• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

vulva

Man, GAF is taking forever to load for me today. Hard to respond to things like this.

You're right. It's not that there was no way for me to find out, but I never really asked myself any questions about it. I'm finding out that making assumptions like these without knowing for sure is dangerous; I never really thought about questioning them because that's how I thought they appeared on the surface. I'll have to think about other moves that I haven't really checked out and look up their data.

Playing by instinct is a great way to start and then when there are some odds and ends then you can just look up specific data for those moments. I know guys like Justin don't really study frame data itself but they will find out if something is punishable/what the right punish is for specific situations/moves. You don't need to know the start up on Ryu's st hk for most situations but knowing how to punish it is great.

Look at someone like Nash with buttons that seem super great, but have their issues. Like his towards HP is punishable or his lk scythe etc.

Blah, don't you fucking hate it when you get into one of those really bad streaks? When shit is just off, your moves always whiff, you don't punish the stuff you normally should, you never guess on a tech correctly, you throw out an attack right at the second they just so happen to jump and you get hit with a 40% combo. It's just frustrating, not to mention having to deal with bad matches where the connection is just unstable enough that you get rollback at the most inopportune time. Has not been a good few days. On top of that, having to wait 5 minutes in between opponents to pop up online might be the worst aspect to playing this game. I just wanna fucking play, you know? Normally I would have locals to look forward to so I can play some really good players in constant 10 or more match set, match after match after match, but my TE2+ I got from Amazon came in defective and I had to send it back the next day, waiting another two weeks for a replacement. Really shitty week for SF. Looking forward to better days.

Just had to vent, sorry. In other news, I'm excited for SCR. Xyzzy is attending and I'm looking forward to more inspirational Birdie play! Maybe it'll get me out of that rut I've been having.
yea i know the feeling. I get anxiety if I play too much ranked. You're welcome to come to a set if you want...I'll be on for a little, Ken main...

Playing by instinct is a great way to start and then when there are some odds and ends then you can just look up specific data for those moments. I know guys like Justin don't really study frame data itself but they will find out if something is punishable/what the right punish is for specific situations/moves. You don't need to know the start up on Ryu's st hk for most situations but knowing how to punish it is great.

Look at someone like Nash with buttons that seem super great, but have their issues. Like his towards HP is punishable or his lk scythe etc.
vulva who's your main?

So I've mained Karin since launch, but tonight I let Birdie out of the training stage for the first time. I still have no idea what I'm doing with him but regardless he's so much fun. Just trying to move him around the stage like Karin is highly amusing.

FluxWaveZ

You could probably develop instinct better and enrich playtime with more information.

Oh, I agree. There's nothing wrong with acquiring more info. I was just saying that I'm the type of player who, if put at a crossroads between labbing it up or playing yet another match, it'll always be the latter for me. Not that I don't know how to use Training mode properly, and I do utilize it often.

Yeah, those odds and ends is where I'm at right now. And there are a ton of 'em.

GGs, Jozhear. A lot of back and forth matches. Speaking of the above, I actually just accidentally discovered that Vega's cr.HK xx V-Trigger has to be minus, because I could interrupt it with a 4-frame startup attack.

Vega makes me real nervous. Still don't have a proper answer for his diving command grab thing.

vulva

Oh, I agree. There's nothing wrong with acquiring more info. I was just saying that I'm the type of player who, if put at a crossroads between labbing it up or playing yet another match, it'll always be the latter for me. Not that I don't know how to use Training mode properly, and I do utilize it often.

Yeah, those odds and ends is where I'm at right now. And there are a ton of 'em.

GGs, Jozhear. A lot of back and forth matches. Speaking of the above, I actually just accidentally discovered that Vega's cr.HK xx V-Trigger has to be minus, because I could interrupt it with a 4-frame startup attack.

Vega makes me real nervous. Still don't have a proper answer for his diving command grab thing.
Ex barcelona for mika's answer: ◎ R Mika : cr.MP, early cr.HK (3rd hit whiff) > st.MP 6MP>4MP 6HP cr.MP

In the case of early cr hk, you will get hit but instead of 3 hits only 2 hit and you recover before he does. Basically you can punish on hit. I believe these will also anti air the grab too but I could be wrong.

lol GGs man...your Rashid is all over the place but you have to make sure your being defensive simultaneously if you want to play keep away. You should also get the life lead before you run, not at the start of the round.

Rashid had good frame traps. Abuse them in close range

Kashiwaba

lol GGs man...your Rashid is all over the place but you have to make sure your being defensive simultaneously if you want to play keep away. You should also get the life lead before you run, not at the start of the round.
Hmmm i tried my best here lol but your ken kept on closing on me i couldn't do much but thanks for the games :)

FluxWaveZ

Ex barcelona for mika's answer: ◎ R Mika : cr.MP, early cr.HK (3rd hit whiff) > st.MP 6MP>4MP 6HP cr.MP

In the case of early cr hk, you will get hit but instead of 3 hits only 2 hit and you recover before he does. Basically you can punish on hit. I believe these will also anti air the grab too but I could be wrong.

Does the comma in that sequence mean "or"? Like "do a cr.MP or [the other thing]"?

I feel like I've tried the cr.MP before, but the angle is all wonky so I either get hit by a cross-up or I get grabbed anyways. Perhaps it's my timing.

I have done cr.HK a few times before, though. That might be a right solution. Next time I go in Training mode, this'll be the first thing I experiment with. Thanks.

Welp, just lost my second match today because rollback happened while I was in the middle of a combo and the opponent was able to mash out a DP because they knew what was coming.

Brilliant.

It's weird; in both matches there was absolutely no lag at all until the critical moment. I'll take my L but it still bums me out.

FluxWaveZ

You jump backwards and kick him out of the air with mk. Otherwise just use crHP to roll out of the way.

You don't have time to jump backwards and j.MK when Vega's using it while you're waking up, especially not in the corner (where I'm up against it the most). Think that might be the same for cr.HP not being low profile enough.

You don't have time to jump backwards and j.MK when Vega's using it while you're waking up, especially not in the corner (where I'm up against it the most). Think that might be the same for cr.HP not being low profile enough.

On wakeup is hard if it's from a CC, otherwise you can just dash forward and he'll miss. Most vega's will go for the grab if you are in the corner. Just dash forward.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Welp, just lost my second match today because rollback happened while I was in the middle of a combo and the opponent was able to mash out a DP because they knew what was coming.

Brilliant.

It's weird; in both matches there was absolutely no lag at all until the critical moment. I'll take my L but it still bums me out.

Hey Scrafty wanna play some sets?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What was with that random lag spike? We're both wired, aren't we?!

EDIT: And now it's back to normal. Must've been something with the servers...

Great games! I would have been happy to do another set but I have to go help bathe an infant. I don't know why the lag was so bad. I've been having a lot of bad connections today so it might be on my end. My wife was using skype which might have interfered as well. Next time I bet it will be better.

That was some good Urienation. I would say maybe 1/10 Uriens I fight in casuals give me even the slightest trouble, so this was great practice!

mbpm1

I used to hate Karin's who swept all the time, but now I love them bc I have a punish.

It's just a great crutch to kick away from them

Great games! I would have been happy to do another set but I have to go help bathe an infant. I don't know why the lag was so bad. I've been having a lot of bad connections today so it might be on my end. My wife was using skype which might have interfered as well. Next time I bet it will be better.

That was some good Urienation. I would say maybe 1/10 Urien's I fight in casuals give me even the slightest trouble, so this was great practice!

Yeah, GGs! Your Ken frame traps are so on-point, and I think the only time you missed a super confirm during all of our games was when the lag spike messed up your timing. I always had to be careful that the next jab would lead into 300+ damage!

You also didn't let me bully you with Quarrel Kick and LP Headbutt which is great cuz it made me play smarter, haha. Lots of folks just sit there and take it so I'm accustomed to throwing them out willy-nilly.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
What was with that random lag spike? We're both wired, aren't we?!

EDIT: And now it's back to normal. Must've been something with the servers...
Servers have been weird lately. The entire last night i got laggy rollback matches and my PS4 is wired. I wonder if its my new nash skin...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, GGs! Your Ken frame traps are so on-point, and I think the only time you missed a super confirm during all of our games was when the lag spike messed up your timing. I always had to be careful that the next jab would lead into 300+ damage!

You also didn't let me bully you with Quarrel Kick and LP Headbutt which is great cuz it made me play smarter, haha. Lots of folks just sit there and take it so I'm accustomed to throwing them out willy-nilly.

I have one incredibly huge weakness in this game. You may have noticed that we were like 9 games into the set before I successfully tech'd a throw. Also I could have caught on to the wake up EX headbutt a lot sooner (or at all).

I look forward to playing again and I think the connection should be better next time.

I have one incredibly huge weakness in this game. You may have noticed that we were like 9 games into the set before I successfully tech'd a throw. Also I could have caught on to the wake up EX headbutt a lot sooner (or at all).

I look forward to playing again and I think the connection should be better next time.

Throw teching can be tricky, especially when playing online. You have to predict more than react oftentimes.

If I might make one suggestion, I'd recommend punishing with sHK more often. Sometimes I'd do something unsafe and you'd react with a target combo, but if you tagged a CC sHK onto the beginning you could get more damage for minimal extra effort.

What are some general Urien tips? I'm getting peed on in my matches, so I'm hitting a wall here. I recognize my AA game is fucking booty - I know I'm suppose to use f.mp and hk but the timing is super hard compared to DPing. I'm also bad at getting damage - almost all my shit comes from pokes and I feel like normal combos are dropping because a). I'm not charging right in the heat of the moment and b). I catch people on shit I didn't think would work and I end up farting around and just leaving damage off the table. I'm able to get some good things off an AR with basic setups, but man any time someone applies intense pressure like Nash and the like before that I get eaten alive.

So in short, how the fuck do you use charge characters with combos? And what other general things should I be doing/not doing?

mbpm1

What are some general Urien tips? I'm getting peed on in my matches, so I'm hitting a wall here. I recognize my AA game is fucking booty - I know I'm suppose to use f.mp and hk but the timing is super hard compared to DPing. I'm also bad at getting damage - almost all my shit comes from pokes and I feel like normal combos are dropping because a). I'm not charging right in the heat of the moment and b). I catch people on shit I didn't think would work and I end up farting around and just leaving damage off the table. I'm able to get some good things off an AR with basic setups, but man any time someone applies intense pressure like Nash and the like before that I get eaten alive.

So in short, how the fuck do you use charge characters with combos? And what other general things should I be doing/not doing?

If your used to DPing for AAs transitioning to one who needs normals can be tough. You basically have to recognize you're not going to be able to effectively switch offense and defense anywhere near as quickly so you have to watch and wait for AA timings.

There's also the fact that Urien's AAs are tbh, not great so you'll have to either be out of ranges where they would jump, dashing away from misplaced jumps, or just hitting them/rushing them down yourself.

If your used to DPing for AAs transitioning to one who needs normals can be tough. You basically have to recognize you're not going to be able to effectively switch offense and defense anywhere near as quickly so you have to watch and wait for AA timings.

There's also the fact that Urien's AAs are tbh, not great so you'll have to either be out of ranges where they would jump, dashing away from misplaced jumps, or just hitting them/rushing them down yourself.

I mained Nash (and for a little bit, Alex, Ryu, and Laura) for the longest so I'm used to just hitting a motion and getting them out of the air.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Throw teching can be tricky, especially when playing online. You have to predict more than react oftentimes.

If I might make one suggestion, I'd recommend punishing with sHK more often. Sometimes I'd do something unsafe and you'd react with a target combo, but if you tagged a CC sHK onto the beginning you could get more damage for minimal extra effort.

That's a good suggestion. Target combo has been my go-to due to its reliability, so now it's chiseled into my brain. I've just recently started practicing confirming sHK CC xx v-skill --> DP or v-skill --> medium tatsu --> EX DP or CA. I thought v-skill on reaction to HK CC must be some high level shit but it's actually pretty easy. I'll have to experiment with it as a punish. sHK is just so slow.

Also I guess that approach didn't even occur to me because I have zero knowledge of which Urien moves get CC'd on punish.

Top Bottom