• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man am loving this new input lag reduction , I have changed my playstyle so much and its much more solid. Just reduce it a little more Capcom and the game will be perfect.

I never actually understood why this is a thing , perhaps it works well on certain types of players.

Like the whole idea of shimmy is that you walk , which makes the other player want to throw because you are walking. If you just sit there , why would they even want to throw? I would just Jab in that situation. Now ofc that could get counter hit if timed correctly , but then ur just frame trapping me with a delayed hit not really whiff punishing.
It's a reflex to tech after a blocked lk or lp, because you expect a tick throw. I think you have to be a lot better to atleast react to to the standing or even walking animation.

Things I still need to do
- Finish Urien's Trials (5-10)
- Urien Extreme Survival

I...don't think I'm going to be doing either of them. Urien's a charge character, so he's that much harder for me to do. And Extreme Survival...yeah...I'll wait for the Challenge so I don't have to mutilate myself.

if ur on pc, lock the framerate to 30fps using your gpu control panel or rtss.

makes trial combos a fuckin breeze

Kashiwaba

Man am loving this new input lag reduction , I have changed my playstyle so much and its much more solid. Just reduce it a little more Capcom and the game will be perfect.

I don't know if this is the reason but after the last update i noticed that I'm able to execute combos easier than before and my player becoming more solid.

Shadoken

oh it is reduced even more

on PC Kappa

Lol ...

Because it could easily be a tick throw set-up at that distance instead of them just sitting there.

Hmm yea but it seems kinda tricky with the spacing , you would have to be pretty close to bait a tech for a tick throw and yet still far enough to not get thrown ur self. I think it is pretty effective in the corner. Because walking back kinda neuters this a bit because of the spacing.

I hate doing throw baits on characters with big throw ranges , so hard to bait and half the time i end up getting thrown lmao.

I don't know if this is the reason but after the last update i noticed that I'm able to execute combos easier than before and my player becoming more solid.
Yea before I would just pre emptively counter poke , I mean it would work but the game just felt kinda dumb and i felt less in control. Now I can actually walk back and forth and try to press the damn button.

I think even in the pro scene there is definitely some impact from the lag reduction , people have been forced to change playstyles.

Maybe 8frame lag was just gravity training by Capcom for players to git gud kappa.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm yea but it seems kinda tricky with the spacing , you would have to be pretty close to bait a tech for a tick throw and yet still far enough to not get thrown ur self. I think it is pretty effective in the corner. Because walking back kinda neuters this a bit because of the spacing.
That's the thing. You're always out of throw range if your opponent blocks the cr.lp. Who has the best throw range? Bison? I'll try it right now.
But for most of the cast it definitely works.

mbpm1

The reason it works is bc pushback always ensures you are out of throw range.

Many characters have a button like this.

DD-11

Isn't it just a one frame reduction? I find it difficult to believe that you are markedly better with 1/60th more time than before.

KingBroly

Banned
if ur on pc, lock the framerate to 30fps using your gpu control panel or rtss.

makes trial combos a fuckin breeze

Yeah, I know, but he's still a charge character. I've done it before and it's pretty hard with charge characters.

Combos kinda seem harder to pull off now, honestly

Here's pics of all the alternate versions of the Halloween costumes alongside the standard versions...

See all the colors here.
Now that I look more closely that Alex alt variant would look just fantastic if it removed his weird little wings. He'd look more like a dude dressed in warrior garb and paint meant to scare the living shit out of his opponents. They came so close to nailing it.

damn
Jesus the shop needs such an overhaul so bad. For a game that's based so much around it, it's so bad. Doesn't show what's featured, can't preview or even get a good look at items (some like the colors you can't even see at all), like shit man how did this happen.

If they hope for this game to succeed through this stuff they gotta fix that shit by like early next year at the earliest.

Edit : YO THE MUSIC ON THIS HALLOWEEN STAGE
I was honestly confused about this from the start. Capcom had characters coming on a monthly schedule, but the store did no ingame advertising of this whatsoever on the home page. You wouldn't know anything if you only played the game and never looked at PSN/Steam. Lord knows far fewer people know about SRK, Eventhubs or whatever blog Capcom uses for advertisement.
That feel when you decide "maybe I'll buy a couple of costumes with real money" and realize they're 5.49$ canadian each.

You know there's just certain things I can't defend about this game. I really wish it had sold better so these microtransactions would have been just a bit cheaper.

Here's hoping they'll offer deluxe packs later on or even an upgrade deal next year , right doods ?
The lack of bundles really hurts when you look at these prices.
oof

This is ridiculously good.

JayEH

If they reduce it further I imagine they'll have to adjust a lot of frame data so defensive characters aren't too strong. That's why they're waiting until the CPT is done if they're going to reduce to 5 or whatever. 6.5 seems like it was the intended to start with but there was a bug that only legacy controllers had the lower input lag.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure they only decresed it for PS4 controllers on PS4. If you're playing on PC or were using a legacy controller, nothing has changed.

But sadly nobody is really testing it. DisplayLag did a very simple test after 1.09 came out and that's sadly all we have.

just turn off v-sync on PC and enable fast sync for SF4 level input lag. There's clearly a difference when I'm playing on PC and when I hop on PS4.

Shadoken

Isn't it just a one frame reduction? I find it difficult to believe that you are markedly better with 1/60th more time than before.

Its the difference between shit not working 50% of time to shit not working 35% of the time. It makes a huge differece in neutral , when you show that you CAN react to something. Another frame down and it should be perfect.

I can react to Nash dashes now.

Okay maybe not.

You most definitely can. Also Nash dash is made so that it works once the opponent has conditioned you to block and not press buttons. Go watch any top player play against some random Nash and you wont see him getting away with random Dash in grabs.

just turn off v-sync on PC and enable fast sync for SF4 level input lag. There's clearly a difference when I'm playing on PC and when I hop on PS4.

The PC without v Sync is 5f right? PS4 is at 6.5 now. If they can take off another 1F thats good enough.

DD-11

Its the difference between shit not working 50% of time to shit not working 35% of the time. It makes a huge differece in neutral , when you show that you CAN react to something. Another frame down and it should be perfect.

Your math is a little off. Even at the highest level a1.5 frame difference isn't going to make a huge difference. YourTV and internet connection are way bigger concerns.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to know where these numbers come from. The only test I saw did have PC with V-Sync off at 5 frames but online was much higher

Your math is a little off. Even at the highest level a1.5 frame difference isn't going to make a huge difference. YourTV and internet connection are way bigger concerns.
Your internet connection doesn't add input lag.

DD-11

I would love to know where these numbers come from. The only test I saw did have PC with V-Sync off at 5 frames but online was much higher

Of course not, but it adds lag, which is pretty much the same thing.

I remember hearing turning off Vsync doesn't help, at least when playing online . But all i know is I'm able to play Cammy a lot better now.

Shadoken

If you are playing Online I dont think this reduction makes a big diff , since online has so many other factors and isnt really consistent.

If you playstyle is based mainly off reactive play and whiff punishing it makes a difference. In fact if you watch SEAM and compare it with other majors , you will notice some differences.

TV lag is standard across Fighting games , And I only play offline with the local scene on standard low input lag monitors.

I still think 6.5 is bad , but its a bit more reasonable now. Its like playing PS3 SFIV IIRC?

It doesn't add lag , but it makes things very hard to react to because of the rollback. You cant fully see startup of some animations. It definitely doesn't encourage reactive play.

It seems it could cause inpu to drop.

And then theres this. I stopped playing online , it doesnt really seem to help me improve after a certain point. And my current internet doesnt really get a lot of smooth matches :(

Pretty sure they only decresed it for PS4 controllers on PS4. If you're playing on PC or were using a legacy controller, nothing has changed..

Legacy controllers are banned from tourneys so I never played in that mode . And yea PS4 controllers on PS4 were made to match Legacy controllers.

DD-11

Justin Wong was doing just fine playing footsies. I have watched most tournies and I think you're looking for differences and convincing yourself that youre seeing them.

I just don't believe that and extra 1/60th of a second is going to give youthat much more information in order to make a decision.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Justin Wong was doing just fine playing footsies. I have watched most tournies and I think you're looking for differences and convincing yourself that youre seeing them.

I just don't believe that and extra 1/60th of a second is going to give youthat much more information in order to make a decision.
It's usually not really about that. Many things in fighting games are balanced around being just barely able to react to it. That's why overheads in this game have pretty much exactly 2 frames more start-up with the game having 2 frames more input lag compared to 4.
If you see someone dash and you press a button those one or two frames make the difference between your opponent getting a counter-hit on you or you getting one on your opponent.
It's not as little as you think if you're imagening close scenarios.

DD-11

It's usually not really about that. Many things in fighting games are balanced around being just barely able to react to it. That's why overheads in this game have pretty much exactly 2 frames more start-up with the game having 2 frames more input lag compared to 4.
If you see someone dash and you press a button those one or two frames make the difference between your opponent getting a counter-hit on you or you getting one on your opponent.
It's not as little as you think if you're imagening close scenarios.

Of course things would turn out differently, but the issue is over blown, and I'm tired of hearing about many players complaining that they suck because of an extra frame of input delay. It's just not true. After all, your opponent is going to enjoy the same benefit.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Of course things would turn out differently, but the issue is over blown, and I'm tired of hearing about many players complaining that they suck because of an extra frame of input delay. It's just not true. After all, your opponent is going to enjoy the same benefit.
I totally agree with that sentiment, but it sounded like you were saying the gameplay wouldn't change, but it does.

DD-11

I totally agree with that sentiment, but it sounded like you were saying the gameplay wouldn't change, but it does.

Ok, yes, we agree then. This isn't going to suddenly make pros of the entire gaf population, but it will change the occasional out come on the micro level during a match.

JayEH

Snake Eyez and gootecks on blast.

My biggest issue with the frame delay, how do you go backwards? Street Fighter 4 Xbox 360 delay is 5.1.... how the fuck are you at 8 frames delay? 7 years removed from SF4, you should be matching the 360 version, if not beating it...

mbpm1

Juri's Halloween costume seems like it could be cool with the right colours.

Haven't found the right colours yet though

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest issue with the frame delay, how do you go backwards? Street Fighter 4 Xbox 360 delay is 5.1.... how the fuck are you at 8 frames delay? 7 years removed from SF4, you should be matching the 360 version, if not beating it...
SF4 didn't have this type of input buffer or this type of netcode (that needs a certain amount of frame delay). Something just went wrong with all of that.

Spman2099

That moment where you beat the guy with the 219 game "win streak" and they quit...

Capcom, how is that still a thing? I thought these people were supposed to get bans. This guy MUST have quit close to a hundred times on his way to that win streak. I know because I beat him with my sloppy, sloppy Alex...

Duress

Why doesn't any one want to play me? I'm sitting here dicking around with practicing moves, and giving away free fight money. They keep bailing on me, after the first set.

mbpm1

Nevermind, the 2nd colour has Juri all in white and a red and blue eye (!)

Halloween costume saved

Why doesn't any one want to play me? I'm sitting here dicking around with practicing moves, and giving away free fight money. They keep bailing on me, after the first set.

Maybe your connection is choppy

Shadoken

You are kidding if you think 1-2 frames dont make a big difference. The difference between Ryu and Kens Fireball is just a few frames. Look how different the neutral game is though.
And ofc ppl are going to play footsies even with 8f delay. That isnt the point , Nobodies reactions are perfect , its all about consistency. The lag reduction really helps make you more consistent and confident in playing solid.

Maybe you are right and its just a placebo effect and that I am just normally improving. But I do feel like I am enjoying this game a lot more recently.

Top Bottom