• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laura player, checking in. Our people are small in number, but we have great spirit.

Laura players:

giphy.gif

But don't get me wrong. I also main Alex and Urien. What, you thought I ONLY mained Laura? Come on. I'm not a weirdo.

(More power to you, Laura devotees.)

Sure, my 3 mains are Mika, Urien and Rashid. But I wouldn't call myself a Rashid player.

The difference between my skill as Mika and my skill as Urien/Rashid is huge.

I've pretty much played myself into a corner, and lost all hope that I can properly learn a second character lol.

Playing multiples can be tough, but oftentimes, stretching yourself by trying a new character can end up improving your main.

It always feels good to play a bit of character B and have a resulting epiphany about something you've been doing wrong all along with character A.

Veal

I really feel like Laura is one those characters that could easily become too good if buffed carelessly, but definitely needs some retooling. Her stupid floaty jump is one. The amount of close range fireballs I've jumped only to still be too slow to punish is ridiculous. It's also surprisingly difficult to cross up at times.

I'm at work at the moment but if anyone would like to get some matches sometime that would be great! I fluctuate between super gold and ultra silver, so you probably won't have much to worry about with me haha!

CFN: Hamonenchi

Playing multiples can be tough, but oftentimes, stretching yourself by trying a new character can end up improving your main.

It always feels good to play a bit of character B and have a resulting epiphany about something you've been doing wrong all along with character A.

I just wish there was a way to not have to deal with playing people with the same LP while also being better than me because I'm practicing a new character.

I kinda wish your LP would be different for each character, kinda like most Arcsys fighters.

I just wish there was a way to not have to deal with playing people with the same LP while also being better than me because I'm practicing a new character.

I kinda wish your LP would be different for each character, kinda like most Arcsys fighters.

Or like how USF4 had both player points and battle points?

I was never a SFIV player, so I wouldn't really know anything about that.

I believe from SSF4 onwards they had player points, which are exactly like LP in this game, and Battle points which are like your ranking with a particular character but a lot of the times it just meant that you grinded with that character a lot.

I believe from SSF4 onwards they had player points, which are exactly like LP in this game, and Battle points which are like your ranking with a particular character but a lot of the times it just meant that you grinded with that character a lot.

Yeah. Do that, but with the matchmaking of this.

I just saw that new rashidoooooo stage. Whose dumbass idea was that one? Felt like I was gonna toss my cookies watching that

I don't know, I think it looks pretty cool. Capcom has already said that not every stage will be designed with tournament play in mind so they go a little crazy in some stages like the Kanzuki Beach stage and now this.

And it's much more distracting when you're spectating, when you're playing it's tough to even notice stuff happening in the background.

I don't know, I think it looks pretty cool. Capcom has already said that not every stage will be designed with tournament play in mind so they go a little crazy in some stages like the Kanzuki Beach stage and now this.

And it's much more distracting when you're spectating, when you're playing it's tough to even notice stuff happening in the background.

Yeah. If I can manage to not get distracted with Starfox's Smash Bros stages, I think I'll be more than fine with this.

Yeah, it's weird...like the floor isn't moving, but looks like it. Really disorienting to my brain haha. I hated their other "novelty" stage with the beach also for a similar reason =/

Yeah, it's weird...like the floor isn't moving, but looks like it. Really disorienting to my brain haha. I hated their other "novelty" stage with the beach also for a similar reason =/

I really dislike the Kanzuki beach stage too. Lighting is just weird and the water covering the feet tends to throw off my sense of spacing at times.

But I've quite enjoyed this stage and the music is dope too.

Man, RB cemented my love of Urien. I'm going to rock that character even if I'm ass with him. He's way more fun than Nash, and I'm having more fun playing him.

Tell me I'm on the right path with Alex here, please:

-Use L. flash chop outside footsie range
-AA with cr. fp, st. jab, and EX rising knee
-Setup POWAHBOMB with st. fp on block if sure opponent won't press buttons
-cr. lk x cr. jab xx EX flash good hit-confirm
-Use V-skill right when you dizzy opponent
-Long-range poke with st. HK
-Use headbutt and stomp cancelled off light normals for setups
-Off of st. fp CC, dash in and POWAHBOMB or continue pressure
-Use V-trigger clothesline as a parry

Missing anything? Is it worthwhile to cancel into L. flash chop out of cr. jab for if spaced properly? Is it even safe?

Also worth noting Alex's sick corner combo. Whenever you have stun you can do V-skill -> HK -> HK Slash Elbow into the corner then cr. HP -> L. flash chop or CA.

Marvel

could never
I play Laura too! bess gurl

Between Tekken 7, the new season of Street Fighter and Injustice 2, it's going to be tough to divide my time next year.

And that's not including the insane amount of other games that I still have to play.
Yup same for me.

SFV Season 2 only for me next year. Will probably pick up Tekken and Injustice but won't play more than a week I suspect. Really going to try and make a go of it for SFV next year. Try and break out of pools in a major.

It's inevitable. The only question is when.

Plus I doubt that the Pro will realistically offer anything other than an increased resolution ( which granted is a massive graphical upgrade in itself). Also curious whether the Pro will become the tournament standard, assuming there is no difference in input lag or gameplay or anything.

EDIT: Also what mnz said.

EDIT2: Damn, NuckleDu really has Japan shook.

Buff Laura. Are there any Laura's on GAF? The resources for discussing this character are disappointingly small.
if you have any questions feel free to ask
But don't get me wrong. I also main Alex and Urien. What, you thought I ONLY mained Laura? Come on. I'm not a weirdo.

(More power to you, Laura devotees.)
lol I also use Alex and Urien but I felt like Alex and Laura were too similar. Urien is really fun but i've fallen off on all the tech.
I really feel like Laura is one those characters that could easily become too good if buffed carelessly, but definitely needs some retooling. Her stupid floaty jump is one. The amount of close range fireballs I've jumped only to still be too slow to punish is ridiculous. It's also surprisingly difficult to cross up at times.

I'm at work at the moment but if anyone would like to get some matches sometime that would be great! I fluctuate between super gold and ultra silver, so you probably won't have much to worry about with me haha!

CFN: Hamonenchi

Yea I understand what you mean by Laura could be too strong with certain buffs but right now she has some glaring issues that I hope get fixed.

Kikirin

So here's a question for the FANG player(s): when is it generally good to use the coward crouch + kick? Is it more than just a gimmick tool?

The fastest d.PPP~K comes out at around frame 23, so it seems like a terrible tool for pressure when the opponent is particularly mashy. Though I guess that could be covered when the opponent is put into situations where up balls have to be respected?

Low profiling fireballs seems like another immediate use, but is it particularly advantageous over other options? At the very least, the distances you can react with it are also distances where you can't use the kick afterwards.

It seems to be usable for some setups at least, to meaty both quick and back rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom