• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

xabi

GGs!

As you can see, I do not have any answers to Guile. I hope we can play again soon. Maybe if I'm less tired I will be able to reign in some of my stupider impulses. The connection was perfect on my end, how about you?

Yeah the connection was great on my end too. Would love to play again sometime...

Guile is tough to play against. Definitely try to jump less at me. Guile does not have a good reversal other than ex flash kick, so don't be afraid to put more rush down pressure on me, particularly when I don't have meter

Young Magus

Also it kind of bums me out how often in Bronze people quit out after the first game. Unless it's a bad connection I ALWAYS rematch, even when it matches me up against way higher ranked players that completely destroy me. It's just points, and hopefully I'll at least learn something. Seems like most of the games I am managing to win people bounce after the first game :(. Also getting increasingly annoyed at how badly I'm choking online in terms of punishes and just dropping the ball in general. This is scrub-tier stuff so it's not worth critiquing, I just really need to play more and get my experience and muscle memory up.

Truth to all of this, especially to the bold.

Get my ass whipped like no tomorrow but always hit that rematch button.

Grifter

I've noticed the heavies wake up slower. Are wake timings recorded anywhere? Maybe my imagination with animations.

Is Ken's down+HP much better anti-air than Ryu's down+HP? Ken's hitbox seems to be much larger.

Yeah, it's like SF4-Akuma quality in a game where AA normals got harder.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah the connection was great on my end too. Would love to play again sometime...

Guile is tough to play against. Definitely try to jump less at me. Guile does not have a good reversal other than ex flash kick, so don't be afraid to put more rush down pressure on me, particularly when I don't have meter
Yeah I was totally going to try that but then I thought it would be smarter just to get hit by ex sonic boom every single time.

I hope I'll put up a better fight if I'm more awake next time. Looking forward to it!

Ketch

I must have just missed you, when I got back on it said you were offline. I'm at 1300 LP right now but that's unusually high, I usually float right around 1k as well. I probably won't be on tomorrow since I work but should be around later in the week.

Dang. If I don't catch you tomorrow it probably won't be till next week then, I'm going camping.

I've noticed the heavies wake up slower. Are wake timings recorded anywhere? Maybe my imagination with animations.

You mean startup? Or you mean after a knockdown on wakeup?
Because every move has a different startup
lights are generally 3-4 frames
mediums 5-8
heavies 9-11

Ketch

Hey another guile. Got any tips for how to deal with heavy pressure as guile? How do you balance staying mobile with down charge and How are you landing your anti airs when you don't have down charge? I feel like down hp is unreliable at a lot of ranges.

Grifter

Anyone around to fight? CFN Bizazedo?

Last pester from me for the night either way :).

I'll play a few, tho I'm working on a switch to Ryu so a bit clumsy still. CFN risottoball

There is a difference between characters, but I think the only one that's much faster than anyone else is necalli.

I checked him specifically and quick rise +3f setups work on him the same as other characters.

xabi

Hey another guile. Got any tips for how to deal with heavy pressure as guile? How do you balance staying mobile with down charge and How are you landing your anti airs when you don't have down charge? I feel like down hp is unreliable at a lot of ranges.

On heavy pressure, I try to use V Reversal, which leaves the opponent a good distance away to re establish the neutral game

On anti airs, as a rule I always hold db as early as I can on knockdown or during the animation of a move when on neutral. LK flash kick is apparently a shorter charge time, so I always use that version or EX. I find Cr HP very reliable except for far away jump ins. Back HP sometimes does the trick for those

For mobility I try to walk behind a sonic boom to wherever I want to be, and then establish charge and wait for the opponent to do something. If nothing happens, boom again, and repeat. Back LK also moves you forward nicely, and you maintain the charge. Also, back/forward MK is useful to move a little and maintain charge. The back version maintains a charge, and the forward version is slow enough that you get half a charge done, and it is -2 on block so pretty safe.

Hope that helps and happy to play at some point!

Ketch

Hmm yea, I guess I need to get used to going back into DB charge. When I first started I was doing nothing but holding down back, now I'm kind of not holding down back much at all during footsies, I guess I kind of just need to reach the half way point.

I do use the the mk and light kick command normals to move around, I just don't go back to down charge during their animations.

Edit: I'm gonna make a battle lounge right now if anybody wants to play... maybe ultra bronze and below? CFN = KetchV

Big Brett

Hmm yea, I guess I need to get used to going back into DB charge. When I first started I was doing nothing but holding down back, now I'm kind of not holding down back much at all during footsies, I guess I kind of just need to reach the half way point.

I do use the the mk and light kick command normals to move around, I just don't go back to down charge during their animations.

Edit: I'm gonna make a battle lounge right now if anybody wants to play... maybe ultra bronze and below? CFN = KetchV
Ooh invite! TheBigBrett

Also got my first rager in a while. Haha !

I just got back after a five day break from the game and I find out that the EVO stage is $10, real money only.

g600616996.gif

Ketch

I remade the battle lounge to try and get TheBigbrett in.

edit:
THE MENUS IN THIS GAME SUCK

just tryin to get everybody in the same room and it's like nah we gonna make that hard for u

MrDaravon

ggs Ketch, was probably done there anyway, it's almost 1 here. I don't know anything about playing Guile, but some observations:

-You are the most active Guile I've ever seen; dunno that this is a bad thing, but tons of jump-ins etc.

-You let me punish your V-Skill with Chun's cr.mp like a million times both on reaction and at range. That's fairly character specific but you may want to consider where you put that up at, may need a bit more space at least against some of the cast.

-You actually did super well in not getting baited into doing flash kicks on wakeup that I could punish; usually I can bait people into doing wakeup dp's etc at least sometimes, and I think it only worked with you like once, good patience on the wakeup.

I had a really hard time getting in a lot, I was mostly getting in through my cr.mp and winning out on your jump-ins, anything else on foot or attempted jump-ins by me were getting stuffed for the most part. I still don't know that matchup at all really, only thing I would suggest is maybe work on the V-Skill spacing and I'm not sure if it's safe in SFV or not, but maybe incorporate a Sonic Boom at the end of your ground strings?

Anyway good stuff, those were all super close games, still mad I choked super hard on winning a match in the last set lol. I also have no idea who that Ryu was or if that was someone from here, that guy was super random. He'd do full screen tatsus, but then also perfectly punish me with halfscreen dps and crazy CA confirms. I was pretty mindfucked, I honestly couldn't tell if he was just fucking with me or what even though I won.

Edit: Oh didn't see that you remade sorry. It's super late here I was about to get off when you originally invited me :(. I'll catch you after you get back from your trip.

Big Brett

Saw 4 bars earlier Ketch, could be from that. Dunno where you're at in the world. I'm wired in so hopefully it's not me and it's just distance lol! Distance does this game no favors. I'm east coast US

Yeah that match was rough on the lag woof :( maybe PC to ps4 is kinda bad too. Sucks! These are good matches

Big Brett

Good matches Ketch! Sorry the connection wasn't so hot. I think your Guile is quite good but you need to turtle more I'd say. I'm pretty sure Karin is a pretty rough matchup for Guile, too, so there's that haha. Anyway GGs, hope we can play again soon. Getting late here!

Ketch

GGs to both Big Brett and MrDaravon. I thought it was a pretty even match up, but I feel like Big Brett really figured me out after the first match. I won't blame it on lag, I had a lot of dumb flashkicks and execution erros and I got punished for it. I think we had really close matches MrDaravon, I'm so glad you beat that random Ryu so I didn't have to play him! LOL, I hate the Guile Ryu match up.... doesn't help that every mother fucker plays Ryu. I'll look at the tips you gave me a bit closer and respond.

Saw 4 bars earlier Ketch, could be from that. Dunno where you're at in the world. I'm wired in so hopefully it's not me and it's just distance lol! Distance does this game no favors. I'm east coast US

Yeah that match was rough on the lag woof :( maybe PC to ps4 is kinda bad too. Sucks! These are good matches

Yea I'm west coast, that's probably it, shame too. Was fun thanks for playing, your shimmy on my wake up was wrecking me and the overheads got me like every time.

MrDaravon

I'm east coast on PS4 with a wired connection and I didn't notice any lag my games with Ketch for what it's worth, so could have just been a wonky connection with the two of you.

But yeah Ketch in general I'd say you just need to turtle more and maybe be more careful with your V-Skill placement. Also a lot of the time you would put the V-Skill out and then jump over it which to be fair I certainly wasn't expecting, but not sure that's a good long term strategy. Your defense was pretty solid though like I said, even with you playing kind of oddly aggressively for Guile I was having a really hard time cracking you open, just a lot of stray hits.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Who here is based in Japan?

I'm hyped after Evo and looking to test the GAF waters...

I main Laura and will pull out a pocket Nash or Rog when I get bored/salty.

CFN ID: Bobio_JP

Ketch

I'm east coast on PS4 with a wired connection and I didn't notice any lag my games with Ketch for what it's worth, so could have just been a wonky connection with the two of you.

But yeah Ketch in general I'd say you just need to turtle more and maybe be more careful with your V-Skill placement. Also a lot of the time you would put the V-Skill out and then jump over it which to be fair I certainly wasn't expecting, but not sure that's a good long term strategy. Your defense was pretty solid though like I said, even with you playing kind of oddly aggressively for Guile I was having a really hard time cracking you open, just a lot of stray hits.

Yea we had a really good connection, so I don't know whats up.... kind of a bummer.

yea I caught onto the cr.mp towards the end of games and tried to only do it from greater range. Yea, I use the jump ins to add pressure because I don't really know any better way, also I use them to try for a cross up and to get out of the corner. I definitely shouldn't jump in as much, I need to see what other guiles do to go on the attack.

Edit:
Just watched a couple of ChrisG videos to see how he's getting in, and he does a lot of dash up lp or dash up mp, but there's also a fair bit of jump ins as well.... I don't know about the dash up... probably end up just gettin punched in the face, but I'll try it out I guess. He's probably doing dash immediately followed by back down charge and then some lp or cr.mp into sonic booms.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I dont think I have ever had a harder time in a fighting game than this fight right here in hard mode:
maxresdefault.jpg

Santamu on hard is easily the most busted character in the entire game, its not even funny. She can combo off of projectiles, has crazy fast reflexes, and her EX spear spin hits high and low, while vortexing you in. I played at least 20 matches against her before succeeding. The FM struggle is real.

I remember this.

That feel when you're playing as Guile but are handily being out-zoned. o_O

God I'm loving this game. I feel like I've somehow gotten better just by watching evo, lol.
But I'm calmer, I'm learning to relax more. I'm really watching my opponent, instead of waiting for my chance to attack.
I might be ready to hit rank again. Feels good!

God I'm loving this game. I feel like I've somehow gotten better just by watching evo, lol.
But I'm calmer, I'm learning to relax more. I'm really watching my opponent, instead of waiting for my chance to attack.
I might be ready to hit rank again. Feels good!

Evo gives inspiration for sure. I just wish they would start fixing the messed up parts. Gameplay is great, but otherwise it could be a lot better. I should start looking for some offline games.

Edit: Seems that there is a small bump in activity after/during Evo but not as high as I would have hoped. Went up from ~1750 to ~2500 players according to SteamSpy.

Evo gives inspiration for sure. I just wish they would start fixing the messed up parts. Gameplay is great, but otherwise it could be a lot better. I should start looking for some offline games.

Edit: Seems that there is a small bump in activity after/during Evo but not as high as I would have hoped. Went up from ~1750 to ~2500 players according to SteamSpy.

EVO hype is real bro. SFV was the top 10 most sold games on steam too over the last weekend. Based on their top sellers list. LI Joe selling more copies of this game than any capcom marketing team lmaooooooo!

New official post-EVO HeebyGB's Inarguable Tier List:

2thsht.png

People really coming out with their characters over the weekend. Seeing all the high level play really helped me break down a lot of the matchups and overall what the most valuable tools in this game are. Some of the high tier characters moved down a bit, and some of the low tier characters rose up. I think FANG especially is showing a higher ceiling than people were giving him credit for, and Karin is showing a few cracks.

Edit: I think putting Nash so high up is kinda reactionary.Also, Necalli is higher tier than cammy, come on. Rashid is also way too high.

Well that's not counting ps4. I've been a part of dieing fight game communities before, and SFV isn't that, lol. I would sure like those daily challenges tho... and rage quit punish for fuck's sake.
But honestly my biggest problem with the game is user side right now. Too many people just play the same 5 or 6 characters. Honestly, everytime I run into a Vega or a Dhalsim, I want to take a picture. It's like I ran into an endangered animal.

Zackat

it's cool to see people figuring out rashid and fang. I feel like it won't be too much longer before they will get a win. Especially Xian's FANG.

I think I might pick up Rashid for a bit. I am just kinda floating around in Silver with my Laura, and I already see the huge room for improvement. But Rashid seems to be getting a little better every tournament.

Top Bottom