• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Using V-Trigger while your opponent does a jump in or whatever giving you enough time to stop time and DP for the win is amazing.

Lol, feels like a hack.
Za Warudo? Za Warudo.
I keep thinking about playing Birdie a bit more but it feels like going to the dark side, like my soul will never be saved.
Lol, why do you hate Birdie so much? It's not like he's THAT strong.

Granted, the cammy vs Birdie matchup is kinda in his favour cause defense comes more easily for him than other characters but still!

Ketch

There are plenty of games that have content outside of the season pass, it's not as synonymous as you are implying.
And your tv show comparison is just dumb, c'mon now.

Those other games are also participating in the same scam though. And I think the TV show comparison is spot on. The DLC is basically: "Season Pass, does not include the whole season of DLC" which is like exactly the same as "Season 1, does not include every episode"

You're mad because you have an idea of what the season pass should be, not because they fucked up. They aren't even the only ones who do it. Go look at MKX, they sold a season pass that came with characters and some costumes and then sold separate costume packs that weren't included. The season pass description straight up tells you exactly what you're going to get, being pissy because you expected more is insane.

Its $30 for like... $64 of content. And before you say "ITS OVERPRICED SO THATS NOT A GOOD DEAL" you're right, it is overpriced but it is what it is. Whining because the name hits you the wrong way is just silly. The "fine print" (lol) is what is called a description, its not like they hid it away.

I'm not mad, I'm surprised. I didn't buy it and I didn't expect it to have all the DLC. I am surprised that people are defending what I think is a shady business practice. It's just as shady in other games that do the same thing, mortal kombat or whatever. And it extends to things other then "Season Pass", like "Single player campaign" or "Multiple endings". There's a certain expectation by the general public of what these things mean, companies know this and take advantage of it because it sounds better then calling it what it actually is.

This is my main point: All of these companies know that more people will buy it if it's labeled "season pass" rather then something else because of what the title implies rather then what's actually in the bundle.

Just because you and me are smart enough to not fall for it, and other companies do shit like this all the time, doesn't make it any less of a shady thing to do.

When someone comes in the thread and says that they bought the season pass and it wasn't what they expected, yea they should have read the description... but they also got tricked by a professional organization, and I don't think that's worth defending.

The "Season" pass you've attributed as a standard doesn't exist, Naughty Dog launched a season passes for their games and it only covers maps and single player content and I'm sure there are many other examples of with lots of other games.

The standard does exist though, as exhibited by all the people who buy the season pass and then are confused because it doesn't include everything. Again, companies do this all the time, and just because it doesn't trick everybody doesn't mean they're not trying to trick people.

Edit: The defense seems to be: I didn't get tricked, so other people shouldn't get tricked. When I think the actual response should be: Don't try to trick consumers.

Edit2: I'm done talking about it now because it's not completely on topic and I don't want people to leave the thread.

Xeteh

Za Warudo? Za Warudo.Lol, why do you hate Birdie so much? It's not like he's THAT strong.

Granted, the cammy vs Birdie matchup is kinda in his favour cause defense comes more easily for him than other characters but still!

It actually has a lot to do with Birdie vs Cammy, I'm bad enough with her and every Birdie I fought just annihilated me. All that HP and damage meant one mistake and I lost so much health and I'm insanely good at making mistakes.

Those other games are also participating in the same scam though. And I think the TV show comparison is spot on. The DLC is basically: "Season Pass, does not include the whole season of DLC" which is like exactly the same as "Season 1, does not include every episode"

I'm not mad, I didn't buy it and I didn't expect it to have all the DLC. I am surprised that people are defending what I think is a shady business practice. It's just as shady in other games that do the same thing, mortal kombat or whatever. And it extends to things other then "Season Pass", like "Single player campaign" or "Multiple endings". There's a certain expectation by the general public of what these things mean, companies know this and take advantage of it because it sounds better then calling it what it actually is.

This is my main point: All of these companies know that more people will buy it if it's labeled "season pass" rather then something else because of what the title implies rather then what's actually in the bundle.

Just because you and me are smart enough to not fall for it, and other companies do shit like this all the time, doesn't make it any less of a shady thing to do.

When someone comes in the thread and says that they bought the season pass and it wasn't what they expected, yea they should have read the description... but they also got tricked by a professional organization, and I don't think that's worth defending.

I don't see how it is "shady" to put all the information out there because some people are too clueless to read the description of what they're going to buy.

heringer

Guys, how can I get premium costumes like hot Ryu, leather jacket Ken, Prince of Persia, etc? Do I need to buy the season pass? Can't I buy them individually with real or fight money?

It actually has a lot to do with Birdie vs Cammy, I'm bad enough with her and every Birdie I fought just annihilated me. All that HP and damage meant one mistake and I lost so much health and I'm insanely good at making mistakes.
Hope you have better luck with Juri then, I suppose.
Guys, how can I get premium costumes like hot Ryu, leather jacket Ken, Prince of Persia, etc? Do I need to buy the season pass? Can't I buy them individually with real or fight money?
The Premium costumes are real money exclusive.

The Season Pass will only get you the 6 DLC characters for this year, a Premium costume for each of those 6 and Guile's Stage.

If you wanna buy premium costumes, then you gotta buy them in-game through PSN/Steam transactions. They apparently don't even have an entry up on the store so you gotta do it in-game. They're in the costumes section of the shop.

MrDaravon

Premium outfights are real money only; the Season Pass gets you only premium outfits but only for the Season Pass characters.

Also it kind of bums me out how often in Bronze people quit out after the first game. Unless it's a bad connection I ALWAYS rematch, even when it matches me up against way higher ranked players that completely destroy me. It's just points, and hopefully I'll at least learn something. Seems like most of the games I am managing to win people bounce after the first game :(. Also getting increasingly annoyed at how badly I'm choking online in terms of punishes and just dropping the ball in general. This is scrub-tier stuff so it's not worth critiquing, I just really need to play more and get my experience and muscle memory up.

Asd202

I was waiting for Evo's results to see if it gave us a clearer statement on the state of the games balance.

6 Chun Li's, 6 Necalli's, 3 Nash, 3 Mika's dominated top 32.

1 Ryu, 2 Kens, 2 Rashid's, 2 Vegas, 2 Karin's, 1 Cammy 1 Dhalsim, 2 Gief.
1 fang.

Alex, Guile, Birdy, Laura and Bison didn't make top 32. Ibuki and Balrog weren't eligible.

With four characters representing over 56% of the participation in top 32, I wonder if this will prompt future balance updates to bring more of the cast in line? We aren't seeing character's like Laura perform at all, which is interesting considering a Laura player won the first Capcom major - I suppose people hadn't learnt the matchup at the time.

It will be interesting to see how other characters perform in the future but at the moment it seems that selecting Necalli or Chun is a strong predictor of how well you will perform. It's interesting that Nash, while dominating top 8, did not feature as frequently.

I think characters like Rashid surprised people, but I also think characters like Necalli and Chun are Rashid's worst matchups. That makes top 32 very tough if many of your games are 6:4.

Umm both these characters could be played. Damn I'm late. Anyway I think Capcom is making a good decision to hold out until the end of Capcom Cup.

You don't get to decide it's a "scam" just because it doesn't fit your expectations or definition.
And if we are going by definitions, wiki has it listed as "access to some or all future DLC".

And again no, your tv comparison is silly, the season pass would have to leave out things that are relevant to the actual gameplay (as in characters) for it to be any kind of good comparison.

Xeteh

Hope you have better luck with Juri then, I suppose.
The Premium costumes are real money exclusive.

I probably won't. I enjoy the faster/agile characters so I keep playing the ones with lower health but my execution isn't sharp enough for it. My execution has gotten better but I'm still making plenty of mistakes.

I should also add that a lot of my "hate" for Birdie is me being silly. I don't actually hate any characters.

KingBroly

Banned
I was waiting for Evo's results to see if it gave us a clearer statement on the state of the games balance.

1 fang.

Alex, Guile, Birdy, Laura and Bison didn't make top 32. Ibuki and Balrog weren't eligible.

With four characters representing over 56% of the participation in top 32, I wonder if this will prompt future balance updates to bring more of the cast in line? We aren't seeing character's like Laura perform at all, which is interesting considering a Laura player won the first Capcom major - I suppose people hadn't learnt the matchup at the time.

It will be interesting to see how other characters perform in the future but at the moment it seems that selecting Necalli or Chun is a strong predictor of how well you will perform. It's interesting that Nash, while dominating top 8, did not feature as frequently.

I think characters like Rashid surprised people, but I also think characters like Necalli and Chun are Rashid's worst matchups. That makes top 32 very tough if many of your games are 6:4.

I think it's been said by some that if '8 frames' is fixed, Nash is basically screwed. Is it true? I dunno.

I think Chun, Ryu, Ken and Necalli are going to get nerfed in the future, though. Nash might, depending on the 8 frames thing holding water.

FANG needs to be buffed, though. Infiltration really only seems to use him to fuck with people.

The game won't let me play online and asks me to update to 1.06 but the latest update on PS4 is 1.04..... What?
The 1.05 and 1.06 are downloaded in-game if you're on PS4. They're not downloaded through PSN.

I probably won't. I enjoy the faster/agile characters so I keep playing the ones with lower health but my execution isn't sharp enough for it. My execution has gotten better but I'm still making plenty of mistakes.

I should also add that a lot of my "hate" for Birdie is me being silly. I don't actually hate any characters.
Yeah lol I picked up on that second part. Hope your execution improves!

FANG needs to be buffed, though. Infiltration really only seems to use him to fuck with people.
What excuse does Xian have then? FeelsBadMan

I don't see how it is "shady" to put all the information out there because some people are too clueless to read the description of what they're going to buy.

Not every consumer is a savvy consumer.

When Season Pass, as ketch points out, has been used, the general case is a "buy all paid DLC for a discount over individual purchases". This is the case more often than not.

Furthermore, when a consumer looks at the "premium edition" or whatever they call the game + season pass package, there's probably an even lower probability of the person checking to see exactly what's included in the season pass.

The standard does exist though, as exhibited by all the people who buy the season pass and then are confused because it doesn't include everything. Again, companies do this all the time, and just because it doesn't trick everybody doesn't mean they're not trying to trick people.

Edit: The defense seems to be: I didn't get tricked, so other people shouldn't get tricked. When I think the actual response should be: Don't try to trick consumers.

Edit2: I'm done talking about it now because it's not completely on topic and I don't want people to leave the thread.

I thought your analogy was understandable. And I agree there is a standard.

I think one of the things that further makes this a tricky purchase is that people want a way to buy everything. They want that "all halloween costume" pack from USF4, they want that "all summer costume" pack... and they think "season pass? that must be the option for all DLC". But Capcom doesn't bundle everything this time around and people aren't used to the shift in dlc policy, especially with the naming convention.

The 1.05 and 1.06 are downloaded in-game if you're on PS4. They're not downloaded through PSN.

Same for Steam/PC.

And again no, your tv comparison is silly, the season pass would have to leave out things that are relevant to the actual gameplay (as in characters) for it to be any kind of good comparison.

Not really. Content is content.

heringer

Buy them from the store with real money.

real money

season pass only has premium costumes for DLC chars

Premium outfights are real money only; the Season Pass gets you only premium outfits but only for the Season Pass characters.

Also it kind of bums me out how often in Bronze people quit out after the first game. Unless it's a bad connection I ALWAYS rematch, even when it matches me up against way higher ranked players that completely destroy me. It's just points, and hopefully I'll at least learn something. Seems like most of the games I am managing to win people bounce after the first game :(. Also getting increasingly annoyed at how badly I'm choking online in terms of punishes and just dropping the ball in general. This is scrub-tier stuff so it's not worth critiquing, I just really need to play more and get my experience and muscle memory up.

I can't though. I try t but, at least on Steam, it doesn't take me to the store or anything. :(

Neoxon

1 fang.

Uhh, Ibuki & Balrog were EVO-legal.

Ibuki and Balrog were eligible. PR Balrog barely missed top 32 with him.
But yeah, basically no DLC character can hang with the rest of the cast so far.

Oh my bad, I just assumed they weren't because neither were represented in top 32, and didn't they say something before about not having Ibuki playable at Evo? Fair enough though.

Either way I don't think we can judge the performance of those characters yet, as they are too fresh. I suspect even for Guile and Alex, etc. Many just felt they had invested too much time into their mains to switch at Evo. I imagine a lot of pro players who were perhaps considering a switch will do so after Evo or Capcom cup if they were eligible.

MrDaravon

Just curious; how is the Chun/Boxer matchup? Just played a Boxer for the first time, probably inexperience but a lot of his stuff seems pretty safe, or at least hard for Chun to punish without spending meter? He bodied me the first round, and he won the next 3 in a row but they were all fairly close, he didn't seem to have a lot of great anti air options against me and Chun's st.MP was causing him problems and catching him out of stuff.

Ketch

Dude, we need to play together! I have the same issues. With all the new people in the thread we should make a bronze league battle lounge. My CFN is KetchV.

Let's go GAF, Post your CFN if youre bronze and want to improve.

I can be online in like 20 minutes.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Evil Ryu

e_ryu.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

That's a little weird. Do you know how big is the download size and how should I know if the download has started or not?
It should automatically give you a notification when it's logging into the server, something like "Title update needs to be downloaded"

Then you'll be thrown in-game and in the top of the main menu there'll be a progress bar showing how much is downloaded.

You can't use any online features while it's being downloaded but you can play offline. It'll also give a notification in-game once every 10% of it is downloaded.

I think it's around 200-300 MB. 500 MB is the absolute MAXIMUM.

this is totally the mystery costume
Either this or Violent Ken.

But it'd be hilarious if it's just Guile dressed as Mega Man or some shit.

MrDaravon

Dude, we need to play together! I have the same issues. With all the new people in the thread we should make a bronze league battle lounge. My CFN is KetchV.

Let's go GAF, Post your CFN if youre bronze and want to improve.

I can be online in like 20 minutes.

I added you, I've got to go in a minute but will probably be back shortly or at least at some point tonight. My CFN is MrDaravon. You were actually the first person I added, had to figure out how to even do it lol. How that's handled isn't very intuitive.

It should automatically give you a notification when it's logging into the server, something like "Title update needs to be downloaded"

Then you'll be thrown in-game and in the top of the main menu there'll be a progress bar showing how much is downloaded.

You can't use any online features while it's being downloaded but you can play offline. It'll also give a notification in-game once every 10% of it is downloaded.

I think it's around 200-300 MB. 500 MB is the absolute MAXIMUM.

Either this or Violent Ken.

But it'd be hilarious if it's just Guile dressed as Mega Man or some shit.

That could be an SFxT reference -- SFxT remaster for PS4 to be announced at SDCC? ;)

Also, from my experience on PC, the stuff about title update appears below the main logo and then it will dump you in the menu screen and you'll get updates on the progress in little bubbles on the bottom right like all server communications and it will usually update every 10% or so.

10% complete.
20% complete.
etc.

When it finishes, it will flash a message about needing to restart the game, and the game will restart.

As a Nash player the lack of Air grabs in Air to Air situations and the B.MK really annoyed me at Evo. B.MK beats instant air lighting legs and is a frame faster than MP and his air grab wins in a lot of situations.

That could be an SFxT reference -- SFxT remaster for PS4 to be announced at SDCC? ;)

Also, from my experience on PC, the stuff about title update appears below the main logo and then it will dump you in the menu screen and you'll get updates on the progress in little bubbles on the bottom right like all server communications and it will usually update every 10% or so.

10% complete.
20% complete.
etc.

When it finishes, it will flash a message about needing to restart the game, and the game will restart.
Yeah this was exactly my experience on PS4. But didn't you PC guys also have a 1.8 GB download on Steam accompanying the update? Thought you didn't have to bother with the in-game patching shenanigans.

Yeah this was exactly my experience on PS4. But didn't you PC guys also have a 1.8 GB download on Steam accompanying the update? Thought you didn't have to bother with the in-game patching shenanigans.

Yeah, it might've, I don't pay attention to the download list on my Steam client most of the time; I just dealt with the update stuff the last few times I booted the game for 1.05 and 1.06.

Shadoken

I think it's been said by some that if '8 frames' is fixed, Nash is basically screwed. Is it true? I dunno.

I think Chun, Ryu, Ken and Necalli are going to get nerfed in the future, though. Nash might, depending on the 8 frames thing holding water.

Changing the 8f input lag is going to affect the ENTIRE game. Not just Nash , Overheads are almost going to never hit. Chars like Birdie grab is also going to be near useless.

Many of the games " Can be punished if predicted , but not punished if you arent expecting it " Type moves are going to change.

kirblar

Cammy vs Birdie from my experience is about two things as Birdie: Keeping her the fuck out, because if she gets in it's incredibly hard for him to get her off his back, and if that fails, use your V-Trigger as a comeback tool.

(The latter is true in every match cause his V-Trigger is absurdly good.)

We still had to go through in game update, i was in training mode for it... it pissed me off cause i thought i was done downloading i can play..

Big Brett

- Don't jump at Ken so much, a better one would DP you all the time.
- You do cr.mk as a close-up pressure button, but that's -4 on block. A better sequence is cr.mp into st.mp (or cr.mk) to hit confirm into a full combo. Or do st.lk (+3) or cr.mp (+2) and go for a throw or another button afterwards to maybe get a counter-hit.
- Raw Ressenha is super punishable, but you probably know that
- You're not really abusing Karin's biggest strength: her neutral game! Do more st.hk, st.mk, charged V-Skill (I don't think you did any but it's especially good against Ken), Orochis (especially after st.hp which you hit often) and cr.mk xx qcb.hk at footsie range if you're good enough for that.
- Anti-air Ken's air tatsu with st.lp, st.hp, cr.hp or EX Ressenha depending on the ranges
- Punish random DPs at longer ranges with a CC st.hk into non-charged V-Skill or CC st.hk into V-Trigger activation and a full combo
- Too much of your forward movement is jumping, use more dashing and walk+block
- Raw EX Orochi is very punishable on block (-7)
- The last match you could've won with a CA earlier in the corner.

Awesome, thank you!!

KingBroly

Banned

Part of me believes the Steam update was to change how certain files are encoded, like Survival Mode and costumes, which broke damn near every mod the game has.

Top Bottom