• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

GoaThief

True I am ultra aggressive as you and the boys know in pretty much any character I choose to use, however it really is getting me into trouble. I'm slowly learning when to cease my turn and when it should be mine.

Combos are fine, got those. But having a real hard time opening people up who have great defense.

And tbh I focus way too much on combos and their execution, I forget basic fundementals and actually playing SF because I am desperate for that big dmg.
I kinda have the opposite problem at the moment, I can open people up but not damage/punish appropriately as I have approximately zero combos!

Probably because I've not played a lot at all but still... Need to find time soon.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well good news for you then, because combos are pretty easy in this game and opening people up is the hard part.

I kinda have the opposite problem at the moment, I can open people up but not damage/punish appropriately as I have approximately zero combos!

Probably because I've not played a lot at all but still...
If you just don't enjoy learning combos then you can try playing Birdie or Bison, characters that have "basic" combos or not particularly complex ones and rely more on reads and general play. Hell, Ryu is a solid character that also doesn't rely on tough combos.
Doesn't Necalli have one too?
I believe he does but I'm not sure, you'd have to double check.

And no Nash is as good as Infiltration's and no Mika as Fuudo's. Weird argument lol.
Also, 32 is the cut-off for CPT. That's my guess. Pretty good number to get an overview.
Yea it seem arbitrary though. These events have different talent levels,and are scattered across the world. 5 Kens being in top 32 could simply be a popularity contest.

Top 10 right now
2 Nash
2 Kens
2 Ryus
1 Karin
1 Cammy
1 Mika
1 Necalli

And then it says who qualified and who didn't etc...which I'm assuming is harder than just having points? I'm just saying I don't think that's a good measure of who the strongest fighters are. Everyone knows how good Chuns are, but it isn't 100 Chuns winning tourneys all the time.

mbpm1

Cammy finally gets that command grab and becomes top tier!

Patch notes:

Cammy

-New command grab Spin Drive Smasher (qcb+P)! Cammy smashes her opponent to the ground and snaps their neck, commando style!
-Divekick hurtbox increased, can be hit from half screen jabs
-Cr. Mk no longer cancellable
-Cannon Spike invincibility frames reduced from 1 - 5 to 3 - 5.
-Ass Flattened

But Urien is old news! It always seems like 60% of the posts in these OTs are "Top tier character I play isn't that good guys!" And then another 30% are people looking for matches with the last 10% being shit posts from the you know whos.

But Urien is old news! It always seems like 60% of the posts in these OTs are "Top tier character I play isn't that good guys!" And then another 30% are people looking for matches with the last 10% being shit posts from the you know whos.
That's just because it's the same people usually posting.

And that as an OT is offensive. In fact, if you look at the discussion on the last page, that's why we have this back n forth in the first place. Everyone has a bias for their mains, flux never like to admit how derpy clap is, I likely don't realize how much Tatsu saves my Ken, Etc...but an OT like that is just inflamatory and not even funny.

The top 5 rarely even changes, we know who's good. Ken, Chun, Nash, Ryu, Mika, Cammy, Necalli are always the same characters used at the top of any tier. It's when you start saying "well this character is easier to win with" that you offend players. And IMO the tourney results show that the best character isn't dominating in wins at high level, and proves that the game is generally balanced and after a certain point your character is less important than your skill. And if you can't see that, well then I'd say your full of shit.

Well yeah, I see your point. At the end of the day, it's gonna come down to whoever makes the next OT (might be Reizo Ryuu).

EDIT: But the Urien joke is something everyone can get, the top players joke is something only the "regulars" of this thread will find funny.

You have a gift at making patch notes my friend.

Sayad

No one is as consistent as Momochi man...

And genuine question why are you stopping at 35?
Same can be said about Xiaohai with Cammy, Tokido with Ryu, Fuudo with Mika or Infiltration with Nash, meanwhile no Chun player is on that level. Do you think Chun is weaker than those characters because no one is preforming that well with her?!
This speaks more about the players than it does about the character they're using.

And it's top 32, not 35, as in, 32 players get to qualify to Capcom Cup finals based on their results through CPT events.

I want Momochi to win CPT so we can finally get a good Ken outfit.
I'm always rooting for Momo, but I guess now I have a good reason for doing so, lol.

Same can be said about Xiaohai with Cammy, Tokido with Ryu, Fuudo with Mika or Infiltration with Nash, meanwhile no Chun player is one that level(do you think Chun is weaker than those characters because no one is preforming that well with her?!). This speaks more about the players than it does about the character they're using.

And it's top 32, not 35, as in, 32 players get to qualify to Capcom Cup finals based on their results through CPT events.
See my post above. I'm not sure we're disagreeing but I responded already. I've never said Ken wasn't good, just that he isn't easy to play at high level and hard to be consistent with since he has high risk play styles. The fact that Chun is absent in the top ten proves that characters don't matter as much as people think as well after a certain skill level. But if you disagree that's cool

Well yeah, I see your point. At the end of the day, it's gonna come down to whoever makes the next OT (might be Reizo Ryuu).

EDIT: But the Urien joke is something everyone can get, the top players joke is something only the "regulars" of this thread will find funny.

You have a gift at making patch notes my friend.
It's not funny at all brah...

Low tier players do the same thing "look at how good I am, I can even beat you with my FANG or Gief!"

It's all bullshit...and you guys are dissapointing me with your lack of appreciation for dedicated players. I know a lot of players put a ton of time in (myself included) just to get a level of "decent" we shouldn't be throwing shade on our regulars because of what character they use.

Tirael

I don't know what you're talking about.

Also buff Mika pls Capcpcom

Skilletor

But it's accurate on what the OT will contain based on this one and the ones in the past.

Well if you don't like it, start a conversation. lol.

Game is 8 months old at this point with just regular posters popping in. I don't stick around OTs for as long as I have this game, but I'd say it's pretty normal. There's a reason OTs are moved to community.

It's not funny at all brah...

Low tier players do the same thing "look at how good I am, I can even beat you with my FANG or Gief!"

It's all bullshit...and you guys are dissapointing me with your lack of appreciation for dedicated players. I know a lot of players put a ton of time in (myself included) just to get a level of "decent" we shouldn't be throwing shade on our regulars because of what character they use.
If a person ever says that someone who wins consistently only does so because of their character, then that person is a fucking moron.

We all point out things in this game that are annoying, things that are difficult to deal with and things that are too overpowered but despite these things, it still takes skill to win and I believe that most of the people who post in this thread have the knowledge and common sense required to know that.

I almost exclusively play FANG these days. When I get my ass handed to me by a Ken or Chun, I don't think "That character is bullshit" and then just pretend that the character was the reason I lost. I know that there is a slight character advantage in some cases (Chun-Li stomp into IA, Ken's jumping tatsu,Ryu's j.lk) but these things on their own are not even close to the reason I lost the match. I lost because I got outplayed, pure and simple.

And when I point out that a move sucks or a character is annoying, rest assured I do not say this with the intention of throwing shade at anyone or accusing someone of coasting with their character. There is no such thing as being carried by your character in this game. I hope that I speak for at least a few of the people in this thread when I say that.

How many pages for a new OT?

When S2 happens, do we make a new OT on gaming side?
New OT comes at around 20,000 posts.

We should definitely make a new thread in the gaming section, since Killer Instinct does the exact same thing. A new season brings changes to existing characters, new stuff and new characters, don't see why we shouldn't.

mbpm1

If a person ever says that someone who wins consistently only does so because of their character, then that person is a fucking moron.

Sure, but people do the opposite pretty frequently.

"Imagine how good Xian would be doing if he wasn't playing that shitty FANG."

JayEH

One thing I would like to see in the future is announcer pack dlc. Maybe they can get the voice actors to Be the announcer in character like Arcsys games. I really don't like the direction they went with the current announcer.

It's all bullshit...and you guys are dissapointing me with your lack of appreciation for dedicated players

I'm not dissing any specific person/character in this thread nor do I disagree with you on the games balance! I too think it's very well balanced. It was just an observation on what the OTs usually consist of. No offense intended to you or anyone else in the thread! :)

Daigo better win something big before the new thread so we can have a Daigot title.
rb2r7v9zfpnx.gif

Sure, but people do the opposite pretty frequently.

