• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they just release a patch? I was playing last night through a Brooks and didn't have any timeout issues. I updated my brooks firmware maybe 2 weeks ago when I got it.

Why does Sony patch out compatibility anyway? Why do they care whether I use an older third party controller vs a new one?

Also, noob question but what do I do when Gief is all red and slowly walking towards me, seemingly invincible? And what beats that move where he comes rushing at me with arms open to grab me and piledrive my ass? I kept getting fucked up by Giefs last night because I didn't know what to do, and when I did successfully counter I wasn't sure what had worked.

Playing as Guile BTW.
Do you mean when his V-Trigger is activated or his V-skill?

His V-skill is when he flexes his muscles and can walk forward. That move absorbs hits with a max of 2.

When he activates V-Trigger, he can activate a suction move at will that pulls you in and that move is projectile invincible so be mindful. Also, when he's in V-Trigger, his V-skill has no limit to the amount of hits it can absorb. The V-skill can still get thrown /command grabbed though.

That running bear grab move only be dodged by hitting him out of it before it reaches you, or by jumping. If he's particularly far away, you can just move away from him and let him walk towards you and not grab but Giefs rarely do that.

Mupod

Goddamn these Bison changes sound cool but I have literally no time to try them. Tempted to pack my huge ass fightstick in with my PS4 and bring everything to my parents' place for Christmas over the weekend and just sit around in training mode.

Onemic

Idont understand the point of akuma's double HK

If you actually manage to land it and confirm it, it leaves you too far to do anything else unless you were literally in their face... Why? it should bring you close so you can link st.mk...

His st.hk in general seems pretty worthless. It's 13 frames of startup and doesnt hit crouching. Problem is with its stubby range, it's very risky to use and it can easily be stuffed by almost anything the opponent does.

Grifter

If you actually manage to land it and confirm it, it leaves you too far to do anything else unless you were literally in their face... Why? it should bring you close so you can link st.mk...

It can bring you close enough to do other normals that lead to other options. In that sense, it's pretty close to how it worked in SF4. Measuring range for optimal follow-up is pretty common in SF5.

Whales

Banned
It can bring you close enough to do other normals that lead to other options. In that sense, it's pretty close to how it worked in SF4. Measuring range for optimal follow-up is pretty common in SF5.

you're close enough if your in the opponents face when you do it to do a st.mk or st.mp

if you arent in his face the only thing you can do is cr.hk... and even then if you're too far it wont reach

Theres almost no point in using it

ElFly

Did they just release a patch? I was playing last night through a Brooks and didn't have any timeout issues. I updated my brooks firmware maybe 2 weeks ago when I got it.

Why does Sony patch out compatibility anyway? Why do they care whether I use an older third party controller vs a new one?

Also, noob question but what do I do when Gief is all red and slowly walking towards me, seemingly invincible? And what beats that move where he comes rushing at me with arms open to grab me and piledrive my ass? I kept getting fucked up by Giefs last night because I didn't know what to do, and when I did successfully counter I wasn't sure what had worked.

Playing as Guile BTW.

it will absorb up to 2 hits (3 if they do it at the very very start of a multihit move, infinite hits in V-Trigger) and after a fraction of a second he can release that weird flex punch. the punch itself has no armor while active but it is hard to counterhit it

basically you are being too predictaboo and they are absorbing your hits and punishing you. either switch it up, grab them or just move away after hitting it. you may be too consistent with your pressure strings and they may be putting in a muscle flex in between

the running grab gets beaten by...anything. but depending on how they do it you may not have the time to react. beware the EX version cause it absorbs a hit (two hits after a long while)

depending on distance, you may even dodge it by walking backwards but it is risky. just hold up and you will jump to safety and in the way down you can punish. just be careful to not jump when they are not doing a grab cause that's when they are gonna...jump and grab you too, or just plain old hit you with some of the AAs . I am gonna guess they either are doing it after a LK and you don't have time to react, or doing it with EX when you are prone to counterattacking. basically be prepared to jump if Zangief rises his hands but keep in mind that they may be conditioning you so you learn to jump so they can punish you further. don't get in that situation in the first place

Grifter

you're close enough if your in the opponents face when you do it to do a st.mk or st.mp

if you arent in his face the only thing you can do is cr.hk... and even then if you're too far it wont reach

Theres almost no point in using it

time their throw breaking > hk crush counter, dp punish, far anti-air, etc.

far st.MP links from double st.HK that goes into LK tatsu into HP DP.

It's pretty good tbh

So how are Zangief players feeling regarding the character now? He's gotten some pretty good buffs to his close range game, also a few nerfs.

From the Giefs I've played so far, being able to SPD from basically every normal makes him a lot scarier. As much as I love stomping Gief, he really needed that buff and I'm excited that he has something. I haven't run into the spinning arms out move now that it can hit crouching but I'm really interested to know how that would effect the match and what he can do from it.

LakeEarth

Anyone missing charge moves more often since the patch? I'm just wondering if they did something, or if my fingers were just having an off-night.

Bizazedo

Wallach, tell me how to fight Cammy as Bison. She attacks so fast :(.

Anyone missing charge moves more often since the patch? I'm just wondering if they did something, or if my fingers were just having an off-night.

Yes. It's the change to recoveries imo. We're not charging as long as we used to be, but muscle memory etc.

Tons of Laura's now.

Laura Cammy Laura Laura Cammy Laura Cammy.

The Cammy White army has taken over Ranked

you already know after one month is gonna just be all Ryu's again

This is why I hate people.

Pick a character because you enjoy that character. Stop hopping from character to character trying to find the most advantageous and easiest one when stats change or they rise in the tier list.

Marvel

could never
It is nice not fighting the endless waves of Ryu though, I'm sure some will go back to him soon. But for now it is refreshing.

Seeing more Bipson, Balrog, Rashid and Laura love from players. Pretty much all I have faced this past 48hrs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
All Ryus have been replaced by Akumas for me right now.

Looking forward to a month from now, we might be going back to the diversity USF4 brought

kirblar

Pick a character because you enjoy that character. Stop hopping from character to character trying to find the most advantageous and easiest one when stats change or they rise in the tier list.
This attitude's gross. There's nothing wrong with playing to win.
‏@LiquidNuckleDu Dec 20

I don't care about being the best Guile, or Mika. They are tools I use to win tournaments. No false validation needed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

top tier is fun tho

and since Nash/Ryu/Mika are ass now, AKuma is weird, Urien/balrog is cheap, Necalli is ugly, Ibuki and Chun too technical, gotta go with something good and easy. And that's Cammy.

The shakeup of online character distribution is also a nice bonus brought on by regular balance changes. Tournaments can influence things a little, but nothing convinces people to try out a new character more than straight up + and - signs under a character's name. I certainly don't want to spend another year fighting Laura, Cammy and Urien armies.

ElFly

all ryus have been replaced by akumas for me too...who are then getting bodied cause Akuma is fragile as fuck and they don't know how to use his tools

protip: air fireballs lose to lariats, and also the demonflip + dive kick

LakeEarth

Urien doesn't feel too different. It's going to take me a minute to get used to his b.HK move becoming df.HK, but it's definitely for the best, as it was easy to accidentally do the move when you meant s.HK to antiair. His c.HP is a better anti-air too, and is more likely to lead to a juggle state now. And in at least 1 match, the 25 extra health kept me alive long enough to get the win. Nice!

Some of his normals are a bit slower, but totally worth it for the buffs.

But as I mentioned earlier, I beat Hard Survival with Urien and didn't get the fight money. Still upset about that. I won't touch the mode until it is guaranteed that the problem is fixed.

Has anyone tried doing the General story mode "Chun-Li shoves child's face between her breasts" scene with the swimsuit or B-Girl outfit.

Just seems .... worth doing.

Akuma having 875 health is wow.

Laura can melt him damn near immediately.

For that type of health he better end up being kinda cheap as pay off. I'm starting to see more 50/50 type mixups come up at least.

Kinda lame steam didn't tell me about the bundle when I bought the s2 pass, could've saved a bit there

The bundle is only available for new customers: "This offer is only available when buying all 3 items at the same time."

Would have been a nice gesture for existing customers, though, if we could actually purchase it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom