , it hits but at the same time my friends Mika activated Vtrigger and some odd kind of interaction prevents the CA from hitting 100% (which would have done enough to kill), so instead of getting what should have been a sure fire win I lose all momentum , flabberghasted that the game could be so unfair and proceed to get mika'd into the corner and mixed up and then I lose.

In the back of my mind all rational thought evaporates and I just pick up my stick and toss it at the floor so hard that 4 buttons pop out and kick it for good measure. Thankfully, and against all that I should deserve after treating my stuff like a toddler would - the buttons all popped back into place and everything still works.

The thing is - I'm a goddamned adult - why did I get so angry about a stupid video game and what should I do short of giving up on the game entirely to prevent such outbursts ? I've always been this way and anytime I think I'm getting better with managing it , I just pop off again. Now, I mean - Mike Ross did the same thing on a live twitch stream (which perhaps not coincidentally was his last filmed episode of capcom pro talk) but I just ... hate myself so much AFTER blowing up like this.

I mean, this shit happens in a few things (I gave up on bloodborne at the second boss after losing 30 times, I broke a dual shock 4 getting stuck at a few frustrating parts of uncharted 3 a few months back) but nothing seems to set me off more than losing in a competitive game when I feel like I've done nothing wrong or that something should have worked. It's just frustrating , so I turn to the more experienced collective membership of SFV GAF to ask - what should I do ? What's worked in the past ? I don't want my friend (who is like 80% of my SF gametime in multiplayer) to worry about me just up and snapping anytime he wins because it's not fun for anyone , not to mention the property damage. So how do I stop that anger from surfacing so readily ?
Take a DEEP breath whenever you start to get frustrated. Take a little while, go back to character select and just stay there for like 10 seconds even if you know you fucked up.

The problem with playing fighting games offline is that you have nothing to blame. If you lost, that's because you got outplayed, pure and simple. If you think this is bad, try playing KoF where the other player can have taken 2 of your 3 characters and still have half health on their first character. It's a long and steady outplaying, at least Street Fighter requires more adaptation.

Remind yourself that this is JUST A GAME. Winning does not matter. Getting better matters. If you lost a game hard but managed to learn something from it, it was worth it.

Now I know that there is stuff in this game that just feels like legitimate bullshit. Ryu's j.lk, Chun-Li's v-skill crossup when you're in the corner, Necalli's st.lp, Vega not having a true reversal,Mika being Mika. But it is what it is and if it gives you solace, you're not the first or the last person to be pissed off at Mika being Mika.

Producer

GGs, your Chun was very Chun-like, which is to say frustratingly amazing. Glad I was able to steal as many games as I did.

GGs man. Some unsolicited advice: dont do ex headbutt after Chuns BnB or a sweep. She gets a free meaty with cLP that recovers quickly enough so ex headbutt wont hit. Thats why everytime i swept or ended with sbk i dashed up cLP. Urien just has to hold that haha

It's funny that aside from all the shit Capcom's been getting about the release and support of this game, it probably has one of the better, more bang for your buck, season pass. At least imo.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Long post
This is the fighting game life man. You win, you lose, you lose again. You just need to turn that anger into something you can channel to make you better. Last week I was just a shitty pad player who tried to fumble using an actual arcade stick (the manager modified an USF4 cabinet) I playing casuals and got my shit owned 0and 2. I wasted like a dollar and more before I left. Next week I find that some guy is using an PS4 gamepad. I ask where he got it from and he said it was the manager's. He let me use and and guess what? I lose to an R. Mika. I get dizzied off the irish whip with 2 combos and a reset. I didn't lose because I sucked, I just wasn't good enough(I also realized that I didn't set my buttons properly but that's not important.) On Wednesday, I see the same guy and he lent me the gamepad again. I take it and set the buttons right and things get heated. Since it's fairly crowded I wait my turn and the same mika player is getting salty at a dhalsim. The dhalsim has his 5 seconds of fame before he fights a Vega(the man no one won any tournament with) and loses. So I go up against the vega. My memory is hazy for the next part but bear with me. I set my buttons, pick my old main laura and we fight. We go 1-1. He lost when he decides to try and wall jump me and slash me. And yet he whiffs and I beat him with a jumping hard kick. I went wild and kinda cheered for myself but I lose to mint chocolate R. mika again soon after.

TLDR You didn't win because you were better, you won because you had more heart than the other guy and didn't give in to the salt.
I took my L and left like a champ. I then fought the manager the next day after a long while of wondering if I should play and I beat his R.Mika with my laura for 1 round before I lose two rounds consecutively, since he's good with everyone. He also doesn't play online because he likes being personal and to school the newcomers.

If you lose, don't keep playing to win to try to regain your honor, you will play worse. It's a game and not worth breaking sticks or ruining friendships over it, like some people do at evo. You don't how much I wanted to try throw my controller at the TV because I didn't the people at my arcade see how salty I was. Some of them I play online regularly like M.Bison main friend and I think my Guile main friend. You just need to get better and prove them wrong. Then you'll see what its like to be victor and looking at the salt in the light of their eyes.
But enough about me, I'm just a scrub who plays pad.

Edzi

GGs man. Some unsolicited advice: dont do ex headbutt after Chuns BnB or a sweep. She gets a free meaty with cLP that recovers quickly enough so ex headbutt wont hit. Thats why everytime i swept or ended with sbk i dashed up cLP. Urien just has to hold that haha

Yeah, I actually realized that after the match. I vaguely remember reading about it a while ago, but I've yet to run into someone who actually knew how to utilize it in a match.

Weirdly enough, I think I did best with Alex, though that's probably because I've played with him the most over the last few months.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Yeah, I actually realized that after the match. I vaguely remember reading about it a while ago, but I've yet to run into someone who actually knew how to utilize it in a match.

Weirdly enough, I think I did best with Alex, though that's probably because I've played with him the most over the last few months.
Hey edzi you still online? I want to get a few matches in before midnight. None of the people I know are online and it would just be me and my new and improved Nash skills.

Edzi

Hey edzi you still online? I want to get a few matches in before midnight. None of the people I know are online and it would just be me and my new and improved Nash skills.

Eh, I was done for the night, but it's Friday so I guess I can go for a couple more rounds. Invite me in a minute.

Producer

Yeah, ex headbutt is 12f startup and chuns cLP is 11 frames total so timed right it should work everytime. Your Alex is so solid, you got me with the headbutt every damn time. You know when to play it cool and when to go ham lol.

Edzi

Yeah, ex headbutt is 12f startup and chuns cLP is 11 frames total so timed right it should work everytime. Your Alex is so solid, you got me with the headbutt every damn time. You know when to play it cool and when to go ham lol.

Still, my execution needs a lot of work. I dropped at least a couple round ending combos with Alex and let you get the comebacks.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
FyGDOiD.jpg

Disclaimer: this is my pic but I got hacked for different reasons because I dont play sfv on pc.
GGs. You really need to stop constantly mashing out your most unsafe moves.

It's nowhere near as bad as that garbage Blanka costume from SF4.
But Laura's wheel kick is so fun, it builds so much meter tho. I was actually suppose to save meter for super but the first time I landed one EX somersault... yeah. One of these days I'm gonna look up frame data for my characters and see whats safe on hit and what it isn't. Oh yeah gg.

mbpm1

It's nice to fight someone who's really focused on defense and teching but doesn't do much if any offense. Gives me a chance to practice opening up and shimmies.

lupinko

Please show me where it said that the season pass contains any stages? The season pass gives you the 6 DLC characters, a premium costume for each one and Guile's Airforce stage (which was offered as an apology of sorts). Nothing more.

And Capcom explicitly said that the 6 DLC characters and their premium costumes are all that the season pass gives and we knew that before the game even released.
6P0xmeK.jpg

Capcom even gave even more free extras in default colors 3-10 for the six dlc characters.

Because the game itself costs 60 dollars. I mean, it can't possibly be that difficult to gauge that 30$, half the retail price of the product, is not a good price for 6 characters. I wouldn't say it's necessarily a bad one given the pricing model this game has decided to go for, but it's not a good one either.

damn man can you keep it in your pants for one day. Never seen so much lusting for virtual video game characters since the pre-nerf ShinMaruku's deviant dayz

The complaints regarding the season pass don't make sense to me.

Any season pass that clearly outlines what they will be offering within the pass, and then delivers on that content, is a good season pass. Regardless of the value for money the most important feature is that the value is simply and accurately represented to consumers so that they can make an informed decision regarding whether the price point represents good value for money to them.

This clear conveyance of what's on offer, allows the market to determine it's value.

I feel like Street Fighter V provided this. Although you could argue that other season passes offered better value for money, Capcom delivered what they promised and it was easy to be aware of what was on offer in the pass.

Pachinko

Thanks for the couple of comments doods , I really need to focus on throwing that salt under the bridge instead of throwing the stick because of the salt I suppose.

Relevant link

I suppose I need to hunker down and practice playing some more , spend some more time with Laura and Cammy I think.

Pompadour

The complaints regarding the season pass don't make sense to me.

Any season pass that clearly outlines what they will be offering within the pass, and then delivers on that content, is a good season pass. Regardless of the value for money the most important feature is that the value is simply and accurately represented to consumers so that they can make an informed decision regarding whether the price point represents good value for money to them.

This clear conveyance of what's on offer, allows the market to determine it's value.

I feel like Street Fighter V provided this. Although you could argue that other season passes offered better value for money, Capcom delivered what they promised and it was easy to be aware of what was on offer in the pass.

That whole Season Pass thread essentially boiled down to "these ten games that offered an insane amount of content for almost nothing are the only good season passes." Street Fighter V clearly outlined what was contained in the season pass and the content included was reduced by roughly 50%. People arguing that it's a shitty season pass because alternate costumes shouldn't be $4 don't realize or care that they're arguing a completely different point.

It's funny that aside from all the shit Capcom's been getting about the release and support of this game, it probably has one of the better, more bang for your buck, season pass. At least imo.

The AE and USFIV DLCs were much better value. So were the SFIV series costumes.

SFV feels like a massive rip off to be honest.

NOPE, SF4 was the best bang for your buck fighting game ever, but SFV most of the shit is very expensive when compared to their SF4 pricing model..Just the Ultra DLC upgrade was $15 for 4 characters, i remember the shoto dlc costume pack costing $3.99 for 4 costume, now it's $3.99 for 1....

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
The AE and USFIV DLCs were much better value. So were the SFIV series costumes.

SFV feels like a massive rip off to be honest.
I feel like its the natural progression of fighting games. The more graphics advance the more work you have to put in. That's why Kof' 14 feels like such a downgrade versus the expensive sprites 13 had, it was cheaper.

Neoxon

While I did appreciate the value of the AE & USFIV upgrades from a character standpoint, my biggest gripe with them was that they locked the new gameplay updates behind said DLC upgrades. If any good came out of Capcom moving away from new editions, the lack of balance updates being locked behind paid DLC updates would be it.

Top Bottom