"Imagine how good Xian would be doing if he wasn't playing that shitty FANG."
You know, I actually used to say the same thing till around July or August. Some clear understanding dawned on me and I realized that while Xian won't get any REAL success this year by using FANG, it doesn't necessarily mean that he'll do well with any character. Xian seems to excel with taking the more difficult and technical characters and shining with them. Even though he had a very diverse character pool in SF4, he still preferred the 2-3 characters that he used in pro play.

Perhaps it's just a mental thing, but I don't think that you can just force Xian to play Ryu or Chun for 5 months and expect him to dominate everyone. Liking your character goes a long way towards "bonding" with them, wanting to keep playing the game and improve with them.

We all point out things in this game that are annoying, things that are difficult to deal with and things that are too overpowered but despite these things, it still takes skill to win and I believe that most of the people who post in this thread have the knowledge and common sense required to know that.

I almost exclusively play FANG these days. When I get my ass handed to me by a Ken or Chun, I don't think "That character is bullshit" and then just pretend that the character was the reason I lost. I know that there is a slight character advantage in some cases (Chun-Li stomp into IA, Ken's jumping tatsu,Ryu's j.lk) but these things on their own are not even close to the reason I lost the match. I lost because I got outplayed, pure and simple.

And when I point out that a move sucks or a character is annoying, rest assured I do not say this with the intention of throwing shade at anyone or accusing someone of coasting with their character. There is no such thing as being carried by your character in this game. I hope that I speak for at least a few of the people in this thread when I say that.
wel said...it's harder to gauge tones etc...over forums so it's not easy to relay how we come across. Unfortunately, we have to type out long responses like this but I thank you for the effort.

I'm not dissing any specific person/character in this thread nor do I disagree with you on the games balance! I too think it's very well balanced. It was just an observation on what the OTs usually consist of. No offense intended to you or anyone else in the thread! :)
No worries mate...my apologies as well...

It's all good. I might just be extra sensitive because Kens outfits are so horrible -_-

To celebrate our group hug, we should have a GaF lobby this week!!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
No worries mate...my apologies as well...

It's all good. I might just be extra sensitive because Kens outfits are so horrible -_-

To celebrate our group hug, we should have a GaF lobby this week!!
That would be very good. We should probably use the sfv discord to coordinate that, as to not to create a rift with the thread.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys few questions from a noob:

• Anybody's looking for a padawan to master in online play? :p I miss playing SF2 in the arcades and learning all sort of stuff, doing it online doesn't work for me especially since I don't have friends to play this with.
Got the game a few weeks ago but couldn't play for shit with the pad, now I got a RAP4 Kai and at least I can pull fireballs and shoryukens no worries.
PS4, playing from Spain. I main Ryu.

• Is there a way to check how many bars MY connection has in-game? I can only see others' but I'd like to know how mine performs too.

• I have the season pass so I'm ok with characters so far, but what's the easiest way to get FM to buy colors/stages? Just playing online or should I concentrate on beating Survival first?

• Story Mode sucks ass or did I accidentally put it on super easy mode? I get it that they want everyone to beat it but I suck and nonetheless it's been nothing but Perfects... it's boring the hell outta me. Is there a difficulty switch?What do I get for beating it? And what about the character specific stories?

Hey guys few questions from a noob:

• Anybody's looking for a padawan to master? :p I miss playing SF2 in the arcades and learning all sort of stuff, doing it online doesn't work for me especially since I don't have friends to play this with.
Got the game a few weeks ago but couldn't play for shit with the pad, now I got a RAP4 Kai and at least I can pull fireballs and shoryukens no worries.
PS4, playing from Spain. I main Ryu.

• Is there a way to check how many bars MY connection has in-game? I can only see others' but I'd like to know how mine performs too.

• I have the season pass so I'm ok with characters so far, but what's the easiest way to get FM to buy colors/stages? Just playing online or should I concentrate on beating Survival first?

• Story Mode sucks ass or did I accidentally put it on super easy mode? I get it that they want everyone to beat it but I suck and nonetheless it's been nothing but Perfects... it's boring the hell outta me. Is there a difficulty switch?What do I get for beating it? And what about the character specific stories?
Can't help you with the first one. Live too far away to teach or play with you.

You can't check your connection to yourself because the game's connection to other players Is p2p. Meaning there is no server that everyone plays through, the servers just matches you with a person and you both connect directly to each other.

Story mode, character story mode and easy survival are the easiest ways to get fm. There are also daily/ weekly challenges that you can do.

Completing the general story mode gives 30k FM and unlocks the harder difficulty. Completing the harder difficulty gives 50k FM.

Completing character story mode unlocks that character's story costume for purchase from the store with FM, unlocks a character specific theme for your profile and gives fm and experience for that character.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't help you with the first one. Live too far away to teach or play with you.

You can't check your connection to yourself because the game's connection to other players Is p2p. Meaning there is no server that everyone plays through, the servers just matches you with a person and you both connect directly to each other.

Story mode, character story mode and easy survival are the easiest ways to get fm. There are also daily/ weekly challenges that you can do.

Completing the general story mode gives 30k FM and unlocks the harder difficulty. Completing the harder difficulty gives 50k FM.

Completing character story mode unlocks that character's story costume for purchase from the store with FM, unlocks a character specific theme for your profile and gives fm and experience for that character.

Thanks a bunch for the reply and all the answers man, really appreciate it!

Yeah, edited my post to specify I'm looking for some EU players to spar with me online and teach me a bit, because how I worded it it made it seem I was looking for a local SFV community... which would be utterly impossible considering I'm currently living in Tenerife (Canary Islands) lol

So it's p2p... does it mean if the match was smooth for me it was likely the same for my opponent?
I've set it up so to accept requests from 4/5 bars in EU.
I don't wanna win because I teleport all over the place, hate when that happened to other cars back in GT5 on PS3 where I'd lose mostly because others were lagging like crazy

Also, is there a log-in bonus?

stn

Question to Birdie players: how do you usually charge his bull horn? Which punch button is the most worth sacrificing in order to have the attack ready?

Question to Birdie players: how do you usually charge his bull horn? Which punch button is the most worth sacrificing in order to have the attack ready?
I actually talked about this the other day.
I personally hold down bullhorn for when I need to be getting past projectiles, and for that I usually hold st.hk as it's the most convenient button on a DS4 and not one that I realistically need until I'm right in their face.

The charge for it is actually not that long, just needs a bit of practice. Remember that Bullhorn is a decent AA but it's best property is by far the fact that it's projectile invincible so you can hit the Ryu straight in the face if he tries to throw a fireball when you're very close.

Other than that, it's good to keep it held when you're doing a jump in. You can even do a j.hk xx cr.hp xx bullhorn. Just do the j.hk and keep the button held then let go after the cr.hp
It's ultimately up to you though I would advise against using HP or LP since you'll probably need both of them for confirming into light bullhead, the cr.lp or just for the sake of the dolphin dive.

Thanks a bunch for the reply and all the answers man, really appreciate it!

Yeah, edited my post to specify I'm looking for some EU players to spar with me online and teach me a bit, because how I worded it it made it seem I was looking for a local SFV community... which would be utterly impossible considering I'm currently living in Tenerife (Canary Islands) lol

So it's p2p... does it mean if the match was smooth for me it was likely the same for my opponent?
I've set it up so to accept requests from 4/5 bars in EU.
I don't wanna win because I teleport all over the place, hate when that happened to other cars back in GT5 on PS3 where I'd lose mostly because others were lagging like crazy

Also, is there a log-in bonus?
While you are connected to each other, the netcode used for this is called "rollback" which means that if the actions on both people's screens aren't fully synched, the person who's ahead will have their move happen and then "rolled-back". Like you did a hadoken and it looked like it hit but actually he was blocking and when it synched back, he actually did block it. It's a bit of a weird netcode since it allows 5 bar connections to be pretty much flawless but some of the "worse" connections do become a tad bit more unplayable as a result. But as long as you keep playing people with decent connections, you should be good.

Set it to "ask" instead of directly connecting since sometimes you can get some weird people with connections that only give 1 bar.

Also, make sure to connect your PS4 to the internet through a wired connection. If you use a router, connect your PS4 directly to it. Allows you to still maintain a decent connection if you have internet fast enough to handle multiple people using it at the same time.

There is no log-in bonus, but the daily challenges are easy enough that you can usually knock them out in a few sets. A lot of them are as simple as just finding and playing a ranked match, doing a total of 10 throws, etc.

Top Bottom