• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Akuma really seems to have no way to play footsies and it's super frustrating. His buttons can't seem to reach anything except point blank.
After playing more I think his only neutral is counterpoking and throwing fireballs

He can't impose himself

Edzi

After playing more I think his only neutral is counterpoking and throwing fireballs

He can't impose himself

I... really don't like that. The Akuma dream might be dead for me already.

Maybe I should just learn Ryu as my pocket shoto.

RK9039

So I used to sort of emulate Infiltration's hit and run style with Nash.

What should I do now? Get a new main? :)

New main, I just got back from work he definitely sucks hard now lol. I'm sticking with him for now until there's some interesting characters in Season 2.

stn

He can't impose himself
That's been my impression so far as well. Though I'm always scared to throw fireballs because of his health. The range he's mostly going to be throwing plasma at is the one which makes him open to a jump at any given point.

Wallach

Bison's CA is going to be even more rare than it was before. His EX options are so much better now. V-Skill also seems to be catching more jump-in angles than before.

Dartastic

Does anyone know of any places with discounts on PSN cards, or anything like that? I wanna buy the S2 pass but $30 bucks just seems like a lot, especially as you don't even get Akuma's new stage and we have no clue who any of the new characters will be or how they play. I also don't wanna spend fight money on Akuma because I'd rather save that for stages and costumes and stuff. :(

mbpm1

I... really don't like that. The Akuma dream might be dead for me already.

Maybe I should just learn Ryu as my pocket shoto.
Yeah he doesn't have a good long range option that isn't also as heavy on recovery as a fireball or so. Its deficil

jmelons

Does anyone know of any places with discounts on PSN cards, or anything like that? I wanna buy the S2 pass but $30 bucks just seems like a lot, especially as you don't even get Akuma's new stage and we have no clue who any of the new characters will be or how they play. I also don't wanna spend fight money on Akuma because I'd rather save that for stages and costumes and stuff. :(
poverty boyz
Try slickdeals. Make an account, set alert for "psn". You'll see deals every now and then.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Bison's CA is going to be even more rare than it was before. His EX options are so much better now. V-Skill also seems to be catching more jump-in angles than before.

Are you feeling the meter nerf at all? Honestly for me it's been business as usual. I was always pretty judicious with ex dr so maybe that has something to do with it.

leroidys

I'm a total scrub so I'm not going to cry "nerfed", but man I'm struggling with Alex now.

-Jab anti-air sucks now, especially when in the corner. cr hp changes are not a replacement AA.

-pokes are worse

-v-reversal is (seems) even worse

-huge nerf to stun from forward throw, making stunning much harder

-v-trigger still hugely situational, and stuffed by a ton of other players' v-triggers (add Akuma to that list)

-light slash elbow got nerfed

-head crush still too risky most of the time

-grey life change makes using moves w/ armor much worse

+air stampede seems slightly more useful/viable

+couple more combo possibilities with l flash chop

So it's harder to open up opponents now, and I'm even worse off in the corner, which is something I was struggling with before.

Anyone have any tips, any new options that this patch enabled that I need to exploit?

galvenize

Am I the only person hype for secretary kolin?

maxresdefault.jpg

Wallach

Are you feeling the meter nerf at all? Honestly for me it's been business as usual. I was always pretty judicious with ex dr so maybe that has something to do with it.

Not really. Most of the meter nerfs were to whiffed moves, which I don't feel has any real impact on Bison. He actually gained meter on blocked DKPs so overall he's probably gaining slightly more meter than before.

Edit - You get slightly less meter from throws which is noticeable on him I guess, but it seems made up for in blocked DKP and Blasts.

Shadoken

That or try to emulate Bonchan's style.

Bonchan relied a lot on the pushback from Sonic booms and Scythe. Thats nerfed quite a bit. And the additional hurtbox to Sonic booms makes them too risky.
Its weird that Capcom nerfed Sonic Booms and his movement. Like idk what they expect the character to play like now. His normals are decent but without the walkspeed you cant really re position yourself quickly.

New main, I just got back from work he definitely sucks hard now lol. I'm sticking with him for now until there's some interesting characters in Season 2.

Yup... It didnt hit me from the patch notes. Because everything says "minor" But those changes are anything but minor.

I think CA's in general will be rare. The meter gain decrease really changes the pace of the game. Meter management is gonna become more prominent this year.

Producer

Cr.MP into cr.MK only worked off of counter hit.

Normal combo is st.MP into one of st HP/cr.MP/cr.MK Spiral Arrow.

From cr.MP you get a second cr.MP into Spiral Arrow.

I think she also got a new combo with bMP , sLP. Dont think that worked before. Not sure how useful that is but its something

Do I just totally suck or are trials hard af using the PS4 dpad? I haven't really messed with trials until today but trying chuns and couldn't do any with dpad but with the analog stick did the first 2 so far relatively quickly.

Cr.MP into cr.MK only worked off of counter hit.

Normal combo is st.MP into one of st HP/cr.MP/cr.MK Spiral Arrow.

From cr.MP you get a second cr.MP into Spiral Arrow.

You are right. I forgot I didn't have a good low hit confirm (old man reactions). Maybe cr. Lk, cr, lp mk spiral arrow.
I will stick to mp, cr mp, spiral arrow and cr. mp cr mp spiral arrow.

Anything new with Cammy?

So how are Juri players feeling? Better, the same??

From what i've seen with my short time with her:

The basic tenants of the character are intact, while she's been given more combo options in general. However, personally, Juri's problems still lie in the character archtype, rather than her frame data or combo potential. Her qcb.k is still grabable before she hits the ground, but now you can combo into it more easily, so its more of a neutral/comboable option, which you then use to build up her charges.

She's a character whose entire potential lies if you can do setups that allow her to safely build up charges, which are now even safer to build up, then unleashing them on her opponents in the form of damaging combos. She does more damage now, and her options to open up opponents (st.hp, good lord) have gotten even better. But, her drawbacks are still as big as they were.

I actually think much of Juri's initial issues would be relieved if she started the match with one or more of her charged kicks already stocked, versus her having to build them up during the match. Or, if she retained a built-up charge between rounds, much like EX meter. Its not like Ibuki has to start a match having to build up kunais, so why does Juri have to store ammunition prior to her unleashing it.

daakusedo

The times I started the game I was training consistency at Chun li 3 chain jabs finished with a spinbird and now it's gone ~o~
I read Akuma has some problems, that and the ridiculous main costume, I'm gonna wait a bit before using dat fm.

LakeEarth

Can't wait to get back into SF5 and try out the new Balrog. The change log sounded fantastic, though c.mk losing range is gonna sting a bit.

Do I just totally suck or are trials hard af using the PS4 dpad? I haven't really messed with trials until today but trying chuns and couldn't do any with dpad but with the analog stick did the first 2 so far relatively quickly.

It just depends on comfort really. I did the trials on the D-Pad. It takes patience to do trials so don't beat yourself up if you can't complete them all at once.

Ran through Akumas last night without issue on it because I was too lazy to get my stick from the closet.

Look at your thumb as you do the motions and make sure you are actually doing them properly.

The new DInput support seems to work well, but unfortunately it works by button-to-button mapping, instead of a button-to-function mapping, in contrast to SFIV. I had to look up a picture of a XBox arcade stick to figure out what buttons corresponded to what, so they could "fix" it simply by showing both an pad and an arcade stick in the dialogue.

And I really hope they add the ability to specify the alternative version of a costume in the battle settings, because I plan on rocking Ryu's B-Boy costume without the jacket for the foreseeable future. On top of the costume looking amazingly silly (in a good way), the physics of the clock is pretty hilarious. It goes everywhere when he moves, so it ends up getting stuck on his arm, occasionally.

kirblar

Some of the trials will not work, they haven't updated them for S2 yet.

edit: nvm, S1 properties are rolled back for those trials.

For charge chars, try analog.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Don't know what people are really saying about the Chun nerfs (though I suspect that lots of Chun mains are bitching incessantly about it) but she still feels like she's pretty good to me. Def toned down though.

Rymuth

Pregnant Necalli from Akuma's story is equally horrifying and hilarious. Bengus strikes again

Dick move to hide the nostalgia costume behind real money but I paid it anyway. *shakes fist* Capcooooommm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom