• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd wager they want the characters out before Evo so that people actually USE them at CC. I'm guessing one a month, maybe a month off for some other new game mode or story thing.

I've already written about a few of my theories about S2 & 2017, but just to itemize what my beliefs are:

1) all characters should be out before EVO. In fact, if the 1st Season Pass release was an indicator, we should have all 6 characters out by June.

2) Due to a few features we know are being worked on (Dan's Dojo, Arcade mode, etc) are not yet in the game in the S2 patch, its fair to say that this stuff is being prepared for a larger update. It's been recently discovered that notes in the game files pertaining to a 2nd cinematic story mode is also in there/being worked on. I believe a 'Super Street Fighter V' will be announced, either at E3 or at EVO, in part to mark the 30 year celebration of the Street Fighter series. Will act as one large patch for current owners, signals a rerelease for larger community.

3) There will be a 2nd balance patch for S2 issued prior to the start of the CPT for 2017.

4) In the vein of my 2nd prediction, several of the highly requested returning cast members (Sakura, Q, Sagat, Oro, C.Viper) are being saved to be released/revealed with the Super SFV release or to have one of those characters be available the day Super SFV launches.

ElFly

I've already written about a few of my theories about S2 & 2017, but just to itemize what my beliefs are:

1) all characters should be out before EVO. In fact, if the 1st Season Pass release was an indicator, we should have all 6 characters out by June.

2) Due to a few features we know are being worked on (Dan's Dojo, Arcade mode, etc) are not yet in the game in the S2 patch, its fair to say that this stuff is being prepared for a larger update. It's been recently discovered that notes in the game files pertaining to a 2nd cinematic story mode is also in there/being worked on. I believe a 'Super Street Fighter V' will be announced, either at E3 or at EVO, in part to mark the 30 year celebration of the Street Fighter series. Will act as one large patch for current owners, signals a rerelease for larger community.

3) There will be a 2nd balance patch for S2 issued prior to the start of the CPT for 2017.

4) In the vein of my 2nd prediction, several of the highly requested returning cast members (Sakura, Q, Sagat, Oro, C.Viper) are being saved to be released/revealed with the Super SFV release or to have one of those characters be available the day Super SFV launches.

dunno if they are gonna worry about having everyone out for EVO when in last EVO nobody used the latest new people anyway

besides it is clear that S1 worked much better when they just used the production schedule of 'when it's done' than promising a certain date and then non delivering which was disastrous

imho june is not a bad date but I see them possibly taking as much as august or even september with this one

e: if the anniversary surprise is some form of second story mode...well s1 story mode was out before we got everyone from the season pass anyway? may be misremembering

In the Capcom unity blog post, they talked about staying tuned for the 30th anniversary and that's still quite a ways away so most likely something big is planned for that occasion.

Edzi

Akuma really seems to have no way to play footsies and it's super frustrating. His buttons can't seem to reach anything except point blank.

dunno if they are gonna worry about having everyone out for EVO when in last EVO nobody used the latest new people anyway

besides it is clear that S1 worked much better when they just used the production schedule of 'when it's done' than promising a certain date and then non delivering which was disastrous

imho june is not a bad date but I see them possibly taking as much as august or even september with this one

e: if the anniversary surprise is some form of second story mode...well s1 story mode was out before we got everyone from the season pass anyway? may be misremembering

I mean, who knows what will be in this added cinematic mode. Could be characters from S3 even. As for the timeline - they actually moved the timeline UP last year. Originally, we were supposed to get a character once every 2 months (original schedule had Urien coming out in December). Then when Alex dropped, we were told it'd be a character a month, roughly. They dropped Balrog & Ibuki together in late June/early July, then we got Juri in August & Urien in September.

We also know that much of the principle development on S1 had been done & completed around the time of the initial launch (Balrog had been played by members of the press behind closed doors at PSX 2015). If its true, and S2 had been in development for quite some time now, then it stands to reason that they can launch them at a steady rate between now & June.

Also, it probably pained Capcom to release a season of DLC & not have those characters be a part of the pro-circuit, thanks in large part because A) many of the DLC characters were weak compared to the original cast because they were sporting changes that would ultimately become S2 universal changes and B) Pro players were had spent too much time developing their play with the original cast to move over to any new character & still be competitive.

Them releasing Akuma in 2016 & starting the S2 in December is a big enough signal to me that they want to get as many characters out earlier in the current season than later.
Maybe fix their fucking netcode?

Their netcode isn't the biggest culprit though. Its a combination of how their matchmaking handles large quantities of players relative to how many servers they have active for that playerbase. We have seen these issues crop up whenever a large influx of players hit the players at once, and it only really goes away whenever the number of players begins to even out.

Ono did say in a recent interview that their online experience is something they are actively working on & are not happy with yet, and that it was a source of a great embarrassment for them. To me, this says they're aware of the problem & are most likely working on it. Given the amount of time that is seemingly going into developing the larger update I suspect is coming, i do think this is one of the areas the game will improve on.

Nash is still my main. The nerf dosent seem to hurt much. Its harder to space F.Lk and st.hp to make it safe. Other than that, his Sonic Booms are better and can now punish Ken's dive kick.

kirblar

I think SSFV (free upgrade launching alongside an updated disc version and a standalone character/stage pack) is coming after the MvC I launch, either 17 or 18.

kitzkozan

I'd wager they want the characters out before Evo so that people actually USE them at CC. I'm guessing one a month, maybe a month off for some other new game mode or story thing.

This is exactly what I'm thinking as well, as we barely saw Urien or Ibuki in action in the later high profile tournaments. Heck , it took months before we saw pros properly play Guile and he was the second DLC character.

Mr. X

Each release is a small amount of marketing that they would like to have though. So it works out better for them to drip feed the characters while still getting them out a bit earlier in the year.
There's other methods such as reveal a character a month, release all at once vs reveal the day before release.

I think SSFV (free upgrade launching alongside an updated disc version and a standalone character/stage pack) is coming after the MvC I launch, either 17 or 18.

Yeah, tough to say when they'd do it. CPT gives them a sort of 'excuse' on launching it later than fall or before MvC:I, but I don't think Capcom views MvC:I & SFV to be in competition with one another. If anything, they probably view Injustice 2 more as the direct competitor to MvC:I than SFV.

The big question is - do they want to drop an update that large in the middle of CPT season? To be fair, as quite a few other posters here has said, the CPT is actually more of a competitive season with 2 halves, rather than just 1 large competitive season that most other sports & competitive experiences offer. The first half of CPT (Start to EVO) is a very different affair to the 2nd half (post-EVO to Capcom Cup in December).

If all the S2 characters are out by/around June/E3, then I can see an E3 or EVO announcement, or an E3 announcement with them detailing what will be in the update in the Capcom Panel at EVO, followed by its release in August or September. If not then, then I can see them drawing out the announcement, using events in the fall to announce returning characters SSFV will feature, and having it all come out after CPT 2017 ends, so it could launch in mid-December.

kirblar

Yeah, tough to say when they'd do it. CPT gives them a sort of 'excuse' on launching it later than fall or before MvC:I, but I don't think Capcom views MvC:I & SFV to be in competition with one another. If anything, they probably view Injustice 2 more as the direct competitor to MvC:I than SFV.

The big question is - do they want to drop an update that large in the middle of CPT season? To be fair, as quite a few other posters here has said, the CPT is actually more of a competitive season with 2 halves, rather than just 1 large competitive season that most other sports & competitive experiences offer. The first half of CPT (Start to EVO) is a very different affair to the 2nd half (post-EVO to Capcom Cup in December).

If all the S2 characters are out by/around June/E3, then I can see an E3 or EVO announcement, or an E3 announcement with them detailing what will be in the update in the Capcom Panel at EVO, followed by its release in August or September. If not then, then I can see them drawing out the announcement, using events in the fall to announce returning characters SSFV will feature, and having it all come out after CPT 2017 ends, so it could launch in mid-December.
It's less competition with each other and more avoiding self-cannibalization.

It's less competition with each other and more avoiding self-cannibalization.

I mean, Marvel & SF sell to very different communities. You're right that they won't come out on top of each other, but I could see an early fall release for Super (say, August/September), followed by MvC:I in November. Either that, or we get MvC:I in November/December, followed by Super SFV in say, February 2018.

4wwd4td0wx4y.jpg

Helen and Garuda

Neoxon

I mean, Marvel & SF sell to very different communities. You're right that they won't come out on top of each other, but I could see an early fall release for Super (say, August/September), followed by MvC:I in November. Either that, or we get MvC:I in November/December, followed by Super SFV in say, February 2018.
I'm still not sure if using the Super name is a good idea, especially given that people may take it the wrong way (even if the balance updates are given for free). Super/Ultra/Ultimate would be a bit toxic for such a re-release at this point & would make people think that Capcom went back on their word. Assuming that X-Kira's findings of a Season 2 Cinematic Story Mode are on the money, they could just call the update by the subtitle of the new story (like how Season 1's story was "A Shadow Falls").

kirblar

I'm still not sure if using the Super name is a good idea, especially given that people may take it the wrong way (even if the balance updates are given for free). Super/Ultra/Ultimate would be a bit toxic for such a re-release at this point & would make people think that Capcom went back on their word. Assuming that X-Kira's findings of a Season 2 Cinematic Story Mode are on the money, they could just call the update by the subtitle of the new story (like how Season 1's story was "A Shadow Falls").
The naming convention is iconic at this point.

The goal is attention, not to be scared of the bottom 5% of the population that can't understand that they are getting the added features for free.

ElFly

Their netcode isn't the biggest culprit though. Its a combination of how their matchmaking handles large quantities of players relative to how many servers they have active for that playerbase. We have seen these issues crop up whenever a large influx of players hit the players at once, and it only really goes away whenever the number of players begins to even out.

Ono did say in a recent interview that their online experience is something they are actively working on & are not happy with yet, and that it was a source of a great embarrassment for them. To me, this says they're aware of the problem & are most likely working on it. Given the amount of time that is seemingly going into developing the larger update I suspect is coming, i do think this is one of the areas the game will improve on.

yeah I think it is great to differentiate between netcode, which makes matches laggy for one person and is not optimal given the tech they are using, and the matchmaking servers, which cannot keep up with the load people put on them sometimes, and even in low loads makes matchmaking slow, and require a full workday to update

I'd be careful with the wording here cause it is completely possible Ono is only talking about fixing the matchmaking server side and not necessarily the netcode itself

I mean, I'd be p happy if they fix matchmaking and in fact think it should have more priority than the netcode itself

Onemic

yeah I think it is great to differentiate between netcode, which makes matches laggy for one person and is not optimal given the tech they are using, and the matchmaking servers, which cannot keep up with the load people put on them sometimes, and even in low loads makes matchmaking slow, and require a full workday to update

I'd be careful with the wording here cause it is completely possible Ono is only talking about fixing the matchmaking server side and not necessarily the netcode itself

Its probably the former tbh. Gotta remember this is capcom

Alex players. Any good tech I should be aware of since patch?

I messed with him a little last night after playing with Akuma for a while. While I like Akuma I am going to have to get some more time with him if I want to play him more seriously. Combos are fun with him though and I mostly play to have fun these days.

That one guile boom loop that was posted seems really fun but is that the most optimal one that has been found?

ElFly

hope they retcon Sodom becoming Garuda somehow so we can have everyone back from the Alpha days

well I mean...between SF4 and SF5

Managed to get a taunt kill online. But the server didnt upload the match.

I wish taunt was a proper button and not, you know, ALL BUTTONS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom