• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Dahbomb

Almost made a topic about this, but I don't want another FGC shitflinging topic.

t34r0TN.jpg

Yahoo eSports dude tries to wish Mike Ross well, and Mike "I Just Quit Twitch" Ross isn't having that bullshit after his racist ass joke.

https://twitter.com/Bizarro_Mike/status/788610847765659648

Part starts at 11:45.

https://esports.yahoo.com/mike-ross-zhi-discuss-highs-171954283.html

Like come on, dude.

Double edit: Nah, shit is real.
Damn do we have unchained Mike Ross back again?

Was getting tired of keeping it professional Mike Ross.

Marvel

could never
Chen has a point but I wish there was a better way to get that experience. I feel like the biggest difference between low level and intermediate players is low level players throw out unsafe stuff all the time (think of all the Vanilla SF4 Kens). And a big difference between intermediate and advanced players is a lot of players throw in unsafe stuff because the intermediate mindset is one of being overly cautious.
Very true also.

Moaradin

I've been riding on the line between Platinum and Super Platinum with Urien for the past 3 weeks now. Seem to have hit a wall. Feels bad man.

Worst part is I know exactly what the problem is and I'm having a hard ass time fixing it. People are able to jump in and press buttons like a nut and I'm having trouble dealing with it. His anti airs get beat by everything if you aren't super on point with them.

I've been riding on the line between Platinum and Super Platinum with Urien for the past 3 weeks now. Seem to have hit a wall. Feels bad man.

Worst part is I know exactly what the problem is and I'm having a hard ass time fixing it. People are able to jump in and press buttons like a nut and I'm having trouble dealing with it. His anti airs get beat by everything if you aren't super on point with them.
yeah Urien is scary with his frame traps, but you might be a little too agreesive with his shoulder rush. It's a great frame trap but if blocked can leave you open for big damage just like a DP.

I think Urien and Guile are the strongest of the DLC characters though, you should hit diamond in no time. His AA is solid but has to be on point like you said, but since you are always charging as Urien, you are naturally more defensive, throw in some air to air as well.

Diamond is the new Plat now. It's still hard to get to Super diamond because you lose a lot of points versus people just hitting plat still, but hitting diamond isn't that exclusive anymore.

Once everyone hits super, I'll go back to ranked lol.

Also for people looking to level up, play good players in sets. Not just a few first to 3'd and you "GGs I suck" or "you're too good"

Play strong players in FT10, and then another right after that. Then go back and watch the replay. If anyone just hands down best me, I'm usually addicted to playing them. Everyday I want a rematch until i at least get even with the player in wins, and ultimately I just want to beat them decisively.

Gotta had a little competitor in ya if you want to level up.

Sigmaah

Same I'm stuck between plat and super plat.

My goal is diamond and then rip to rank forever for my vega account. Then on to urien.

I'm platinum but the recent reality checks hit me, reminding me that I may be platinum but I'm still ass.

Now I'm just ass with a shinier emblem.

Skilletor

I'm gold, was super gold but got into a match with super rollback against a silver player and just took the L because it was impossible to play.

I want to get to platinum, but don't really care about ranked. It just lets me play better players in casual. The struggle.

Kashiwaba

I started to lose interest in ranking after hitting gold I'm almost super gold but i just don't find it intriguing anymore especially with all the Rage quitters.

Being in Ultra Gold, it's becoming harder to find good connection in Casual. I was matched up by someone from Switzerland and a two jabs I combo was denied by rollback.

So I gave Alex a legit shot. Spent a healthy chunk of time in training mode, did a few matches against the AI as prep then went online.

He's certainly a fun character. Sadly, he's just not for me. I feel like there's no character that matches my preferred playstyle. FANG comes the closest but I just dunno.

Save us from this pain Mr.Honda!

FluxWaveZ

I'm Super Diamond. I like it because, for the most part, I'm matched up consistently against great players.

The best part is getting these exclusive tags. "Awakened" is awesome.

Mœbius

I've been doing so much better in ranked (and importantly both having fun and actually learning) since I took the advice from that James Chen video a few weeks back and literally started ignoring the LP.

At first I must have lost something like 2000+ points but I was learning about Urien's match-ups and generally building my knowledge / execution until I started going up again. Point is though that if I go down again - I really don't care; it's been really refreshing to get over that mental barrier and simply enjoy the game and the process of learning. Don't get me wrong; I still want to win and get salty when I lose - but I get that way due to inate competitiveness and mistakes, not because I lose my ranking.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I would love an option to just hide all that info.

There is, you just need to not look at the VS screen (which I guess is the cumbersome part). I've had the option enabled for a very long time now since knowing my opponent's stats affected the way I played significantly. Now, though, I don't care at all, but I still do have the option turned on.

Mœbius

Yeah it can definitely be turned off on the main play screen under the life bars (along with a bunch of other stuff). Not on the VS screen though as Flux points out; and he's also right about the other benefit of not seeing / caring about it - you go into the battle balanced, without mentally defeating yourself due to the opponents points. It's really meaningless.

Kashiwaba

Mœbius;220684385 said:
I've been doing so much better in ranked (and importantly both having fun and actually learning) since I took the advice from that James Chen video a few weeks back and literally started ignoring the LP.

