• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

I dunno, I think lessening meter gain might be for the better. You get meter in this game like candy, and some people stock pile that shit just for a CA. Imagine if you had to optimize your stuff better for more meter instead of just having it land in your lap every three seconds. Maybe it'll push people like Nash users (like me, heh) to stop stockpiling it for a CA and decide on whether or not to use it elsewhere.

We will see, but as long as the other changes work fine with it, I'm optimistic.

eh dunno

if meter is more valuable, people will decide not to use it on Ex moves just to have an invincible wakeup. they will just keep blocking

honestly this is why the old SF3 super system was the best. I don't like some things about that game but the meter system was on point

for people optimizing for meter, we'd need moves that build more bar in exchange for damage and dunno if that is possible for most chars

if super meter is rarer, they should divide the bar in 4 or 5 segments so EX moves are cheaper

eh dunno

if meter is more valuable, people will decide not to use it on Ex moves just to have an invincible wakeup. they will just keep blocking

honestly this is why the old SF3 super system was the best

I don't like some things about that game but the meter system was on point

for people optimizing for meter, we'd need moves that build more bar in exchange for damage and dunno if that is possible for most chars

Yeah, some characters might get less out of this than others. Hopefully Wosh was referring to individual nerfs of meter gain through certain moves and not across the board then.

Mr. X

Yeah, I'm interested how this will turn out for the balance of the game. It looks like they are playing with every aspect of it.

There is also a big Capcom sale going on at Humble:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/...th-the-capcom-sale-on-the-humble-bundle-store

50% off SFV
40% off SFV deluxe
25% Season 1

They should pay attention because it's $1.50 less to buy separately than Deluxe

Urien can punish people who upback meaty throws and tick throws https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB8XREQRWIs

While further single player modes are welcome, part of me is actually glad SF5 didn't have anything worth playing solo.

Thinking back to all the fighting games I've played over the years, there's one thing that's always been present for me, bad habits.
I always developed a bunch of bad habits because I never got to play a lot of people except a few friends (and they all played different things, some soul calibur, others tekken), so naturally in down times I'd fight AI.

It wasn't until HDRemix launched that I really started playing people, thanks to xbox live.
But then SF4 launched, got it day one and just spent time going through arcade mode a bunch of times, ultimately just trashing the AI even on hardest difficulties because it was still pretty predictable.

So yeah I managed to beat most of my friends and people at school in HDRemix because I had online experience in that game, but when I brought SF4 to school a few days after release, I had a super hard time against some of the people I'd beat handily in HDR.

It was literally just because I was doing things that worked on AI and didn't understand what my opponents were doing, it took me a month of just playing online before I started beating them convincingly again.
In USF4 I don't think I even touched any of the SP modes, just picked decapre, tried some stuff in training and then just went online exclusively.

With SFV, that stage of developing bad habits never really happened, it was pretty much just being in the lab trying out things and being online fighting actual people.
The lack of SP has honestly made me a better player faster, imo.

Dubz

Looking for a silver to gold player to spar with my Rashid. I'm a Silver myself...2000 LP.

On PC now and the name is Dubzinator

So Daigo can lose and still move forward?

GuD0qX1.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Small rant time: Jumping is way too good in this game. The pay-off is so amazing if you just start jumping in footsie range, the risk-reward is ridiculous. The most effective counter is to go air-to-air with a jump-back normal if you don't have an amazing standing jab and that leads you to the corner and does very little damage. I play so many players in platinum where that is all they are doing and I'm tired of it. Even if I beat them I haven't learned anything. I just want to play some neutral from time to time...

JayEH

How can they change that? Would making jump in hit boxes worse work? Make everyone have a more solid AA? I agree it's frustrating, just played a mika literally jumping 10-20 times a round and I stop 9-19 of them but that one time she's successful I'm dead.

Anyone know where the art is from?

She's in the background of the beach stage, too. So..kinda makes sense?

Ono: "No Sakura because we got an even younger waifu for you guys now"

Sorry I missed u my wife and kid just got home. I'll be on later

NP

There's a Japanese fan that drew and posted a picture of Hinata making his drawing fit the silhouette of the 4th new dlc character. That's basically the artists' prediction. The entire fgc thinks it's official or some kind of leak.

Skab

There's a Japanese fan that drew and posted a picture of Hinata making his drawing fit the silhouette of the 4th new dlc character. The entire fgc thinks it's official or some kind of leak.

Ahhh gotcha.

I just saw it on twitter, which seems to be where it came from in the first place.

Carry on people.

Village

Looked bad then, still looks bad now.
If you want to be wrong I wont stop you . You can make that choice.

They don't need to when Capcom is already doing it for them.

I did mention that.

Seriously though, probably because the retro costume was announced, later so people probably gave up on it. There wasn't any retro outfit announced for juri

Alex is fine.
I've been told he's garbage multiple times, so I went with it. I play with him anyway

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, if it's retrofitted, who cares? The next artist will draw a fitting Doll.

How can they change that? Would making jump in hit boxes worse work? Make everyone have a more solid AA? I agree it's frustrating, just played a mika literally jumping 10-20 times a round and I stop 9-19 of them but that one time she's successful I'm dead.
They cant change it, unless they give everyone a good anti-air light or Birdie's cr.mp or whatever it is. The game is supposed to be played up close or outside of footsie range. That's why dashes are so good, to close that gap. It's just pretty damn frustrating to try to actually play at good ranges for your normals only to set yourself up for the next predictable jump.

HardRojo

Now that I think about it, didn't Capcom say they wanted to avoid another SF III situation? The characters for Season 2 seem to go against that idea, no?

JayEH

Now that I think about it, didn't Capcom say they wanted to avoid another SF III situation? The characters for Season 2 seem to go against that idea, no?

I do remember an interview where they said this. I guess they said fuck it because the game isn't getting anymore popular. People didn't buy this game for reasons that are different from III.

Mizerman

I think it was more like they didn't want to do a complete reboot a la SF3. I don't think they said that new characters were completely off the table.

If we do get a Rival Schools character, I'd want it to be Tiffany or Roy tbh. They were both insanely fun in Project Justice and we need more brawler characters in this game.

remz

They've already avoided it by having a lot of old charas/fan favs in Season 1. The SF3 problem was that the game literally only had ryu and ken and a bunch of randoms

Have we gotten confirmation if Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu is 0 frames in this game? And if it can be cancelled from Overhead like in previous games??

Neoxon

As above, almost a year for akuma in second impact and two years for chun in 3rd strike. And that's it. Just the 4 of them. SFV already has more legacy characters.
  • Street Fighter: Ryu, Ken, Birdie
  • Street Fighter II: Chun-Li, Zangief, Dhalsim, M. Bison (Dictator), Vega (Claw), Balrog (Boxer), Cammy
  • Street Fighter Alpha: Charlie Nash, Karin Kanzuki, Rainbow Mika
  • Street Fighter III: Alex, Ibuki, Urien
  • Street Fighter IV: Juri
I think Capcom avoided a SFIII situation.

mbpm1

Have we gotten confirmation if Akuma's Shun Goku Satsu is 0 frames in this game? And if it can be cancelled from Overhead like in previous games??

Cancellable from roundhouse or sweep whiff in the same way as before Justin Wong seemed to think

The rest we don't know

• Street Fighter II: Chun-Li, Zangief, Dhalsim, M. Bison (Dictator), Vega (Claw), Balrog (Boxer), Cammy
I think Capcom avoided a SFIII situation.

Seems like somebody's missing...

Neoxon

Seems like somebody's missing...
Oh, almost forgot.
  • Street Fighter II: Chun-Li, Zangief, Dhalsim, M. Bison (Dictator), Vega (Claw), Balrog (Boxer), Cammy, Akuma
I was mainly thinking of the Season 1 crew.

Oh, almost forgot.
  • Street Fighter II: Chun-Li, Zangief, Dhalsim, M. Bison (Dictator), Vega (Claw), Balrog (Boxer), Cammy, Akuma
I was mainly thinking of the Season 1 crew.

There we go. Much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom