• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
biggest mistake people make with charge characters is they think they need to always be holding down back or back. you don't. you can charge while you're jumping, while you dash, even in the middle of combos. the actual execution of doing a charge move is easy though. just make sure you're familiar with how long it takes for a move to charge. go to training mode and practice.

This is really noticeable online when fighting against players who have never used charge characters before. You'll see Bisons and Guiles just crouching waiting for something to happen while you can be doing whatever you want.
As a Dictator main in ST and a Urien main in 3S, knowing how to get around charge times is what puts you ahead. I'll be giving Dictator another go when Season 2 starts because it sounds like they've fixed a lot of what is wrong.

Csr

wouldn't slower reactions just compound the existing lag either way?

If the game is played more preemptively because players can't whiff punish then it would help someone who doesn't have good reactions but you still would have to react to some stuff.
That is the main complain people had with the game regarding the lag, that you had to play more preemptively and less reactionary.

Csr

So this will help me tech throws better? Because I am always just a liiiiittle late on it.

If they reduce the lag then sure it will help reacting to stuff but whether or not you will see yourself reacting more successful without more practice then that depends on if you are reacting late by less than a couple of frames which tbh is not the more probable scenario.

People are not reacting to the animation of the throw anyway because you have 7 frames after the start up frames of the throw which means it is impossible to react to, they are reacting to how close the opponent is when they suspect that he will go for a throw.

Aren't tech throws just guesswork? I don't believe anyone can do this shit on reaction.
It's possible to tech on reaction but usually you're already in a "teching state of mind".

Like when you're sitting there holding down+back and focusing purely on defense. When you're good at teching throws, it's not THAT difficult to do, but sometimes it is both a reflex as well as just a tinge of guesswork. That's why shimmys were so darn effective at the start of the game's life.

Mainly it's just a mix of reaction and good ol' fashioned anticipation.
you can react to throws in Tekken i think

techen
05d.jpg

Aren't tech throws just guesswork? I don't believe anyone can do this shit on reaction.

You can see when someone wants to throw and you tech at the right time, some times you can read your opponent; the ones that have no combos just jump, jag, grab, repeat, makes it easy to tech, the one who play with very little grabbing the ones that always get me..

Skilletor

After playing for awhile, I just start to "feel" when to tech. It took me forever in SF4 just because throws had so much range and it was difficult to get a read on when somebody would throw or just jab.

Tekken is super easy to see throws, and it's easier to break them now since regular throws can be broken with either lp or rp. I could always see the throws, but I never trained myself on seeing which arm, so it was hard to escape them. When I played at EVO, I think I escaped every normal throw people did to me in casuals.

Csr

It's possible to tech on reaction but usually you're already in a "teching state of mind".

Lets say someone has the best reactions in the world close to 7 frames which also happens to be the window for teching a throw if you include the lag and the fact that you can't distinguish the first frames of animation then reacting to the animation of the throw is impossible.
That is why you see throw loops very often even in high level play.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think people react to the dash forward or the step towards them. Or they predict it after a recognizable tick setup. But as far as seeing that they executed a throw command and reacting strictly to that, I think that's probably impossible.

ElFly

wouldn't slower reactions just compound the existing lag either way?

it gives everyone a baseline reaction lag

if the game input lag is lower, my new reaction time is proportionally bigger compared to everyone else. when the input lag is higher I still had lower reaction times but the proportional difference isn't as stark

it gives everyone a baseline reaction lag

if the game input lag is lower, my new reaction time is proportionally bigger compared to everyone else. when the input lag is higher I still had lower reaction times but the proportional difference isn't as stark

With 8 frames of lag,If it takes you say 20-frames to be able to react to something, then your desired move will start at the 28th frame

With 4 frames of lag,If it takes you say 20-frames to be able to react to something, then your desired move will start at the 24th frame.

There comes a point where you gotta stop blaming the input lag bruh. There's a lot of stuff in the game that don't require particularly high reactions to do, and people were doing them consistently even with 8 frames.

Edzi

I just hope the lag reduction is true so we can stop hearing people complain about it. Also curious to see what new excuse Gootecks goes with.

mbpm1

I just hope the lag reduction is true so we can stop hearing people complain about it. Curious to see what option select Gootecks goes with.

If Gootecks plays Mika he can blame the mika changes

If gootecks plays urien he can blame universal nerfs

If gootecks plays Ryu he'lll complain about no dp

mbpm1

Also for the first few months he'll complain about how the input difference is now throwing him off and benefiting his opponents more than him somehow

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If Gootecks plays Mika he can blame the mika changes

If gootecks plays urien he can blame universal nerfs

If gootecks plays Ryu he'lll complain about no dp
There will always be "online" left to blame for the show

"I Swear Mike, I did this combo everyday before the patch but now it's just......"

*Mike joins in on ribbing SF5 cause he's trying to make the show bearable*

Onemic

Tbh reactions just comes with practice. People act like playing FG's(or competitive videogames in general) requires higher reaction times than actual sports lmao.

"I Swear Mike, I did this combo everyday before the patch but now it's just......"

*Mike joins in on ribbing SF5 cause he's trying to make the show bearable*

That's pretty much how it has always been, though.
Except when they tried to play MKX. That was just a disaster on all fronts.

JayEH

Ucchedavāda;226194574 said:

That was sad but it also made me feel good that not everyone who is really good at SF is automatically good at other 2D games. Basically I learned Justin Wong is an anomaly :p

Ucchedavāda;226194574 said:

They were always salty but they were always salty at the person they lost to. If the connection was bad, then they just ended it and moved on.

A big part of it is the long loading screen honestly. There's way more downtime so there's more shit to shoot and generally they're gonna want to discuss the game or the match that just took place or their character which leads to more "opinion sharing" and less playing and focusing on the game.

ALso they need to get some more entertaining guests like Johnny Scar or Kenny Omega or LI Joe etc.

JayEH

Well SF is the "baby series" to people who are good at VF, GG, etc. lol they pick up that shit real quick.

Speaking of excellent adventures when was the last time they had a guest. Seems like they've been rocking solo for a few months now.

mbpm1

Well SF is the "baby series" to people who are good at VF, GG, etc. lol they pick up that shit real quick.

Speaking of excellent adventures when was the last time they had a guest. Seems like they've been rocking solo for a few months now.

i hope they bring du on and he's entertaining while there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom