• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxkis_ii

It's tactical retreats to make you run into stuff :)

It's one thing if we're having a heated exchange and then you back up to catch me slippin, but running the whole match is just not fun to fight against. I understand people caring more about winning then having fun but come on.

Skilletor

It's one thing if we're having a heated exchange and then you back up to catch me slippin, but running the whole match is just not fun to fight against. I understand people caring more about winning then having fun but come on.

Perhaps that is fun to them. Not everybody enjoys aggressive play. I love playing Guile and seeing my opponent get so frustrated that their next move is obvious, which only frustrates them more when they realize they can't jump in on freedom.

mbpm1

Have you ever played tower defense games?

It's kind the same concept. You're keeping your opponent from even touching you, and it's fun in that way.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is that in other games, I would just walk players like this to the corner and keep them there. But that's almost impossible in this game. Especially without good anti-airs.

Okay I need match up help. What and how do I punish Karin? It feels like everything is safe and I never get a turn to go on the offense.

Just buttons buttons buttons. Frustrating.
Her + buttons are cr.lp, st.lk (+3!), cr.mp.
But st.mk is 0 and has great range.

You can punish a lot of things. All the non-EX kicks are -4 and more. All the overheads are -4 and more. Shoulder is -2 and so are EX kicks. Every tenko on block is punishable and so is EX shoulder.

Roxkis_ii

With Guile, Vega and Bison, it's expected and I guess their move sets kinda lead them to that from my experience fighting them.

It when its Ken's and Ryu's play run away all match is when I find that play style the most annoying.

Thinking about it, it might just be the salt talking. I know losing it apart of getting better, but I feel increased sodium when I lose to a person I feel is playing in a cowardly way. Like, did I really lose to that!?

remz

The thing is that in other games, I would just walk players like this to the corner and keep them there. But that's almost impossible in this game. Especially without good anti-airs.
Basically yeah. Used to do that all day in ki. Dunno if I'm just bad at sfv or wat

mbpm1

With Guile, Vega and Bison, it's expected and I guess their move sets kinda lead them to that from my experience fighting them.

It when its Ken's and Ryu's play run away all match is when I find that play style the most annoying.

Thinking about it, it might just be the salt talking. I know losing it apart of getting better, but I feel increased sodium when I lose to a person I feel is playing in a cowardly way. Like, did I really lose to that!?
Every character can do this in this game. It's a playstyle, not an enforced choice.

TBF, it would be an incredibly tragedy if Akuma was shitty.

Like, it's fucking Akuma.

DLC characters besides Ibuki and maybe Alex have been on point. Especially Urien. Juri needs more work because setting up charges is hard to do with her playstyle, but Hisen put in that effort and made her decent.

I doubt Akuma or most other DLC characters are going to be bad.

Skab

Her + buttons are cr.lp, st.lk (+3!), cr.mp.
But st.mk is 0 and has great range.

You can punish a lot of things. All the non-EX kicks are -4 and more. All the overheads are -4 and more. Shoulder is -2 and so are EX kicks. Every tenko on block is punishable and so is EX shoulder.

Thank you! I honestly dont know (visually) which of her buttons is which, so I'll have to go into the lab for a bit.

DLC characters besides Ibuki and maybe Alex have been on point. Especially Urien. Juri needs more work because setting up charges is hard to do with her playstyle, but Hisen put in that effort and made her decent.

I doubt Akuma or most other DLC characters are going to be bad.

Oh, I agree entirely. I was mainly just responding to synce's complain about yet another top tier shoto

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Most Nash players feel like they just do a random mix of dashes, throws, scythes and fireballs. Feels like I can't learn anything in this one. And after you walk them down to the corner they're waiting for their chance to V-Reversal or V-Trigger and you start all over again.

Akuma's going to need a lot of tools in a game with damage like SFV.
Akuma will have some kind of air movement and fireballs. Every character has damage in this game.

Tizoc

So the CPT pack comes with
5 outfits
1 stage
Right?
I plan on getting it before it gets delisted in coming weeks :X

Producer

Most Nash players feel like they just do a random mix of dashes, throws, scythes and fireballs. Feels like I can't learn anything in this one. And after you walk them down to the corner they're waiting for their chance to V-Reversal or V-Trigger and you start all over again.

Akuma will have some kind of air movement and fireballs. Every character has damage in this game.

I've started throwing out and buffering normals in the mid range so they can run into them when they go for dash up throw or dash up buttons. It has been working great for me.

Skilletor

Misunderstood the way you wrote your first post, sorry. Still not 330k from sales though, its 100k. (im still confused on where you got 330k from)

I imagine he's adding the percentage of the total sold to the pot prize. Not all of money went to the pot.

Aenima

Man, it people doing that in lower ranks too. It's such a weak fighting style to fight against.
This is a fighting game. Stop running and scrap!

Yes, im in Ultra Bronze fighting a Ryu today with my Rashid, and all that Ryu did was walking back not even trowing fireballs, he just waited for me to attack and punish me... well it only worked the 1st 10 seconds, once i started aplying pressure and doing more safe attacks, the Ryu player ended up in a corned to never get out untill it got KOd. We fought 2 matches he played the same way the 2 times, just walking back and waiting for me to attack. Turtling is an annoying fighting style.

meerak

On the topic of "run away players" I am one.. (oh and sorry I haven't introduced myself yet, do people do that? care for that here?)

And last night I ran into a bastard worse than myself!

Then, I fell in love with a Vega move I really don't use nearly enough.

Command Grab.

Oh sweet, sweet command grab, how and why did I neglect you for so long...

You can't duck this you bastard!

If a player runs away, it means they don't know how to play footies beyond general spacing.

Make them eat big punishes. Mix up your stuff. For Urien, I'll space my knee drops and psych them out, then get in. Oh, look at that, you are in the corner and free to whatever random AR mashed out combo I can muster.

Mixing up fireballs is great too, because it allows you to get in with your timing. Any forward carrying movement moves help as well, especially when you know how to place that shit right right and make them whiff their twenty or so sweeps.

I actually like this playstyle because it means free wins for me.

JayEH

Just don't get frustrated by people running away. That's what they want from you. Eventually they'll have to jump out of the corner they put themselves in.

Oh, and play the clock, too. Make them sweat. It's a resource just as anything else. Stages are short, too, so it shouldn't take too long to chase them down and get some big damage every so often.

Marvel

could never
I'm too derpy for my own good to run away, I'll lose a big life lead by continously trying to get a cross-up for some stupid combo I learned.

Need to dial back my aggression.

ArjanN

Yeah, kinda seems a lot of them are just trying to whittle your life down enough with random stuff that his CA will kill.

Producer

Ok I'm joining now

GGs, sorry to cut it short but i have to head out. That wild Rashid style definately had me on edge. Lets get some more games in sometime.

Any advice? I've been stuck like this for a while lol

Well only thing i can say is to cut down on the eagle spikes since they are unsafe and can be punished pretty easily. Maybe could work a bit on the anti airs but not sure whats the best button for him, standing short maybe?

stn

Alex is so much fun! Definitely using him for the long haul. I managed to mimic all the combos, setups, and things I've seen the top players do with him, but I don't see the input for his suplex? I'm talking about the one he does after a V-trigger clothesline and fierce flash chop. Thanks!

Edzi

Alex is so much fun! Definitely using him for the long haul. I managed to mimic all the combos, setups, and things I've seen the top players do with him, but I don't see the input for his suplex? I'm talking about the one he does after a V-trigger clothesline and fierce flash chop. Thanks!

Do his power bomb/half circle back punch motion after those moves.

pizzacat

Banned
Its the same movement as power bomb

stn

Yeah, lol, I'm just about to finish his trials and I found it. Thanks! I've been bullish on this roster before due to its small size, but some of the characters are really growing on me as of late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom