• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't anyone talking about the Mika nerf, no longer can corny carry from mid-screen anymore...That seems huge

We've already talked about it but it's not as bad as people claim. She can no longer get you to the corner from anywhere on the stage with just a single irish whip and meter but she can still follow up a non-bounce irish whip with decent followup by dashing forward instead.

Also, her irish whip still bounces in the corner so her corner game is just as dangerous as it always was, maybe more so now with the removal of meterless invincible DPs.

She's still gonna be an incredibly strong character, mark my words.

Oh no. You sweet child.

Cheese is apart of the edge.

Reaper is the chesist dumbest thing in the history of FPS but he's the edgiest character in that game. He's a fucking skeleton with shotguns. Cheese and edge go hand and in hand, its like when you are playing batman and realize you are some weirdo in a fucking batsuit. Cheese is edge , edge is cheese.

You don't need to have a tragic past to be edgy, you just need to be edgy.

I was just listing several elements that could potentially contribute to a character being perceived as edgy, so you didn't really rebut anything I said :B

No amount of condescending diminutives will change the fact that your argument has no leg to stand on.

I was just listing several elements that could potentially contribute to a character being perceived as edgy, so you didn't really rebut anything I said :B

No amount of condescending diminutives will change the fact that your argument has no leg to stand on.
I just realized, Village is an edgelord. His first sentence in that post was basically "nothing personnel, kid".

mbpm1

Edge is a state of mind my friends.

I vote that Balrog maybe have elements of edginess, but ultimately lacks something to be promoted to edgelord and resides in the lower ecehlons of edgeknight.

Bison, Necalli, and Akuma definitely fall into that tier I think.

Juri is a maybe. She has too much sex appeal. Edge baroness?

Village

Akuma. I'll give you Akuma, dude is edgy AF now that I think about it but not the others.

Bison wants power and he believes himself to be worthy of it. A person can be a badass who wants to dominatae and still not be edgy, it's a bit tough to explain honestly.
Bison wants to literally take over the world with the power of bad feelings, that is some kingdom hearts organization 13 shit. That is some " don't give into the darkness riku shit" Bison is an edgelord who wants to take over the world with bad feelings and wears skulls all the time.

Rog's thing is actually his greed. He DOES kill people but does so for his benefit, it's pretty much why he's with Shadaloo. Hell in SF5's story mode he only helps the Illuminati in exchange for money. His personal likes in the loading screen say women and money. He's not particularly bright but when it comes to fighting, he's one of the best.
You have yet to explain why he isn't edgy. This is the man who killed an elephant because " fuck it"

Necalli is an illiterate idiot that's not quite human. His sole purpose is to devour but he's literally the worst because he doesn't have a personality, edgelord or other wise.

Necalli litterally is a super saiyan ghost. He's litterally broly, but everyone is kakorot.
Juri is a bit edgy sure, but she's mainly just an anti hero which doesn't necessarily fit the bill. Though she does have a bike that can travel across oceans within hours.
She fits the bill, Spider motif, evil take of another character that exists, masochist, eyepatch and a power that involves one eye.

I just realized, Village is an edgelord. His first sentence in that post was basically "nothing personnel, kid".

Oh yeah, 100%. He once argued that I must hate all kids because I don't like the character of Ken in Persona 3 so I'm used to his leaps of logic and fallacious arguments :p

Oh yes how I forget.

Hmmm ok I knew he lost it but didn't know exactly why. Still I don't think he's some edgy guy who enjoys killing people. He enjoys money.
Oh, yeah, I wasn't agreeing that he's edgy. Just that he killed at least one guy. He's all about the money.

ElFly

at least nuckledu used the irish whip to corner carry sometimes but he wasn't based around that, so, all other things equal, Mika is still really good

ofc all other things equal is a huge assumption

Shadoken

I gave my theory in that other thread.

Idk how i feel about post EVO patch. When I said we might receive changes in Jan/Feb , I meant minor changes. Since they didnt beta test this changelist at all.

Like If we got a post EVO patch this year , someone like Nash would have received huge nerfs and some characters like Guile might have got big buffs. But towards the end of year we slowly saw how both these characters move up and down.

Now granted we got a lag reduction change post EVO , which is pretty big for the competitive scene.

Let us pray that none of the new characters are edgelords.

God forbid we get another Remy *shudders*

psssst nothing personell kid but Remy isnt edgelord , hes emo. Edgelords are great Akuma,Nash,Juri,Evil Ryu... They end up being the most popular. Remy on the other hand is umm ... not.

Village

1) wasn't trying to be condescending , sorry.

2) Well yeah, edgy has lost all meaning and changes from person to person, so this argument is in all meaningless really.

There are people who think the inclusion of people who look different from them in a video game is " edgy" So yeah none of us have an argument to stand on. Its a word that's lost a lot of meaning in a modern context that ranges, from character who is vuagley angry to " something I don't like". I've litterally seen people call karin, edgy sakura.

That word is meaningless and I thought we were having a fun argument.

Health gen was already really slow in season 1, and that never stopped Gief players from using V-skill.

Have you ever tried to actively let your white life regen in a real fight as Gief? If your opponent doesn't run away for a good 10 seconds, it's basically impossible.

So, this change really won't do as much to affect Gief's V-skill as you all think...because, honestly, Giefs already had no intention of regaining that life in Season 1. It's a write off in exchange for a parry.

Bison wants to literally take over the world with the power of bad feelings, that is some kingdom hearts organization 13 shit. That is some " don't give into the darkness riku shit" Bison is an edgelord who wants to take over the world with bad feelings and wears skulls all the time.

You have yet to explain why he isn't edgy. This is the man who killed an elephant because " fuck it"

Necalli litterally is a super saiyan ghost. He's litterally broly, but everyone is kakorot.

She fits the bill, Spider motif, evil take of another character that exists, masochist, eyepatch and a power that involves one eye.
So basically,"We're all edgelords now".

psssst nothing personell kid but Remy isnt edgelord , hes emo. Edgelords are great Akuma,Nash,Juri,Evil Ryu... They end up being the most popular. Remy on the other hand is umm ... not.
I'd personally classify him as an emo edgelord. Sure he had that brooding sense of "fuck everything" but he actively wanted people to hurt and stuff which is the mark of an edgelord. You can get away with one or the other but having both? Yeesh.

And Evil Ryu was definitely an edge lord.

HiResDes

I think one of the new characters might be Ed, because they haven't done anything with him and his brief appearances would otherwise really be kind of pointless as it doesn't even serve as fanservice.

Village

I mean kinda? Joking around is fun, but to be serious... kinda? Remember a lot of SF designers are kind of suppoused to hit home in a teen aged demopgraphic. Karate-men shooting blasts. Demons super wrestlers, its all kind of " edgy " when you think about it.

Except Dan, Dan is too good for this world.

Oh yeah, 100%. He once argued that I must hate all kids because I don't like the character of Ken in Persona 3 so I'm used to his leaps of logic and fallacious arguments :p

I didn't I argued that Ken did nothing wrong.

And I'n not wrong. That child is innocent.

I wish. I'm too nice.

ElFly

Health gen was already really slow in season 1, and that never stopped Gief players from using V-skill.

Have you ever tried to actively let your white life regen in a real fight as Gief? If your opponent doesn't run away for a good 10 seconds, it's basically impossible.

So, this change really won't do as much to affect Gief's V-skill as you all think...because, honestly, Giefs already had no intention of regaining that life in Season 1. It's a write off in exchange for a parry.

normally you could recover most of it if you can land a spd and not get hit afterwards

mbpm1

I heard the rumour about Satsuki being one of the characters.

Swords are cool, so I'd definitely be interested if it was her.

remz

Wasnt Remy technically a pacifist?

I like his weird "pain is a poor substitute for a vitality guage!" quote

Shadoken

Juri is a bit edgy sure, but she's mainly just an anti hero which doesn't necessarily fit the bill. Though she does have a bike that can travel across oceans within hours.

pffffttt..... Lets see the edgelord Checklist.

a) Likes killing? Check
b) Likes Death? Check
c) Likes Purple ( Cool kind not the gay one ) ? Check

She is Edgelady of SF.

I'd personally classify him as an emo edgelord. Sure he had that brooding sense of "fuck everything" but he actively wanted people to hurt and stuff which is the mark of an edgelord. You can get away with one or the other but having both? Yeesh.

And Evil Ryu was definitely an edge lord.

Wait wut? I think you got the wrong impression. He was completely against Fighting ..etc and hates it because his dad left him for fighting or w/e.

Tahts EMO 101 son.

Village

Wasnt Remy technically a pacifist?

I like his weird "pain is a poor substitute for a vitality guage!" quote

Remy is an odd pile of " we want the female fanbase to like this character tropes"

I like his design and his moveset. I will not defend the mans character.

I mean kinda? Joking around is fun, but to be serious... kinda? Remember a lot of SF designers are kind of suppoused to hit home in a teen aged demopgraphic. Karate-men shooting blasts. Demons super wrestlers, its all kind of " edgy " when you think about it.

Except Dan, Dan is too good for this world.

I didn't I argued that Ken did nothing wrong.

And I'n not wrong. That child is innocent.

I wish. I'm too nice.
If you judge just from brand new characters in SF5 then we've gotten a real mixed bag in terms of their target demographics.

We have a character that was designed by a four year old (Necalli), a cartoon villain (FANG), a middle eastern guy who uses the latest technology and is rich and cares for his friends, and a brazillian jiu-jitsu artist who dresses incredibly inappropriately but storywise is an incredibly strong character.

It's all over the place.

pffffttt..... Lets see the edgelord Checklist.

a) Likes killing? Check
b) Likes Death? Check
c) Likes Purple ( Cool kind not the gay one ) ? Check

She is Edgelady of SF.

Wait wut? I think you got the wrong impression. He was completely against Fighting ..etc and hates it because his dad left him for fighting or w/e.

Tahts EMO 101 son.
I will admit. Juri is an edgelord. But her masochism allows her to (almost) get away with it.

Remy is indeed emo first but has a slight tinge of edginess.

Shadoken

Remy is an odd pile of " we want the female fanbase to like this character tropes"

I like his design and his moveset. I will not defend the mans character.

Pretty much. I never liked his design at all , but his play style is actually super fun. Hes like Nash but much faster.

Village

Whoa whoah Whoah, woolie was like 29 years old when he designed necalli.

But yeah SfV is all over the place, I don't find any of the new guys boring. Like abel and I don't hate anyone, like Rufus, so its better than 4's set of newcomers. By vurtue of quality distribution , IMO anyway.

You know what the DLC could use, and what this game kind of lacks.

Old man character. Yeah you could kind of count bison but we don't know how old he actually is and the man switches bodies. And I guess you can count him as an oldman kinda, but much like the devil gene in tekken, it seems to be aging him slowly.

Just an old guy. Not gotestu , let him stay murdered. Let akuma have one murder to his name

I'll have you know he could be at least 8 years old starting elementary school.
Ahh my bad. I wonder if Necalli's speech will improve alongside his creator's.

But yeah SfV is all over the place, I don't find any of the new guys boring. Like abel and I don't hate anyone, like Rufus, so its better than 4's set of newcomers. By vurtue of quality distribution , IMO anyway.

Old man character. Yeah you could kind of count bison but we don't know how old he actually is and the man switches bodies. And I guess you can count him as an oldman kinda, but much like the devil gene in tekken, it seems to be aging him slowly.

Just an old guy. Not gotestu , let him stay murdered. Let akuma have one murder to his name
Add Eagle but give him graying hair.

Mizerman

that one thing where someone guessed the characters and it made some rounds through a few sites.

there's no evidence, it's a guess, but I'd like it to be true either ways.

It wouldn't be implausible seeing as most of the Dolls would technically be considered "new" characters.

Village

Pretty much. I never liked his design at all , but his play style is actually super fun. Hes like Nash but much faster.

I like his design design wise , him Yun and Yang I found to be interesting changes of pace from the beefy guys in sf. Even Vega is kind of beefy, but Yun yang and Remy were kind of skinny lean, more fei long-ish. I would like more variants in body types than, beef, and MORE BEEF.

I would like to see more variants in female size as well, I would kill for like a zaria sized woman. But it wont happen in street fighter sadly enough.

Scotia

Banned
It wouldn't be implausible seeing as most of the Dolls would technically be considered "new" characters.

There needs to be clarification on what is 'new' to Capcom. It could mean 'never before seen' or 'never playable in SF before'. I hope it's the former, personally.

wamberz1

You know what this cast needs? A timeskip. Make EVERYONE old.

Village

You know what street fighter needs, a super prequel.

Play as young versions of old characters and everyone's parents.

I would buy that game.

I would buy that game and main ken's dad and Young not evil yet akuma.

You know what street fighter needs, a super prequel.

Play as young versions of old characters and everyone's parents.

I would buy that game.

I would buy that game and main ken's dad and Young not evil yet akuma.

Being able to play as Gou Hibiki would be pretty darn cool.
Now THAT would be cool. Maybe show Sakura as the character that Ryu is currently, a badass warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom