• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

I know Akuma is new and I haven't been having trouble against him... but could people online play something different? Swear all my matches today have all been against Akuma.

First new character in...4 months and one of the most popular characters in the franchise. Get used to it.

Pachinko

So I fixed my PC SFV issues by just playing at 1440p, no more slowdown problems. Scaling up to 4K is still pretty slick looking too so until the SLI /nvidia performance is tweaked I guess I can play like this.

My 1-0 record was already tarnished :( ... I'm now 3-3 for matches 2-1 for opponents. My PS4 record is like 30% wins at best :p. Ah well, just going to go through the cast and get a feel for things. I really want to like playing as Cammy but I never win with her.

JeTmAn81

I finally got a PS4 and SFV. Got enough FM for Akuma today. Looking forward to learning the game, hope Akuma turns out to be good for the long term. Will probably get Urien next. Most of the other DLC characters don't seem interesting.

Dahbomb

My theory on why/how the game was changed:

*I think most of the change decisions were made right after EVO and most of the data for the game was taken before that time. At that time people thought Nash was the best character in the game and characters like Cammy were far less ubiquitous. The tier list was also a bit more fluid, people had Vega higher than they had now.

*Capcom is pretty scared of the white life mechanic. That's why Bison/FANG were tame in Season 1 and didn't get that much in Season 2.

*DLC character balance was done by throwing darts at the board. Ok not really but for the most I think they went with their gut when balancing them. For the most part every DLC character got buffed because they were under represented... except Alex I guess but that brings me to the next point.

*Just like Capcom is scared of grey life, they are also scared of beefy grappler being too good (so Alex and Gief). That or they always had this philosophy of grappler with lost of stamina to be weak in neutral/mobility options because they want them to use their life as resource to gain ground. This rarely worms out and people just play the more mobile, faster grappler like Mika or in S2 Laura.

*I think online stats played a bigger role in these changes than they let on. At some level it makes sense because most people play online... not at high level tournaments and online tends to generate it's own tier list (ie. Bison being good online).

In general, while they are a lot of good changes in the patch there are some really dumb founding changes as well. Reminds me of the Ultimate Marvel 3 patch where they buffed Zero, Viped and Doom despite being good characters and then over nerfing characters that saw play but weren't actually that good like She Hulk. It was still a net positive for the game some egregious issues were obvious day 1.

And I say this as someone who only plays like 3 characters (not even that well but I am an enthusiast at least) and all of them got buffed especially when you factor in the system mechanics.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I know Akuma is new and I haven't been having trouble against him... but could people online play something different? Swear all my matches today have all been against Akuma.

Man goes to GAF. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is predictable and certain.
GAF says "Treatment is simple. Great character Akuma released last night. Go and main him. That should pick you up."
Man bursts into tears.
Says "But doctor...I am Akuma."

meanwhile Alex/Gief/FANG mains

327e7980a82b5686be8db04758c9c9a4.jpg
Thanks a lot

For the next few days I'm going to constantly burst into laughter whenever I listen to a Silent Hill track.

Guile gets a max of 7 Sonic Break booms during V-Trigger now, instead of the 6 he got in season 1. He needs to use them all pretty much immediately, but it's still an interesting new thing, given it's a 2 bar V-Trigger now. Just discovered that in training mode, but somebody might have mentioned it already. His c.HP CC, High Kick, Flash Kick combos into super now too, outside of the corner, if you walk forward a little bit before the High Kick.

ElFly

Man goes to GAF. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is predictable and certain.
GAF says "Treatment is simple. Great character Akuma released last night. Go and main him. That should pick you up."
Man bursts into tears.

Hhahahhaha

mbpm1

Guile gets a max of 7 Sonic Break booms during V-Trigger now, instead of the 6 he got in season 1. He needs to use them all pretty much immediately, but it's still an interesting new thing, given it's a 2 bar V-Trigger now. Just discovered that in training mode, but somebody might have mentioned it already. His c.HP CC, High Kick, Flash Kick combos into super now too, outside of the corner, if you walk forward a little bit before the High Kick.

He gets to do more with less bars? Damn

Kalentan

Man bursts into tears.

Lol

Question is there any way to dodge Akuma's CA other than being high enough for him to go under you?

Edit: Wait does Akuma have 2 CA's? The one where the fire erupts from the ground and the other where the screen goes dark and you just hear punches and it ends with showing the symbol on his back lighting up?

