• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

I think Ibuki could be saved if you shifted her V-Trigger to 2 bars instead of three. She has no life and a bad v-skill so she still won't get two a round.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210469329]I think Ibuki could be saved if you shifted her V-Trigger to 2 bars instead of three. She has no life and a bad v-skill so she still won't get two a round.[/QUOTE]
How much would giving her kicks back help her neutral?

How much would giving her kicks back help her neutral?

The kicks were never really all that important for neutral, it was just an easy block string. I'm actually fine with her current moveset, spin kicks and the slide were more 3s fluff that they gave every character than something crucial to her gameplan.

I do think her bMK fom 4 would be nice to have back. Just a nice footsie normal. She relies too much on fHK right now and its super predictable.

That or making her kunai charge safer/charge kunai cost less. Kunai are the best projectiles in the game so I understand why they made it a meter, but they're also fundamental to her neutral. I think the point was to decide whether to sacrifice pressure for tools after a hit, but kunai charge is a little too punishable for that to be a real decision.

Even Sako said her kunai are amazing but she doesn't really have anything else going for her.

Asd202

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210469329]I think Ibuki could be saved if you shifted her V-Trigger to 2 bars instead of three. She has no life and a bad v-skill so she still won't get two a round.[/QUOTE]

Would you say that Ibuki is too V-Trigger dependant? If that the case maybe buffing her normals would be better?

Ketch

So is there no way to message a random who you just played against in online?

I just lost a guile mirror match with a double KO in the last round and I wanted to tell the dude GG but couldn't figure out how to send a message.

Zackat

I just lost a guile mirror match with a double KO in the last round and I wanted to tell the dude GG but couldn't figure out how to send a message.

yep it's a pain unless you are on ps4 and they are on ps4.

It should automatically give you a notification when it's logging into the server, something like "Title update needs to be downloaded"

Then you'll be thrown in-game and in the top of the main menu there'll be a progress bar showing how much is downloaded.

You can't use any online features while it's being downloaded but you can play offline. It'll also give a notification in-game once every 10% of it is downloaded.

I think it's around 200-300 MB. 500 MB is the absolute MAXIMUM.

Okay, that shouldn't take long to download.

Thanks again.

If they're on the opposite platform, there's no real cross messaging.

Steam should have a "recent players" list in the overlay, but I'm not sure if it populates with people you've fought against in SFV or not. That'd be the best place to check if you're on PC, I'd guess.

qcf x2

I probably won't. I enjoy the faster/agile characters so I keep playing the ones with lower health but my execution isn't sharp enough for it. My execution has gotten better but I'm still making plenty of mistakes.

I should also add that a lot of my "hate" for Birdie is me being silly. I don't actually hate any characters.

Love the Mika

I was waiting for Evo's results to see if it gave us a clearer statement on the state of the games balance.

6 Chun Li's, 6 Necalli's, 3 Nash, 3 Mika's dominated top 32.

1 Ryu, 2 Kens, 2 Rashid's, 2 Vegas, 2 Karin's, 1 Cammy 1 Dhalsim, 2 Gief.
1 fang.

Alex, Guile, Birdy, Laura and Bison didn't make top 32. Ibuki and Balrog weren't eligible.

With four characters representing over 56% of the participation in top 32, I wonder if this will prompt future balance updates to bring more of the cast in line? We aren't seeing character's like Laura perform at all, which is interesting considering a Laura player won the first Capcom major - I suppose people hadn't learnt the matchup at the time.

It will be interesting to see how other characters perform in the future but at the moment it seems that selecting Necalli or Chun is a strong predictor of how well you will perform. It's interesting that Nash, while dominating top 8, did not feature as frequently.

I think characters like Rashid surprised people, but I also think characters like Necalli and Chun are Rashid's worst matchups. That makes top 32 very tough if many of your games are 6:4.
Starting to feel like we can definitely see the lower half of the cast tier-wise once you add FANG and Gief to the list. Guile is pretty crap, though. I considered buying the season pass for the DLC characters, but I already felt some buyer's remorse over lackluster Alex. Capcom gotta give people some surprises with strong DLC characters next year. SFV definitely needed some slight DLC shakeups before EVO this year and it didn't get them. The only surprise in all of this was the lack of Ryus. I expected at least three to four strong Ryus in top 16.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So I just met one of those afk people that turn turbo on and spam st.lk to gain XP in casual. It was a Chun and I think I just found out that Karin's jumping HK beats it clean if you do it early, holy shit. Thank you random cheater!

I'm all for buffing all the characters in some way, except for Necalli. That guy needs to have his permanent v-trigger removed. Practically, almost everyone on the cast get's their moves enhanced by a v-trigger mode, what makes Necalli so special that he get's to keep it for the entire round? So he has stubby normals, so does Laura..

Also, nerf the braindead anti-air jab, no one *especially* Ryu or Necalli need to keep this.

Looking for advice:

Balrog vs. Ken match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHobu0v8FcM

I picked this set since I think it's a pretty good display of the extent of all my skills, from footsies to defense and all that. Still having some trouble, though, so I'd appreciate some tips.

Only watched the first game cause I'm watching something else, and I don't know too much about balrog, but some general points.

You missed a couple of confirms which seem what lost you the first round, don't die with vtrigger available, would've been best to just confirm that low target combo into vtrigger so you could at least get a knockdown mixup going.

3rd round you did a target combo which is unsafe on block, but you had full meter, best to just make that safe with...ex low punch? You ate a pretty good damage combo after that, got corner carried and had to deal with ken's mixup.

I'm all for buffing all the characters in some way, except for Necalli. That guy needs to have his permanent v-trigger removed. Practically, almost everyone on the cast get's their moves enhanced by a v-trigger mode, what makes Necalli so special that he get's to keep it for the entire round? So he has stubby normals, so does Laura..

Also, nerf the braindead anti-air jab, no one *especially* Ryu or Necalli need to keep this.

I think characters with a DP needs to lose the anti-air jabs, you shouldn't have AA jabs when you already have a move to handle jumpy players

Shadoken

My biggest griped with AA Jab is the speed. When you jump in on someone expecting them to whiff a poke and THEY DO. Yet they recover in time to do their 3f AA , which leads to a mixup. COME THE FUCK ON man :/

I feel like some characters are impossible to jump on , while others have good AA but are still scared to do it because a jump in would lead to ridiculous swing in momentum. I have never seen AA Jab lose , only trade at worst.

FluxWaveZ

You missed a couple of confirms which seem what lost you the first round, don't die with vtrigger available, would've been best to just confirm that low target combo into vtrigger so you could at least get a knockdown mixup going.

3rd round you did a target combo which is unsafe on block, but you had full meter, best to just make that safe with...ex low punch? You ate a pretty good damage combo after that, got corner carried and had to deal with ken's mixup.

Thanks. Not confirming is one of my issues, yeah. Particularly with stray cr.MP hits that I should really convert into dash punches more often. Not dying with V-Trigger is something I try to do, as well, but sometimes I spend so much trigger in V-Reversals and by the time it'll be full, I'll be near death and freak out instead.

Cancelling blocked TCs into V-Trigger is something I should do to make them safe, too, but I feel very lost when Balrog's V-Trigger is activated and it wasn't during an actual combo. I automatically try to search for the best time to use an EX Dash Grand Blow for the combo, but that's too predictable and risky.

I spend so much time in the corner with Balrog. Maybe I should back up less.

I spend so much time in the corner with Balrog. Maybe I should back up less.

It's tough, especially against ken, and when you play a charge character you kinda feel like you want to keep your charge at all times, which keeps you rooted/moving backwards; even more so because rog doesn't have a crossup.

Sometimes I like to play a charge character by charging only when I know I can combo into whatever I'm charging, which keeps you light on your feet.

I think characters with a DP needs to lose the anti-air jabs, you shouldn't have AA jabs when you already have a move to handle jumpy players
This a good compromise. Characters without an invul DP have a lower risk AA option while characters with meterless invul DPs lose jab AAs they didn't even need in the first place. The only difficult thing would be deciding whether or not to leave AA jabs on characters that need meter for invulnerable DPs. I personally don't think it would lead to balance wrecking Karin and Ibuki dominance, so it's worth a try.

Capcpom won't do it, though.

Would you say that Ibuki is too V-Trigger dependant? If that the case maybe buffing her normals would be better?

Yes, but I also think it's intentional. They designed her to be super explosive. I just think that her character design is at odds with her toolset which is what causes the issue. She's basically a character that's forced to make 80% comebacks every round to win.

Her normals are actually not that bad. cMP, sFP and 6HK are all fine pokes, she just doesn't do a whole lot with it until she gets v-meter. Reducing her v-stocks would let her execute her explosive gameplan more consistently.

Or they could just buff her v-skill and make it special-cancelable or something. It's pretty bad right now. I think V-skills in general are shockingly weak in this game for something that's such a central mechanic. Look how strong parries or focus attacks are. V skills see barely any use in comparison.

Sheroking

This a good compromise. Characters without an invul DP have a lower risk AA option while characters with meterless invul DPs lose jab AAs they didn't even need in the first place. The only difficult thing would be deciding whether or not to leave AA jabs on characters that need meter for invulnerable DPs. I personally don't think it would lead to balance wrecking Karin and Ibuki dominance, so it's worth a try.

Capcpom won't do it, though.

Most of the jab anti-airs in the game were never designed to be anti-airs. Capcom's awful hitboxes are responsible for characters like Ryu and Necalli swiping people out of the air with them.

The idea that they should only take them from character's with invincible reversals suggests that every character deserves good AA options. They don't.

Most of the jab anti-airs in the game were never designed to be anti-airs. Capcom's awful hitboxes are responsible for characters like Ryu and Necalli swiping people out of the air with them.

The idea that they should only take them from character's with invincible reversals suggests that every character deserves good AA options. They don't.
Nothing you said here suggests that it would break the game if characters like Alex, Sim, Gief and Ibuki have strong AA jabs. I don't see a good argument to shut that idea down. "They don't" just seems like a really weak argument that is based off of nothing more than tradition. Hell, people here make even more outrageous arguments saying that all characters should be designed to be nearly perfect like SFV Ryu who has damn near everything except a divekick. Compared to that AA jabs for non-DP characters seems downright reasonable. I'm not going to argue adamantly for this, though. It was just an interesting opinion that I kinda like, so don't take my support too seriously.

Sheroking

Nothing you said here suggests that it would break the game if characters like Alex, Sim, Gief and Ibuki have strong AA jabs.

Break the game? No.
Make the game generally shittier? IMO, absolutely.

Anti-airs in Street Fighter should require an investment or a read. Jab anti-airs require neither. I have no problem with buffing real anti-air options, but letting characters jab cross-ups is not cool.

MrDaravon

I'm not crazy, Necalli's CA is NOT a grab and can be blocked right? Just played a guy who hit me with it twice and I swear I was blocking both times. Or can it not be crouch blocked for some reason?

Break the game? No.

Anti-airs in Street Fighter should require an investment or a read. Jab anti-airs require neither. I have no problem with buffing real anti-air options, but letting characters jab cross-ups is not cool.

This is the worst. They jab my ambiguous cross-up, get a free mix-up (dash-under, go low, Crush counter or throw) because I can't react quick enough. If they had DP'd my cross-up, I'm fine with that because I get enough time to react for the follow up (or slow rise), if they mix me up anyway, that's completely on me.

Mesoian

Alright, I'm hopping back on the sticks.

GT: Mesoian if anyone wants to get a few rounds. Warning: I'm not that good, but I do play Mika

MrDaravon

You're right, its blockable.

Okay, that's what I thought, dunno what happened there then. I've seen virtually no Necalli's so thought maybe I was misremembering or something. Still beat him anyway but was weird.

I'm on like a 5 win streak in Ranked, I'm super scared this is the highest I've ever gotten I think lol

Ketch

beating a mika is pretty satisfying.

also, why the hell does ryu move so damn fast.

Break the game? No.

yea I agree with this. they should remove invincible from DP unless it's EX, and then take away AA jabs from people who don't have other AA options... and then they need to nerf the shit out Ryu's jump.

MrDaravon

Made it to 6 wins, got matched up against a way higher ranked FANG who I have zero idea how to deal with. Managed to get the first game, lost the second but pulled out the third. Was actually fist pumping in my living room when I won the set LOL. Great times. Had a really good match going with a Cammy after that who beat me the first game but we got disconnected during the second. Man, been years since I spent like all day playing a fighting game, I've almost made Ultra Bronze which I don't think I was ever able to hit back at launch, good times.

Ketch when I got back on tonight you weren't on, I'll catch you later this week?

Ketch

Made it to 6 wins, got matched up against a way higher ranked FANG who I have zero idea how to deal with. Managed to get the first game, lost the second but pulled out the third. Was actually fist pumping in my living room when I won the set LOL. Great times. Had a really good match going with a Cammy after that who beat me the first game but we got disconnected during the second. Man, been years since I spent like all day playing a fighting game, I've almost made Ultra Bronze which I don't think I was ever able to hit back at launch, good times.

Ketch when I got back on tonight you weren't on, I'll catch you later this week?

Just finished playing a bunch now. I hover around 1k LP, just made it back into super bronze by making a ultra bronze Mika quit between matches.

I'll probably be back on in like two hours.

And a bunch more tomorrow.

Just wanted to stop by and give a shoutout to rentahamster! Thanks for the fuckin amazing suites and allowing the Fresno crew to come by and money match and eat your food and drink your drinks haha.

Much love man and it was awesome to finally meet you.

Made top 257 this year....did my best haha...another evo in the books for me!

I don't post often anymore but some of the older guys probably remember me but much love to all you! GAF has always shown a ton of support!

MrDaravon

Just finished playing a bunch now. I hover around 1k LP, just made it back into super bronze by making a ultra bronze Mika quit between matches.

I'll probably be back on in like two hours.

And a bunch more tomorrow.

I must have just missed you, when I got back on it said you were offline. I'm at 1300 LP right now but that's unusually high, I usually float right around 1k as well. I probably won't be on tomorrow since I work but should be around later in the week.

Top Bottom