At first I must have lost something like 2000+ points but I was learning about Urien's match-ups and generally building my knowledge / execution until I started going up again. Point is though that if I go down again - I really don't care; it's been really refreshing to get over that mental barrier and simply enjoy the game and the process of learning. Don't get me wrong; I still want to win and get salty when I lose - but I get that way due to inate competitiveness and mistakes, not because I lose my ranking.

Once your ignore you're lp you do much better but sadly every once in a while a sucker rage quit and reminds you of it and i don't mind it if he was some crap player who can't even play and quit but some players make you feel bitter when they quit after a hard earned win.

mbpm1

Yeah ever since I did that i nolonger start with any false assumptions beyond "Oh this guy plays Ken, he has yolo in his blood"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Not showing it within a match isn't really the same. It's even displayed rigt there in the main menu.

FluxWaveZ

Another good part about being matched against players around my LP is that no one rage quits. I assume that's more of a problem as the leagues descend, since the higher it gets, the more a player has dedicated themselves to the game and are less prone to RQ as a result. There are always the exceptions, though...

Mœbius

Not showing it within a match isn't really the same. It's even displayed rigt there in the main menu.
True, but really the point is not necessarily to be blind to it literally (as much as that may help); it's fine to see it... just learn not to give a fuck about it. Hehe.

Dahbomb

I somehow got to Gold last night then went on tilt and lost like two leagues and went down to 3k LP. It was 3 am and I ran into like 4 Ken players who DC'd on loss.

In that time frame I somehow forgot how to do QCF motions on the 2 player side. I feel like I need to spend a solid weekend just working on basic execution because it's getting embarrassing now.

Also need to start practicing anti airing with Cannon Spike, too much crap in the game that can't be anti aired by non 3 frame light normals.

And yeah yesterday I set my connections to 4-5 after getting a bunch of people from Latin America and three from Europe. Some bizarre rollback stuff was experienced where people were blocking and getting hit at the same time.

Ken player + Latin American flag + low rank but high win streak + PC = 90% chance it's a scumbag lag switcher and RQer

Moaradin

3 bars is usually perfectly fine 99% of the time for me. Sometimes I'll get someone from brazil and I'll get some lag. 4-5 bars is nearly perfect all the time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What surprises me is how Capcom is still quiet about this issue.

The issue is obviously a combination of your personal situation and the game. There's nothing Capcom can say or do.

You need to fuck around with your PC and your network. Even if SFV is the ONLY game that gives you these problems, it's NOT giving everyone else these problems, which is strong evidence that the issues you are having are a result of the game AND your personal circumstances. Capcom isn't going to help you, so consider some other form of troubleshooting.

Yeah ever since I did that i nolonger start with any false assumptions beyond "Oh this guy plays Ken, he has yolo in his blood"

LEAVE KENS ALONE!

I'LL SHOW YOU A BORING KEN

mbpm1

The issue is obviously a combination of your personal situation and the game. There's nothing Capcom can say or do.

You need to fuck around with your PC and your network. Even if SFV is the ONLY game that gives you these problems, it's NOT giving everyone else these problems, which is strong evidence that the issues you are having are a result of the game AND your personal circumstances. Capcom isn't going to help you, so consider some other form of troubleshooting.

But then he would have nothing to complain about or post in this thread

LEAVE KENS ALONE!

I'LL SHOW YOU A BORING KEN

I guess it must be boring to Shoryu all day long :p

Yeah I know it tends to vary a bit

Except Capcom can and even done it in the pass by adding region restriction. Right now I'm building my PC and getting the rest of my parts with the Motherboard having CFosSpeed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But then he would have nothing to complain about or post in this thread
I still think he should play a bunch of us so we can report what the connection is like on our end and where we are located. But then we'd probably just find out that everything is fine 90% of the time and he just focuses intensely on the occasional connection to Sweden so he can have something to tell us about.
I guess it must be boring to Shoryu all day long :p

Yeah I know it tends to vary a bit

how dare you

Except Capcom can and even done it in the pass by adding region restriction. Right now I'm building my PC and getting the rest of my parts with the Motherboard having CFosSpeed.

Region restriction is a great idea. But according to most people's experience, region matching is inherent in the existing matchmaking. I can't remember if you answered this a while ago, but do you play at odd times of day when the pool of other US players is likely to be small? How old is your current PC and network equipment?

The motherboard has packet shaping software? Is that a thing? edit: i looked it up, I guess it just comes included with the other software

I know you want your experience to be better, but I gotta say that using third party stuff to mess with your network seems just as likely to screw the game up as to improve it. We can all acknowledge that SFV is probably coded out of toothpicks and chewing gum. I wouldn't introduce additional factors if I could help it.

Edzi

I can't wait until the lag is the same as it was in SFIV so that we can hear people still complain about how laggy the game is...

Yeah, I am struggling to stay a silver league player with Alex. I love the character, but I am still pretty terrible with him.

I dropped from Gold to Super Silver with Alex, but kept grinding it out for a couple hours and managed to make it back to Gold (first time I've made it up to Gold with Alex too, feels good). It's teaching me to play a bit more patiently and to use more of his buttons. One of my biggest issues is that I suck at AAing, even with Alex's jab.

Top Bottom