• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you done all the other characters too? that's crazy. i use the sticks on the ds4 too, but i don't have the patience to master all those combos.
Yeah. This game really is perhaps the most pad friendly fighting game out there.

I can do Karin's just frame tenkos consistently, have done long winded Urien combos and heck, I main FANG.

It really isn't an issue of the controller, though if you're used to another pad or used to stick then obviously it won't matter how good the DS4 is if you're not accustomed to it.

Bison's headstomp feels like it does not track as well. Opponent does not move and I land in front of them.

Upsetting.
I may be wrong here but from experience against Bison, I felt like only the EX version tracked and the rest just tracked my position when they leave the ground so I could move in front or backwards and have it not land.

I guess it's just me then. I can't get the air fireballs or the jump consistently.

For the air fireballs, try doing the shortcut for those types of moves.

Do a DP motion while on the ground, then forward+up then press the punch buttons. The fireball should come out as soon as possible.

It's pretty much what Chun players and Dhalsim Players do too for the IAL and air teleport respectively.

I guess it's just me then. I can't get the air fireballs or the jump consistently.

are you doing it while jumping forward? or if you activated your v-trigger, while jumping forward or backward?

what i do is jump and then do a hadouken motion in the air, it seems easy to me. release the stick in between jumping and the fireball input.

ElFly

I was hoping they would fix this.

Basically, Ken's sHK hits low enough to bypass Gief's armor during his sHP which leads to a CC. For comparison, his cLP gets absorbed. Karin is also still capable of this. Necalli's USED to do this as well in S1, but it no longer does since they specifically nerfed the hitbox for his sHK in S2. Laura is another character that has a sHK that hits about "waist-high" but it never bypassed Gief's armor like that even in S1. This is SO annoying in those MUs and it's disappointing they didn't change Ken's and Karin's sHK hitbox so that it doesn't hit so low resulting in this fuckery.

I don't know how fixable is this without building a special exception list for Zangief's HP

cause Ken and Karin need their kicks to hit low enough and Zangief needs to be hittable low enough

disclaimer: I main Zangief

Skilletor

have you done all the other characters too? that's crazy. i use the sticks on the ds4 too, but i don't have the patience to master all those combos.

I use a stick, but did everybody's trials on a pad just to see if I could. Haven't tried Akuma yet.

Gief was hardest for me on a pad.

are you doing it while jumping forward? or if you activated your v-trigger, while jumping forward or backward?

what i do is jump and then do a hadouken motion in the air, it seems easy to me. release the stick in between jumping and the fireball input.
Do the fireball motion(236) but end in upforward(2369), then press punch as soon as you see the jumping animation start.

ElFly

I use a stick, but did everybody's trials on a pad just to see if I could. Haven't tried Akuma yet.

Gief was hardest for me on a pad.

I use a pad, but it is a FC4 controller; I can do 360s and 720s on a DS4 pad but the real problem is button positioning

that said, I think I'd do better in a stick (I used to play hella Alpha 2 on a arcade) and I still cannot do instant air SPD consistently

The God

For the air fireballs, try doing the shortcut for those types of moves.

Do a DP motion while on the ground, then forward+up then press the punch buttons. The fireball should come out as soon as possible.

It's pretty much what Chun players and Dhalsim Players do too for the IAL and air teleport respectively.

I'm doing neutral jump, and there's no v trigger in the 7th trial.

I'm on dpad btw

Ohnonono

Played some Laura last night. Her overhead is pretty good atm. I am sure once people stop trying to punish it during Vtrigger it wont be as good but for now it is 100% lol. Command throw, especially EX feels much better.

I'm doing neutral jump, and there's no v trigger in the 7th trial.

I'm on dpad btw
Can't remember the trial exactly, but the neutral jump might be the issue. In normal conditions, Akuma can only throw air fireballs while forward jumping.

It's only when he's in V-Trigger that he can also do it in a neutral jump or back jump.

I'm assuming rage quitting will be down drastically?

Considering you lose LP everytime you do and probably still lose 1000 lp if you keep doing it like before, yes.

Still might not deter LTG but it might get demoralizing even for him going from Platinum to 0 LP.

I'm assuming rage quitting will be down drastically?

in ranked matches, sure, but probably not in casuals. i fought some guy last night who immediately quit as soon as i won. i checked his log and he had "won" every single casual match in recent history..

the problem with rage quitting casuals is that it doesn't save the match so you can't watch the replay and see what you did wrong or right, etc.

ElFly

Doesn't say but by the way it looks I would think it takes every match into account, from Rookie to Master. V-League has two for top 100 and top 10,000 and they look pretty different:
https://v-league.pro/tierslist

I def would not trust the top 100 one, cause it has several weird cases due to some matchups having very few samples. and some cases having no matches at all! (at a glance, Juri-Vega and Ken-Laura which is odd for two popular launch characters)

hell it has a 10-0 (Urien-Balrog) cause it only has 3 matches and Urien won them all (which in top 10000 is a 5.6)

top 10000 looks more reasonable

J-Skee

Looked into getting all the outfits for my main, but it's $12 total. Why, Capcom, why? At least they're not stuck behind loot boxes, I guess.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I def would not trust the top 100 one, cause it has several weird cases due to some matchups having very few samples. and some cases having no matches at all! (at a glance, Juri-Vega and Ken-Laura which is odd for two popular launch characters)

hell it has a 10-0 (Urien-Balrog) cause it only has 3 matches and Urien won them all (which in top 10000 is a 5.6)

top 10000 looks more reasonable
I know the top 100 one sucks, but that wasn't your question lol

Why is Juri considered to be bad?

The way I see it is the fact she needs to essentially charge her moves. In 4 she had a strong mix of defensive and offensive moves to use. You could play a Juri that could be always in your face or backdash away and zone you out with her normal and anti-air fireballs.

But now she has to take it a little slower and has to give the opponent time to breathe in order to recharge her moves if she wants a bigger damage output. Her zoning has also been weakened since her fireball only hits low and needs to be charged first.

I don't play Juri, those thoughts are just from my experience in 4 and playing with and against her in 5.

Mr. X

I don't know how fixable is this without building a special exception list for Zangief's HP

cause Ken and Karin need their kicks to hit low enough and Zangief needs to be hittable low enough

disclaimer: I main Zangief
Make said armor function with the same rules as standing blocking if it loses to lows.

Shmuppers

The way I see it is the fact she needs to essentially charge her moves. In 4 she had a strong mix of defensive and offensive moves to use. You could play a Juri that could be always in your face or backdash away and zone you out with her normal and anti-air fireballs.

But now she has to take it a little slower and has to give the opponent time to breathe in order to recharge her moves if she wants a bigger damage output. Her zoning has also been weakened since her fireball only hits low and needs to be charged first.

I don't play Juri, those thoughts are just from my experience in 4 and playing with and against her in 5.
Makes sense to me based on what I already know about her. Thanks!

Baleoce

Wait what. I just finished downloading the 9.7GB patch on Steam, and now it's doing another 5.5GB update. Are you having a laugh?

Wait what. I just finished downloading the 9.7GB patch on Steam, and now it's doing another 5.5GB update. Are you having a laugh?

The 5.5 GB update is for the Story DLC. I believe if you just uncheck it, the download will go away. Though you won't be able to play general story mode without it.

Akuma's F.HP can OTG.

I love that he's got a 5-Fierce combo. j.HP, c.HP, s.HP, follow-up s.HP, f.HP. Even works outside of the corner if you walk forward a tiny bit before the f.HP. It's pretty impractical because people will generally quick rise out of it, but I still love that he can do that at all.

mbpm1

SFV Ken

th

Are R. Mika's holiday costume colors floating around anywhere? I want to see if it is worth it (especially if there is an alt version that has the hat removed or something)

I've already downloaded and played through the story mode though.
Yeah, it's some weird thing where it's downloading the entire modified file. If you don't need it anymore then you can just uncheck the story mode dlc from steam and not download it.
Are R. Mika's holiday costume colors floating around anywhere? I want to see if it is worth it (especially if there is an alt version that has the hat removed or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEEt2nbrPY&feature=youtu.be&t=40s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom