• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ken players are really upset over this DP change lol

B L O C K

This shit is why I'm not too bummed about season 2 Mika at the moment.

Well, that and I'm dismayed that Marvel Infinite seems to have less "Marvel" in it than Nadeshiko does right now.

This shit is why I'm not too bummed about season 2 Mika at the moment.

Well, that and I'm dismayed that Marvel Infinite seems to have less "Marvel" in it than Nadeshiko does right now.
Yea this is an indirect buff for grapplers in general. Now they gotta hold all the pressure that the grapplers have had to hold for the past year lol. They still have an ex DP though

I had heard that armour attacks were all switched to frame 1 but haven't seen anything about it post PSX. Hopefully it's real.

Zackat

We've just been moved to Community, btw.

And the DP talk is exactly why I had asked about this earlier:

Never thought they'd actually make that change, though.

I am surprised it took so long to get the move to community. I guess they waited until after PSX? idk.

The DP change is the best news yet.

meerak

I seem to play much much better when I'm in a good mood, and much worse when I'm in a bad mood. Anyone else the same?

Yeah, it's why I started blazing before playing. I am a nervous wreck usually.. sweating buckets, heart pumping, get mad easy. But I've changed my ways. I try to maintain a Tokido-like composure now. If I see myself slipping, I bow out or go to training mode / survival etc. I meditate and stretch between matches to keep fresh! :D

eh guess all that a bit embarrassing but whatever.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
4 characters playing by a different rule isn't the standard, it's an outlier.

I'm just gonna quote myself from 5 months ago:

Yeah yeah. But if you look at the best characters in the game, most of them have invincible dps. Look at the worst and they have the worst wake up in the game.
I was thinking about this yesterday, actually. SF5 basically took a chainsaw to universal defensive options:

- no invincible backdash
- no focus
- no parry
- no pushblock
- V-Reversals exist, but they're arguably more costly here than in a game like SFA3 where you start with full meter and don't even need a full meter to make use of supers

Couple that with the existence of crush counters and it becomes pretty scary to try and reverse the momentum once the opponent gets going.

I feel like Capcom probably realized this at some point during development, which is why they (1) made some of the traditionally invulnerable SRK vulnerable on start-up, and (2) tacked on the counter-hit-on-recovery penalty to all invulnerable reversals in order to make mistakes more costly. It's still an incredibly valuable tool for a character to have, though.

Grifter

All we know is that the first character, Akuma The Lion, releases on 20th Dec. Still no mention of when the rest of the characters will drop though.

I thought you were kidding because I found that that's the Xmas DLC release and I imagined timing to be in 2017. Was thinking that's late for Xmas content, tho it makes sense to bundle a bunch of DLC around the S2 release AND to have these pay items all out in time for Xmas day. Would also set up a whole year's worth of season before the next Capcom Cup.

Mizerman

I thought you were kidding because I found that that's the Xmas DLC release and I imagined timing to be in 2017. Was thinking that's late for Xmas content, tho it makes sense to bundle a bunch of DLC around the S2 release AND to have these pay items all out in time for Xmas day. Would also set up a whole year's worth of season before the next Capcom Cup.

Yeah, we'll likely have all the season 2 characters by June/July. Then whatever the hell we get for the rest of 2017.

JayEH

Nah you stay in community once you're in community. Unless we make another OT specifically for season 2 then we can go back.

someone on shoryuken posted an exclusive preview of the Nostalgic Guile skin

Uhq6nrk.jpg
LMAO!

Scotia

Banned
Part 2 in 'Terrible Street Fighter Art' brings this nightmare (try looking at the right side mainly):

You can see here that Akuma and lions were a thing even back in the 3rd Strike days!

15350704_10206004109341550_3452253133131956200_n.jpg

JayEH

Don't worry I'm sure someone else will make a new thread and neglect to mention the stuff you or the article did in the title. I expect something like "Capcom Cup numbers down, SFV competitive interest dying".

Mizerman

Don't worry I'm sure someone else will make a new thread and neglect to mention the stuff you or the article did in the title. I expect something like "Capcom Cup numbers down, SFV competitive interest dying".

Oh, I'm anticipating it. One of the complainers will do it just to be "funny."

Kashiwaba

There # of viewers on twitch during the top 8 at its peak was around 140k (counting all channels and languages mainly around 107k for English stream one and 18k for Japanese stream).

Source: I checked the numbers during the final match lol.

mbpm1

I would have given everyone a DP before giving nobody one tbh.

that said, I hope non-dp characters can wakeup now with meter.

jett

D-Member

I'm pretty sure those numbers are low even by ESPN2 standards. Evo got 200k, and that wasn't considered particularly great. I mean, those numbers are being compared to the Canadian Football League, and only in the key demo. That comment from ESPN was pretty dry to be honest.

JayEH

I'm pretty sure those numbers are low even by ESPN2 standards. Evo got 200k, and that wasn't considered particularly great. I mean, those numbers are being compared to the Canadian Football League, lol.

remember it came on Sunday Night when things like Sunday Night Football and other big tv shows are on. ESPN said it lined up with their expectations as well. it's a decent start imo.

jett

D-Member
remember it came on Sunday Night when things like Sunday Night Football and other big tv shows are on. ESPN said it lined up with their expectations as well. it's a decent start imo.

I thought Evo was a decent start.

Not sure what the CapcomCup is.

JayEH

I thought Evo was a decent start.

Not sure what the CapcomCup is.

it also was a repeat broadcast that was edited down to an hour. i'm sure it would be higher otherwise. I definitely would have watched it there if it was live.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are low even by ESPN2 standards. Evo got 200k, and that wasn't considered particularly great. I mean, those numbers are being compared to the Canadian Football League, and only in the key demo. That comment from ESPN was pretty dry to be honest.

Again, for a rebroadcast and parred down on a Sunday night, it's fine. Fighting games aren't going to hit millions, and I don't know why people expect it to right out of the gate.

Dry or not, it doesn't seem like they are giving up on SF any time soon, and they are satisfied with the numbers.

Edit: And to be fair, not many people outside of the FGC know what Capcom Cup is. EVO is a thing people maybe heard of but not CC.

Depends? how much is the investment into SFV eSports? how much did they put into CC? how much did they get from TV sponsors? if they broke even with just 87k viewers then it's a win for ESPN, plus the event wasn't live, most SF fans saw it live and had no reason to watch the ESPN broadcast, I know I didn't....had it been live I would have tuned into ESPN..

Coda

Just watched the FloKO stream earlier. Great to see that Efren and Danke have found a new home with them, it was basically a Best of III episode but they don't have an official name for the show yet.

The FChamp interview was pretty good too.

I just had a frightening thought...

Silhouette #1:

03_akumagallery01.jpg

This:

VbKIy4R.jpg

She's technically a character that's new to the SF universe, since she has the CFAS profle.

Please, no...

...unless they have a REALLY good gameplay idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom