• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What I often do with Karin is st.lk, cr.hp. Do I get a crush counter against this OS with that? Because I surely do get them often.

stn

Are the Summer costumes also only available for a limited time? I'm feeling to splurge on the Halloween pack today.

FluxWaveZ

Omni never told you this?

No one ever tells me anything until I discover it on my own. It's like how I learned Guile's normal somersault wasn't an invincible reversal until I learned about it by accident just two months ago.

Kens entire v-skill pressure from blocked normals is not safe. But it's not always easy to react to it the ken mixes it up. And with you trying to punish it turns into a big opportunity for you or the Ken to get a counter hit. Hint most Kens like to surprise run off of c.mp

Dp canceled into V-trigger is just to avoid big crush counter damage, you should always punish that.

Knowing V-Skill pressure is pretty much minus off of anything he does changes a lot of things. Not that I like pressing buttons against Ken now anyways, but I'll be shutting down Kens a lot more successfully with jabs now when they're on the offense.

mbpm1

No one ever tells me anything until I discover it on my own. It's like how I learned Guile's normal somersault wasn't an invincible reversal until I learned about it by accident just two months ago.

Omni pls

When you fought him you were just respecting run pressure the whole time? Or did he just not test you on them?

Producer

Thanks a lot, will try that today.

You probably already know this but you can easily practice this in training. Do 2 dummy recordings, start of with a sweep and then one with a meaty followup and another with a throw, and set them both on, and just practice it.

JayEH

Why is Urien's V-Trigger the only one that still comes out even if you hit him on its start-up? I don't think any other behaves like that. Aegis basically has 0 frames start-up.
Like...he would be stupid not to mash it on wake-up.

Example: https://twitter.com/AutoMattock/status/786953929057824768

This happened to me today...lost the round.

image.php

Why is Urien's V-Trigger the only one that still comes out even if you hit him on its start-up? I don't think any other behaves like that. Aegis basically has 0 frames start-up.

How was he hit during start up? Start up is when the screen freezes, you can't hit someone out of that. You can clearly see mika's mp not hitting anything yet before the screen freezes.
I think you mean on the recovery? Because the exact same thing is going to happen if you try to interrupt mika like that, nadeshiko is still going to nail you.

Is this basically a free escape from a throw loop? Well maybe you'd have to take one throw but then your opponent would either get hit or be stuck in block stun during the throw recovery?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Mika's still come out
I think you're right, Nadeshiko behaves the same. But you have enough time to still block.

How was he hit during start up? Start up is when the screen freezes, you can't hit someone out of that. You can clearly see mika's mp not hitting anything yet before the screen freezes.
I think you mean on the recovery? Because the exact same thing is going to happen if you try to interrupt mika like that, nadeshiko is still going to nail you.
I'm saying you can't hit Urien out of Aegis activation, it will come out no matter what, even if you hit him. It will be out there and it will hit you.

Is this basically a free escape from a throw loop? Well maybe you'd have to take one throw but then your opponent would either get hit or be stuck in block stun during the throw recovery?
I think so, but your opponent could just go for a cross-up or back off. Not in a situation like in the video, though.

mbpm1

I think you're right, Nadeshiko behaves the same. But you have enough time to still block.

Definitely been hit out of a meaty after a v-trigger activation before with Mika

I think so, but your opponent could just go for a cross-up or back off. Not in a situation like in the video, though.

It's still the safest wakeup option in the game

I'm saying you can't hit Urien out of Aegis activation, it will come out no matter what, even if you hit him. It will be out there and it will hit you.

...well you can't hit anyone out of the vtrigger startup, as soon as the screen freezes the trigger will be active, you can only punish the recovery, which means that for rashid/vega/dhalsim you can interrupt them.
But for everyone else the trigger is active, or will still come out like urien/mika/ibuki

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
...well you can't hit anyone out of the vtrigger startup, as soon as the screen freezes the trigger will be active, you can only punish the recovery, which means that for rashid/vega/dhalsim you can interrupt them.
But for everyone else the trigger is active, or will still come out like urien/mika/ibuki
That's what I'm saying. The difference to Mika and Ibuki is that you're definitely going to get hit by the Aegis.

Does that make it the best wake-up option in the game?

For some reason, all my matches with Urien come down to spacing them out with normals but not hitting combos. I get too nervous during a match to do anything reliable save cr.HP into headbutt.

I'm so free, and there's a tournament on Wednesday...

Omni pls

When you fought him you were just respecting run pressure the whole time? Or did he just not test you on them?
Ken being negative after run is pretty common, it's why in the beginning everyone was saying "that's not real" when Kens were applying run pressure. In a real match it's not the easiest thing to react to though if used sparingly, good Kens won't abuse it.

If you aren't a shoto player, it can easily be overlooked I guess. But this is really just a trip to SRK or Event Hubs away, and checking the frame data. Like all the Urien players abusing his EX shoulder rush move, punish that junk on block! If you just play him without checking frame data that move might feel safe in a match.

You literally just said back dashes are useless. You were complaining about Nash and his vtrig and reversal just a page ago. Almost every single post you make in this thread is bitching about something.

So balance suggestions and talking about Nash's flaws is now complaining? If you want to see complaining then go to SFV community Hub on Steam or Follow Chris T on twitter.

Knowing V-Skill pressure is pretty much minus off of anything he does changes a lot of things. Not that I like pressing buttons against Ken now anyways, but I'll be shutting down Kens a lot more successfully with jabs now when they're on the offense.
that might just be because you're always on ranked lol...just play more sets it was bound to come up, As stated Kens run pressure not being safe is very common knowledge. It's not as easy to pick off either because as I said, solid Kens will run on you when you least expect it, it's part of Kens DNA to be kinda yolo.

I'll hit you up for sets when I see you on though. Ken vs Mika is a fun matchup.

FluxWaveZ

that might just be because you're always on ranked lol...just play more sets it was bound to come up, As stated Kens run pressure not being safe is very common knowledge. It's not as easy to pick off either because as I said, solid Kens will run on you when you least expect it, it's part of Kens DNA to be kinda yolo.

I'll hit you up for sets when I see you on though. Ken vs Mika is a fun matchup.

No, ranked isn't the issue. I've played hundreds of matches online against Kens, and dozens against people at locals, but not once did I fall into the info about Ken's V-Trigger or V-Skill cancels like this. I always had the assumption that it was in Ken's favor after the cancel, so I never dared touch a button after it, which meant there was never an opportunity for me to accidentally find out it's punishable. No one mentioned it around me, either, so there was no way for me to find out until now.

breh I told you this at Dreamhack

Ha, that's what I was referring to by two months ago, though I guess "accidentally" was the wrong way to put it. It was only after my set against the Guile player (where I constantly did the j.LK cross-up) where I found out through you telling me that only his EX somersault was invincible. Changed everything.

It's like, without it being chance at that moment, I might have still believed today that all of Guile's somersaults were invincible.

mbpm1

No, ranked isn't the issue. I've played hundreds of matches online against Kens, and dozens against people at locals, but not once did I fall into the info about Ken's V-Trigger or V-Skill cancels like this. I always had the assumption that it was in Ken's favor after the cancel, so I never dared touch a button after it, which meant there was never an opportunity for me to accidentally find out it's punishable. No one mentioned it around me, either, so there was no way for me to find out until now.

I see.

Me, I always want to press buttons, especially if I see an unfamiliar move or string I try to jab it, so I usually notice that type of thing.

vulva

Some good advice is that if you find something frustrating or don't know how to approach it, look up the data on it. Just realize that whenever something seems good or strong, there's usually some more to it than what you first see. You're saying there's no way to find out, but the reality is that you just haven't taught yourself how to find out information. Don't wait until you "accidentally find something out" rather take the first opportunity you're given to see how good something you're frustrated with really is.

mbpm1

Definitely.

This isn't SFIV where people just had to take and hold blocked DP FADC DP/Ultra/Instant Overhead/low OS backdash/Command Grab/Regular Grab/Tick button Pressure or the delayed variants of all of the above for years.

SFV is pretty balanced in terms of strengths and weaknesses. If something is very strong in some way it almost always has corresponding weaknesses in other areas. And even if it doesn't it's usually good to look into it.

Except AA jabs, not sure about some of those.

Edzi

Ha, that's what I was referring to by two months ago, though I guess "accidentally" was the wrong way to put it. It was only after my set against the Guile player (where I constantly did the j.LK cross-up) where I found out through you telling me that only his EX somersault was invincible. Changed everything.

It's like, without it being chance at that moment, I might have still believed today that all of Guile's somersaults were invincible.

Bruh, how are you so ignorant about a game you're so good at. I don't get it.

FluxWaveZ

Man, GAF is taking forever to load for me today. Hard to respond to things like this.

Some good advice is that if you find something frustrating or don't know how to approach it, look up the data on it. Just realize that whenever something seems good or strong, there's usually some more to it than what you first see. You're saying there's no way to find out, but the reality is that you just haven't taught yourself how to find out information. Don't wait until you "accidentally find something out" rather take the first opportunity you're given to see how good something you're frustrated with really is.

You're right. It's not that there was no way for me to find out, but I never really asked myself any questions about it. I'm finding out that making assumptions like these without knowing for sure is dangerous; I never really thought about questioning them because that's how I thought they appeared on the surface. I'll have to think about other moves that I haven't really checked out and look up their data.

FluxWaveZ

Bruh, how are you so ignorant about a game you're so good at. I don't get it.

First and foremost, in any game, I will play by instinct and not data. I don't really pay attention to in-depth technical conversations about the game since that's time I could dedicate to playing instead.

Man, GAF is taking forever to load for me today. Hard to respond to things like this.

You're right. It's not that there was no way for me to find out, but I never really asked myself any questions about it. I'm finding out that making assumptions like these without knowing for sure is dangerous; I never really thought about questioning them because that's how I thought they appeared on the surface. I'll have to think about other moves that I haven't really checked out and look up their data.
a good rule of thumb is everyone has weaknesses. I just go from there. Something feels derpy, or a particular character giving me trouble you go to the "lab" on them. I usually try and play that character a little bit too just to get a feel.

But if you're going to tourney, you basically need to lab the entire cast bro...

That's why that's not my scene takes the fun out of the game a little to be analyzing so much data, and even when you do, you have to put in into practice.

Besides Mika games is 50/50. She laughs at frame data!!!

Anyone getting any big frame drops on PC after the last update? I haven't played since the Urien update and launched it today, but I'm getting a lot of frame drops no matter what mode I'm playing in. I've never had this issue before.

Blah, don't you fucking hate it when you get into one of those really bad streaks? When shit is just off, your moves always whiff, you don't punish the stuff you normally should, you never guess on a tech correctly, you throw out an attack right at the second they just so happen to jump and you get hit with a 40% combo. It's just frustrating, not to mention having to deal with bad matches where the connection is just unstable enough that you get rollback at the most inopportune time. Has not been a good few days. On top of that, having to wait 5 minutes in between opponents to pop up online might be the worst aspect to playing this game. I just wanna fucking play, you know? Normally I would have locals to look forward to so I can play some really good players in constant 10 or more match set, match after match after match, but my TE2+ I got from Amazon came in defective and I had to send it back the next day, waiting another two weeks for a replacement. Really shitty week for SF. Looking forward to better days.

Just had to vent, sorry. In other news, I'm excited for SCR. Xyzzy is attending and I'm looking forward to more inspirational Birdie play! Maybe it'll get me out of that rut I've been having.

Top Bottom