• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboculus

A few more pics of the Skies of Honor stage:

F03ARoZ.png

rxY7Szt.jpg

PoIkWC6.jpg

43kGYYb.jpg

suJDxqw.jpg

CFN says it's Rashid's private jet being piloted by Azam.

Fox McCloud in Season 2 confirmed?

galvatron

Picked the game back up for the first time in a while

The road to super bronze begins again
lol

Haha, I might be in the same boat soon. Only popped back in to unlock all the characters and finish story mode. It's a good game, though... just been really busy.

It's not about learning the match up, it's about skewing game results and league points unnaturally.

There's a reason you can't chose your opponent in real tournaments. Whenever something is on the line (like FM and LP), you shouldn't be able to choose your opponent.

Occasional lag isn't a good enough reason to completely undermine the fundamental logic of the mode itself.

Well Matchmaking isn't suppose to be like playing a tournament. that was what Tournament mode is for from SSF4.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's to farm FM money. I'm going to keep saying this Matchmaking needs a lobby to avoid this guy as well as those who lag the game.

What if you're one of those who lag the game?

Well Matchmaking isn't suppose to be like playing a tournament. that was what Tournament mode is for from SSF4.

A ranking system based on points only works through randomly selected opponents. As it is, points don't mean everything, but they'd mean very little if people could choose who they were playing against to earn them. If you want to play for points that mean anything, you have to participate in a blind matchmaking system.

Skab

Really wish capcom would force the 2/3 matches in ranked.

So tired of people taking the points and running

FluxWaveZ

Anyone wanna play? Cfn 765production

GGs! I gave that all I had; those were some real close sets. Chun-Li is one of the reasons why I want to learn Guile; I hate having to rely on the drop kick so much, but it's the only real way to get in against her. If you mastered the ability to low profile it, I'd be screwed. I don't go against many Chun-Lis who play like you do, though. Yours reminds me of going against Chi-Rithy.

I think my Guile fared a bit better. Still a real long way to go.

Producer

GGs! I gave that all I had; those were some real close sets. Chun-Li is one of the reasons why I want to learn Guile; I hate having to rely on the drop kick so much, but it's the only real way to get in against her. If you mastered the ability to low profile it, I'd be screwed. I don't go against many Chun-Lis who play like you do, though. Yours reminds me of going against Chi-Rithy.

I think my Guile fared a bit better. Still a real long way to go.

GGs, same here man i played with all i could haha. Those matches were so draining. Yeah i was pretty free to dropkick, its tough for me but i feel like i'm slowly getting better in that matchup.

Also that was the first time going against your Balrog, hes pretty damn solid. Your Guile is improving too. Good games all around.

Alex buffs I want:

>Make EX Air Knee Smash into an invincible reversal with a ground hitbox a la SFIII (not likely, but I can dream)
>Increase Power Bomb's grab range and startup (no idea why it starts up slower than SPD or Rainbow Typhoon considering its range and strength)
>Improve V-Reversal in some way (either fix the hitbox and startup or change it into DDT)
>Make EX Air Stampede track like in SFIII and give non-EX versions their crossup hitbox back

Theorycrafting is fun!
At this point I'll settle for 5 frame power bomb startup across the board. What he really needs besides that and an EX reversal is a new v-skill. His current one is just never going to be useful enough and it really doesn't do anything to compliment his playstyle the way Ryu's, Ken's and Gief's Triggers do. I'm thinking something that would buff his next slash elbow/flash chop (regardless of strength) with extra stun while turning the opponent around. At a glance it sounds like the usual backwards facing state that leads to backdrops, but it could also be used to turn the tables while cornered since he can't combo into knockdown with his meterless slash elbows or flash chops. He could even use a stored v-skill to his advantage and do something cool like "parry->st.mp->sledgehammer->flash chop->power bomb" when cornered. Now that would be interesting and it actually compliments his playstyle.
make his cr moves cancellable at least with vtrigger without counterhit

ex stungun should track too
Gotta keep your dreams small.
A few more pics of the Skies of Honor stage:

CFN says it's Rashid's private jet being piloted by Azam.
This is a very smash-esque stage. I like it!
With Alex, I don't really want the stomp/stungun to track I think. I can already control if it goes close, medium or far. I like having the flexibility to see if there are sitting and waiting from far away and try to make them flinch.

I would like the stomp to cross up though. And for the the knee drop/stomp, I would like them to be considered airborne earlier in the start-up frames.

Also, if they made knees better (and probably his crouching HP), I could accept a nerf with his AA jab. right now I just use knees on hard reads or EX to get out of the corner if possible.

In regards to what he can do in v-trigger. Not sure. I hardly use it. I mostly use it for v-reversals.

Overall, Personally, I just hate some of the hitboxes of cross-ups/jumping attacks and how sometimes it does the non cross up cross up. Maybe jump attacks can cause less hit stun or something, so you have to hit deeper. idk.

Also, off the top of my head, Mika clap, ryu j.lk, Chun s.HP, and give some balance and make her LK anti air not so good and have to choose HK sometimes. And the DP guys shouldn't have the great AA jabs. These things need to be looked at to me. There are others. But I need to think about it more.
Stun Gun Headbutt is a perfectly good tracking candidate since it doesn't go so far as to put the opponent in a knockdown state. Having tracking on one EX special and an air hitbox on the other adds the right amount of spice. It's a good thing when EX specials have extra properties beyond better frame data or damage. Just look at how much more useful EX slash elbow is now with it's delayed super armor. EX stomp and EX stun gun are in sore need of that.

As for crossups... j.lk needs a wider horizontal hitbox because it whiffs too often as a crossup. His standing jab's hitbox needs to be fixed so that it doesn't beat crossups anymore, but making it's AA properties slightly worse would probably be enough. Karin's jab functions okay as an AA (not good, great or Ryu tier), but between that and her EX ressenha she manages to have more than one AA tool without being stupid like Ryu and Necalli.
Based on their own criteria, they failed.

If Ryu was the standard then you would expect some characters to be above him and the rest below him. If he's at the top then you screwed up. That means that based on their own standard, they over nerfed just about everyone else which is something they said they wouldn't do.

That said none of this is a major issue. If Ryu is the best or second best character then that's not a bad issue to have. It's not as bad as having a vortex character or dive kick character on top.
The "standard" nonsense was just Capcom's way of balancing the game around marketing data. People will play your game even if the mascot isn't galactus tier, Capcom.

I'd rather delete the game than be forced to play 2/3 against every Ryu and Ken player I meet. Also, the laggening already makes me quake in my boots.

Ken's normals have less hitstop than the rest of the cast. It's an attribute completely unique to Ken and it's the primary reason why he is so oppressive on offence in SF5. His normals appear to be unsafe going strictly off frame data but are actually unreasonably difficult to punish. Hence, why you see situations like *insert heavy normal here* xx v-skill, you try to punish him and he somehow gets a counter-hit jab on you despite the fact that he is ostensibly at -frames.

Yeah, no thanks, I don't need to play against the laggy Mika a second time.

Ken's normals have less hitstop than the rest of the cast. It's an attribute completely unique to Ken and it's the primary reason why he is so oppressive on offence in SF5. His normals appear to be unsafe going strictly off frame data but are actually unreasonably difficult to punish. Hence, why you see situations like *insert heavy normal here* xx v-skill, you try to punish him and he somehow gets a counter-hit jab on you despite the fact that he is ostensibly at -frames.

Yeah, no thanks, I don't need to play against the laggy Mika a second time.
Well I guess I'm biased but I don't think we should be taking away things that make characters unique. I'm pretty sure all his blocked normals canceled into run is highly punishable, even his standing hard punch. I get punished pretty severely for trying to abuse run, i don't think it's an issue honestly.

Air Tatsu is pretty derpy because it changes his trajectory so much, and overall AA needs to be fixed across the board.

But hit stop?

Meh...

Pachinko

If you force it then you also force the teleporting connections which is meh

This is something one of my friends pointed out when I suggested the same thing a week ago. Imagine you sign up for what appears to be a 5 bar ranked match, things are going well , you win ! and you get 1 rematch and suddenly your opponent is teleporting all over the place and it's more of a 1 bar connection and because of this you drop half your combos and end up losing. Do you really want to fight this guy again ? Or , if the first match runs like shit , win or lose do you really want to play in soup ?

Nah, all this game needs is some tweaked netcode , perhaps even offer a list of players no different than a battle lounge list, similar to how SF4 handled things. So you can manually search for a match that way or keep it on automatic. Then , perhaps make it so 2/3 is only an option for what the game would deem a "fair fight" , IE - this is basically all it ever finds for matches right now - the search feature makes sure that in ranked you fight people the same level as you are , failing that it searches 1 step lower and 1 step higher (so if you're ultra bronze for example, you can fight super bronze, ultra bronze and silver players). So those matches would have the 2/3 option but if you used a manual search and say (as the same ultra bronze player) you decided to fight a super silver or even a gold ranked player , they'd have the option to fight you , should you lose , it would cost you very little points , should they lose , well a lot would be on the line.

I feel adding something like this could give people more matches overall and that's all anyone really wants I think.

In other news, I loaded SFV up today because I gotta save up some fight moneys to buy that airplane stage tomorrow so I completed the weeklies and cleaned up a few other random things. Still only at 25000 or so for now but I've actually got quite a bit I can do to earn more FM (I've only cleared easy survival with 6 characters, only watched 2 demonstrations, etc).

BUT I had a casual match against a player pretty close to my level and I beat him twice so I feel pretty good about that.

Also punishing negative stuff is always rougher online, Ken has like 3 +on block normals, there's a reason his normals have those attributes. He would suck balls and run would be completely useless if it was super easy to punish him every time he's at a frame disadvantage. Just mash jab and Ken is neutralized lol...

Flux claps me out of run enough even online and punishes st.hk if I don't space it right, let alone the guys like PR rog or Filipino, you can't get away with crap, doubly so in an offline environment. Some of the changes you guys want would make characters trashy.

I'm all about that buff life! Just get rid of super Jabs and make AA more reliable across the board

Well I guess I'm biased but I don't think we should be taking away things that make characters unique. I'm pretty sure all his blocked normals canceled into run is highly punishable, even his standing hard punch. I get punished pretty severely for trying to abuse run, i don't think it's an issue honestly.

Air Tatsu is pretty derpy because it changes his trajectory so much, and overall AA needs to be fixed across the board.

But hit stop?

Meh...

Quite a large number of pros would disagree with you. Ken is considered top tier and it's primarily because of the combination of the highest combo damage in the game and the difficulty of punishing his offence.

That's ignoring the fact that incorporating, intentionally or unintentionally, such a bizarre and elliptical mechanic as a 'unique' attribute of a character is just poor game design. It defies the core rules of the game and it's confusing for newbies and intermediate players alike.

Moaradin

I don't mind it since pretty much everyone plays 2/3 anyways. I'm always surprised when someone quits out since it's been so rare.

Spman2099

Quite a large number of pros would disagree with you. Ken is considered top tier and it's primarily because of the combination of the highest combo damage in the game and the difficulty of punishing his offence.

That's ignoring the fact that incorporating, intentionally or unintentionally, such a bizarre and elliptical mechanic as a 'unique' attribute of a character is just poor game design. It defies the core rules of the game and it's confusing for newbies and intermediate players alike.

Can we stop it with this sort of crap? I see this kind of comment WAY too often. Not everything you disagree with is "poor game design".

I don't mind it since pretty much everyone plays 2/3 anyways. I'm always surprised when someone quits out since it's been so rare.

I have been staying with friends who live in the country for the last couple of weeks. Their internet isn't great. More often than not people don't take the rematch. However, back home, where my internet is great, almost everyone takes the rematch. I feel like there is a reason for this...

mbpm1

Exceptions in fighting games are what make them unique.and fun

But then I'm into KI where every character basically has one or even two totally character specific subsystems built into them so

Vice

Pros complain a lot about things they don't like the same way average players do. The ones who do well look at Ken, and other character's, and see what they have that they can exploit to win.
His offense is punishable, but it usually requires either game knowledge or good reactions.if a player has difficulty punishing Ken's run stuff it may be because they aren't reacting quickly enough. I've had to grind out punishes for super slow stuff like Urien's ex headbutt and Balrog's overhead v-skill in the past. But, nerfing his run offense would make him pretty bad. Most things are already -3 and a lot of the common Ken run things are highly negative and can be punished with most characters medium or heavy buttons.

Marvel

could never
Best feeling is getting your ass kicked, losing a game and coming back two w's to win the set because you straight figured out what they were doing or going to do.

Best feeling is getting your ass kicked, losing a game and coming back two w's to win the set because you straight figured out what they were doing or going to do.
Lol, that literally just happened to me only he backed out of the rematch when I won one.

Can we stop it with this sort of crap? I see this kind of comment WAY too often. Not everything you disagree with is "poor game design".

I provided a perfectly reasonable rationale for asserting that it is poor game design. Ken is the only character in the game that has the property of reduced hitstop and there's nothing in the game itself that alerts the player of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom