• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had my greatest day yet. Went from 1500 LP to 1800 LP (my closest to silver!) after bopping this foolish Gold Ryu. Maybe someone who is a high level (or higher level than me) can explain why people online play so stupidly? I don't mean this to be rude but 99% of the time I play someone who is twice my rank they try to just straight gimmick me. This works long enough to win them 1 match (at best), then I get the runback, 2-1. They wasted what precious time they could have used learning to try to just squeeze out some cheap victories (which by the by, net them like 10-30 lp). As a Vega, it's very obvious to me people have low matchup knowledge against me. Why not try to solve that problem? Why is this lazy attitude so prevalent? When I play against a rookie I give them the benefit of the doubt first. Two weeks ago I literally perfected a gold Urien who just didn't understand that his gimmicks were too obvious. Had he used some fundamentals, probably would not be the case. eh... rant over..
If a person made it to Gold but is still idling there and hasn't improved, then they simply don't know how to actually play Street Fighter. I feel like Gold/Super Gold is really the plateau for gimmicks.

The players above that level are the people who can play the game and know how to deal with the gimmicks.
Apparently Necalli is barely changed in the PSX version aside from the universal throw/damage/dp nerfs.

Might not need to move from him much after all
Not having access to an invincible reversal means that he's gonna have to block and maybe even use V-Reversal more so that's good. The damage was really thing that ALWAYS fucking irked me though.

Spend 50 seconds successfully keeping him out and playing some footsies. Then he hits me once, I'm in the corner and in 5 seconds, I'm dead.

mbpm1

omg Ono's daughter..

I'm so sad to hear that. Sad for anybody I know, and of course I don't know Ono personally but he is just such a cheerful, happy-looking guy... :( I wish him the best, what little that means on this forum.. What a depressing post though. If only this would inspire people to be 1% nicer to the Capcom dev team. You know, them being human beings and all.

I believe it was Ono's dog.

Still rough, but at least 14 years is a good life for a pup.

Skilletor

If a person made it to Gold but is still idling there and hasn't improved, then they simply don't know how to actually play Street Fighter. I feel like Gold/Super Gold is really the plateau for gimmicks.

The players above that level are the people who can play the game and know how to deal with the gimmicks.

:(

(Still super gold :()

I play with plats/diamonds regularly. Can win against good players, but I'm definitely at a wall in my league.

:(

(Still super gold :()

I play with plats/diamonds regularly. Can win against good players, but I'm definitely at a wall in my league.
I only meant that players who use gimmicks can only get to super gold at best, not that that applies to all players.

I really wouldn't sweat rank too much for this game honestly. I've played Diamonds that left me flabbergasted with just how much abusable stuff ( and punishable) stuff they were doing. Ken players literally only using b+mp or st.hk, Chun players that almost exclusively did IAL legs (I swear, I AA'd like 9 IAL in that round with cr.mk), Gief players THAT JUST. WOULD. NOT . STOP . SPDing and Vega players that just abused the f+hp.

RK9039

Not having access to an invincible reversal means that he's gonna have to block and maybe even use V-Reversal more so that's good. The damage was really thing that ALWAYS fucking irked me though.

Spend 50 seconds successfully keeping him out and playing some footsies. Then he hits me once, I'm in the corner and in 5 seconds, I'm dead.

Yeah this is me basically, I've hit a wall at Super/Ultra Gold. I'm still learning though, I even beat a few platinum players in rematches after figuring out their patterns.

mbpm1

the damage nerfs are only rather slight I heard. The dp master Phenom didn't seem too troubled by his changes either.

Sorry I couldn't get you guys more info, I honestly tried :(

The lack of info put out by Capcom about Season 2 at PSX.... well was kind of worrisome.

A part of me feels like they're aware next year is a crazy year for major fighting game releases... so put the push on Marvel over Street Fighter.

Skilletor

I only meant that players who use gimmicks can only get to super gold at best, not that that applies to all players.

I really wouldn't sweat rank too much for this game honestly. I've played Diamonds that left me flabbergasted with just how much abusable stuff ( and punishable) stuff they were doing. Ken players literally only using b+mp or st.hk, Chun players that almost exclusively did IAL legs (I swear, I AA'd like 9 IAL in that round with cr.mk), Gief players THAT JUST. WOULD. NOT . STOP . SPDing and Vega players that just abused the f+hp.

Nah, I got you. lol. Just messing.

I don't care about rank, since I mostly play in lobbies with friends.

The lack of info put out by Capcom about Season 2 at PSX.... well was kind of worrisome.

A part of me feels like they're aware next year is a crazy year for major fighting game releases... so put the push on Marvel over Street Fighter.

I don't think it's finalized just yet, so they probably don't want to start detailing everything if it's not set in stone.

JayEH

It is very disappointing on the lack major changes announced for the game but I'll give them a week or two but this doesn't seem like the soft reboot I thought for sure would happen.

I think that this may partly be explained by the fact that they also announced MvC:I. They might be trying to spread out the release of information a bit, to ensure that the SFV stuff doesn't get completely overshadowed by MvC:I. Or it could of course just be Capcom being Capcom. And as TheSpoiler suggests, they are probably putting it off until the last moment, so that they can keep working on it til the very last moment.

JayEH

There is a Chen interview at the end with du in the ESPN broadcast. Du said he played mika against ricki but not MOV because he changed it based on the player not the character. Nice to hear him say that because for the past few months all you heard was this game had no play style variation, etc.

And people really shouldn't expect things like two CAs or new VSkills. If the tweaks in place already go live, that's going to give way more character variance than before and force people to start using the V stuff into their gameplay (like with Ryu getting faster normals in his VTrigger mode).

Shadoken

I wonder how much they would really change from psx build to patch. Can't be anything major.

Given how soon its coming , I doubt it will be anything big.

My guess is that , we might receive more balance changes next month too. Up until CPT 2017 season starts in March? I guess.

That horrible health regen, Zangief you were already low tier Capcom just wanted to make sure you are now shit tier, they better change his V-skill

Given how soon its coming , I doubt it will be anything big.

My guess is that , we might receive more balance changes next month too. Up until CPT 2017 season starts in March? I guess.
I gave my theory in that other thread.

My theory is that we're gonna get a balancing patch post EVO and another one post Capcom Cup. If the 2017 season pass has 6 new characters, and one of them is already released before the year even starts then that implies that they're probably gonna have all the characters out by the middle of the year, around June most likely.

This leaves them more than enough time to add/remove/balance stuff by mid-year and then again at the end of the year.

And people really shouldn't expect things like two CAs or new VSkills. If the tweaks in place already go live, that's going to give way more character variance than before and force people to start using the V stuff into their gameplay (like with Ryu getting faster normals in his VTrigger mode).

Yeah but I would expect some basic quality of life changes... give player 2 the option to rematch- give us the ability to chose character themes offline- add D-input to the PC version already (this was reported to them back in the beta)- fix the Wacom tablet crash on the PC version (another thing reported in the beta)- add keyboard rebinding to the PC version

... Extra Battle mode was supposed to be this year- is it just cut or what? What about Arcade mode? PSX was the stage to hold a panel with Ono and Takayuki about this stuff- instead we get a slide with Akuma and maybe 5 new guys or maybe just new to the SF Universe and not really brand new. That's not how you turn around the bad image of your game....

Yeah but I would expect some basic quality of life changes... give player 2 the option to rematch- give us the ability to chose character themes offline- add D-input to the PC version already (this was reported to them back in the beta)- fix the Wacom tablet crash on the PC version (another thing reported in the beta)- add keyboard rebinding to the PC version

... Extra Battle mode was supposed to be this year- is it just cut or what? What about Arcade mode? PSX was the stage to hold a panel with Ono and Takayuki about this stuff- instead we get a slide with Akuma and maybe 5 new guys or maybe just new to the SF Universe and not really brand new. That's not how you turn around the bad image of your game....

QoL stuff could still be coming. We get patches every month, so I wouldn't put it past them even if it doesn't come in the patch at the end of the month. Extra Battle mode should have been this year, definitely. Crazy that they haven't said anything about it yet. Same with Arcade when it's on the damn disc files.

capcom should just port Reaper in.

... cause blizzard will never make a fighting game ;_;

ah-garrosh-overwatch-10-27-15.jpg

capcom should just port Reaper in.

... cause blizzard will never make a fighting game ;_;
They're just massive teases. EDIT: Ack, beaten by ScraftyDevil.

Why would you pray for that.

That's what I want.

Akuma, Necalli , bison, Juri and Rog need friends on my bad guy edgy playist
But none of them are edgelords though. They're just bad guys.

Necalli's an imbecile but that's a different story.
Nash is the only real edgelord, the others are evil or masochistic or whatever. He is...yeah
Yup, so far Nash is the only edgelord in SF5.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Nash is the only real edgelord, the others are evil or masochistic or whatever. He is...yeah

mbpm1

Necalli might not be an edgelord, but he fills that niche as well as if he was. It's good stuff.

Akuma's definitely the og edgelord character though

Village

I wouldn't say bison or rog are edgy

Bison is an evil dictator that wears all red weilds the litteral power of psychopathy and bad feelings, and his entire goal is to rule the world with his bad feelings because he wants to make you feel bad, and finds all other emotions weak and pointless.

Rog is a boxer's who entire angle is " I kill people"

They are two of the edgiest characters in street fighter

They're just massive teases.

But none of them are edgelords though. They're just bad guys.

Necalli's an imbecile but that's a different story.

Excluding the two I just explained.

Akuma is literally the edgiest dude in street fighter, who just decided he wanted to be a demon.

Necalli is an ancient spirit who fights strong warriors who's powers is to go super sayan.

Juri... Just everything about Juri. She's just evil( anti hero I guess) masochist edgy chun li.

You can't pick and choose the edge man.

Almost every character that isn't, fighting for fighting sake falls under the term edgelord in street fighter.

Street fighter edgy as shit. Or are we pretending it isn't or something.

Urien is so edgy when he does his moves, it sounds like a damn sword.

mbpm1

Holy shit, yeah Zangief is going to need a buff for sure now.

I'm looking at Chun Li "I hit fierce for breakfast lunch and dinner and if I don't i hit medium punch or kick" and imagining how much grey life she can build and maintain now

Well, as good a time as ever to make the switch

Bison is an evil dictator that wears all red weilds the litteral power of psychopathy and bad feelings, and his entire goal is to rule the world with his bad feelings because he wants to make you feel bad, and finds all other emotions weak and pointless.

They are two of the edgiest characters in street fighter

Excluding the two I just explained.

Akuma is literally the edgiest dude in street fighter, who just decided he wanted to be a demon.

Necalli is an ancient spirit who fights strong warriors who's powers is to go super sayan.

Juri... Just everything about Juri. She's just evil( anti hero I guess) masochist edgy chun li.
Akuma. I'll give you Akuma, dude is edgy AF now that I think about it but not the others.

Bison wants power and he believes himself to be worthy of it. A person can be a badass who wants to dominatae and still not be edgy, it's a bit tough to explain honestly.

Rog's thing is actually his greed. He DOES kill people but does so for his benefit, it's pretty much why he's with Shadaloo. Hell in SF5's story mode he only helps the Illuminati in exchange for money. His personal likes in the loading screen say women and money. He's not particularly bright but when it comes to fighting, he's one of the best.

Necalli is an illiterate idiot that's not quite human. His sole purpose is to devour but he's literally the worst because he doesn't have a personality, edgelord or other wise.

Juri is a bit edgy sure, but she's mainly just an anti hero which doesn't necessarily fit the bill. Though she does have a bike that can travel across oceans within hours.

Also edge != evil.

They are two of the edgiest characters in street fighter.

Both are way too hammy to be edgy, though. Neither one exudes the air of "nothing personnel, kid" that's required in a truly edgy character.

Neither broods, neither has a "tragic past" or w/e and neither make you cringe with their mannerisms or dialogue. They're more akin to goofy Saturday morning cartoon villains than "edgy" bad guys like Akuma and arguably Seth.

Village

Both are way too hammy to be edgy, though. Neither one exudes the air of "nothing personnel, kid" that's required in a truly edgy character.

Oh no. You sweet child.

Cheese is apart of the edge.

Reaper is the chesist dumbest thing in the history of FPS but he's the edgiest character in that game. He's a fucking skeleton with shotguns. Cheese and edge go hand and in hand, its like when you are playing batman and realize you are some weirdo in a fucking batsuit. Cheese is edge , edge is cheese.

Neither broods, neither has a "tragic past" or w/e and neither make you cringe with their mannerisms or dialogue. They're more akin to goofy Saturday morning cartoon villains than "edgy" bad guys like Akuma and arguably Seth.

You don't need to have a tragic past to be edgy, you just need to be edgy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom