• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenoRaven

Don't know what people are really saying about the Chun nerfs (though I suspect that lots of Chun mains are bitching incessantly about it) but she still feels like she's pretty good to me. Def toned down though.
One of the complaints I've seen is that so many of her combos have changed so it's kind of like learning a new character, which I can see being frustrating.

Sayad

Don't know what people are really saying about the Chun nerfs (though I suspect that lots of Chun mains are bitching incessantly about it) but she still feels like she's pretty good to me. Def toned down though.
Doubt it, she's still great and probably still top/high tier(well can't be sure about this season, but if she got those changes in S1 she would still be top tier), I mean, not even Ricki is complaining about the changes! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I'm just getting around to reading the notes on FANG. Did they...did they nerf him? Damn, it's a hard life for my boy, but I'm still gonna have his back. Looks like has added frames, but more block stun when they hit? Maybe I'm an idiot and not reading this correctly.

Whales

Banned
So I'm just getting around to reading the notes on FANG. Did they...did they nerf him? Damn, it's a hard life for my boy, but I'm still gonna have his back. Looks like has added frames, but more block stun when they hit? Maybe I'm an idiot and not reading this correctly.

wut?
wasnt fang buffed a lot?

luce where are you?

Onemic

People are saying Akuma has a meterless invincible DP in v-trigger. More good news.

Akuma really seems like he's gonna take a while before people know how good/bad he is.

Grifter

They took away the raging demon shortcuts from SF4 :\

People are saying Akuma has a meterless invincible DP in v-trigger. More good news.

I'd hope so, it eats like 40% and you don't have the choice of doing EX. (That move alone kinda justifies his health.)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I've played a few online matches now on PC and they have definitely changed something about this game and it feels worse.
I don't know what it is, but it feels sluggish. Maybe more input lag, maybe the DInput support, maybe a change to the input buffer, I'm not sure.

Bizazedo

Bison V-trigger combos are delicious. Not as easy as the old ones, but smacking them hard into the ground at the end with Psycho Axe is satisyfing as fuck.

I'm probably getting it wrong. Like I said, I'm an idiot and barely understand frame data lol

Basically his st.mk, cr.mk and cr.mp are slower by 1 frame.

To compensate his normals have been buffed a little bit to still allow the same combos. He can still do the same combos but because the amount of + on hit for st.lp and coward's crouch was increased, it can combo into st.hp on CH leading to even greater damage. St.lp, coward's crouch kick now both can combo into st.hp on counter hit.

cr.mk is now +3 oB as compared to the previous +2. So it's a VERY good frametrap.

His V-Reversal is faster, he can combo into his moves without having to have charge when in V-Trigger (Think necalli with his charge move), His Trap stays out for 1/3 of a second longer (20 frames), cancelling his dash into his coward's crouch is MUCH faster and more ambiguous and auto-corrects direction, his EX Nishkiyu is overall better.

His throws don't have as much oki (Universal nerf)

His df.hp is MUCH better and is + oH.

Overall, he's gotten a pretty hefty amount of buffs which certainly cover the nerfs and then some.

man akuma doesn't just do a lot of damage, his stun damage is crazy, one jump in and more than half of your stun bar is full.

Even a regular punish fills it nearly by half.
Heck bHP > shakunetsu > trigger > shoryu does like 511 stun

Onemic

They took away the raging demon shortcuts from SF4 :\

I'd hope so, it eats like 40% and you don't have the choice of doing EX. (That move alone kinda justifies his health.)

It seems that defense and spacing is very important for Akuma this time around. I also hear that his regular fireballs get more frame advantage if you space it right so it explodes when the opponent blocks it. Gotta aactually get home to try it out and confirm tho

Ms. Kanzuki stays winning.

tm40f4l5lz4y.jpg

Grifter

It seems that defense and spacing is very important for Akuma this time around. I also hear that his regular fireballs get more frame advantage if you space it right so it explodes when the opponent blocks it. Gotta aactually get home to try it out and confirm tho

In locals last night, I found that aiming the explosion and getting the knockdown really helped me advance, and knowing when to combo to ex.flip for the corner carry.

I think I want to stay on top of them moreso than in SF4. The best choice I found for carry/oki combo is to combo to v-skill upkick > flip palm.

Theory regarding the slowing of normals across the game - I think the creators intended to do 2 things with this change:

1) Slower startups, particularly on mediums, were intended so that players can whiff punish on reaction more easily.

2) Added recovery frames so that players had a better buffer to properly react to a 'counter hit' notifcation.

For starters, its not like SF5 is the fastest SF game to begin with, that honor going to 3rd strike. However, this goes more in line with some of the proposed design direction they were talking about even before the game launched. I do feel that these slower normals are what is causing players to believe the game has slowed down (technically speaking, it has).

This also serves to 'quell' the feedback that the footsie game in SFV was a shadow of what it is in earlier SF games, thanks in part because of the larger input delay SFV has. So, rather than nerfing the input delay, which probably exists as both a gameplay decision and for online matches and how the game exchanges data between users, they just decided to slow down normals on either startup or recovery.

I don't think Capcom is gonna necessarily win themselves any fans with these changes to the standards of mediums & heavies in the short-term, because players got used to those buttons being a certain universal speed for nearly a year, and now that is all upended. In the long run though, I do think this will make the footsie/reactionary parts of SF gameplay more accessible than it either was previously or has been historically for an SF title, without making the game cater exclusively to how speedy your reactions are. Hopefully this'll be the last time they introduce a major change to the baseline speed of medium & heavy normals.

Wallach

Bison V-trigger combos are delicious. Not as easy as the old ones, but smacking them hard into the ground at the end with Psycho Axe is satisyfing as fuck.

I think what I like overall the most is the amount of stun you get. They increased Psycho Axe's stun to 150, so your basic 1 bar CC combo is now 540 stun. VTC combos that end in Psycho Axe are like 650 stun.

Order

"Some combos or move properties in the trial version may be different from the current retail version"

What does this mean and why did it pop up when I went to demonstrations?

"Some combos or move properties in the trial version may be different from the current retail version"

What does this mean and why did it pop up when I went to demomstrations?

Capcom didn't update the trials for season 2, so the trials just use the old versions and just notify you that you might not be able to do this shit in season 2.

Some stuff may not work now, or it may not be as good now.

HardRojo

My upload speed got upgraded to ~30mbits, can anyone check to see how my stream is looking?
I can't handle streaming 720p60 and watching the stream myself at the same time without a few framedrops.

https://www.twitch.tv/reizoryuu
I requested my ISP to upgrade me to 30 too earlier this week, should be done by next week so hopefully I'll be able to upload stuff and download much fasted, I miss the times when I had 60 mb :'(

kirblar

What does this mean and why did it pop up when I went to demonstrations?
The trials are using s1 load outs. They still work, but they Capcpomd up the explanation.

SephLuis

I did a few tests with Chun Li.

IA Legs is still useful and, while not as damaging as before, it seems easier to buffer into SBK for a knock down.

Canceling VT after Legs or kikoken is useful for damaging combos, though execution wise is quite hard (I am playing with a controller that I am not used to, so I might be mistaken on that).

Her gain after V skill is big and it adds even on block. I guess we will be seeing some matches where Chun can activate her VT twice in a round.

Theory regarding the slowing of normals across the game - I think the creators intended to do 2 things with this change:

1) Slower startups, particularly on mediums, were intended so that players can whiff punish on reaction more easily.

2) Added recovery frames so that players had a better buffer to properly react to a 'counter hit' notifcation.

For starters, its not like SF5 is the fastest SF game to begin with, that honor going to 3rd strike. However, this goes more in line with some of the proposed design direction they were talking about even before the game launched. I do feel that these slower normals are what is causing players to believe the game has slowed down (technically speaking, it has).

This also serves to 'quell' the feedback that the footsie game in SFV was a shadow of what it is in earlier SF games, thanks in part because of the larger input delay SFV has. So, rather than nerfing the input delay, which probably exists as both a gameplay decision and for online matches and how the game exchanges data between users, they just decided to slow down normals on either startup or recovery.

I don't think Capcom is gonna necessarily win themselves any fans with these changes to the standards of mediums & heavies in the short-term, because players got used to those buttons being a certain universal speed for nearly a year, and now that is all upended. In the long run though, I do think this will make the footsie/reactionary parts of SF gameplay more accessible than it either was previously or has been historically for an SF title, without making the game cater exclusively to how speedy your reactions are. Hopefully this'll be the last time they introduce a major change to the baseline speed of medium & heavy normals.

Yeah I like it. It's hard to get used to but it's the only fix that won't fuck up the game balance at the moment.

Bizazedo

I think what I like overall the most is the amount of stun you get. They increased Psycho Axe's stun to 150, so your basic 1 bar CC combo is now 540 stun. VTC combos that end in Psycho Axe are like 650 stun.

Damn close, Wallach, only 5 off the 545 one and 20 off the VTC combo (off a CC). Amazing memory.

I can get 627 stun off the VTC combo I'm using that ends with psycho axe, so wondering if you know a better version and would help a Bison Brother out.

And I can see why they made his cross up harder / more demanding. 3frame light allows a nasty VTC combo now from getting the cross up, much better than the old one of just inferno, VTC, ex legs.

It feels like the tracking for EX headstomp got nerfed, though.

I'm probably gonna play some Marvel 3 until frame data shows up. Just picked it up and love Dante so much.

That's totally not gonna screw me up.

Wallach

Damn close, Wallach, only 5 off the 545 one and 20 off the VTC combo (off a CC). Amazing memory.

I can get 627 stun off the VTC combo I'm using that ends with psycho axe, so wondering if you know a better version and would help a Bison Brother out.

And I can see why they made his cross up harder / more demanding. 3frame light allows a nasty VTC combo now from getting the cross up, much better than the old one of just inferno, VTC, ex legs.

It feels like the tracking for EX headstomp got nerfed, though.

If you want stun off a CC, you can do s.HK (CC), s.HP xx H.DKP xx VTC, s.MP, c.MP xx M DKP xx EX Blast, df.HP for 680 stun. You can drop the s.MP if you want, it does the same damage (415) for only 5 less stun and no risk of dropping the s.MP, c.MP.

Edit - BTW don't forget you can combo into Shadow Axe off a cross up j.MK so if you are gonna VTC off a cross up use that so you can get a s.HP after the VTC (into whatever you want from the s.HP cancel).

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Minus the patch notes can someone summarize the past 10 pages?

meerak

Yeah I like it. It's hard to get used to but it's the only fix that won't fuck up the game balance at the moment.

Agreed - as a footsie-focused, reaction-heavy, poke-happy Vega... I'm pretty excited about Season 2.

Plus check out that EX Izuna stun! And Rose stuns too!? Hot damn! 1-way ticket to Stun City.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom