• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Ryce

They’ll probably show Juri’s trailer and Cammy, Laura, and Ibuki’s swimsuits at the Comic-Con panel. I’d guess July 29 as the release date. That’s two weeks after the CPT content, which released two weeks after Ibuki and Balrog.

tumblr_oaix7craG81usrgjso1_400.gif

Neoxon

So Juri trailer is likely. Maybe a release date.
That's my guess as well. They'll probably say "Hey, Juri's out next week!" after the trailer is shown.

They’ll probably show Juri’s trailer and Cammy, Laura, and Ibuki’s swimsuits at the Comic-Con panel. I’d guess July 29 as the release date. That’s two weeks after the CPT content, which released two weeks after Ibuki and Balrog.
This, too.

Ketch

I really don't understand why people are defending the season pass.

The game is great, nobody is saying it's not, but the wrapper around it and the way capcom has handle pretty much everything has been mediocre to down right bad in a lot of cases.

Being confused that the "Season Pass" doesn't get you all of the DLC is a legitimate gripe, because that's what season passes are understood to be. No matter what game it's for a season pass shouldn't be called a season pass if it doesn't include all the DLC. Companies do this kind of shit on purpose to confuse people (it's like saying titan fall 1 had a single player campaign), buyer beware is a good response, but don't try to defend a company for being purposefully disingenuous.

Just because capcom is incapable of doing anything logical, doesn't mean that people can't be annoyed or complain that the stuff they do doesn't make sense. Defending the "season pass" is like defending survival mode as a legitimate versus CPU option. Capcom should call it what it is: a character bundle, so customers don't have to read the fine print to keep the wool from being pulled over their eyes. It's fuckin snake oil salesman bullshit.

Neoxon

The game is great, nobody is saying it's not, but the wrapper around it and the way capcom has handle pretty much everything has been mediocre to down right bad in a lot of cases.

Being confused that the "Season Pass" doesn't get you all of the DLC is a legitimate gripe, because that's what season passes are understood to be. No matter what game it's for a season pass shouldn't be called a season pass if it doesn't include all the DLC. Companies do this kind of shit on purpose to confuse people (it's like saying titan fall 1 had a single player campaign), buyer beware is a good response, but don't try to defend a company for being purposefully disingenuous.

Just because capcom is incapable of doing anything logical, doesn't mean that people can't be annoyed or complain that the stuff they do doesn't make sense. Defending the "season pass" is like defending survival mode as a legitimate versus CPU option.
My only real gripe is the naming of the Season Pass. It's otherwise priced fairly considering what you get with it, & they were explicitly clear about what was included in the pass (they even threw in an extra stage later on).

I guess because of being a 3D artist, the first thing I notice here, and really appreciate, is how she puts her heel down after the apex of the kick, and her kicking leg itself is shaking from the impact.
These animations are so great man.

but don't try to defend a company for being purposefully disingenuous.

Capcom should call it what it is: a character bundle, so customers don't have to read the fine print to keep the wool from being pulled over their eyes. It's fuckin snake oil salesman bullshit.

Disingenuous? They never obfuscated what the season pass was about, when they announced it they were extremely clear about what was in it.

And fine print? really? The season pass has a single line of description, 1 line, you don't have to go digging around to find what the contents actually are, it's right there, up front.

Ketch

Disingenuous? They never obfuscated what the season pass was about, when they announced it they were extremely clear about what was in it.

And fine print? really? The season pass has a single line of description, 1 line, you don't have to go digging around to find what the contents actually are, it's right there, up front.

Dude, it doesn't matter. Season pass is synonymous with: Includes all DLC up to a specific time. People at Capcom must know this or they're dumb. It would be like selling a DVD box set title "Game of Thrones Season 1: Only includes episodes 1, 4-6, and 8", yea it's pretty dumb to buy that and then be mad that it doesn't include every episode... but at the same, you wouldn't defend the title of that box set would you?

Dude, it doesn't matter. Season pass is synonymous with: Includes all DLC up to a specific time. People at Capcom must know this or they're dumb. It would be like selling a DVD box set title "Game of Thrones Season 1: Only includes episodes 1, 4-6, and 8", yea it's pretty dumb to buy that and then be mad that it doesn't include every episode... but at the same, you wouldn't defend the title of that box set would you?

There are plenty of games that have content outside of the season pass, it's not as synonymous as you are implying.
And your tv show comparison is just dumb, c'mon now.

Therefore I have no faults, correct?

I'm definitely not one to be giving advice, but some things I noticed:

(1) You really like to jump in -- not sure which button that is, but there's a jumping kick you use a LOT. I think things started turning around for you once you started varying your approach and finding ways to get in on the ground as well.

(2) I didn't see a lot of anti-air, but in match 2, the Ken did quite a few jump ins. If Karin has a good anti-air, learning to use that and react to the jump-ins could help swing things in your favor more easily.

lol sdcc big announcement gonna be umvc3 coming to ps4. dream isn't dead

If they did that, hopefully a PC port would come with it.
And maybe, just maybe a few more characters. I still want Nero in the game. :\

But with the way Disney is doing licensing for Marvel these days, that seems rather unlikely.
Especially after that stuff I read about shying away from certain X-Men usage because of current license agreements.

do you have a video of this

Didn't recognize you there for a minute...
Does this count?

https://youtu.be/3nZvZn76lnk

Big Brett

I'm definitely not one to be giving advice, but some things I noticed:

(1) You really like to jump in -- not sure which button that is, but there's a jumping kick you use a LOT. I think things started turning around for you once you started varying your approach and finding ways to get in on the ground as well.

(2) I didn't see a lot of anti-air, but in match 2, the Ken did quite a few jump ins. If Karin has a good anti-air, learning to use that and react to the jump-ins could help swing things in your favor more easily.

Thank you! Yeah, I noticed watching back I used jumping mk a ton. Need to tone it back, and work on variations. Karin's anti-air game is pretty butt as it is, but I need to do something about it. Thanks!

Xeteh

I still hate how bloody random Survival is. I'm not even talking about the supplements, just the AI behavior. Any of the characters beyond round 25 on normal can randomly decide "LOL fuck you" and just block/counter/anti-air everything. I'm not good enough to be consistent with it, it is infuriating.

I really hope so, can't wait to play Juri for real.

Just because capcom is incapable of doing anything logical, doesn't mean that people can't be annoyed or complain that the stuff they do doesn't make sense. Defending the "season pass" is like defending survival mode as a legitimate versus CPU option. Capcom should call it what it is: a character bundle, so customers don't have to read the fine print to keep the wool from being pulled over their eyes. It's fuckin snake oil salesman bullshit.

You're mad because you have an idea of what the season pass should be, not because they fucked up. They aren't even the only ones who do it. Go look at MKX, they sold a season pass that came with characters and some costumes and then sold separate costume packs that weren't included. The season pass description straight up tells you exactly what you're going to get, being pissy because you expected more is insane.

Its $30 for like... $64 of content. And before you say "ITS OVERPRICED SO THATS NOT A GOOD DEAL" you're right, it is overpriced but it is what it is. Whining because the name hits you the wrong way is just silly. The "fine print" (lol) is what is called a description, its not like they hid it away.

I still hate how bloody random Survival is. I'm not even talking about the supplements, just the AI behavior. Any of the characters beyond round 25 on normal can randomly decide "LOL fuck you" and just block/counter/anti-air everything. I'm not good enough to be consistent with it, it is infuriating.

When they are crouching or standing still, it's generally best not to do anything that has a long startup.
But when they are moving forward they are pretty much in "you can hit me with whatever you want now" mode.

That's pretty much how I beat survival consistently, just let them walk into buttons.

Ketch

Anybody want to critique a set of mine? I'm Karin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SoqRKAF5bE

I am brand new to the game and also very bad (super bronze), so take this with a grain of salt. But I think if you post a game you lost you'll learn a lot more from the critique. I think you only lost two rounds, and the first one you lost was the worst one for you and I think the problem you had in that round is a problem that I'm currently having a lot of trouble with... and that's what to do after you get knocked down. It got better over the course of the set, but that first round was real bad... and if he hadn't slowed down his game in subsequent rounds you probably would have lost the whole set.

The guy that I play with a lot explained it to me like this: what you should really want to do is just get back to neutral. You don't need to punish him or even beat him while you're waking up, just get back to neutral.

I don't know if that's good advice, but I think it makes sense. Think about it like when you're stuck in the corner, generally you're not thinking how am I gonna hit this guy? You're just trying to get out of the corner without taking a bunch of damage.

You're clearly winning in the neutral, so on wake up maybe just focus on getting back to neutral without taking a bunch of damage? You're at a disadvantage when you're knocked down, it's supposed to be hard to go directly into having an advantage again, so just back to neutral first and then continue winning.

Xeteh

When they are crouching or standing still, it's generally best not to do anything that has a long startup.
But when they are moving forward they are pretty much in "you can hit me with whatever you want now" mode.

That's pretty much how I beat survival consistently, just let them walk into buttons.

Using Gief as an example, sometimes on Round 27 he's braindead and just walks forward and never reacts to anything. Earlier, I lost to him because he kept doing the flying knee over my sweeps and hitting me with SPD. Its infuriating.

Big Brett

I am brand new to the game and also very bad (super bronze), so take this with a grain of salt. But I think if you post a game you lost you'll learn a lot more from the critique. I think you only lost two rounds, and the first one you lost was the worst one for you and I think the problem you had in that round is a problem that I'm currently having a lot of trouble with... and that's what to do after you get knocked down. It got better over the course of the set, but that first round was real bad... and if he hadn't slowed down his game in subsequent rounds you probably would have lost the whole set.

The guy that I play with a lot explained it to me like this: what you should really want to do is just get back to neutral. You don't need to punish him or even beat him while you're waking up, just get back to neutral.

I don't know if that's good advice, but I think it makes sense. Think about it like when you're stuck in the corner, generally you're not thinking how am I gonna hit this guy? You're just trying to get out of the corner without taking a bunch of damage.

You're clearly winning in the neutral, so on wake up maybe just focus on getting back to neutral without taking a bunch of damage? You're at a disadvantage when you're knocked down, it's supposed to be hard to go directly into having an advantage again, so just back to neutral first and then continue winning.

I panic a lot on knockdown but I feel pretty comfortable in neutral, so this is good advice. I tend to mash a lot when I wake up I was noticing today. Next goal :D

Steroyd

The "Season" pass you've attributed as a standard doesn't exist, Naughty Dog launched a season passes for their games and it only covers maps and single player content and I'm sure there are many other examples of with lots of other games.

GOTY re-releases of games however, fit what your perception of season passes are supposed to be more aptly.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody want to critique a set of mine? I'm Karin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SoqRKAF5bE
- Don't jump at Ken so much, a better one would DP you all the time.
- You do cr.mk as a close-up pressure button, but that's -4 on block. A better sequence is cr.mp into st.mp (or cr.mk) to hit confirm into a full combo. Or do st.lk (+3) or cr.mp (+2) and go for a throw or another button afterwards to maybe get a counter-hit.
- Raw Ressenha is super punishable, but you probably know that
- You're not really abusing Karin's biggest strength: her neutral game! Do more st.hk, st.mk, charged V-Skill (I don't think you did any but it's especially good against Ken), Orochis (especially after st.hp which you hit often) and cr.mk xx qcb.hk at footsie range if you're good enough for that.
- Anti-air Ken's air tatsu with st.lp, st.hp, cr.hp or EX Ressenha depending on the ranges
- Punish random DPs at longer ranges with a CC st.hk into non-charged V-Skill or CC st.hk into V-Trigger activation and a full combo
- Too much of your forward movement is jumping, use more dashing and walk+block
- Raw EX Orochi is very punishable on block (-7)
- The last match you could've won with a CA earlier in the corner.

No music?
I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I think I mentioned before on one of your streams that you are getting jumped in for free, which is ofcourse pretty hard to deal with as karin, so if you can't deal with it on time, I suggest to just v-reversal the jump in, especially against ken.

Also you like to jump in even though you're not getting a crossup, which is very dangerous against a shoto, karin is so strong on the ground, just move in and out of range, with the furthest out you go being her stMK range.

Using Gief as an example, sometimes on Round 27 he's braindead and just walks forward and never reacts to anything. Earlier, I lost to him because he kept doing the flying knee over my sweeps and hitting me with SPD. Its infuriating.

With gief I just go in hard, if you stand still for too long he will spd you 100% of the time, it's better to jump back and eat a hit than to eat an spd.
I go in hard, keep pressing buttons until I'm out of range and then back off to try again.

molnizzle

Getting really frustrated with execution. Been trying to learn Karin but more than half the time the thing I'm trying to do doesn't come out. Extremely frustrating to know how to handle a situation but something else happens on screen.

Are there any characters with a lower execution barrier to play well?

Getting really frustrated with execution. Been trying to learn Karin but more than half the time the thing I'm trying to do doesn't come out. Extremely frustrating to know how to handle a situation but something else happens on screen.

Birdie is the lowest execution barrier character in the game, His hardest combo has like 4 moves.

He also hits like a truck.

Ryu is fairly straight forward but still requires some basic execution.

Xeteh

Compared to Karin? Most characters. She's really hard to play effectively.

Ryu, Birdie, Necalli, Cammy all have easier execution. I've mostly bounced off of Cammy because while her stuff is easy she doesn't allow for many mistakes.

Birdie is the lowest execution barrier character in the game, His hardest combo has like 4 moves.

He also hits like a truck.

Ryu is fairly straight forward but still requires some basic execution.

I keep thinking about playing Birdie a bit more but it feels like going to the dark side, like my soul will never be saved.

Mika has reasonably easy execution, at least imo. I think to be a great Mika probably takes very good execution but if you're just starting out and want to get a feel for links and such I feel like she's good. There are some really easy Nadeshiko combos which are quite generous on timing.

You're mad because you have an idea of what the season pass should be, not because they fucked up. They aren't even the only ones who do it. Go look at MKX, they sold a season pass that came with characters and some costumes and then sold separate costume packs that weren't included. The season pass description straight up tells you exactly what you're going to get, being pissy because you expected more is insane.

Using the term "Season Pass" implies that all content for the game or at least the "current season" is going to be included. Your MKX example doesn't really fly because they didn't market it as a Season Pass -- it was the "Kombat Pack" -- and even then, it gave you most of the DLC for the game; when "Kombat Pack 2" released for PS4 (another company that hates it's PC customers, even more than Capcpom seems to with this exclusive CPT DLC), it included everything that wasn't in Kombat Pack 1, outside of that strange Brazil DLC pack they made.

Do I think it's as nefarious as Ketch points out... maybe not. But it's definitely a poor choice due to the implications of what a Season Pass usually contains. Yes it's on the buyer to know what they're purchasing, but as we time and time again, most people can't be bothered to google something before asking; doing your own research is hard apparently.

Compared to Karin? Most characters. She's really hard to play effectively.

Ryu, Birdie, Necalli, Cammy all have easier execution. I've mostly bounced off of Cammy because while her stuff is easy she doesn't allow for many mistakes.

I keep thinking about playing Birdie a bit more but it feels like going to the dark side, like my soul will never be saved.

I've been considering a character change since Ken always felt like this version of him wasn't clicking for me... I've been hoping the DLC characters would do something as most of the main cast didn't really resonate with me. I'd switched to Ryu to get the "better" shoto, but always felt dirty afterwards. I've been kicking around the idea of trying out Necalli, Laura, or Mika, but I can't make a decision at this point... I've never really understood the whole command throw "game" within fighters and generally stay away from characters that rely on them. Laura at least has a fireball but I'm really not sure which way to try first.

I'll probably hold off til Juri is released to see if I can get her to click for me like she did in SFxT, but I don't think that's going to happen based on the limited exposure I got to her redesign during the story mode.

I was waiting for Evo's results to see if it gave us a clearer statement on the state of the games balance.

6 Chun Li's, 6 Necalli's, 3 Nash, 3 Mika's dominated top 32.

1 Ryu, 2 Kens, 2 Rashid's, 2 Vegas, 2 Karin's, 1 Cammy 1 Dhalsim, 2 Gief.
1 fang.

Alex, Guile, Birdy, Laura and Bison didn't make top 32. Ibuki and Balrog weren't eligible.

With four characters representing over 56% of the participation in top 32, I wonder if this will prompt future balance updates to bring more of the cast in line? We aren't seeing character's like Laura perform at all, which is interesting considering a Laura player won the first Capcom major - I suppose people hadn't learnt the matchup at the time.

It will be interesting to see how other characters perform in the future but at the moment it seems that selecting Necalli or Chun is a strong predictor of how well you will perform. It's interesting that Nash, while dominating top 8, did not feature as frequently.

I think characters like Rashid surprised people, but I also think characters like Necalli and Chun are Rashid's worst matchups. That makes top 32 very tough if many of your games are 6:4.

Marvel

could never
Using V-Trigger while your opponent does a jump in or whatever giving you enough time to stop time and DP for the win is amazing.

Lol, feels like a hack.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I was waiting for Evo's results to see if it gave us a clearer statement on the state of the games balance.

6 Chun Li's, 6 Necalli's, 3 Nash, 3 Mika's dominated top 32.

1 Ryu, 2 Kens, 2 Rashid's, 2 Vegas, 2 Karin's, 1 Cammy 1 Dhalsim, 2 Gief.
1 fang.

Alex, Guile, Birdy, Laura and Bison didn't make top 32. Ibuki and Balrog weren't eligible.

With four characters representing over 56% of the participation in top 32, I wonder if this will prompt future balance updates to bring more of the cast in line? We aren't seeing character's like Laura perform at all, which is interesting considering a Laura player won the first Capcom major - I suppose people hadn't learnt the matchup at the time.

It will be interesting to see how other characters perform in the future but at the moment it seems that selecting Necalli or Chun is a strong predictor of how well you will perform. It's interesting that Nash, while dominating top 8, did not feature as frequently.

I think characters like Rashid surprised people, but I also think characters like Necalli and Chun are Rashid's worst matchups. That makes top 32 very tough if many of your games are 6:4.
Ibuki and Balrog were eligible. PR Balrog barely missed top 32 with him.
But yeah, basically no DLC character can hang with the rest of the cast so far.

Top Bottom