• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
This iteration of Akuma has to be the best one ever, right? I nearly want to say he is the most fun Shoto to play ever, and I generally hate Shoto characters, including other versions of Akuma. He just seems a little heavier and more mindful played this time around.

ElFly

a reddit guy cracked the code

SLWrqi8w.png

e: now with actual image

FWIW because the servers have been shitting themselves it might no be ragequits. I got DCd twice before yesterdays hotfix. Although they are probably RQs lol.
Nope

I know a ragequit when I see one. Dudes have no problem playing confidently and brutally until I start running a train on them and they quit on me just as I'm about to Ohohoho them to death.

FOH
Did you get your lp points? The servers have been dicey since the update. I beat a ultra Diamond Chun twice and didn't get MY FIGHT MONEYYY!!!

Edit- By fight money I mean LP*
I don't think so. I'd notice it since I was thirsting for Super Gold rank hard. Every LP mattered to me and these punks would run away with hundreds of points. If Capcom can't give the points to whoever stayed logged in after the match precisely then they should just drop a big chunk of the LP the ragequitter loses on the lucky guy that gets ragequit on at the right time. It annoys me that points either aren't assigned or just disappear into the ether when ragequitters quit without penalty or they get penalized.

Wolfkrone thinks S2 Laura is nerfed overall.

Count spoke about this earlier, tjhink he said her buttons are lesser but her ability to go ham is greater

Overall they nerfed her neutral game and in return gave her tools that promote playing more risky.

In general it looks like they've nerfed the neutral game of most of the grapplers in return making their up close game stronger. All of Laura's best pokes/footsie buttons were nerfed. St.LK/st.HK/cr.MP/st.MP/cr.MK all got nerfed lol. There's some universal nerfs that she also received but I wouldn't count those. Her st.MK got better, it goes into st.LP now but that has to be point blank and they made it a bit more negative on block.

Her overhead changes are good but I think it should've been this way in Season 1. She possibly had the worst overhead in the game with how negative it was on block and it being 0 on hit. The risk was never worth the reward unless it's done meaty where it was -4 at worst. Now while there's more incentive to use it.. it's still -7 on block. This is more a less a universal change for overheads in the game though. Making them better on hit, worse on block.
Unless you're Chun Li who already had one of the best overheads in the game and they made it +2 on hit and kept it -2 on block lmao capcom why
. This change again promotes riskier play. They nerfed the damage on her MP Elbow's by 20 damage and in return gave her better frame advantage. IMO that change is in the middle, it's a nerf and a buff.

Her command throws are overall better. I feel that they're trying to give Laura players more incentive to play riskier because the reward is higher than it was before. Ex command throw projectile invincibility buff is good. Before really and truly the attack was kinda useless/ass/gimmicky. Now it has a real use for it so that's cool. The V-Trigger version is a lot better than the regular ver though. I wish it went further :/.

The added hitstun on her cr.LP is a really good buff though. She now has what every other character has - the threat of an empty jump low.

The added juggle potential on her ex. thunder clap is also a good buff. Now she has different combo routes/damage opportunities that she didn't have. Fwd. HP being one frame faster is also good. Opens up new routes again.

LP Bolt having an extra hitbox active frame is also a great change if you can set it up properly.

Overall they didn't fix her issues that plagued her in Season 1. HP Elbow still trades with jump ins often, st.MP is an okay at best AA only at certain angles. Her defense is still trash, so while she can dish out tons of pain, she's still free to getting mauled. Her bad MU's will still be bad MU's imo.

Her best buffs come with the system changes. No more meterless DP's = no more playing the baiting game, hesitating, then getting hit by a wakeup 3f. Don't have to second guess myself as much. I'm totally fine with them having to use meter to get out of pressure now.
best change thank you based capcom u da best
. V-Reversals overall being weaker = no more losing to certain characters for trying to be offensive. Certain characters lost throw loops (I still don't understand why only certain characters lost it but others kept it fully but ok capcom) so they have to ease up on the pressure a bit after getting thrown once. More incentive to just block/block/take the grab and go back to neutral vs getting shimmy'd.

So yea, overall I think she's kinda in the same place. She received a few nerfs and buffs but if anything she's a bit stronger due to the system changes because they help her out more than anything else.

A lot of characters can do it in 4 too but at least now there are far better options.

I saw someone mention (can't remember who) that one of the reasons why it's so much harder to AA in 5 is because in 4 the whole screen would move when a character jumped making it subconsciously easier to react to while in 5 the screen doesn't move as much. AA jabs in 4 were kinda here and there. Most of the time really good against dive kicks but would get smashed by regular jump ins. Elena had a really good st.LP AA but that was the only use for the button lol

FluxWaveZ

The thing is that, the vast majority of the cast got worse pokes. Basically a universal nerf except if you're Ibuki, Balrog, Urien, etc.

The DLC characters all got so many good buffs. Why did have to pick the single most unlucky one? shit

u USE kArIn

Also, this new Guile is gonna take some time to get used to. I'm not sure if he's overall nerfed or buffed but he is a lot more awkward than before. Upside down kick the GAWD tho

I play Karin, guys. I've literally been bragging (I know I'm a scrub compared to some of you) about how I've managed to reach Super Gold rank with her since the balance update. Doesn't change the fact that I made a huge mistake picking Alex instead of Urien, Guile or Rog lol. DLC characters were clearly the main subject. It is literally in the quoted post.

I play Karin, guys. I've literally been bragging (I know I'm a scrub compared to some of you) about how I've managed to reach Super Gold rank with her since the balance update. Doesn't change the fact that I made a huge mistake picking Alex instead of Urien, Guile or Rog lol.

it's not too late to get on that train tho

NEO0MJ

I play Karin, guys. I've literally been bragging (I know I'm a scrub compared to some of you) about how I've managed to reach Super Gold rank with her since the balance update. Doesn't change the fact that I made a huge mistake picking Alex instead of Urien, Guile or Rog lol. DLC characters were clearly the main subject. It is literally in the quoted post.

What makes Rog so good now?

FluxWaveZ

What makes Rog so good now?

Everything? He's practically the only character in the entire game who got literally nothing but buffs. A few of the universal nerfs, but go read his change log in the PDF. It's buff after buff after buff. Balrog mains are super happy.

New002

u USE kArIn

Also, this new Guile is gonna take some time to get used to. I'm not sure if he's overall nerfed or buffed but he is a lot more awkward than before. Upside down kick the GAWD tho

I don't have the skill, mentally or physically, to really play more than one character and not totally suck. So I play Guile regardless of where he lands in tier lists because he's my favorite, but I always hope he's at least solid.

I don't have the skill, mentally or physically, to really play more than one character and not totally suck. So I play Guile regardless of where he lands in tier lists because he's my favorite, but I always hope he's at least solid.

Guile's game plan is relatively simple but to execute it is the issue. Knowing where and when to throw booms makes a huge difference between success and getting jumped in on for 500+ damage. Guile right now is in a good spot but he's just a bit more complicated to play than before which isn't a bad thing imo.

New002

Guile's game plan is relatively simple but to execute it is the issue. Knowing where and when to throw booms makes a huge difference between success and getting jumped in on for 500+ damage. Guile right now is in a good spot but he's just a bit more complicated to play than before which isn't a bad thing imo.

I think that's why I like him so much. Aside from the Boom loop craziness I've always felt like he's been a pretty "simple" character as far as his mechanics and toolset, so it's really been more about knowing when to use your tools like you said. In other words I feel like he's been a character where, for me at least, execution hasn't been as much of a roadblock.

it's not too late to get on that train tho
I got on the Guile and Urien express, but for now I'm focusing on getting Ultra Gold and eventually Platinum rank. Some people say rank doesn't mean anything, but whenever I enter a platinum or diamond ranked player's battle lounge they disappear faster than a Japanese player that mysteriously refuses to use their flag as an indicator that they won't tolerate long range matches. If I want to play all the strong randoms in battle lounge I gotta get that platinum or ultra gold at the very minimum.
Everything? He's practically the only character in the entire game who got literally nothing but buffs. A few of the universal nerfs, but go read his change log in the PDF. It's buff after buff after buff. Balrog mains are super happy.
Yep
I picked Guile because I liked how Du would spend meter on EX booms and flash kicks instead of his CA which I kinda struggle to use properly. It might actually be fun not having to worry about critical art timing for a change. His moveset is pretty simple to boot.

I got on the Guile and Urien express, but for now I'm focusing on getting Ultra Gold and eventually Platinum rank. Some people say rank doesn't mean anything, but whenever I enter a platinum or diamond ranked player's battle lounge they disappear faster than a Japanese player that mysteriously refuses to use their flag as an indicator that they won't tolerate long range matches. If I want to play all the strong randoms in battle lounge I gotta get that platinum or ultra gold at the very minimum.

Yep

I picked Guile because I liked how Du would spend meter on EX booms and flash kicks instead of his CA which I kinda struggle to use properly. It might actually be fun not having to worry about critical art timing for a change. His moveset is pretty simple to boot.

Rank does matter but only to a certain point. Time is a huge factor and so is luck. Especially when such a small % of the player base are in silver and above.

Luck because the match making system can totally match you with a series of lower rank players and just feed you (the opposite can happen to) and time because those with the time to grind will be a higher rank than those of equal skill with less time.

Its why I just avoid ranked at the moment. I know I would hang out in about the first silver bracket as thats where I was when I was playing on PC but I only really play a few hours a week with breaks when I play other stuff inbetween. This means when playing ranked, any lag loss / rage quite etc can be really off putting.

As it stands I just have a super bronze rank and play casual. Matches me against people from bronze to silver. I win maybe 70% of match ups right now but I get to have fun and play varying skill levels without the stress of rank ruining it for me. There seem to be a lot of people that do the same thing (check a lot of profiles after matches).

If they had a better ranking system that made more sense I would prob take part but I really dont like how its currently implemented. Also I wish battle lounges worked better. In the UK I basically never see good connections in there.

Edit
I also main Guile as he is reletively simple (2 special moves) but is surprising adaptable jumping from defence to offence. His combo's are super satisfying to pull off as well. The second character I play is Laura simple because she is a lot of fun. Im better with Guile but sometimes I just wanna do some shenanigans.

I really don't know if it's just me, the game or a combination of both but Birdie feels REALLY heavy now. He was always a slow character but now he just feels like a tank to maneuver. I don't know what it is.

FluxWaveZ

I really don't know if it's just me, the game or a combination of both but Birdie feels REALLY heavy now. He was always a slow character but now he just feels like a tank to maneuver. I don't know what it is.

He feels the same to me, but in the context of everything feeling slower now. That 1f slower st.MK is really felt, though.

vg260

IIRC it is this one, tho I think I remember the one who is "supposed" to be Iori showing his shirt hanging untucked. could be my memory playing me tho

Ok, I was just wondering where that one with the supposed shirt tail came from, as I had not seen that and it seems like more people would have noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom