• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted in the other thread but leaving here too, just my thoughts on the Laura changes.

The Laura changes are really pushing for players to use her riskier than trying to play a solid neutral game. These types of normal nerfs were all over the place with other characters though so I'm not totally sure what they're going for. Overall they've nerfed her ground game, so I'm not sure how exactly were supposed to contest against Chun/Karin in the footsies section..

While her overhead being + is a cool buff, it promotes players to.. actually use it more when it's still -7 and they added extra hurtboxes on it so it could trade more often lol. Really and truly her overhead is an online classic. I've lost a few tournament matches by thinking it was a good idea to use it at any point of the match except for if it's meaty lol.

The buffs to her regular command throws are great as well. 5f start up and extra damage. Again it's promoting riskier play in using it, but it'll be better for tick-command throws. Ex command throw being projectile invincible finally gives it some great use. Really good buff for her, it'll make a few of her problem matchups a bit more accessible. For example, against Guile you really don't have a great way to get in vs her V-Skill Booms, If you jump -> flash kick, her walkspeed is really poor so you don't make much ground in trying to walk forward against Guile's projectile pressure. Having the ex command throw through the V-Skill boom makes the matchup a bit better, but it'll still be a tough one.

Her cr.LP having an additional +1 of hitstun is a great change. Gives her a valid empty jump low option.

I really don't get the change to her target combo being +2 on hit lol, unless if TC on counter hit are registered for the 2nd attack as well then it's good. (someone answer this for me pls)

Her two HP target combo being a frame faster is good. Better for poking with and great if you can hit confirm it into HP Elbow.

Ex Thunderclap juggles a bit better. Cool change, makes her a bit more consistent.

Overall, she's still a good character. Her neutral game got a bit worse IMO with her go-to pokes getting bodied. I don't feel like they really fixed her main issues with this patch. St.MP is still just okay as an AA. HP Elbow is still gonna get stuffed or trade with tons of jump-ins unless done at the height of their jump arc. She'll still lose the matchups she lost to before IMO.

The biggest buffs for her (and every other grappler) were the system changes IMO. No more worrying about DP's through blockstrings or during oki situations, some characters lost their throw loops, grey life going down slower is a plus and the input lag is still at 6.5 frames so when you thought you jumped, you actually didn't so you still have to hold the command throw lmao.

tl;dr, nerfed her neutral game and promoted more risky/ham type gameplay. buffed indirectly by characters losing invul on their DP's so less second guessing between baiting and attacking on their wakeup and between blockstrings. Can't really tell if overall she's a much better character, but with the top tiers getting nerfed a bit, she should have a good spot on the tier list instead of potential bottom 5.
I think Capcom was concerned the system changes would make grapplers too OD so they nerfed most of them and not Gief because he was garbage already. Can anyone confirm if Ken got new combos or juggles. Might try him or Nash again.

I think Capcom was concerned the system changes would make grapplers too OD so they nerfed most of them and not Gief because he was garbage already. Can anyone confirm if Ken got new combos or juggles. Might try him or Nash again.

How they nerfed Laura's and Alex' neutral game kinda seems unnecessary imo but we'll see how it plays out

The speed of the game feels totally different now. Like it's guiding people to play SFV the right way which I think people had issues with.

The damage nerf and meter nerf makes you think a lot more now. I kinda like this.

Wait. How big is this update? I have 30gbs free on PS4 and can't download it.

7,6GB

On another note, any chance they might end the maintenance time earlier than planned? Has this ever happened before? I still wanna try out some Akuma before I go to bed for work.

I just had an idea for a really simple combo training app. Tell me if you think this is dumb:

* User inputs a desired combo, entering a) buttons pushed, and b) ideal frame count details (frames between button presses)

* User hits start, and a countdown begins. When the correct time to press each button is reached, an audible signal sounds.

So you'd hear "beep... beep..beepbeep" or something for a hp > mp > special > CA"

I feel like when I'm having trouble with the timing of inputs it would be really helpful to hear the ideal timing and try to match my own presses (and the sound of me hitting the buttons) to those sounds. Developing a rhythm that way (combined with watching the animations play out) could help my muscle memory.

You could even have an offline mode with a six-button layout on your phone and each button lights up at the correct moment so you could practice timing on the go or wherever.

FluxWaveZ

Oh my god, the clap is so slow now. I feel like the sound effect should have changed to two steel frames being slammed against each other or something because of how it feels now.

I understand that EX Peach change, now. Essentially a buff, since she won't drop the juggle as easily as before.

So it's pretty much what I thought: same game plan, but far worse neutral. Obviously sticking with her. Eager to try her out in a real match.

Edit: Mic damage buff nerf means that mic > super combo will do the same damage as a jump-in combo to the same end.

I'm rocking with ken no matter what, but I think I'm just going to buy Akuma and his stage, that's about it...1 million FM should take me far though the season this year, likely won't use it for anything other than stages or if a new character is particularly cool looking and fits my play style.

I feel like Mitsirugi and Maxi in SC fit my Ken play style, still looking for my "Kilik" in the SF world.

Ketch

I don't know what any of the changes mean. Will it be less frustrating to fight scrubs who use cheap shit? Also is guile better or worse then he was?

MindofKB

I find the pro players' whining hilarious. Chris T abandoning Ken and Infiltration claiming Nash is dead are both huge overreactions.

Remember when Guile came out and Dieminion shat on him? Du seemed to play him pretty well.

Remember when the game dropped and Filipino Champ shat on Sim? He seemed to do pretty well with him throughout the first season.

People need to give Season 2 a chance and realize that their main didn't get changed in a vacuum. The entire roster got shifted so matchups and opportunities have changed across the board.

FluxWaveZ

air legs still hits crouching. Guess the dude from that twittee vid wasnt doing it properly

The same way as before? It seemed pretty close in that video.

Ooh, that reduction in the time where an opponent is falling after a passion throw is definitely felt when you're trying to measure them hitting the corner.

Producer

The same way as before? It seemed pretty close in that video.

Ooh, that reduction in the time where an opponent is falling after a passion throw is definitely felt when you're trying to measure them hitting the corner.

Nah it does hit a bit later, at least it feels that way. If you dont do it at lowest height it will whiff entirely

Skilletor

I don't know what any of the changes mean. Will it be less frustrating to fight scrubs who use cheap shit? Also is guile better or worse then he was?

Not with that mentality. There wasn't much "cheap shit" in this game and it's almost certainly not why you were losing.

Guile seems better than he was. F+HK is godlike, knee is better, normals got buffed, vtrig is 2 bars.

I find the pro players' whining hilarious. Chris T abandoning Ken and Infiltration claiming Nash is dead are both huge overreactions.

Remember when Guile came out and Dieminion shat on him? Du seemed to play him pretty well.

Remember when the game dropped and Filipino Champ shat on Sim? He seemed to do pretty well with him throughout the first season.

People need to give Season 2 a chance and realize that their main didn't get changed in a vacuum. The entire roster got shifted so matchups and opportunities have changed across the board.
Chris T is overreacting IMO.

Infil isn't lol, Nash got it the worst this patch IMO.

Onemic

Looks like the patch wont hit Steam until after maintenance, so 8pm EST most likely. Welp.

Looks like Ill be playing Akuma tomorrow night instead of today.

Can some please tell me how to initiate the update for PS4? I'm at work and I'm trying to have my wife update it for me.

It's a regular PSN download so it should update automatically.

In case it's not, log in to the PS4, go to the dashboard, highlight SF5 and press the options button. Then select "Check for Updates". It should then successfully check that there is one available and download it.

One more thing, when the file is downloaded you need to start the game once for the patch to successfully install, but that's a bit of a trivial matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom