• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Pompadour

I don't think changing 2 stocks to three stock v triggers makes much sense. You won't be able to 'buff them' to balance them out. Two stock V triggers often get used twice in a match and have a relatively huge influence by comparison. It's not something you can simply balance out easily. How would something like Rashid's V trigger fit with this? It gives him access to new moves like the install based vtriggers, but it doesn't last anywhere nearly as long exists independent of Rashid. I don't think giving him an 'powered up' state on top of this would make sense.

I think being able to select alternative vtriggers, skills and critical arts would be a really cool way for each character to access some varied playstyles though. You could really buff some of the lower tier characters by giving them vtriggers that compensate for their weaknesses.

The only issue with that is that it's a lot of work, for Capcom and Capcom are a pretty lazy game developer.

There's several V-Triggers that don't easily slot into either of my designations (Rashid, Urien, Ibuki, etc.). For him I'd have his tornado be his two-stock V move because it's effectively just a slow moving, multi-hit version of his projectiles which have the same move enhancing properties (unless they're even more different than little tornado vs. VT, I don't know as I don't play Rashid). So for him it wouldn't be like having two power-up V-Triggers, necessarily.

An issue with Rashid and my idea would be that you'd have to memorize a lot of different versions of his specials if his V-Trigger modified them. EX modifies the special properties, tornados modify them, and the VT could modify them. I'd give him something else entirely as a power up to keep things from being too messy.

I also agree Capcom isn't likely to do wide system changes because of costs so my idea was to sort of add to the game in a cost-effective way. Critical Arts probably have to be the most expensive move, dev wise, in the game as it includes unique super freeze animations, unique move animations, and often unique hit animations (which are move specific unlike most hit animations which are character specific). The two stock super I proposed would be more like SF4's supers in that they'd be an extra special move in animation but lack a lot of the extra animation of Ultras/CAs.

I'm for swappable Critical Arts if they can make them fundamentally different in function as, the way they are now, they're the best version of supers in SF games because theyee both high damage and super easy to combo into.

I'm against swappable V-Triggers because by the end Season 3 we'd have something like 68 V-Triggers and I don't believe Capcom can make them all as unique as they are in SFV now.

I'm also against swappable V-Skills because many of them just need to be revised heavily. A lot of them come off as an afterthought and don't impact a character's gameplan all that much (and they should). If we had swappable V-Skills then many would fall prey to the issue of SA and Ultra selections in past games where one is the default pick 80% of the time. Except here it would like 95% of the time as many characters rarely see a reason to use their V-Skills.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There's another reason for two stock V-bars: these characters are supposed to use V-Reversal more often. And I kind of like it that way.

Ibuki might be the hardest and I consider Birdie the easiest. There's a lot of characters that are hard or easy to play but they get different mileage out of their execution. Some characters need you to be at the top of your game to make viable.

I've been toying with Birdie in training and I find him a bit confusing. Chains, can, banana and bull horn - I dont know when to use what. =(

Pompadour

I've been toying with Birdie in training and I find him a bit confusing. Chains, can, banana and bull horn - I dont know when to use what. =(

His focus seems to be on easy, big damage and reads. Watch some high level play (or see of you can run into any online) and see what they do. What's nice about Birdie is that it's pretty easy to immediately incorporate something you see another player do because he's so straightforward. He's not like, say, Urien where you may see a cool mix up and you have to practice to get the timing down. His specials all end in knockdown so a lot of his play is conditioning them to choose the wrong option on wakeup.

mooncakes

We're getting close to Capcom Cup so I'm curious if there's any system changes to SFV that people would like to see. And I'm not talking about "fix all this shit" but rather system wide additions/changes to the gameplay itself. There was a thread on Reddit about this and here was my idea on how they could change things up.

Tl;dr: When I'm bored at work I like to theory craft fighting game engine mechanics.

I kind of want to see Anti Air cause a juggle. Except Anti Air Jab, of course.
It rewards the person anti airing and the jumper eats a fat damage.

Pompadour

I kind of want to see Anti Air cause a juggle. Except Anti Air Jab, of course.
It rewards the person anti airing and the jumper eats a fat damage.

I think I proposed earlier in this thread that jabs can't anti-air, mediums would be the traditional anti-air, and a slow heavy would either put the opponent into a juggle state, CC, knockdown, or something to reward the read.

Skilletor

I think I proposed earlier in this thread that jabs can't anti-air, mediums would be the traditional anti-air, and a slow heavy would either put the opponent into a juggle state, CC, knockdown, or something to reward the read.

So...Gief would just be SoL? Sim? Alex?

AA jabs aren't a problem. The problem is that some characters have AA jabs that shouldn't.

vulva

Some dude from japan is tweeting out the notable players at SCR and their pools. I got a mention! :eek: I'm frauding my way in to lists all over again!

https://twitter.com/shirauzutaisa/status/786593222705373188?lang=ja

.@shirauzutaisa
SCR2016暫定SFVスト5プール表
@eita_1988
vulva春麗UP
STDxBlitzmanかりんSP
BabaGhanoushケンP
hoochiiダルシムP
ROMバルログP
Kenneth Pope(Hugo101)ネカリ

Also, my pool's insane. Eita, ROM, Blitzman and Kenneth Pope (I think he got 9th this EVO). Ack!

Pompadour

So...Gief would just be SoL? Sim? Alex?

AA jabs aren't a problem. The problem is that some characters have AA jabs that shouldn't.

AA jabs aren't a problem in SFV as it balances the huge reward jump-ins give you in the game. I just think they're an awful mechanic, period, for any fighting game. They're not unbalanced in SFV, it's just not fun that you neutral jumping your opponent to avoid the throw can work but the AA jab starts up fast enough that the throw whiff can recover and they can still AA you. It's just obnoxious.

And Gief/Sim/whoever would get better AAs. I didn't say "Get rid of AA jabs and change nothing else." I understand they're necessary in SFV in its current form.

Numb

Some dude from japan is tweeting out the notable players at SCR and their pools. I got a mention! :eek: I'm frauding my way in to lists all over again!

.@shirauzutaisa
SCR2016暫定SFVスト5プール表
@eita_1988
vulva春麗UP
STDxBlitzmanかりんSP
BabaGhanoushケンP
hoochiiダルシムP
ROMバルログP
Kenneth Pope(Hugo101)ネカリ

Also, my pool's insane. Eita, ROM, Blitzman and Kenneth Pope (I think he got 9th this EVO). Ack!
RIP

I mean good luck

Has anyone else just stuck solely with one character since launch? I've mained Karin so far and only just started with Birdie, although I've yet to take him out of training mode. I find it really difficult to spend time with other characters as I always think in the back of my head... my Karin still sucks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing Karin since the beta pretty much exclusively except for a few lobbies where the skill difference was too big and single player stuff like trials. Still enjoy it.

mooncakes

Has anyone else just stuck solely with one character since launch? I've mained Karin so far and only just started with Birdie, although I've yet to take him out of training mode. I find it really difficult to spend time with other characters as I always think in the back of my head... my Karin still sucks.

Not really. It gets boring playing one character. I play Mika so I can derp and I play Ibuki so I can tryhard and git gud.

Pejo

I've pretty much stuck with Necalli, and he's the only one I can do well with. I also dabble with Nash and Juri, but never in actual matches - pretty much training mode only.

I played with Bison at launch and changed to Dhalsim about two weeks in. I've been maining 'Sim since and picked up Urien casually.

Steroyd

Primarily yes, I don't feel like I should really delve too deeply into other characters when I'm learning alot with Cammy in terms of maintaining pressure while keeping safe, her squishyness helps me realise my fuck ups more.

One day I'd love to bring Gief online, but I suck with an analogue stick, but SPD'ing is so much fun.

One day...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
In SF4 I used to hit walls really hard. Just feeling like I'm not getting better at all anymore.
For some reason this is completely different in V, not sure why. I'm slowly implementing more and more stuff and I think I'm still steadily improving.

Shadoken

Wtf all the SCR pools got shuffled again now I got SonicFox in my pool , wonder if he will play Urien or FANG. I havent played a lot of games against a solid Urien. And its been a long time since i played against a good Fang too.

Farewell

.@shirauzutaisa
SCR2016暫定SFVスト5プール表
@eita_1988
vulva春麗UP
STDxBlitzmanかりんSP
BabaGhanoushケンP
hoochiiダルシムP
ROMバルログP
Kenneth Pope(Hugo101)ネカリ

This will be hard for sure, but you can do it, i wish you good luck!

Edit: Oh looks like it got shuffled again?

Wtf all the SCR pools got shuffled again now I got SonicFox in my pool , wonder if he will play Urien or FANG. I havent played a lot of games against a solid Urien. And its been a long time since i played against a good Fang too.

You are in there too? Wow a big good luck for you also!

Ryu boyz

FSLink

Banned

Nash here.

Messing around with a lot of characters in training mode/lobbies though.

I'm liking Guile and Urien.

vulva

This will be hard for sure, but you can do it, i wish you good luck!

Edit: Oh looks like it got shuffled again?

You are in there too? Wow a big good luck for you also!

Mine still looks the same. I actually requested a minor change to my pool only because Blitzman is also from Toronto. With like 3 dudes from Toronto competing, it's kind of crazy to get put in the same pool. That said it hasn't updated yet.

Shadoken

Mine still looks the same. I actually requested a minor change to my pool only because Blitzman is also from Toronto. With like 3 dudes from Toronto competing, it's kind of crazy to get put in the same pool. That said it hasn't updated yet.

Is this final or Is going to get shuffled again?

Edit : Oh nvm , I misunderstood. I guess only that one player or you would be swapped.

.@shirauzutaisa
SCR2016暫定SFVスト5プール表
@eita_1988
vulva春麗UP
STDxBlitzmanかりんSP
BabaGhanoushケンP
hoochiiダルシムP
ROMバルログP
Kenneth Pope(Hugo101)ネカリ
!

Lmao this death bracket. California tourneys in general are super hard. The average tourney goer here is very strong.

vulva

Is this final or Is going to get shuffled again?

Edit : Oh nvm , I misunderstood. I guess only that one player or you would be swapped.

Lmao this death bracket. California tourneys in general are super hard. The average tourney goer here is very strong.

Yeah, and the only reason for the change is that it's crazy to play a dude from back home at a tournament with 32 pools. I don't ever complain about being given a hard bracket or anything.

So at this point who is the hardest character to play and who is the easiest?
Alex, FANG, Ibuki, Zangief and Rashid come to mind. Alex needs some of the best reads in the game to be effective (plus no wakeup game to speak of), FANG needs you to have a really good grasp of his mixups, Ibuki is this game's biggest glass cannon, I don't think I have to explain Gief and Rashid has to do a ton of work since he lacks FANG's poison on top of having low damage. Easiest are definitely Necalli, Ryu, Ken, Mika, Cammy, Nash and Karin. You'd think Chun belongs there, but her combos take some work. Her footsies and combo conversions are up there with the best of them, though.
We're getting close to Capcom Cup so I'm curious if there's any system changes to SFV that people would like to see. And I'm not talking about "fix all this shit" but rather system wide additions/changes to the gameplay itself. There was a thread on Reddit about this and here was my idea on how they could change things up.
Most of the critical arts are fine and they can be made better wherever necessary. I'd rather see Capcom dedicate more of their energy towards adding new V-skills for each character, buffing some V-reversals and buffing some of the weaker V-Triggers. Characters like Alex and Ibuki have V-skills that just might not be salvageable tbh.

So far just Ryu. I was tempted with Karin at first but dropped her and then Guile but I'm not fond of charge characters even though he fits my play style.

I really hope Dudley gets in soon. SSF4 was my reintroduction to Street Fighter and I connected with him instantly. I know people try say that Balrog is like Dudley in SF5 but he's still a charge character and that's a no go for me.

I feel like the biggest idiot on the planet. I completely forgot about Dhalsim lol. My man is the poster boy of weird and hard to approach SF design and that hasn't changed at all in V even if he is a bit more rushdown focused than he used to be.

goddamn
Some folks aren't as acclimated to hybrid, simultaneous charge and motion special characters, but I feel you. Most the characters in the game aren't hard for me to play with, unless their style just isn't my speed (i.e. birdie/geif).
I'm pretty acclimated after more than a year of playing Alex in the 3S FC lobby and I got pretty good at playing Bella in Skullgirls. One gets reamed daily in the FC lobby if they're a scrub and doubly so if they are picking one of the lower tier characters.

I've been all over the place with the cast since the betas. I think at this point i've already considered at least 7 characters to be my 'best' character or mains at some point. Its actually getting kinda tiring and I have no idea who I want to play anymore. I'm trying to force myself to stick to Juri and Guile now even though they are some of my weaker characters. Like while I think having all the character knowledge that comes with playing so much of the cast has helped alot on the critical thinking aspects of how I can approach various matchups its kinda frustrating to be so unfocused.

Sigmaah

Vega for me but finally got a second char which is urien.

I will be playing more chars tho once I get who I like (akuma, Sagat, makoto, t.hawk, sodom, Q, oni, I could go on)

Numb

Vega only until Alex

Backdash should be invincible again and should all be identical so no Rose Backdash. It's usless 95% of the time because of meaty Crush Counters. It can still be countered during it's recovery.

Jab AA needsnto be tone down. There is no weakness to the move and leave them in advantage opponents forcing to block or tech. They should increase the knock back with 3-4 frames moves being able to hit after a dash depending what the opponent press.

Bring back footsies. It's stupid how big R.mika's hitbox on her clap and beating sweeps and Cr.mk at max range.

SephLuis

How do you complete the Shibasaki mission ? I have been quite some time away from the game and haven't read about it >.>

EDIT: Got it. Dhalsim character story. Second mission

Skilletor

Backdash should be invincible again and should all be identical so no Rose Backdash. It's usless 95% of the time because of meaty Crush Counters. It can still be countered during it's recovery.

Everything about this sentence is awful. I'm legit triggered right now. lol

Just go back to playing SF4.

Protip: Backdashes aren't only useful (and aren't even supposed to be used) on wakeup.

vulva

Jab AA needsnto be tone down. There is no weakness to the move and leave them in advantage opponents forcing to block or tech. They should increase the knock back with 3-4 frames moves being able to hit after a dash depending what the opponent press.

Bring back footsies. It's stupid how big R.mika's hitbox on her clap and beating sweeps and Cr.mk at max range.

Backdash is meant for mobility. Only things backdash should outright beat are throws.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

How about a mechanic where you spend meter to cancel moves? You should also be able to dash out of that cancel to do a longer combo or make it safe.

Top Bottom