• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraeon

SFV does have this concept. It happened during the beta, I think. There were two versions of one character and they changed it quickly.

There was a version of the game where picking Alex and then quickly switching away meant that you could have a previous version of a character that had some glitches and option selects that were already fixed by that point. It wasn't like you were actually meant to do that.

Thing keeps pausing and unpausing constantly for me but what I heard sounds okay and fits SFV IMO. Has similiar sound effects etc. than everyone elses theme.

You might be right actually. Well we will see ones the update hits.

What you think Birdie needs? Because I honestly don't think he needs to be changed much.
The file for the bgm is like 12 MB so maybe it's just your internet lol.

I already posted this on that season 2 change thread but it seems like CCs give more V-meter. Perhaps something like a buff to Birdie's v-meter gain would be terrific.

Birdie becomes capable of beating every character in the game when he has V-Trigger and being able to access it earlier would be fanastic so I think a V-skill buff would be great. It forces the opponent to pressure and if they don't do it right, you're getting more and more of an advantage without doing any damage.

What you think Birdie needs? Because I honestly don't think he needs to be changed much.

Medium chain grab should go full screen. It's currently a useless move.
I'd like the startup of the chain stance improved too. I'm fine with the chain throw itself being slowed down to compensate. As it stands he has a chain stance cancel which is totally useless.
It sounds like normal BR has been sped up a bit, which was needed as they were, again, nearly-useless moves.
Bull horn changed to dragon punch motion. Having a character who relies on using all his buttons have to hold down buttons to actually use a special move is idiotic.
Donut startup sped up by a few frames to make it a worthwhile version of his v-skill. It's a fake-out and should work as such.

Anything else is gravy, but I want his currently bad moves improved to be non-gimmick parts of his strategy. As it stands Birdie and Gief are the two characters that stick out to me as the most unfinished and unbalanced of the main cast (with Juri filling that role for the DLC) so I expected them to get the MOST changes, not, in Birdie's case, the least.

Basically, I want what was promised with Birdie - a semi-grappler with lots of options but slow walk speed, instead of a character that relies 100% on flipping a honest/dishonest switch half way through the match.

Akuma's official page on Capcom's site is up. You can get a small sample of his theme here (different from the stage theme)

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfv/chara_goki.html

EDIT: NOT A FAN. Too much electronic, really sounds like something that would fit in SF4.
Sounds okay in places, but they took a dump on it like they did with Cammy's and Bison's theme. At least it's not another remix of the Ryu composition à la IV.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There was a version of the game where picking Alex and then quickly switching away meant that you could have a previous version of a character that had some glitches and option selects that were already fixed by that point. It wasn't like you were actually meant to do that.
But they don't overwrite them, they have a file structure to handle multiple versions of characters. The bug was actually that they made a mistake with his files.
All I'm saying is they could probably solve the trial problem that way.

At least it's not another remix of the Ryu composition à la IV.

Akuma's SF4 theme is not a remix. For some reason the game uses his Ryu vs Akuma theme as his character theme when you set that flag in the options, though.

Akuma's actual SF4 theme is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTD3LhS7TXE
Gouken has the same issue, his actual theme is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sinVFTQGfuE

The reason for the weirdness is down to vanilla not having all characters having their own unique theme. Fei used Rufus' theme, as folks might recall. That was carried over to SSF4, but all characters got their own theme. But weirdly, this meant Akuma and Gouken had two versions of their theme - the theme of them fighting Ryu and their own theme. And for WHATEVER reason, DIMPS decided that their vs Ryu themes were their correct themes and their actual themes were not.

myco666

The file for the bgm is like 12 MB so maybe it's just your internet lol.

I already posted this on that season 2 change thread but it seems like CCs give more V-meter. Perhaps something like a buff to Birdie's v-meter gain would be terrific.

Birdie becomes capable of beating every character in the game when he has V-Trigger and being able to access it earlier would be fanastic so I think a V-skill buff would be great. It forces the opponent to pressure and if they don't do it right, you're getting more and more of an advantage without doing any damage.

Could be that lol.

Yeah I read your post and if it is true that v-meter gain is faster then he becomes way better.

Medium chain grab should go full screen. It's currently a useless move.
I'd like the startup of the chain stance improved too. I'm fine with the chain throw itself being slowed down to compensate. As it stands he has a chain stance cancel which is totally useless.
It sounds like normal BR has been sped up a bit, which was needed as they were, again, nearly-useless moves.
Bull horn changed to dragon punch motion. Having a character who relies on using all his buttons have to hold down buttons to actually use a special move is idiotic.
Donut startup sped up by a few frames to make it a worthwhile version of his v-skill. It's a fake-out and should work as such.

Anything else is gravy, but I want his currently bad moves improved to be non-gimmick parts of his strategy. As it stands Birdie and Gief are the two characters that stick out to me as the most unfinished and unbalanced of the main cast (with Juri filling that role for the DLC) so I expected them to get the MOST changes, not, in Birdie's case, the least.

Basically, I want what was promised with Birdie - a semi-grappler with lots of options but slow walk speed.

I would be fine with those changes but not sure if necessary. Bullhorn being motion would be fantastic though.

m.chain has it uses. When you play against characters like Gief it is better to throw them away instead of getting them right in front of you.

Chain cancel is kinda gimmicky but it can bait out stuff like jumpins or dashups that you can hit with Bullhorn if you cancel the chain.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Nah, there's no concept of different seasons being selectable in SF5 as far as we know. SSF4AE implemented that functionality for the SF4 series.

We'll get updated trials unless Capcom really Capcpom their way through this release. Fixing a trial to match balance changes is gonna be easier than making the game be able to load up two different movesets for a character.

And yeah, absolutely no relevant Birdie news. So I'm assuming he's near-identical. :\

Fingers crossed the reason nobody spotted Birdie changes was due to nobody testing out his less good stuff like donut and chain.

All of the old version frame data is still saved locally for SF5. It has to be there in order for old replays to work.

Wouldn't be hard to put in a version toggle for trial mode if needed.

I think Mika and Chun will both be okay tbh.

When Mika gets you into the corner it's sounding like it's still ggs. Chun is gonna be the AE2012 Yun -> Ultra Yun of the game of we never want this character to be bad ever. They just gotta work a bit harder like the rest of the cast.

DP's losing invincibility is an indirect buff to Mika and Laura IMO, less double guessing yourself and more meaties.

Necalli not changing much kinda irks me but there's still time for him to change
capcom pls

I can understand all the complaints but the netcode really? I played over 3000 matches online on SFV and i would say less than 100 hundred of them got a bad lag and maybe less than 400 had a slight rollback (I'm making up the numbers but what i meant is it rarely happens).

I'll just post this It's been almost a year and people still don't know how SFV's netcode work.

You can play on Wifi, download have a slow PC or do all 3 at the same time and not experience any rollback. But most likely the other player will get all the lag.

We haven't gotten a lot of the more in depth framedata for a lot of characters, and for some characters, we still have no real idea how they're buffing them.

Necalli's offense and frametrap game is always going to be strong but at least now his defense is still beatable.

Moaradin

I'll just post this It's been almost a year and people still don't know how SFV's netcode work.

You can play on Wifi, download have a slow PC or do all 3 at the same time and not experience any rollback. But most likely the other player will get all the lag.

Yes that's a thing that happens but very rarely. It's not something you see in every match. Still, they need to fix it. Especially for people who abuse it intentionally.

Zackat

I wonder if they're going to reset the leaderboards for S2.
Having played MOBA for a while, they shouldn't do a full reset. They could just do a rank squish of some sort.

Having platinum players going against bronze isn't fun for either party.

Moaradin

Having played MOBA for a while, they shouldn't do a full reset. They could just do a rank squish of some sort.

Having platinum players going against bronze isn't fun for either party.

That doesnt happen anymore though. When I was platinum, the lowest I ever got was gold.

That doesnt happen anymore though. When I was platinum, the lowest I ever got was gold.

I think he means right after the reset, when everyone is the same rank. For like a week or two, new or currently bronze/silver players will be getting wrecked by the better ones who are going to reach platinum fairly soon.

Fighting games are an easy genre to get mad at, and if a fighting game makes mistakes as a product, then it's an easy target for those that haven't had success with the game.

I know this isn't the case for all criticisms for the game, but people usually have to have a chip on their shoulder about something to criticize it continuously rather than just walk away. People fail at the game, then they want to see the game itself fail, and it creates its own loop of pessimism and confirmation bias.
Definitely had a situation like this, but to get back to SFV gameplay, I'll just PM you.

What's the update on balance changes tho? the pro players liking it?

At least that announcement will kill every "Oro, Ed, Viper, and Abel will be in Season 2 otherwise they wouldn't have put them in the story mode" post.

Nah, they'll just say "BUT SEASON 3 CHARACTERS ARE A LOCK NOW"

Definitely had a situation like this, but to get back to SFV gameplay, I'll just PM you.

What's the update on balance changes tho? the pro players liking it?

Seems like most people are enjoying it. One thing I'd like to confirm is if the game actually got slightly slower or not. I think that'd be a good way of dealing with input lag, but could have just been the monitors.

Wouldn't the game being slower be a bit of a nerf to the more fast-paced,explosive characters like Ken, Ibuki?

I personally hope that's not the case.

Ibuki's existence in this game is a nerf to herself.

randomly I saw a tumble post with a rundown of her jump medium punch in every game she's been in (including pocket fighter) and SFV is the worst one yet in terms of hit box. It's like She's bad just because, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom