• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

That's because cr.mp was not the button to AA it, st.lp was.

The hurtbox for that move fell beneath her legs so any straight-hitting normals will work. I think you mean the cr.hp that had to be done preemptively.

I did mean cr.MP. In my time with Birdie, I didn't have enough Chun experience, but I do know that the cr.MP got stuffed every single time on reaction with him, while I could AA on reaction with other characters. st.LP sounds weird; wouldn't his hurtbox have prevented him from AAing IAL on reaction?

I did mean cr.MP. In my time with Birdie, I didn't have enough Chun experience, but I do know that the cr.MP got stuffed every single time on reaction with him, while I could AA on reaction with other characters. st.LP sounds weird; wouldn't his hurtbox have prevented him from AAing IAL on reaction?

The way the move works, it hits pretty much the area of where his head is when he's standing.

That's not where you wanted to hit. You wanted to use a move that hit forward, aimed towards the legs, particularly underneath the legs. That's why Mika can AA with st.lp if she's fast enough, or the more safer cr.lp

Few characters have mediums with hit boxes that cover that area in front of the character that can deal with it (FANG's cr.mk is a good one) but Birdie's cr.mp doesn't work that way. St.lp was the best solution and even that one wasn't always the greatest because of his height.

A preemptive cr.hp was literally the best option as the hitbox on the initial active frames are perfect for dealing with it and can be cancelled into target combo/v-skill for better followup.

EDIT: cr.mp would work if the IAL was done later than we usually see, so her legs would be above his head. But most good chuns have the timing perfected.

FluxWaveZ

The way the move works, it hits pretty much the area of where his head is when he's standing.

That's not where you wanted to hit. You wanted to use a move that hit forward, aimed towards the legs, particularly underneath the legs. That's why Mika can AA with st.lp if she's fast enough, or the more safer cr.lp

Few characters have mediums with hit boxes that cover that area in front of the character that can deal with it (FANG's cr.mk is a good one) but Birdie's cr.mp doesn't work that way. St.lp was the best solution and even that one wasn't always the greatest because of his height.

A preemptive cr.hp was literally the best option as the hitbox on the initial active frames are perfect for dealing with it and can be cancelled into target combo/v-skill for better followup.

EDIT: cr.mp would work if the IAL was done later than we usually see, so her legs would be above his head. But most good chuns have the timing perfected.

And all of this is exactly why I'm saying IAL was too powerful. Constant conditional considerations to face Chun-Li's main pressure option when she already has great long range footsie tools was dumb.

And all of this is exactly why I'm saying IAL was too powerful. Constant conditional considerations to face Chun-Li's main pressure option when she already has great long range footsie tools was dumb.

Well yes, I agree that it was a stupidly good move but I'm just saying that cr.mp just wasn't the button to beat that move (and even in S2, still might not be).

Shadoken

At high levels it was all about abusing his bullshit. Hence the dislike of removing the bs.

Floe thinks Laura is S2s Mika. I had the exact same thought halfway through the changes.

Even at high levels it was player dependent. See how Bonchan plays , very different from infiltrations abuse play style. Sad that Bonchan wasn't able to qualify for Capcom cup , he took a while to get solid st the game .

I think tier lists are gonna be the same but just swap Mika and Laura lmao. People seriously underestimate the strength of their existing tools. Even after being nerfed they aren't going to stop doing what they were intended to do. Just easier to punish when used incorrectly.

Kashiwaba

So basically they nerfed Mika and Chun because they are overpowered but they decided to turn Urien into a monster, he was hard to deal with already.

kirblar

Even at high levels it was player dependent. See how Bonchan plays , very different from infiltrations abuse play style. Sad that Bonchan wasn't able to qualify for Capcom cup , he took a while to get solid st the game .

I think tier lists are gonna be the same but just swap Mika and Laura lmao. People seriously underestimate the strength of their existing tools. Even after being nerfed they aren't going to stop doing what they were intended to do. Just easier to punish when used incorrectly.
Bonchan never put up the results others did with the character though.

Skilletor

Bonchan never put up the results others did with the character though.

He was doing better than Infil at the end with Charlie.

Even Infiltration says Bonchan had a better Charlie than he did. I agree he peaked late and because Infil was dominating early, Charlie is one of the characters that got broke open , so it was harder at that level to get results.

So who's buying the holiday costumes

Me.

Expensive day. Whatever nostalgia outfits drop today, bought. Holiday pack, bought. Season Pass x 2, bought.

And Shantae on top of all of that.

He did towards the end of the season. Anyone will admit he is the currently the best Nash player. It's just that it really took him some time to figure out the right play style.
Agreed. He only started playing Nash as his competitive choice towards the middle/later part of the season but damn if his Nash was not a sight to see.

I saw him AA with light moonsault. The dude just has an understanding of the character's capabilities the likes of which are rare to see.

Kashiwaba

Urien isn't that hard to deal with currently. Playing against Mika was like playing in a blender.

Mika was a different level of annoyance, literally i hate playing against her it's not fun at all it's straightforward cheap character but on the good side not a lot of people keow how to play her, so you don't run into many Mikas, unlike Chun, Ryu and Urien.

Posted in the other thread but leaving here too, just my thoughts on the Laura changes.

The Laura changes are really pushing for players to use her riskier than trying to play a solid neutral game. These types of normal nerfs were all over the place with other characters though so I'm not totally sure what they're going for. Overall they've nerfed her ground game, so I'm not sure how exactly were supposed to contest against Chun/Karin in the footsies section..

While her overhead being + is a cool buff, it promotes players to.. actually use it more when it's still -7 and they added extra hurtboxes on it so it could trade more often lol. Really and truly her overhead is an online classic. I've lost a few tournament matches by thinking it was a good idea to use it at any point of the match except for if it's meaty lol.

The buffs to her regular command throws are great as well. 5f start up and extra damage. Again it's promoting riskier play in using it, but it'll be better for tick-command throws. Ex command throw being projectile invincible finally gives it some great use. Really good buff for her, it'll make a few of her problem matchups a bit more accessible. For example, against Guile you really don't have a great way to get in vs her V-Skill Booms, If you jump -> flash kick, her walkspeed is really poor so you don't make much ground in trying to walk forward against Guile's projectile pressure. Having the ex command throw through the V-Skill boom makes the matchup a bit better, but it'll still be a tough one.

Her cr.LP having an additional +1 of hitstun is a great change. Gives her a valid empty jump low option.

I really don't get the change to her target combo being +2 on hit lol, unless if TC on counter hit are registered for the 2nd attack as well then it's good. (someone answer this for me pls)

Her two HP target combo being a frame faster is good. Better for poking with and great if you can hit confirm it into HP Elbow.

Ex Thunderclap juggles a bit better. Cool change, makes her a bit more consistent.

Overall, she's still a good character. Her neutral game got a bit worse IMO with her go-to pokes getting bodied. I don't feel like they really fixed her main issues with this patch. St.MP is still just okay as an AA. HP Elbow is still gonna get stuffed or trade with tons of jump-ins unless done at the height of their jump arc. She'll still lose the matchups she lost to before IMO.

The biggest buffs for her (and every other grappler) were the system changes IMO. No more worrying about DP's through blockstrings or during oki situations, some characters lost their throw loops, grey life going down slower is a plus and the input lag is still at 6.5 frames so when you thought you jumped, you actually didn't so you still have to hold the command throw lmao.

tl;dr, nerfed her neutral game and promoted more risky/ham type gameplay. buffed indirectly by characters losing invul on their DP's so less second guessing between baiting and attacking on their wakeup and between blockstrings. Can't really tell if overall she's a much better character, but with the top tiers getting nerfed a bit, she should have a good spot on the tier list instead of potential bottom 5.

HardRojo

7.6 freaking GBs! I requested my ISP to improve my connection but that's not happening till Monday next week, wish it could be done right now so I could download this patch in an instant.

Taken from here.

Update 2.0 includes:

2017 Character Pass now available for purchase $29.99 USD
Akuma now available for purchase 100,000 FM / $5.99 USD
Akuma Story Costume now available for purchase 40,000 FM / $1.99
Akuma Premium Battle Costume & Nostalgia Costume now available for purchase $3.99 per costume
Premium B-Boy (Ryu) and B-Girl (Chun-Li) costumes now available for purchase (includes colors 1 – 10) $3.99 per costume
Holiday Bundle (Premium Holiday Costumes + Frosty Boulevard Stage) now available for purchase $19.99 USD (Ending Jan. 17)
Premium Holiday Costumes (Zangief / R. Mika / Laura / Ken / Karin / Juri) now available for purchase $3.99 USD per costume
Stage: Frosty Boulevard now available for purchase 40,000 FM / $1.99 USD (Ending Jan. 17)
Stage: Temple of Ascension now available for purchase 70,000 FM / $3.99 USD
Default Color Pack 2017 Season now available for purchase 40,000 FM / $1.99 USD
Story Color Pack 2017 Season now available for purchase 40,000 FM / $1.99 USD
PC Direct Input controller support (Steam/PC version)
BGM Select
A new information banner
Fighter Profile Radar chart
Updated Rage-Quit system
So the Nostalgia Costume is indeed a premium costume :(

Everything looks worse for him except for his inside game and AA
Everyone's mediums got nerfed. Alex just feels those nerfs a little harder. His Air Stampede got a great buff though, and his AA game is way better now, which compensates for the st.lp nerf. Lariat buff + more combo options in the footsie range mean Alex still has a shot at being way better than he was S1.

Whales

Banned
oh shit

I hope akuma is playable for us season pass buyers once the update is finished ( 7 mins left... gotta leave in like 30mins fo ran exam, cmon capcom)

oh shit

I hope akuma is playable for us season pass buyers once the update is finished ( 7 mins left... gotta leave in like 30mins fo ran exam, cmon capcom)
Nope.

The game has to log in to CFN to verify your purchases and allow you access and you can't do that while the servers are down so Akuma and all other new stuff will become available when the servers open up again.

All existing stuff will be useable, and you can probably test out the new S2 stuff.

Whales

Banned
Nope.

The game has to log in to CFN to verify your purchases and allow you access and you can't do that while the servers are down so Akuma and all other new stuff will become available when the servers open up again.

All existing stuff will be useable, and you can probably test out the new S2 stuff.

damn it

Oh well, guess I will play around with him tonight! thanks luce (again)

Welp, looks like Im gonna be forced to play it tomorrow. Steam Remote play wont let me download the update :(

Not sure if the steam update is actually out right now, I can only confirm the ps4 one's out now.

It should be out within a few hours at the most if it isn't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom