• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

JayEH

These were made shortly after launch of course they're irrelevant now. We can start digging up old posts here about how Ryu, Ken, and chun are bad and that bison and dhalsim are top tier.

Skilletor

everyone has a high recovery where they can punish.

Not everybody has an invincible meterless reversal. Probably the distinction they're making, but they should list it for all of the characters that have one.

These were made shortly after launch of course they're irrelevant now. We can start digging up old posts here about how Ryu, Ken, and chun are bad and that bison and dhalsim are top tier.

Yeah, they're the equivalent of comic book cards that list strength/intelligence, etc.

Okay, I didn't get serious with SF until Super and Ultra.

Were tournaments during the SF4 days always this filled with upsets? I recall watching some players drop off during Super and the last days of SF4, but man these tournaments lately are making killers out of people I've never seen or heard of.

JayEH

Finally made gold. Had to earn that shit super hard.

So why exactly did the game force me to download the story dlc? I thought it's part of a mission, but it wasn't.

I hope they need the files for some reason*.

*ᵃʳᶜᵃᵈᵉ ᵐᵒᵈᵉ

just thought about this...maybe they're going to add all those stages that are part of story mode? there's a good number of them and I'm surprised they haven't been used yet.

Duress

I really feel like I don't play against a lot of variety of characters to learn matchups.

I should just write some short pointers down, I guess.

the stability of the netcode sucks after this update, just finish 2 hours of sets with a friend and 7 dropped matches lol... get your fucking act together Capcom..

Mr. X

Okay, I didn't get serious with SF until Super and Ultra.

Were tournaments during the SF4 days always this filled with upsets? I recall watching some players drop off during Super and the last days of SF4, but man these tournaments lately are making killers out of people I've never seen or heard of.

Game is still new, people still holding on to the top players from last game and early tourneys. Everyone is still growing and learning so these upsets are "popular player loses to less popular player".

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
just thought about this...maybe they're going to add all those stages that are part of story mode? there's a good number of them and I'm surprised they haven't been used yet.
Well they really should use that stuff. They could do great things with all those stages and characters.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Looks like Sim has more cons than pros.
They just didn't feel comfortable adding "makes your opponent really mad" and "has dope beard" to the pros.

Man, gears 4 esports dlc pack is absolutely horrible, makes the CPT stuff look saintly.
I wonder why there isn't a thread about it...
If I had to guess it's because Gears has a lot of modes and content right out of the box.

How do you deal with Urien's overhead nonsense? Should I just be blocking it on reaction, or always blocking high after the first hit in his string?

Although pro players seemed to say Urien was bad, watching many of their replays they frequently get hit by this overhead which leads to huge damage. I watched Daigo lose to a Urien yesterday because he got hit by the frametrap overhead two or three times in a row.

How do you deal with Urien's overhead nonsense? Should I just be blocking it on reaction, or always blocking high after the first hit in his string?

Although pro players seemed to say Urien was bad, watching many of their replays they frequently get hit by this overhead which leads to huge damage. I watched Daigo lose to a Urien yesterday because he got hit by the frametrap overhead two or three times in a row.

I knew Urien was good after 3 days.His long range normal and his EX Headbutt makes him a real threat. It's a tough MU for Nash.His F.MP is unsafe on block if they go for a Cr.MK as a mix up. The Overhead Target Combo itself is unsafe on block.

FireSol

welp...didnt played SF5 on pc for a month and now it runs even worse than ever before, constant drops to low 40 fps...its seems its time to move to the ps4 version

Baleoce

Was wondering if I could get an explanation on something. I'm watching the grand final match of Daigo (Ryu) vs. Phenom (Necalli) at this Milan tournament, and whenever Daigo does a heavy tatsu cross up, he never goes for the axe kick on Necallis wakeup. I was wondering why this wasn't an option, but the only explanation I got was "neutral frames", which I'm not really sure in this context what it means.

Can anyone expand upon that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What's good about the EX heabutt? That might be the worst invincible reversal in the game. Only good thing about it is the quick recovery on whiff.
What is crazy about Urien is how he can fish for CC with so much range and then easily dash in for a huge combo. 60% gone if he has CA ready.

kirblar

Was wondering if I could get an explanation on something. I'm watching the grand final match of Daigo (Ryu) vs. Phenom (Necalli) at this Milan tournament, and whenever Daigo does a heavy tatsu cross up, he never goes for the axe kick on Necallis wakeup. I was wondering why this wasn't an option, but the only explanation I got was "neutral frames", which I'm not really sure in this context what it means.

Can anyone expand upon that?
It likely means that he's going to get beat by a lot of stuff if he tries it because he doesn't have enough time after recovering from the tatsu to make it a true meaty.

What's good about the EX heabutt? That might be the worst invincible reversal in the game. Only good thing about it is the quick recovery on whiff.

It has a huge amount of active frames after a bit of a laggy startup, and because you can reset the opponent with Quarrel Punch upon a successful hit it can lead into some pretty gnarly mixups (especially if you have Aegis stocked).

It also benefits from V-Skill enhancement, which gives it insane range and the ability to make it relatively safe on block if spaced correctly.

Any Birdie players able to help with a question? I'm trying out some combos in training and the one I'm struggling with is: HK, CR MP, LIGHT BULLHEAD, CA.

Any other combo with light bullhead in critical art I can hit fine and consistently, but for some reason this one rarely comes out. I've tried speeding up and delaying, but nothing seems to be making a difference.

Nevermind, think I got it. My directions must be getting sloppy. =/

Any Birdie players able to help with a question? I'm trying out some combos in training and the one I'm struggling with is: HK, CR MP, LIGHT BULLHEAD, CA.

Any other combo with light bullhead in critical art I can hit fine and consistently, but for some reason this one rarely comes out. I've tried speeding up and delaying, but nothing seems to be making a difference.

Why not just cancel crMP into MP Bull Horn and then that into CA? Seems like it'd be a lot easier and do more damage.

Was there any reason in particular why you wanted to use LP instead of MP horn?

First of all, do medium bullhead instead of light as the medium one does combo off of cr.mp.

Secondly, the problem with that setup is that you have to be as close as possible. If there's even a slight bit of distance then the likelihood of it whiffing increases extensively.

I've seen a set up off of a crossup j.mp (counter hit) but it's risky and rare.

A safer alternative is st.hk xx st.lp (or st.lk) xx light bullhorn xx CA. Not the most damaging option but there's more leniency in regards to distance.
Why not just cancel crMP into MP Bull Horn and then that into CA? Seems like it'd be a lot easier and possibly even do more damage (not sure about Birdie's precise numbers but MP horn does a pretty good chunk of damage).

Was there any reason in particular why you wanted to use Bullhead instead of horn?
There is no "MP" bull horn. It's either bull horn or EX bull horn, the same move comes out regardless of the button held. And I'm assuming he doesn't want to have to risk holding down the button which is perfectly reasonable since Medium bullhead gets the job done perfectly.

EDIT: I didn't understand your post correctly lol. Bullhead is the qcf+p move, bullhorn is the hold down button, projectile invincible move.

Pompadour

It has a huge amount of active frames after a bit of a laggy startup, and because you can reset the opponent with Quarrel Punch upon a successful hit it can lead into some pretty gnarly mixups (especially if you have Aegis stocked).

It also benefits from V-Skill enhancement, which gives it insane range and the ability to make it relatively safe on block if spaced correctly.

So it's confirmed his V-Skill does more than add armor?

I've started switching from light bullhead to medium - I was having issues getting medium to combo initially, like the startup was slower. Got it now though.

I don't really have a use for the combo above, just going through some tutorial videos and that one came up. The S HK is probably not needed. Thank tho.

Does anyone have any tips for knowing when to keep a Bull Horn charged? It's difficult to judge when it would be required. It's a odd tech I haven't quite got my head (fingers) round yet.

There is no "MP" bull horn. It's either bull horn or EX bull horn, the same move comes out regardless of the button held. And I'm assuming he doesn't want to have to risk holding down the button which is perfectly reasonable since Medium bullhead gets the job done perfectly.

EDIT: I didn't understand your post correctly lol. Bullhead is the qcf+p move, bullhorn is the hold down button, projectile invincible move.

See, that's what I get for trying to talk Birdie without looking up his move names first.

EVERYTHING WAS BULLS

So it's confirmed his V-Skill does more than add armor?

Yep, V-Skill gives many of his moves new properties. For example, you can juggle the opponent after both hits of crHP with V-Skill-enhanced EX headbutt, but not with normal EX headbutt.

I've started switching from light bullhead to medium - I was having issues getting medium to combo initially, like the startup was slower. Got it now though.

I don't really have a use for the combo above, just going through some tutorial videos and that one came up. The S HK is probably not needed. Thank tho.

Does anyone have any tips for knowing when to keep a Bull Horn charged? It's difficult to judge when it would be required. It's a odd tech I haven't quite got my head (fingers) round yet.
I personally hold down bullhorn for when I need to be getting past projectiles, and for that I usually hold st.hk as it's the most convenient button on a DS4 and not one that I realistically need until I'm right in their face.

The charge for it is actually not that long, just needs a bit of practice. Remember that Bullhorn is a decent AA but it's best property is by far the fact that it's projectile invincible so you can hit the Ryu straight in the face if he tries to throw a fireball when you're very close.

Other than that, it's good to keep it held when you're doing a jump in. You can even do a j.hk xx cr.hp xx bullhorn. Just do the j.hk and keep the button held then let go after the cr.hp
See, that's what I get for trying to talk Birdie without looking up his move names first.

EVERYTHING WAS BULLS
And yet Balrog's the most notable "Bull" in the game. Smh.

I knew Urien was good after 3 days.His long range normal and his EX Headbutt makes him a real threat. It's a tough MU for Nash.His F.MP is unsafe on block if they go for a Cr.MK as a mix up. The Overhead Target Combo itself is unsafe on block.

Yeah I know it's unsafe on block but it's just hard to react to, and it's a pretty worthwhile risk for him if he thinks it will land since it can go into v-trigger then into anything he likes. Whereas even if I do block and punish him, as Rashid the damage isn't going to be huge.

Skilletor

Yeah I know it's unsafe on block but it's just hard to react to, and it's a pretty worthwhile risk for him if he thinks it will land since it can go into v-trigger then into anything he likes. Whereas even if I do block and punish him, as Rashid the damage isn't going to be huge.

I think it's just that he's a new character and people aren't sure how to fight or punish him yet. It's a learning curve. Alucard bodied Daigo a month ago, forget which tourney, because Daigo wasn't punishing any rush punches. You'd have thought Balrog was broken going by that match.

I think I should stop playing FANG. I play way too honest a game of street fighter to take advantage of the insane mixups this guy can do from the right setups.

I think I should stop playing FANG. I play way too honest a game of street fighter to take advantage of the insane mixups this guy can do from the right setups.

come home, friend

umHuXI.gif

Top Bottom