So I fixed my PC SFV issues by just playing at 1440p, no more slowdown problems. Scaling up to 4K is still pretty slick looking too so until the SLI /nvidia performance is tweaked I guess I can play like this.

My 1-0 record was already tarnished :( ... I'm now 3-3 for matches 2-1 for opponents. My PS4 record is like 30% wins at best :p. Ah well, just going to go through the cast and get a feel for things. I really want to like playing as Cammy but I never win with her.
Ranked or casual? I might be on PS4 a bit later if you want to get that win percentage up ;)

Name on CFN is Ace_Harding

Ryu isn't "bad", he's just very average now, to the point where you're better off picking Akuma or Guile or Cammy or whoever. Like in Ultra SF4, he wasn't bad there, but why choose him over Evil Ryu, akuma, or Ken? Unless you just really like Ryu

vulva

You wanted execution with your characters, right?

You wanted 1f links back, right?

Here you go.

Enjoy.

Rice, throw away your skill. You are at the very least competent at the game, so trade me and become ultra bronze forever yet rarely salty about anything. Just float around to all the characters, never picking a main.

You'll live longer.
What about being like me? I'm a mediocre player who does alright, their character is fairly nerfed and is just learning to adjust to the changes. I joke about chun being useless now, but really I don't care much. No one in this thread is winning EVO. No one in this thread's making a career off their performance at the game. Just have fun with it and don't let it get to you if something isn't exactly as you had hoped it to be.

Ryu isn't "bad", he's just very average now, to the point where you're better off picking Akuma or Guile or Cammy or whoever. Like in Ultra SF4, he wasn't bad there, but why choose him over Evil Ryu, akuma, or Ken? Unless you just really like Ryu

you don't understand fam

they have to work now

it used to be free

freeeeeee

See, that's what's so funny about SFV. People thought they could just pick top tiers and win. Chuns were getting bodied until the second half of CPT because on paper she's strong, but you don't have much room to fuck around. There were Ryus that were clearly better than other Ryus (see: Tokido vs Daigo). And while Mika and Guile aren't top tier, they bodied top tiers like candy by Du. Daigo forced himself to pick Ryu and couldn't make it work. Why? Because it's not his character. Tokido got sense home by a Vega.

S2 is going to have huge variance. Not just because of the changes, but because many players need to rethink and start weighing their playstyles and if they fit the characters they main. They might need a pocket, but unless you are the rare type of person that just makes it work and can adjust without months of changing how you play, picking top tiers in this game is just gonna net you an L.

What about being like me? I'm a mediocre player who does alright, their character is fairly nerfed and is just learning to adjust to the changes. I joke about chun being useless now, but really I don't care much. No one in this thread is winning EVO. No one in this thread's making a career off their performance at the game. Just have fun with it and don't let it get to you if something isn't exactly as you had hoped it to be.

Exactly. These nerfs aren't gonna be the reason you lose every single time fam.

mbpm1

See, that's what's so funny about SFV. People thought they could just pick top tiers and win. Chuns were getting bodied until the second half of CPT because on paper she's strong, but you don't have much room to fuck around. There were Ryus that were clearly better than other Ryus (see: Tokido vs Daigo). And while Mika and Guile aren't top tier, they bodied top tiers like candy by Du. Daigo forced himself to pick Ryu and couldn't make it work. Why? Because it's not his character. Tokido got sense home by a Vega.

Top tiers did win though. A fair amount of Chuns did well in Capcom Cup.

And Mika is top tier.

Top tiers did win though. A fair amount of Chuns did well in Capcom Cup.

And Mika is top tier.

I covered that. Tokido made Ryu work. That dude can pick a top tier and go with it. Daigo tried to pick Ryu and it flatlined his ass. Picking a top tier doesn't mean you'll win, it just means you have an edge and that's it.

The mentality of "if I pick a top tier I'll win" is what I'm addressing, alongside individual results.

Edit: No way is Mika top tier. Most pros had her at higher mid at most.

ShinMaruku

Karin is still quite lovely and the slight changes to her voice trigger makes her still do silly damage. I think playing Juri Karin and Cammy as decent pool of characters. I would try Urien but no thanks to charge characters.

Skilletor

Fucking. This.

Producer

So you think Chun got hit with the nerfs somewhat significantly? I didnt wanna say anything but now that someone else thinks the same i dont feel too bad. Lol

Lulubop

Didn't Capcom buff an already strong version of cammy in sf4 as well? Like they nerded the tk dive kick but made her normals really dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom