• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulva

Y'know, earlier someone brought up the possibility of Cannon Spike's Simone being one of the five new characters for Season 2, and I must say that I've grown extremely fond of that idea.

The potential for a creative moveset involving both her sword and gun is sky-high imo. Plus, I've been yearning for a character who fights in roller skates ever since Yang let me down on that front so I can foresee some super cool mobility options for Simone should she make it in.

I've been asking for Linn Kurosawa for years now.

Also guys I had a crazy thought that I wish I had thought of while at psx. What if with Chun's piano legs now in the game, you can do piano air legs? That would make doing instant air headstomp > lk legs so much easier I think. Just a crazy idea that I wish I had thought of 36 hrs ago.

Hutchie

Instead of removing boom loops maybe just nerf damage? Also no mention of any additional offline modes, rework of fight money etcs...

one_kill

Damn, I really hate the fact that recent updates are done in game. The game seems to hate working with my router. I need to use my mobile to download any update done in game.

Damn, I really hate the fact that recent updates are done in game. The game seems to hate working with my router. I need to use my mobile to download any update done in game.

Have you tried upgrading the firmware on your router? Assuming that it is in fact a problem with your router, and not (for example) something your ISP is doing, then that might fix it.

But it makes you wonder what the motivation for the in-game updates even are. Does it allow them to avoid certification on PS4 since they only contain assets? It's not like that is an issue with Steam, so I'd imagine that they are using it there simply to cut down on the work involved.

Can you link to the Karin footage? Her V-Skill never built much meter anyway.

https://youtu.be/EFSuGM9VS7A?t=14m18s

Check the 14 min and 18 sec mark. It didn't really give much anyway but that seems even less I believe. Though I might be wrong.

EDIT: It seems that maybe fully charged v-skill does give the same, maybe it's just the "level 1" v-skill that's reduced? You can see the fully charged one at 15:23
Ucchedavāda;226097170 said:
Have you tried upgrading the firmware on your router? Assuming that it is in fact a problem with your router, and not (for example) something your ISP is doing, then that might fix it.

But it makes you wonder what the motivation for the in-game updates even are. Does it allow them to avoid certification on PS4 since they only contain assets? It's not like that is an issue with Steam, so I'd imagine that they are using it there simply to cut down on the work involved.
You pretty much guessed it correctly there, they don't have to worry as much about sony certification. Plus it allows them to get hotfixes and the like out quicker.

Hook your modem right up to your PS4. Your modem is probably a D-Link one or similar, which doesn't play well with certain games, and plugging it straight in bypasses that.

Instead of removing boom loops maybe just nerf damage? Also no mention of any additional offline modes, rework of fight money etcs...

Fight Money needs reworking?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to see some general strategy here, but it's not easy. Like they're buffing Urien across the board when he was already pretty strong. But then they're also nerfing Nash and Karin all around who really weren't that amazing. That just sounds like a random shuffle.
And I don't play Alex, but these sound like pretty big nerfs if he's losing parts of his oki.

And having a low hitting medium plus on block is really strong in this game where walking back is one of the best defenses.

I'm trying to see some general strategy here, but it's not easy. Like they're buffing Urien across the board when he was already pretty strong. But then they're also nerfing Nash and Karin all around who really weren't that amazing. That just sounds like a random shuffle.
And I don't play Alex, but these sound like pretty big nerfs if he's losing parts of his oki.

And having a low hitting medium plus on block is really strong in this game where walking back is one of the best defenses.
Ultradavid is right on the money, some of these changes feel a bit kneejerk tbh.

I think considering the theme of the game, V-Skills should be useful across the board regardless of overall character balance considerations.
But the effectiveness of a v-skill, and the v-meter that comes with it, is a part of the overall character balance.

Would it really be fair if Chun's V-skill was something that she could use more liberally, allowing her to gain V-meter faster than normal? Without almost ever using the V-skill, Mika is still considered one of the better characters in the game (and honestly she still will be IMO).

A good v-skill means more v-meter in general and that can be too strong for some characters with the way they've been designed.

Personally I'm fan with some characters having better/worse V-skills than others, as long as the rest of the character is still good.

Modifiable v-skills/v-triggers down the line would be cool, but it'd also be really hard to balance. At the least i hope there's a secondary v-trigger for each character eventually.

FluxWaveZ

-In addition to the R. mika stuff we know they also changed her slide in a way I can't make out from the wording of the document. Brimstone command grab also has more recovery, probably so she won't just be able to cmd grab dash cmd grab dash forever.

The cr.HK one would be really weird. Not sure I see the point of increasing the frame data on it, if that's what it is. Unless they no longer want her to be able to slide under fire balls?

Hutchie

Hook your modem right up to your PS4. Your modem is probably a D-Link one or similar, which doesn't play well with certain games, and plugging it straight in bypasses that.

Fight Money needs reworking?

I would say a slight increase outside of weeklys wouldnt kill. Maybe 100 per fight as opposed to 50

Neoxon

So apparently Akuma is now voiced by Richard Epcar (Old Joseph Joestar, Raiden) rather than Dave Mallow (Straits/Straitzo) from previous games.

A small list of overall changes for Season 2 as found by LPN (definitely not conclusive but it might have some info you didn't know)

Things I picked out:

-They actually gave cammy's air throw back to her (don't know if that compensates for the dive kick nerfs)

-Juri's dp is punches now. Not sure why but whatever.

-Juri's st. mp pushes back less apparently. Would be a increase to her upclose pressure then.

-Necalli's command throw is kicks now. No more execution errors with charge slash or dp or w/e for baddies like me.

-Necalli's charge slash has projectile armor frame one. Meaty fireballs are easier to get through I guess.

-Guile with 2 bar VT. Whoa

-They removed Guile's boom loops via a change to how his c.r mp works. LAME

-Guile's st. hp is no longer a crush counter....LAME.

-Guile's cr. fierce IS a crush counter...yoooo.

-Overall that means Guile can't fish for meaty st. hp anymore. Cr. Hp is more unsafe to actually do that with I think so that element isn't as scary. But on the plus side trade AAs with Cr. hp will be good news now, he'll probably at least be able to flash kick after if not get the full down forward kick + flash kick combo.

-Gief's st. lk apparently "vacuums" opponents in allowing for easier lariat combos. Hm.

-Nash got worse frames on his moonsault, worse spacing frames on his dashes and more recovery on v-trigger. Not necessary, ouch.

-In addition to the R. mika stuff we know they also changed her slide in a way I can't make out from the wording of the document. Brimstone command grab also has more recovery, probably so she won't just be able to cmd grab dash cmd grab dash forever.

-Urien got some nice stuff. Cr. mk is +1 for him so now his low from half-screen leads to added pressure too. Cr. mp went from being 0 to +1 as well so his pressure will likely be tougher to escape.

That's easy to see why, no more accidental DP's out of dash forward into her fireball motion kicks.

So i got the game, those of you who wanna play online hit me up psn : djcast87 im there in the morning and the weekeend in the evening

And people think my suggestions are ridiculous. While Nash is high on the "tier list" he had flaws like the lack of Jab AA or Invincible Reversal and being very weak in the corner. And now their nerfing his escape options and dashes when he's one of the characters with slower walk speed and no 3f ground normals with 950 stun/stamina. I was fine the way EX- Genocide Cutter was.

I want to see improvements across the board like back dashes. It's dumb that they can be Crush Countered as well as parries and that goes double for Akuma as he also takes gray damage with his 875 stamina meanwhile buffing M.Bison's.

And people think my suggestions are ridiculous. While Nash is high on the "tier list" he had flaws like the lack of Jab AA or Invincible Reversal and being very weak in the corner. And now their nerfing his escape options and dashes when he's one of the characters with slower walk speed and no 3f ground normals with 950 stun/stamina. I was fine the way EX- Genocide Cutter was.

I want to see improvements across the board like back dashes. It's dumb that they can be Crush Countered as well as parries and that goes double for Akuma as he also takes gray damage with his 875 stamina meanwhile buffing M.Bison's.
I wouldn't call the lack of a jab AA a "flaw" for Nash. It means that his AA game is practically unchanged which is great for him since he has like 3 or more fantastic AA buttons depending on the situation and none of them are jabs.

He now HAS an invincible reversal.

EVERY character is weak in the corner but Nash now has the invincible reversal to work with as well as his V-reversal and his V-Trigger. Those have been nerfed but against proper meaty attacks, V-Reversal is still great.

Though I agree that Akuma losing white health for that parry is weird.

Guile's crush counter being switched from s.HP to c.HP makes me happy. Feels like that's what it should have been in the first place, and there's a good chance it'll open up more combo potential off of a counter hit s.HP, too, since you could most likely have easy confirms into c.MP->boom->super from it, now, instead of damage being limited by the CC launch.

I'm not surprised by the loss of the boom loop, but I do worry a little bit what the c.MP pushback nerf means for Guile's corner combos in general, but even that's not too big of a deal, really.

I'm assuming there's more changes we don't know about, but the impression that I'm getting is they want to strengthen Guile a bit more in neutral at the cost of some of his offensive options.

mbpm1

Risk reward for that parry is going to very difficult to figure out. We already barely see it for Ryu and he has 1000 hp and doesn't lose grey life for it (albeit with a crush counter property).

Skilletor

Guile's crush counter being switched from s.HP to c.HP makes me happy. Feels like that's what it should have been in the first place, and there's a good chance it'll open up more combo potential off of a counter hit s.HP, too, since you could most likely have easy confirms into c.MP->boom->super from it, now, instead of damage being limited by the CC launch.

I'm not surprised by the loss of the boom loop, but I do worry a little bit what the c.MP pushback nerf means for Guile's corner combos in general, but even that's not too big of a deal, really.

I'm assuming there's more changes we don't know about, but the impression that I'm getting is they want to strengthen Guile a bit more in neutral at the cost of some of his offensive options.

Yeah, the c.mp is going to hurt his combos in general. :./

Boom loop was such a non-issue, I'm surprised they went after it.

All worth it if we get a bit more reach on c.mk.

Risk reward for that parry is going to very difficult to figure out. We already barely see it for Ryu and he has 1000 hp and doesn't lose grey life for it (albeit with a crush counter property).

Seems better than Ryu in some instances like jump-ins, where Akuma has an auto-follow up. But yeah, going to have to be brave to use it, lol.

ElFly

the issue with Ryu's is that a followup is not guaranteed, so the advantage to doing it is not that big outside of gathering v-bar

and Ryu's V-Trigger ain't that good in S1

it seems they want people to use Ryu's V-Trigger more in S2 by giving him better normals in it (and worse normals out of it?) so people could be tempted into parrying more

could be interesting or could be a huge nerf

mbpm1

There's also the fact that they could change things more between psx til now. I hope those changes are good, if they are major.

SSReborn

There's also the fact that they could change things more between psx til now. I hope those changes are good, if they are major.
The psx build could also be older I would assume that things like that would need to go through an approval process and what not.

I personally think that the PSX build is a tad older build that they just used for demonstration purposes.

Though I suppose we'll know for sure when the changelog drops.

Akuma's parry seems fine for a risk/reward, at least right now. In return for losing grey life, he gets a chance to get some damage off of it straight up. Probably the most useful when you wanna keep up the pressure but don't want to have your flow stopped.

I would say a slight increase outside of weeklys wouldnt kill. Maybe 100 per fight as opposed to 50

Yeah that's not too bad. Just have to hit a sweet spot where both developer and gamer are happy.

ElFly

The psx build could also be older I would assume that things like that would need to go through an approval process and what not.

it could be an older build but Akuma's release is so soon that I would be surprised if they had the time to make a second build and sent it to cert -tho maybe certification for PS4 patches ain't that strict these days?-

honestly me thinks we could see a second patch after they see how this new balance plays out, in such as february

SephLuis

it could be an older build but Akuma's release is so soon that I would be surprised if they had the time to make a second build and sent it to cert -tho maybe certification for PS4 patches ain't that strict these days?-

honestly me thinks we could see a second patch after they see how this new balance plays out, in such as february

They do have their own patching system inside SF V so I am not sure if they would have to go through Sony for this.

Maybe the Akuma content and other things are via PSN, but the balance itself might be done via in-game changes. I think that was the same strategy used by Injustice and MK, which they delivered too many balancing patches.

ElFly

They do have their own patching system inside SF V so I am not sure if they would have to go through Sony for this.

Maybe the Akuma content and other things are via PSN, but the balance itself might be done via in-game changes. I think that was the same strategy used by Injustice and MK, which they delivered too many balancing patches.

I think for big things they still patch the game through PSN?

dunno if S2 qualifies as 'big thing' tho

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Karin's cr.mk does not look like a -4 move like it is now in that PSX footage, but it's super hard to tell of course. There's hope.

Her V-Reversal nerf is brutal, though. That was a free opening against most characters.

SephLuis

I think for big things they still patch the game through PSN?

dunno if S2 qualifies as 'big thing' tho

They can split the content. Big content changes such as Akuma, new stages, new premium costumes and new modes are probably done via PSN.

But adjustments should be done in-game. Though, I remember a few patches taking more than a while to DL, so I would not be surprised if it's still big

UncleMeat

Played the game for the first time since early May and I have a couple questions for you guys.

Do we have any idea or at least a guess on whether or not season 1 characters will be free when season 2 drops? I have enough fight money for a couple but I'm wondering if it would be smarter to save it for season 2.

And I was also curious if they adjusted the graphics on ps4; it seemed like maybe the spotty dot shade thing has been cleared up but I can't tell since it's been so long since I played.

Thanks in advance.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Played the game for the first time since early May and I have a couple questions for you guys.

Do we have any idea or at least a guess on whether or not season 1 characters will be free when season 2 drops? I have enough fight money for a couple but I'm wondering if it would be smarter to save it for season 2.

And I was also curious if they adjusted the graphics on ps4; it seemed like maybe the spotty dot shade thing has been cleared up but I can't tell since it's been so long since I played.

Thanks in advance.
There is no way those characters will be free, the season 1 pass is still $30 without a discount.

Not sure about the shadows, I think there was a slight change at some point.

Thanks in advance.
They haven't said anything but I personally think it's unlikely.They might start doing bundles and stuff where season 1 characters are included but that might not affect existing users.

Also remember that each DLC character has their own story,trials,survival, etc etc so the actual cost isn't THAT high.

And the spotty dot shade thing is still here sadly. Though I do think they've improved on it a tad so it isn't as bad as before but yeah.

galvatron

So, does buying a season pass get you the equivalent fight money if you've already unlocked the characters? I might be able to get enough fight money for Akuma, but I don't see myself being able to keep up if I have to get 100K every month or so with the few tolerable activities I have left to do.

So, does buying a season pass get you the equivalent fight money if you've already unlocked the characters? I might be able to get enough fight money for Akuma, but I don't see myself being able to keep up if I have to get 100K every month or so with the few tolerable activities I have left to do.

It does not, and that is legitimately the one thing that irks me about the season pass. I'm gonna get this one eventually but I'll have to wait until the end of the year before getting the season pass which means that I won't be able to play with him when he drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom