• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so happy. I think I can finally do IAL somewhat reliably. It's only taken like 7 months.

Now to figure out how best to use it....

You use it just outside of HP range, usually when you know your opponent will be blocking. If they get hit, then kudos to you, but even when they're blocked, you're safe and getting in just fine. If you mess the spacing up, the worst you'll get punished with is a jab.

Sayad

I'm so happy. I think I can finally do IAL somewhat reliably. It's only taken like 7 months.

Now to figure out how best to use it....
Any situation where you think "I could go for a grab now" is a good time to use IAL, also when you sense that they want to jump out of your pressure.

So here's a question for the FANG player(s): when is it generally good to use the coward crouch + kick? Is it more than just a gimmick tool?

The fastest d.PPP~K comes out at around frame 23, so it seems like a terrible tool for pressure when the opponent is particularly mashy. Though I guess that could be covered when the opponent is put into situations where up balls have to be respected?

Low profiling fireballs seems like another immediate use, but is it particularly advantageous over other options? At the very least, the distances you can react with it are also distances where you can't use the kick afterwards.

It seems to be usable for some setups at least, to meaty both quick and back rise.
*cracks knuckles* Finally, my time to shine.

It's decent for low profiling fireballs, yes. But only medium/ fast speed fireballs since low fireballs can be a bit of an issue, particularly the slow sonic boom. You can of course cancel it into upballs which is good if you're a full screen away and engaged in a fireball trade since you cancel the end of the animation to EX slide and get a follow up if they hit.

It's something you use when you have a setup for it, like after you get a knockdown on the opponent. It's a not a move you should be throwing out willy nilly since it's very slow and can guarantee a CC knockdown if the opponent does sweep. It's +2 oB so it's a fantastic frametrap and a decent pressure tool when you have your opponent in the corner.

For those situations when you're close to the opponent but don't want to take the risk of doing that slow ass move, you use cr.mk

EDIT: The biggest problem with that move is that it fundamentally only works against characters that don't have meterless reversals. Anybody with a DP can just do that shit on reaction because as you've said, the startup is slow. Though chances are if they also have an invincible reversal, then the best course of action is usually to lame it out.

God I hope the poison gets some buffs because then playing slippery and zoning will actually become viable. As it stands, I feel like I HAVE to go in in certain matchups just so I can get some damage in.

Onemic

You could play all three.

I'm still pretty much a newbie at SF5 since I all but dropped FG's after the first week of release. I only started playing again last week.

At most I'd like to only focus on two of the three....Probably Chun and Karin at this point, but dat aegis tho.

I'm still pretty much a newbie at SF5 since I all but dropped FG's after the first week of release. I only started playing again last week.

At most I'd like to only focus on two of the three....Probably Chun and Karin at this point, but dat aegis tho.

Play Karin. It's picking top tier without the shame. If you don't care about the shame, pick Chun. If you a baller, pick Urien.

You use it just outside of HP range, usually when you know your opponent will be blocking. If they get hit, then kudos to you, but even when they're blocked, you're safe and getting in just fine. If you mess the spacing up, the worst you'll get punished with is a jab.

Any situation where you think "I could go for a grab now" is a good time to use IAL, also when you sense that they want to jump out of your pressure.

Yeh this is how I've been using it so far. Really opens things up.

Roxkis_ii

I hope Chun gets nerfed so I can pick her without feeling bad.

Lol I never feel bad. But then again, I'm only Bronze currently, so i'm not likely doing the things that make people consider her cheep.

I hope she doesn't get nerfed tho. You have to put in work to do damage before v-trigger and her bnb's are not easy.

SFV Akuma pls

GZQ7EL.gif

Bigg_Oggy

Step 1: pick a character you have fun playing as.

Losing a lot? Ask for advice.
Still losing? Pick a top tier.

Not having fun with your top tier character? Revert to step 1

Edit: Please bring Akuma shenangins to SFV! This would be amazing

Once Juri gets that buff she needs, I'd really like to check her out.

Because aesthetic-wise, she's my favorite character, specifically this version of her. But she's just too tough

So I just started playing Alex. I could just be on a lucky win streak but I'm not understanding what's terrible about him like most claim. I also started playing him because he's the one character I struggle against a lot, other than Chun.

What makes him bad?

Also started playing Nash in a style other than completely turtling. All these grabs...
Glad to finally jon the club.

Edzi

So I just started playing Alex. I could just be on a lucky win streak but I'm not understanding what's terrible about him like most claim. I also started playing him because he's the one character I struggle against a lot, other than Chun.

What makes him bad?

Also started playing Nash in a style other than completely turtling. All these grabs...

Slow normals, slow command throws with bad range, it's hard to get good setups since a lot of his moves put you in a disadvantageous position, utterly free to pressure and on wakeup, useless v-skill.

What makes him bad?

I never thought Alex was bad. He has faults but I think he's really solid IMO. Good specials, a command throw, good damage, good normals, solid AA jab, great V-trigger. He's just free on wakeup along with many other cast members so he can get mauled sometimes. And his buttons are kinda slow.

I played both Yun and Seth throughout SF4, no regrets.

you play top tier in every game don't lie b

Because you are berating Capcom for having their artists work on content as if that has any impact on what the programmers are doing

Capcom has the say what the team has to do. They had the whole year to fix this with their excuse still gathering feedback when these issues existing since day 1 and the only thing being fixed was charecter balance.

Onemic

Once Juri gets that buff she needs, I'd really like to check her out.

Because aesthetic-wise, she's my favorite character, specifically this version of her. But she's just too tough

Is she actually bad or is it just that no one plays her so there isnt much tech out right now?

mbpm1

Is she actually bad or is it just that no one plays her so there isnt much tech out right now?
Played her since release til like a month ago.

She's substantial of work for only average damage/results.

SF4 damage with only SFV options

They're amazing pokes, but he can't really get anything off of them and cr. MP is so slow that people can just jump over it and punish if they think you'll throw it out.
Guess I'm just getting lucky with people that don't know the matchup. I'm hoping I start getting my ass kicked so I can see what to do when I play against him.

My win rate against him has to be some embarrassing shit like 20%. Even Chun I at least go 50/50 with.

Edzi

Guess I'm just getting lucky with people that don't know the matchup. I'm hoping I start getting my ass kicked so I can see what to do when I play against him.

My win rate against him has to be some embarrassing shit like 20%. Even Chun I at least go 50/50 with.

He's definitely scary in the right hands and if he makes a couple good guesses. Two correct guesses on wakeup and he's got you stunned into an "I'M ALL WARMED UP" combo for massive damage. People who are good at using his V-Trigger parry can also do some insane stuff with him, but I tend to use his V-Gauge for reversals exclusively.

Capcom has the say what the team has to do. They had the whole year to fix this with their excuse still gathering feedback when these issues existing since day 1 and the only thing being fixed was charecter balance.

Still doesn't mean artists have any impact on programming issues, which they don't.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why is Capcom so hellbent making shitty RB DLC when they can throw X360ce for DirectInput? My DS4 controller doesn't work without it even with the Steam Beta. Also i can't be the only one who doesn't like the option button very close to my thumb?

I want d-input too but are you really having an issue with x360ce? You only have to configure it once. Are you doing local multi a lot or what?

Do you do it as a tiger knee, or just really fast?
How do you do instant air legs in general? Are you supposed to do a tiger knee motion, because that shit doesn't work for me at all. I've never had problems doing instant air moves in any other game. I played Cable in MvC2 ffs. I even do Dhalsims consistently in this game.
I have to just jump and quickly do the legs motion whenever I'm using Chun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom