• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

It was a good match, even if Sanford was jumping way too much. They called it though - he was gonna say SFV sucks either way lmaoo.

He's so salty they can't find him.

HardRojo

Is the online wonky right now? It's taking unusually long to find a match, and the two matches I found got dropped right after the VS screen.
Edit: Something is definitely wrong, dropped matches between rounds and shit. Welp, not gonna bother tonight.

Duress

No, I'm not going to rematch, with this Rashid from France. The lag was so bad, and kept taunting me because he thought he was playing well. Stay salty.

Spman2099

Has anyone else used Alex's V-Skill and had people CLEARLY confuse it for a taunt and start going nuts? I feel bad, I have seen a couple of people go crazy with taunts after I use his V-Skill. I am pretty sure they are unaware that it actually serves a purpose...

Sanford still brings the salt in 2016. Bless his little heart.

If you ever see Sanford being chill than you can be certain that the body snatchers are here.

Playing against Ken online is literally the worst.

Not because of the character, but because rollback makes the run cancel considerably more difficult to react to.

I think I need to become more accustomed to people who play stupid. I always assume my opponent will have some iota of sense as to when they use invincible reversals/CAs/other such balderdash and end up eating hits during my own blockstrings because they're mashing like a nut.

Having so much fun with Urien. I dropped off the game for a while due to a busier schedule for work, but I'm staying up late now just because I have so much fun with the character.

Worth the wait.

Zackat

I think I need to become more accustomed to people who play stupid. I always assume my opponent will have some iota of sense as to when they use invincible reversals/CAs/other such balderdash and end up eating hits during my own blockstrings because they're mashing like a nut.

that's when they get you, though.

I sometimes think they are playing mindgames with me by mashing out dp at every chance. It is what I lose to the most consistently by far. Ken's that go fucking HAM are really tough for me too, until I remember to just turtle and wait for them to mess up. Which happens quickly enough.

Has anyone else used Alex's V-Skill and had people CLEARLY confuse it for a taunt and start going nuts? I feel bad, I have seen a couple of people go crazy with taunts after I use his V-Skill. I am pretty sure they are unaware that it actually serves a purpose...
Don't think I've had that yet, but I made it to silver rank pretty fast and from that point onward most people have some idea what characters can do (especially the DLC characters that drew a lot of attention). I could see bronze and rookie players freaking out.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I've lost to ken's who just run and either tech or dp all day because I couldn't counter or punish them properly. The hit box is Laura's bane but it's not something that will always beat me.
someday I'll beat the pc macros...

If you ever see Sanford being chill than you can be certain that the body snatchers are here.
Hey man when I play I casuals, I spam moves and see if the opponent will tech my throws or not. It's not because I have no mercy but they need to know humiliation before they can gitgud.

What if they are testing you and seeing what you will do and if your block strings are tight?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ohhh, you have to hold it until YOUR intro starts? I think I was letting go as soon as the player 1 intro started.

I'm really late to respond to this, but found that you can press start while holding the buttons during either your or your opponent's intro, and you'll get the thong.

So yeah, you can still skip p1 intro if you're p2, but you've gotta be holding the buttons while doing so.

Tizoc

So there won't be a bundle with all the alt. outfits? Capcpom pls...

I'm really late to respond to this, but found that you can press start while holding the buttons during either your or your opponent's intro, and you'll get the thong.

So yeah, you can still skip p1 intro if you're p2, but you've gotta be holding the buttons while doing so.

Yeah basically hold the buttons until the match starts or rather when a character appears on screen and you can skip intros and he'll be in his thong.

lupinko

I bought three Halloween costumes and will buy the rest soon. If they weren't a limited a run I would buy them piecemeal over a longer period.

Also PSN is doing that spend $100 get $15 back. I'm pretty sure I bought the CPT bundle at the start (I'll check in a bit) along with the three Halloween costumes. So I'm almost there, I dunno maybe MKXL which is on sale along with the Witcher season pass should put me over the hump or something.

Pompadour

So at this point who is the hardest character to play and who is the easiest?

Ibuki might be the hardest and I consider Birdie the easiest. There's a lot of characters that are hard or easy to play but they get different mileage out of their execution. Some characters need you to be at the top of your game to make viable.

Durden77

I bought three Halloween costumes and will buy the rest soon. If they weren't a limited a run I would buy them piecemeal over a longer period.

Also PSN is doing that spend $100 get $15 back. I'm pretty sure I bought the CPT bundle at the start (I'll check in a bit) along with the three Halloween costumes. So I'm almost there, I dunno maybe MKXL which is on sale along with the Witcher season pass should put me over the hump or something.

Huh. I'm planning on preordering Xenoverse 2's deluxe edition which is 90$ tomorrow. Might go ahead and buy a few costumes and take advantage of that.

HiResDes

Ibuki might be the hardest and I consider Birdie the easiest. There's a lot of characters that are hard or easy to play but they get different mileage out of their execution. Some characters need you to be at the top of your game to make viable.

Fang is up there with being the hardest too, Cammy is pretty easy to play, but yeah I'd give Birdie the edge. Just watched SEAM 2016 and Xian's Fang is so sexy, love how he always chooses the hardest characters to play and constantly comes out with new tech.

I thought it was just me not knowing how to handle it when BigBird was practically getting free jumpins on me with Ken's jumping tatsu.

Then I saw the replay of SEAM and noticed Eita doing the exact same thing against Xian's FANG.

Freaking Ken.

mbpm1

I thought it was just me not knowing how to handle it when BigBird was practically getting free jumpins on me with Ken's jumping tatsu.

Then I saw the replay of SEAM and noticed Eita doing the exact same thing against Xian's FANG.

Freaking Ken.

If you're trying to AA Ken, DP or go home

At least Juri has a DP whew

Ugh. Literally no character in the game frustrates me as much as Ken. Ryu, Chun-Li, Guile, even Mika are fun to play against but freaking Ken man.I just feel powerless against him and it sucks that I have no offline Kens I can practice against.

Oh well.

If you're trying to AA Ken, DP or go home

At least Juri has a DP whew
I guess I can just slide out of there lol, that's about the best FANG can do in that situation.

mbpm1

Ugh. Literally no character in the game frustrates me as much as Ken. Ryu, Chun-Li, Guile, even Mika are fun to play against but freaking Ken man.I just feel powerless against him and it sucks that I have no offline Kens I can practice against.

just go to your boy big bird's house, he's like down the street from you right Kappa

Last night was an Alex gauntlet for my Urien in casuals. Holy shit that match is hard for Urien. I only think I won one match against an Alex last night in the hours I played.

Pompadour

We're getting close to Capcom Cup so I'm curious if there's any system changes to SFV that people would like to see. And I'm not talking about "fix all this shit" but rather system wide additions/changes to the gameplay itself. There was a thread on Reddit about this and here was my idea on how they could change things up.

Myself on Reddit said:
Since people want multiple V-Skills, V-Triggers, and Critical Arts as well as many top players complaining the game doesn't have a ton of "depth" here is my idea.

Across the board everyone's V-Gauge has three stocks and any sort of power-up/install V-Trigger that was a two stock gets buffed to match it's three stock cost.

Now, there's a new use for the V-Gauge called "V-Move" or "V-Art" (whatever) that costs two stocks and acts as a move. V-Triggers like Mika, Nash, and Vega's get moved to this slot and they gain new, power up style V-Triggers. The idea behind V-Arts shouldn't be that they're strictly damage dealers but have tactical uses (much like Mika and Vega's already do) as combo extenders/mix up tools/anti-airs/etc.

So for the Super gauge side there will also be a 2-stock move that acts as a level 2 super of sorts (if the CA is a level 3). It does damage in the 200 range and is designed to be a move that covers a hole in the character's gameplan. It's meant to evoke how a lot of Ultras had to force your opponent to change their gameplan because you had an anti-air Ultra, for example. Since SFV doesn't really give most characters to punish jump-ins big I can see a lot of these 2-stock moves being 200+ damage anti-airs if that's something the character needs. But again, they would all be very different.

I think these additions allow characters to be even more unique and popular moves from past games can be repurposed for these new additions. The two stock moves, in particular, can be a lot like SF3's super art system where less costly supers did less damage but had more utility (Ex: Dudley's Corkscrew Blow) where the Critical Art acts as their big damage super that's difficult to combo into (Ex: Dudley's Rolling Thunder).

In light of these additions, I'd probably make CAs harder to combo into but just as damaging. I'd make a very slight damage reduction across the board (except CAs) because, although I love how high damage this game is, people often complain the damage makes games a little random. I'd also loosen up the juggle system because it's a bummer seeing all sorts of moves that look like they juggle but don't (particularly Urien).

I would also flat out change some V-Skills that are either/or not useful or boring. It's weird certain characters get V-Skills that have multiple uses and variations where others (like Ibuki) get shafted.

Tl;dr: When I'm bored at work I like to theory craft fighting game engine mechanics.

I'm thinking of playing Vega just because i like the way he looks and his fighting style seems really cool, quick and elusive :p. I'm still a complete newcomer, is this a bad idea for progressing as a whole in this game? or is playing a character i like going to get me further than sticking with ryu to get more of the fundamentals down?

Oh well.

I guess I can just slide out of there lol, that's about the best FANG can do in that situation.
i play Ken if you want to practice. Dunno how solid our connection is.

I'm thinking of playing Vega just because i like the way he looks and his fighting style seems really cool, quick and elusive :p. I'm still a complete newcomer, is this a bad idea for progressing as a whole in this game? or is playing a character i like going to get me further than sticking with ryu to get more of the fundamentals down?

Vega is pretty beginner friendly in this game, actually. His more complex combos will require some (not super strict) link timing, but he's got a ton of great tools. I'd say go for it. If anything, learning the character will help you in dealing with fighting against one later on if you choose to focus on another character.

Sigmaah

Get ready to not be able to do shit on wake up. Block for years.

We're getting close to Capcom Cup so I'm curious if there's any system changes to SFV that people would like to see. And I'm not talking about "fix all this shit" but rather system wide additions/changes to the gameplay itself. There was a thread on Reddit about this and here was my idea on how they could change things up.

Tl;dr: When I'm bored at work I like to theory craft fighting game engine mechanics.

I don't think changing 2 stocks to three stock v triggers makes much sense. You won't be able to 'buff them' to balance them out. Two stock V triggers often get used twice in a match and have a relatively huge influence by comparison. It's not something you can simply balance out easily. How would something like Rashid's V trigger fit with this? It gives him access to new moves like the install based vtriggers, but it doesn't last anywhere nearly as long exists independent of Rashid. I don't think giving him an 'powered up' state on top of this would make sense.

I think being able to select alternative vtriggers, skills and critical arts would be a really cool way for each character to access some varied playstyles though. You could really buff some of the lower tier characters by giving them vtriggers that compensate for their weaknesses.

The only issue with that is that it's a lot of work, for Capcom and Capcom are a pretty lazy game developer.

Top Bottom