• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

JayEH

one of the nights where nothing goes right. i just don't get some of the design decisions in this game sometimes. i don't understand why i need to be on the defensive when an opponent does a move that -2 because im afraid they'll dp their way out it.

What are some general Urien tips? I'm getting peed on in my matches, so I'm hitting a wall here. I recognize my AA game is fucking booty - I know I'm suppose to use f.mp and hk but the timing is super hard compared to DPing. I'm also bad at getting damage - almost all my shit comes from pokes and I feel like normal combos are dropping because a). I'm not charging right in the heat of the moment and b). I catch people on shit I didn't think would work and I end up farting around and just leaving damage off the table. I'm able to get some good things off an AR with basic setups, but man any time someone applies intense pressure like Nash and the like before that I get eaten alive.

So in short, how the fuck do you use charge characters with combos? And what other general things should I be doing/not doing?

Urien has 3 anti-air moves you want to be using: f+MP for far jump-ins, sHK for closer jumps you can get a read on, and crHP for really shallow jumps (only the second hit will connect, of course). Learning when to do each is basically just a matter of trial-and-error + muscle memory and you don't really have any options for dealing with cross-ups, but if you can learn those three effectively then you're golden.

As for charging, it's kind of hard to explain. I don't feel like you should be holding down-back at all times like with other charge characters because Urien's such an aggressive fighter, but because most of your combos will end with either tackle (for knockdown) or headbutt (for pressure) it's good to practice two techniques:

1. Holding down-back whenever you use a crouching move. This will allow you to easily confirm headbutt off of crLP or crMP or knee drop off of crHP in the corner. Learning this will make "reactive charging" (charging as soon as you land a confirm on the opponent) much easier to pick up and is a good starting point.

2. Adding "filler" moves into your combos to give you more time to charge. For instance, let's say you're in the neutral and one of your wayward crMPs finds its mark. While you could cancel immediately into HP tackle if you were charging already, linking into crLP and then cancelling the latter into LK tackle will work even if you didn't start holding down-back until after crMP connected. Urien's LP > MP target combo is great for this as well, as sMP's long animation will give you more than enough time to buffer a charge for either headbutt or tackle on reaction.

Also, don't be afraid to spend some V-Meter on a reversal if you're getting pressured. Aegis Reflector combos are awesome but Urien doesn't need them to win so you don't have to cling to your meter until the bitter end.

Zackat

I was almost gold, my real goal for this game for right now, and I dropped all the way back to normal silver. I think I played way too long while I was tilted earlier, just making it worse. Ugghhh

what are some training mode tips you guys can give? I find it so boring and stop trying before I really get started. I am just having a hard time optimizing what I do in there because the tools seem so.... last gen.

JayEH

I was almost gold, my real goal for this game for right now, and I dropped all the way back to normal silver. I think I played way too long while I was tilted earlier, just making it worse. Ugghhh

what are some training mode tips you guys can give? I find it so boring and stop trying before I really get started. I am just having a hard time optimizing what I do in there because the tools seem so.... last gen.

i feel you. got to 3950ish three times tonight and couldn't seal the deal. I was mad salty for hours lol. I need to stop caring about points so much, I should be focusing on getting better not necessarily points.

Man, you don't respect wakeup at all lol.

I also can't react to Ibuki's crossup dash, so RIP.

I'm not sure what that means? If it's your wakeup headbutt i baited it a few times but I keep thinking you won't do it.

It's my first time fighting a urien too so I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do. I'm getting caught by those overheads Everytime.

Edzi

I'm not sure what that means? If it's your wakeup headbutt i baited it a few times but I keep thinking you won't do it.

It's my first time fighting a urien too so I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do. I'm getting caught by those overheads Everytime.

Yeah, the headbutt. You got hit by every single one in the first few games because you wouldn't stop attacking on my wakup.

Also, my Urien is pretty bad, so you may be picking up some bad habits from me.

Yeah, the headbutt. You got hit by every single one in the first few games because you wouldn't stop attacking on my wakup.

I didn't even know he had an invincible wakeup lol. Took me a while to figure out.

I haven't played since before the update. I know we've played before. I gotta live up for my cfn name lol.

Edzi

I didn't even know he had an invincible wakeup lol. Took me a while to figure out.

I haven't played since before the update. I know we've played before. I gotta live up for my cfn name lol.

I'm starting to realize I can't open people up. People above Gold can block and tech all of my advances, and I'm just kinda lost.

i feel you. got to 3950ish three times tonight and couldn't seal the deal. I was mad salty for hours lol. I need to stop caring about points so much, I should be focusing on getting better not necessarily points.

I know the feeling. One thing that helped me was to put pride aside and don't do rematches if I feel I couldn't beat this person.

Necalli and Alex mostly. Been trying to make Urien work lately, but haven't been having much success.

Oh right, you were one of the few Alex's I ever played. I'm up for some matches tomorrow around the same time if you want to play. I needed a break from playing Overwatch for the past month.

FluxWaveZ

Ha, according to my CFN profile, my "Overall Guard Rate" is 38.57%. My "Normal Throw Escape Rate" is 26.67%. Wonder what the average is. Defense would certainly be the weakest part of my playstyle.

CD'S BAR

Been playing as characters I don't normally use in order to get quick(er) exp in casual. Everyone in this game is fun to play. The only characters I don't really dig are Juri (looks great, but move set is boring) and Vega (never liked him all the way back to SF2...feels too lightweight or something> Can;t really describe it.)

Urien has 3 anti-air moves you want to be using: f+MP for far jump-ins, sHK for closer jumps you can get a read on, and crHP for really shallow jumps (only the second hit will connect, of course). Learning when to do each is basically just a matter of trial-and-error + muscle memory and you don't really have any options for dealing with cross-ups, but if you can learn those three effectively then you're golden.

As for charging, it's kind of hard to explain. I don't feel like you should be holding down-back at all times like with other charge characters because Urien's such an aggressive fighter, but because most of your combos will end with either tackle (for knockdown) or headbutt (for pressure) it's good to practice two techniques:

1. Holding down-back whenever you use a crouching move. This will allow you to easily confirm headbutt off of crLP or crMP or knee drop off of crHP in the corner. Learning this will make "reactive charging" (charging as soon as you land a confirm on the opponent) much easier to pick up and is a good starting point.

2. Adding "filler" moves into your combos to give you more time to charge. For instance, let's say you're in the neutral and one of your wayward crMPs finds its mark. While you could cancel immediately into HP tackle if you were charging already, linking into crLP and then cancelling the latter into LK tackle will work even if you didn't start holding down-back until after crMP connected. Urien's LP > MP target combo is great for this as well, as sMP's long animation will give you more than enough time to buffer a charge for either headbutt or tackle on reaction.

Also, don't be afraid to spend some V-Meter on a reversal if you're getting pressured. Aegis Reflector combos are awesome but Urien doesn't need them to win so you don't have to cling to your meter until the bitter end.

This is A+ stuff, especially since I've been overly reliant on using AR and not using my v-reversal. Thanks!

That feeling when Nash tries to medium sonic scythe at the start of the round and you get a crush counter cause you knew it was coming.

wC56TPP.png

galvenize

The more I go low tier the more fun I'm having.

Started with Karin, went Alex, now Juri.

Still maining Alex as I'm Ultra Gold with him but I can't stop playing Juri in casuals.

SFV is re downloading 7.4gb again after Thursday and Yesterday the game was crashing on Start Up. Also Ultra Gold is putting me up against a 9000+ LP player from Zimbabwe

remz

Just went up against some bison that had to be lag switching. Game would go to shit from 5 bars just as he hammers out headtomps. Honestly don't get why people do this stuff.

My suggestion for fighting Game netplay- if a match goes below a certain packet loss % make the ranked game worth no points.

LakeEarth

Or a way to mutually quit the game without it counting as a drop. I hate having that mutual stare down as the lag makes the game glitch out slooooooooow FAST FAST FAST so fast the cloth physics can't handle it!!!

I had a game where a Ken was at a constant offensive while the connection was a slide show. I know the level of lag can vary between opponents but he was doing 5 hit combos while I couldn't even see the combo the lag was so bad.

Mesoian

Has anyone been getting chronic failures to connect to server? I feel like I haven't had my stats update in match in a few days.

Fighting Gief as Cammy is awful. They just Cr.jab everything and jumping dosent help.

I was able to watch a live match from someone in the U.S. The only thing that was noticeable with the rollback were the npc. It's still disappointing as there is no way of changing the input delay and set the ping limit.

Top Bottom