• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've never played this game before today, and this is what I learned:

-I like Karin
-Her crouching HK is a good poke
-Its hard to do combo
-Skill based matchmaking does not exist
-Atleast it feels better than SF4

Skilletor

It wasn't a joke about the game being bad, and if people get riled up over a stupid self-patronizing semi-joke, that's on them.

If you take the Xrd thing seriously, that's on you too.

FYI: I'm having fun. lol.

Post what you want. I'm just responding in kind.

I'm obsessed with combo's, esp with Ken. lol it is known, so no you are incorrect.

I lose matches because I'm always desperate for highlight reels for my YT. It's kinda sad really haha, I should be focusing on good spacing and whiff punishes but I am overly aggressive seeking one hitconfirm.

*Looks at user name* marvel. This post now makes sense.

Onemic

-I like Karin
-Its hard to do combo

The matchmaking has actually been pretty perfect for me when queing for casual matches. I never get someone that is more than one rank above or below me.

JayEH

-I like Karin
-Its hard to do combo

Who are you getting matched with?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

-I like Karin
-Its hard to do combo
- Me, too
- Her cr.hk is -14 on block. It's pretty dangerous to use against many characters.
- Well, easier than in pretty much every other SF
- This has gotten better, you usually only play against people one rank above and below you. It works pretty well from my experience.
- Yep.

Skilletor

If you're really new to SF (5 or otherwise), it'll feel like skill based matchmaking doesn't exist because people at the lowest level are more familiar with the game than you are.

MrCarter

This thread must be agony for SFV haters on gaming side lol. As for the maintence of 7 hours...really Capcom? I know it ends earlier at times but they can at least be quicker and give us players on the other side of the world a chance to play today.

Producer

In doing casuals, but I'm getting matched with level +100 every other time.

A few lower levels like 10-20 and such but mostly people who are way better

Levels literally dont matter. You gain a level everytime any character gains a level. So someome could beat story mode with all characters and gain like 100 levels and never play a single game online

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

The levels don't mean anything, they are just the total sum of all character levels. Look at the rank (Bronze, Silver etc)

JayEH

Levels don't matter. You can be at a really high level by just doing single player content. LP is what is used for skill matchmaking.

pizzacat

Banned

Casual is where people go to not lose points you'll get matched with lots of different people.

Go to a battle lounge, more fun that way

And you can watch how people play

As has been said, levels don't mean anything. However, casual can be misleading as some people may only play casual and get way better at the game but never change rank so they are actually better than what their rank says.

Skilletor

You go up in levels by doing solo content as well as multiplayer. It's not an indication of skill, just how much stuff they've done in game.

Onemic

Look at the rank, not the level. Level is amount of time played pretty much. Rank is the actual skill level.

Marvel

could never
Yup, hit up Battle Lounge my friend. Create or join one, if you are creating ask for the same ranked players as you and kick who is too highin level. Or join someone else's of the same rank.

Natrually there will be smurfs about though so watch out, orrr just very experienced SF players that have just made the jump to V.

GL.

If Arenanet(GW2 developer) license their software so many damn games would benefit from it..

They can patch the game while servers stay up..
They do maintenance while the servers are up, they give you warnings you could lose connection..

SFV is 10 months released and it already has more downtime than GW2 which is up more than 4 years..

Excellent OT man! Some ace bits of advice :)

I've been trying to complete the trials for every character to see which I'd enjoy to main the most, and after seeing Du perform so well I had to jump on the bandwagon a bit :p but Guile's trial #7, namely crouching medium punch into sonic boom. I've watched videos with the little hand cam in the bottom but for the life of me I cant get it, and strangely enough I had better success getting it off with a pad over my stick! (40% of the time vs 0% :D )

I feel like i'm charging for long enough, and the button input window always seems like it would work, but nope, I'll be trying it again soon with a fresh mind, these trials alone are so much fun for me

SFV is dead though.

Akuma's the Necromancer!

I've been trying to complete the trials for every character to see which I'd enjoy to main the most, and after seeing Du perform so well I had to jump on the bandwagon a bit :p but Guile's trial #7, namely crouching medium punch into sonic boom. I've watched videos with the little hand cam in the bottom but for the life of me I cant get it, and strangely enough I had better success getting it off with a pad over my stick!

I feel like i'm charging for long enough, and the button input window always seems like it would work, but nope, I'll be trying it again soon with a fresh mind, these trials alone are so much fun for me
Try to do the Boom after the slightest delay from the cr.mp hitting, don't do it the same moment the cr.mp hits. It's how you do a lot of Guile's combos as well as Chun-Li's.

It takes practice to get it down.

Akuma's the Necromancer!

Try to do the fireball after the slightest delay from the cr.mp hitting, don't do it the same moment the cr.mp hits. It's how you do a lot of Guile's combos as well as Chun-Li's.

It takes practice to get it down.
Right ok thanks man I'll give it a try soon! Then onto FANG! Even though he's hugely under represented in the tournament I really like the look of his playstyle

I was always better with Guile on a pad than a stick. This goes for SF4 as well.

But my TES+ D: at £160 I wont be putting it down until I've spent thousands of hours using it haha

I've been trying to complete the trials for every character to see which I'd enjoy to main the most, and after seeing Du perform so well I had to jump on the bandwagon a bit :p but Guile's trial #7, namely crouching medium punch into sonic boom. I've watched videos with the little hand cam in the bottom but for the life of me I cant get it, and strangely enough I had better success getting it off with a pad over my stick! (40% of the time vs 0% :D )

I was always better with Guile on a pad than a stick. This goes for SF4 as well. I used to land the cr.LP to cr.MP 1-frame link way more consistently on a pad for some reason.

I love this game. I just wish I could play online against people that suck as badly as I do. Getting slaughtered over and over and over again is not fun. For me, at least.

Well yeah I guess if any (relatively) new player wanna fite me, PSN = Gaf name

I love this game. I just wish I could play online against people that suck as badly as I do. Getting slaughtered over and over and over again is not fun. For me, at least.
It sucks getting bodied by good players, but try to use it as a learning experience. Like, what each character can do and your own bad habits that get you rekted

Right ok thanks man I'll give it a try soon! Then onto FANG! Even though he's hugely under represented in the tournament I really like the look of his playstyle
tumblr_nynv7as6U01qjgyvoo1_400.gif

ANOTHER ONE
maybe
JOINS THE CLUB, WOO HOO!!!

Though I am a bit disappointed that there will now be more than 2 FANGs here, it always seemed so appropriate.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well yeah I guess if any (relatively) new player wanna fite me, PSN = Gaf name

It sucks getting bodied by good players, but try to use it as a learning experience. Like, what each character can do and your own bad habits that get you rekted
What regiom are you playing from?

Skilletor

I think I'm going to start capping some of my matches and posting them here. I'm stuck and am too close to the game to see where my roadblocks are.

Marvel

could never
I think I'm going to start capping some of my matches and posting them here. I'm stuck and am too close to the game to see where my roadblocks are.
Wise idea. I'm sure some vets here could help, I'd do the same but I'm too shy post my games.

I’ll analyze...It’s what I’m best at I’m afraid. Better than my gameplay lol...

Srk is also a good place to post your videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom