• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

That's uhh.... boy that's something.

haha, kinda weird reference I guess. didn't take too long to make actually. I understand if you don't like it :)

--

have we had the 4f thing confirmed yet or no?

Du is becoming a master of mindgames, which is something that more US players should pick up upon to give themselves and edge. :p

he is the master of a lot of things. I love watching him play.... even mika.

haha, kinda weird reference I guess. didn't take too long to make actually. I understand if you don't like it :)

--

have we had the 4f thing confirmed yet or no?
It's cool and all but it's just a bit too "icy" for my taste. Still great work though.

And no, it hasn't been confirmed. Probably will have to wait for the patch notes like for everything else.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wish we would have the lobby message system at the rematch/game over screen. Sometimes I just want to tell my opponent that I don't rematch because it's laggy.

Zackat

It's cool and all but it's just a bit too "icy" for my taste. Still great work though.

And no, it hasn't been confirmed. Probably will have to wait for the patch notes like for everything else.

boo patch notes.

and it's np

I am glad you liked the other ones, they were pretty sweet.

I wish we would have the lobby message system at the rematch/game over screen. Sometimes I just want to tell my opponent that I don't rematch because it's laggy.

the fact you have to use pre-made messages on PC is kinda annoying too. I guess since we can crossplay.... but it really isn't that hard to type up stuff on the ps4

I feel like Excellent Adventures is different now because they can't bitch about certain characters being cheap. Mike tried to do that and the comments section opened his ass up about Gief. There's less broken shit to be mad at and more just player based fuckery.

And with Gootecks running a training service, it's really hard for him to say "man I fucking suck" lol

Edzi

I feel like Excellent Adventures is different now because they can't bitch about certain characters being cheap. Mike tried to do that and the comments section opened his ass up about Gief. There's less broken shit to be mad at and more just player based fuckery.

And with Gootecks running a training service, it's really hard for him to say "man I fucking suck" lol

Honestly, Mike just seems to play along, but Gootecks legit seems to have a problem with salt. Remember how he would literally stop the show to go the Training mode and show Mike exactly why he **should** have won after Mike's Laura beat him? That shit is pathetic.

Honestly, Mike just seems to play along, but Gootecks legit seems to have a problem with salt. Remember how he would literally stop the show to go the Training mode and show Mike exactly why he **should** have won after Mike's Laura beat him? That shit is pathetic.

"Okay guys I should have won this and this is how pleasesignupformytrainingonly150asession"

They've gotten better, but I want them to get all depressed and angry at themselves like they were before. On the plus side, I like it when they play other characters, but they are too obsessed with points right now to try other people out. It's Urien, Mika, Gief, and Laura guest starring Birdie. Only two of those characters are seen per month.

Like, live a little. Play some other dudes. Pull out that dusty Ryu, or maybe Mike should fuck around with other grapplers. If you have to run some Casual Matches, do it.

jett

D-Member
I tired Urien.

My fingers hurt from trying to do his combos on a DS3's dpad. Even if I had an arcade stick, I don't have the disposition to learn this shit. He looks cool when played by the pros, but he's more complicated to play than I thought. I really wish this game had truly easier execution for someone like me, who doesn't want to retrain his fingers.

Back to Mika!

Zackat

I tired Urien.

My fingers hurt from trying to do his combos on a DS3's dpad. Even if I had an arcade stick, I don't have the disposition to learn this shit. He looks cool when played by the pros, but he's more complicated to play than I thought. I really wish this game had truly easier execution for someone like me, who doesn't want to retrain his fingers.

Back to Mika!

you want him to be a tap character like from MKX? He would be a fucking monster lol.

Is that how FANG's V-Trigger works in the new patch? Essentially turning into a tap character?

it is mighty tempting to give him a try in the new patch.

^ It should, yes.

It would certainly be cool to be able to do things like walk/dash up st.mp xx light ryobenda.

And those weird mixup combos would also become doable with actual meaties instead of always having to do cr.mk and hope for a CH or st.hk to be able to charge in time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if "Deskmenu" is Desk the combo video guy? He had an Irish flag and I believe that's where Desk is from!?

edit: Yeah Guile is one of those characters where I beat the 15k LP ones and lose to the 7k LP one.
If season 2 makes him any better like it sounds like, I might start to hate him.

JayEH

I tired Urien.

Back to Mika!

they can't go any easier with the execution than this really.

"Okay guys I should have won this and this is how pleasesignupformytrainingonly150asession"

They've gotten better, but I want them to get all depressed and angry at themselves like they were before. On the plus side, I like it when they play other characters, but they are too obsessed with points right now to try other people out. It's Urien, Mika, Gief, and Laura guest starring Birdie. Only two of those characters are seen per month.

Like, live a little. Play some other dudes. Pull out that dusty Ryu, or maybe Mike should fuck around with other grapplers. If you have to run some Casual Matches, do it.

the new matchmaking style for V really hurt the show. no more like 10 game salty runbacks with the same dude and they have to be locked into a character before they play a match so they can't do the classic mike "I have a good Sagat" ross character switch at the last second.

Edzi

I tired Urien.

Back to Mika!

Like Jay said, this game's execution is as easy as it'll ever get. You just need to practice.

the new matchmaking style for V really hurt the show. no more like 10 game salty runbacks with the same dude and they have to be locked into a character before they play a match so they can't do the classic mike "I have a good Sagat" ross character switch at the last second.

Yeah, that was apparent from the very beginning. SFV just isn't built for a show like EA.

Zackat

they should just put it on random
we got this gem though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gilbTcdIRw

Mr. X

I tired Urien.

Back to Mika!
Tbf, he's of one of few character's to do esoteric execution stuff with.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain to me how I can beat Alex's parry? Like, does it not have start-up? He seems to be able to do it without thought. Does it auto-parry?

Edzi

Can someone explain to me how I can beat Alex's parry? Like, does it not have start-up? He seems to be able to do it without thought. Does it auto-parry?

When he's in V-Trigger, hitting HP + HK again starts a charging animation for his running lariat attack. If you hit him during the beginning of that charge, he'll auto parry. After the parry, the Alex can either continue to hold the buttons to continue into the lariat, or you can let go and attack/keep parrying.

If you see him charging the lariat, you can just jump over it, since he's locked into the animation until you attack him/he parries or he lets go and does the attack.

Now that we on the OT side, we don't get as many shitposters :(

Edit: Speaking of shitpost, LTG got his ass banned on Twitter. It's a beautiful day!

stn

So DP's will get stuffed on frames 1-3 by meaties, right? So doesn't that mean that any jumping attack will stuff a DP if it lands on frames 1-3 of the DP? I'm really freaking out that AA's will start trading in this game just like they did in SF4. It was a huge deterrent for me dealing with constant jumps and YOLO dive kicks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's not easy to get banned on Twitter. That site is famous for letting almost anything fly.

So DP's will get stuffed on frames 1-3 by meaties, right? So doesn't that mean that any jumping attack will stuff a DP if it lands on frames 1-3 of the DP? I'm really freaking out that AA's will start trading in this game just like they did in SF4. It was a huge deterrent for me dealing with constant jumps and YOLO dive kicks.
Think of Nash's EX scythe or Guile's non-EX flash kicks, they work like that. DPs will still be good anti-airs.

vulva

lower body invulnerability is gone, upper body remains so they can continue to work as anti airs. Think of Juri's DP

Mr. X

Anyone wanna play? I need to practice this thing Urien has against the jumpback throw tech OS.

CFN XtheGenius

Discord Mr. X#8274

East Coast-Long Island, NY

jett

D-Member

That's what people constantly say about this game, but as a moderately casual player this shit is still really hard. I started off with Chun Li and I spent around 40 hours in training to get used to her (that was when the servers were in the pits and this game pretty much was Street Trainer V for me). And I still can only pull instant air legs 10% of the time.

Tbf, he's of one of few character's to do esoteric execution stuff with.

Yeah I guess. :p

I just don't put any value on high execution. Tactics, positioning, strategy, creativity is what matters. When I watch tournies I never go "aw sheeeiit dat execution!" I don't give a crap. Execution is nothing to the pros. I absolutely would not mind lowering the barrier to its absolute rock bottom, whatever that could mean in Street Fighter. People say "you'd still get destroyed by the pros if it played like Smash", and I say sure, but at least I would be more open to playing more characters. For someone like me, choosing a new character to take online would represent dozens of hours in training mode, just to be able to do the basics, just to build up a small amount of muscle memory, just to not get completely annihilated. I don't want to spend my time like that.

I'm sure most of you are hardcore beeechez in gold/platinum and what have you but I'm a lowly ultra bronze/silver dude. This is the first time I play SF online somewhat seriously, and it's definitely nothing like hitting the AI or my other casual buddies for the last 20 years. My basic-ass Ryu was completely garbage in the beginning. I took to learning Chun Li simply because she seemed cool (and did NOT want to go the lame shoto route), and Mika because she seemed easy to play. It's hard enough having to learn every single matchup, then there's dealing with high-level execution in this game.

Just putting out my own casual-ish perspective.

Has Capcom mentioned if they will finally finish up the profile tabs on SFV? The stats one hasn't updated at all and there are still those two inaccessible ones that I am curious about.

Mr. X

That's what people constantly say about this game, but as a moderately casual player this shit is still really hard. I started off with Chun Li and I spent around 40 hours in training to get used to her (that was when the servers were in the pits and this game pretty much was Street Trainer V for me). And I still can only pull instant air legs 10% of the time.

I just don't put any value on high execution. Tactics, positioning, strategy, creativity is what matters. When I watch tournies I never go "aw sheeeiit dat execution!" I don't give a crap. Execution is nothing to the pros. I absolutely would not mind lowering the barrier to its absolute rock bottom, whatever that could mean in Street Fighter. People say "you'd still get destroyed by the pros if it played like Smash", and I say sure, but at least I would be more open to playing more characters. For someone like me, choosing a new character to take online would represent dozens of hours in training mode, just to be able to do the basics, just to build up a small amount of muscle memory, just to not get completely annihilated. I don't want to spend my time like that.

I'm sure most of you are hardcore beeechez in gold/platinum and what have you but I'm a lowly ultra bronze/silver dude. This is the first time I play SF online somewhat seriously, and it's definitely nothing like hitting the AI or my other casual buddies for the last 20 years. My basic-ass Ryu was completely garbage in the beginning. I took to learning Chun Li simply because she seemed cool (and did NOT want to go the lame shoto route), and Mika because she seemed easy to play. It's hard enough having to learn every single matchup, then there's dealing with high-level execution in this game.

Nah, you really don't need to do the crazy fMP Headbutt or Tackle stuff with Urien. He's strong without it since he has reach and his throw game is strong. Besides that, those mixups get blown up by bronze/silver mashing DP and Super :p

Edit: Since it's the last post on the previous page I'll repost

Anyone wanna play?
CFN XtheGenius

Discord Mr. X#8274

Grifter

Nah, you really don't need to do the crazy fMP Headbutt or Tackle stuff with Urien. He's strong without it since he has reach and his throw game is strong. Besides that, those mixups get blown up by bronze/silver mashing DP and Super :p

Edit: Since it's the last post on the previous page I'll repost

Anyone wanna play?
CFN XtheGenius

Discord Mr. X#8274

still up?

galvenize

tfw you can get good games at 4 am in EU.

2d5c0c6074.jpg

Good shit Alchemist, let's do this again.

M3z_

Just to give me you perspective from someone in diamond(i.e. Not amazing but plays seriously), execution is definitely not as minimal a component to any fighter as you explain. Sure at higher levels certain degrees of execution become more and more automatic, but execution also sets a performance hurdle for all situations. There is a big difference between hitting an executionally difficult combo while playing in natural rhythm and doing so in the midst of a scramble or tense moment.

Execution break downs are one of the surest signs of mental weakness or a generally crumbling player psyche. Having executional barriers not only makes execution matter, but also composure as loss of composure will very quickly wreck havoc on your execution. The number of times clutch combos are dropped in key situations because the player cracks or what have you is numerous. Even the pros fall victim to it. The more you suppress execution the more you forgive/hide mental weakness which is a huge factor in separating the good from the great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom