• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That feel when your character was super ass for a year and all you did in training mode was come up with gimmicks, then one day the game gets patched and they all start working.

OsirisBlack

Banned
That feel when your character was super ass for a year and all you did in training mode was come up with gimmicks, then one day the game gets patched and they all start working.

I think Bison is super legit right now been Playing him since beta he was my first main he feels so much better now. I'm abusing the new hitbox on his cr HP timed right it stuffs just about everything. All of the Characters I play feel a lot better in Season 2. Bison, Laura, Urien and I am loving Akuma his offense is just nasty. I'm on the fence about Necali he seems like hes in the same place but I keep getting killed trying to do my command throw with punch...... cant tell you how many matches I have lost due to that shit being burned into my muscle memory trying to unlearn it asap.

Marvel

could never
It might be another year until I take Akuma online tbh
I find his combos super fun and rewarding to pull off but man can it be a bitch to win with him sometimes. His low HP and stun resist makes me feel stressed when I get hit. 2 combos and it's nitenite

But it's nothing new, I'm adjusting again to him now. Still my current fave on the roster.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think Bison is super legit right now been Playing him since beta he was my first main he feels so much better now. I'm abusing the new hitbox on his cr HP timed right it stuffs just about everything. All of the Characters I play feel a lot better in Season 2. Bison, Laura, Urien and I am loving Akuma his offense is just nasty. I'm on the fence about Necali he seems like hes in the same place but I keep getting killed trying to do my command throw with punch...... cant tell you how many matches I have lost due to that shit being burned into my muscle memory trying to unlearn it asap.

The stun buff and dp nerfs help a lot. His neutral is good so even if you don't get to convert a whole lot the grey life and the general badgering he's capable of make up for it. And when you do get a hit the stun you can deal in one bar combo or a reset is very real.

Dartastic

So, seriously trying to learn Laura now with the buffs I think. I always liked her and wanted her to be my main, but unfortunately I fell in love with Mika first. So, I'm struggling with the knockdown situation with her. What's a good sequence to go into once I get the knockdown? Also, if I wanna mix them up and actually get to the other side with her v-skill, how do I actually do that? I can't seem to get it right in training mode. Does it require the forward dash first? And is the best fireball to use a fierce one?

Edit
I also main Guile as he is reletively simple (2 special moves) but is surprising adaptable jumping from defence to offence. His combo's are super satisfying to pull off as well. The second character I play is Laura simple because she is a lot of fun. Im better with Guile but sometimes I just wanna do some shenanigans.

Guile is one of those character who seems easy to play because he only has 2 special moves but once you get out of the beginner level he is anything but easy. Using advanced charging charging techniques, proper spacing, good use of his command normals (there are lots), and adjusting your gameplan based on the situation are required for high level play.

He really shines at lower level play where you can spam booms and flash kicks all day and be successful but once you get up higher level he requires much a lot more knowledge and skill compared to other characters IMO. Easy to learn, hard to master.

It's -2 on block

Shows as +0 on toolassisted frame data.

mbpm1

Shows as +0 on toolassisted frame data.

The toolassisted site I see has it as -2.

Which are we using

I mean, if it's 0 that'd be something to help a move that is pretty situational at least

I find his combos super fun and rewarding to pull off but man can it be a bitch to win with him sometimes. His low HP and stun resist makes me feel stressed when I get hit. 2 combos and it's nitenite

But it's nothing new, I'm adjusting again to him now. Still my current fave on the roster.

Yeah, but I think I'm got used to it pretty fas bc of how fast the game was in S1.

If I was coming to him from SFIV I might cry a little though

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Give me deets! I have to live vicariously through you guys.

My absolutely favorite gimmick in the game is, after ending a combo in mp inferno, doing empty lk scissors and then hold v skill to chuck a fireball point blank in their grill. Can follow it up with super in the corner. Mid screen pretty much anything. Works on both neutral and back tech and will beat 3f buttons. It's a bit of a risk but then a good gimmick is. When it works you can physically see their souls leave through their characters.

Edit. - If this doesn't put a smile on every Bipson player's face, I don't know what will.

Dartastic

So, seriously trying to learn Laura now with the buffs I think. I always liked her and wanted her to be my main, but unfortunately I fell in love with Mika first. So, I'm struggling with the knockdown situation with her. What's a good sequence to go into once I get the knockdown? Also, if I wanna mix them up and actually get to the other side with her v-skill, how do I actually do that? I can't seem to get it right in training mode. Does it require the forward dash first? And is the best fireball to use a fierce one?
Also in addition to this I'm wondering if I should just buy the game on PC. I haven't bought Season 2 DLC on PS4 yet, but it's only 18 more bucks to get the game on PC with all the DLC. Guys halp.

The toolassisted site I see has it as -2.

Which are we using

I mean, if it's 0 that'd be something to help a move that is pretty situational at least

Yeah, but I think I'm got used to it pretty fas bc of how fast the game was in S1.

If I was coming to him from SFIV I might cry a little though

Im using the same one. I believe we are talking about TC HK>HK being +0 on block.

Edit: Super late....

Hmmmm.... interesting. The timing seems tight though. Ill have to try it when I get home.

I thought I was gonna put in some time into the game with season 2.

Didn't expect the matcmaking to actually take 2 steps back into "cant find a match in 2 hours" territory.

Fuck this.

Edzi

I thought I was gonna put in some time into the game with season 2.

Didn't expect the matcmaking to actually take 2 steps back into "cant find a match in 2 hours" territory.

Fuck this.

Are you trying Casual? I'm guessing most people are still there testing out their characters.

Or the game is dead. Who knows.

Strange, I'm getting loadsa matches right now.

After three losses, I held onto my Super Bronze status by facing a Sliver Guile who was afraid of my fake mixups.

Akuma can really fuck with your head

Are you trying Casual? I'm guessing most people are still there testing out their characters.

Or the game is dead. Who knows.
Game will remain dead until there's an arcade mode.

But the matchmaking was only fucked for this game near launch when most of the people in the Middle Eastern region had severe issues finding each other through matchmaking. We still have Battle Lounges but there's still a large amount of players that I don't know that I used to run into online.

Now that old problem is back and I literally can't find anyone. And I'm not the only one.

ElFly

matchmaking is wonky

last night I went through spells of it being super fast (considering the long load times of SFV) and spells where it would not give me a match for up of ten minutes (all while going back to the main menu every time)

personal theory on why Capcom doesn't even bother to fix the load times: faster load times would mean more requests to the matchmaking servers and those cannot handle that load

leroidys

On the topic of waiting for matches, I figured out last night that Ace Attorney games are perfect to play while waiting. Maybe I'll finally finish Spirit of Justice now.

Bizazedo

Game will remain dead until there's an arcade mode.

But the matchmaking was only fucked for this game near launch when most of the people in the Middle Eastern region had severe issues finding each other through matchmaking. We still have Battle Lounges but there's still a large amount of players that I don't know that I used to run into online.

Now that old problem is back and I literally can't find anyone. And I'm not the only one.

Where do you live?

And oh god, I just trolled a troll so well, have to save this replay. He keeps trying to join my lobby, too.

Anyone who has curses / racist terminology gets no respect.

Sheroking

Speaking of stages, was there ever a mod to completely remove all the NPC models from the stages? They would all look a million times better without character models.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I want to see urien's 3S stage come back in UE4

nostalgic-sf2-bison-stage-01.jpg

I need it.

That stage would be wonderful if it is devoid of silly NPCs, but very nice if the NPCs are monks or people that are onlookers instead of dancing fools.
Rank does matter but only to a certain point. Time is a huge factor and so is luck. Especially when such a small % of the player base are in silver and above.

Luck because the match making system can totally match you with a series of lower rank players and just feed you (the opposite can happen to) and time because those with the time to grind will be a higher rank than those of equal skill with less time.

Its why I just avoid ranked at the moment. I know I would hang out in about the first silver bracket as thats where I was when I was playing on PC but I only really play a few hours a week with breaks when I play other stuff inbetween. This means when playing ranked, any lag loss / rage quite etc can be really off putting.

As it stands I just have a super bronze rank and play casual. Matches me against people from bronze to silver. I win maybe 70% of match ups right now but I get to have fun and play varying skill levels without the stress of rank ruining it for me. There seem to be a lot of people that do the same thing (check a lot of profiles after matches).

If they had a better ranking system that made more sense I would prob take part but I really dont like how its currently implemented. Also I wish battle lounges worked better. In the UK I basically never see good connections in there.

Edit
I also main Guile as he is reletively simple (2 special moves) but is surprising adaptable jumping from defence to offence. His combo's are super satisfying to pull off as well. The second character I play is Laura simple because she is a lot of fun. Im better with Guile but sometimes I just wanna do some shenanigans.
The time issue is so true. When you don't have as much time to commit as others it does become an uphill battle and every loss or win's impact is magnified. I just want Platinum so that stronger randoms in battle lounges don't quit on me. UItra Gold might even be enough. You are also right about Capcom's ranking system not being very good. It seems to me that it would make sense to have a main profile and a sub one that people can use in ranked for other characters. Hopefully by SFVI ideas like these become a standard part of the launch package.
My absolutely favorite gimmick in the game is, after ending a combo in mp inferno, doing empty lk scissors and then hold v skill to chuck a fireball point blank in their grill. Can follow it up with super in the corner. Mid screen pretty much anything. Works on both neutral and back tech and will beat 3f buttons. It's a bit of a risk but then a good gimmick is. When it works you can physically see their souls leave through their characters.

Edit. - If this doesn't put a smile on every Bipson player's face, I don't know what will.
I hated Ryu, Necalli, Ken and Chun, but V-Trigger Bison has a special place in my heart. That just ain't right, man.
The neatest tech I've seen was Cool Kid's safe stun gun headbutts in the corner, but this is wild looking. I didn't know that the opponent is still in a backwards state even if he blocks the HP chop. Unfortunately it looks terribly unsafe to do when you consider the frame data.

Broke through 800 points last night! I know that's super low but after struggling to get into Bronze it feels like a real achievement. There are so many super aggressive players at this level and it can be really frustrating but I'm finding that patience and sticking to fundamentals in the face of some dude spamming combos at me is working. Hoping to rank up again this weekend.

Pompadour

I completely forgot about this, what is taking Capcom so long to release this and other nostalgia outfits?

It probably wasn't nearly ready but they showed off the art for this and the nostalgia costumes because at big tournaments and conventions Capcom is expected to show off something for SFV and they probably didn't have anything ready.

Also, they are probably releasing things piecemeal so people have a reason to jump back into SFV every month.

Bizazedo

The stun buff and dp nerfs help a lot. His neutral is good so even if you don't get to convert a whole lot the grey life and the general badgering he's capable of make up for it. And when you do get a hit the stun you can deal in one bar combo or a reset is very real.

I am feasting on the flood of Akuma, but still don't know how to fight the grapplers + Cammy with him.

I am starting to V-Skill Cammy's divekick, that seems to be huge.

Marvel

could never
Broke through 800 points last night! I know that's super low but after struggling to get into Bronze it feels like a real achievement. There are so many super aggressive players at this level and it can be really frustrating but I'm finding that patience and sticking to fundamentals in the face of some dude spamming combos at me is working. Hoping to rank up again this weekend.
Posts like these can get lost in the shuffle with the higher lv talk, so as always I look for 'em. GJ man! keep on that learning grind. Know I am.

And yes it is an achievement, no matter how small.

kirblar

It probably wasn't nearly ready but they showed off the art for this and the nostalgia costumes because at big tournaments and conventions Capcom is expected to show off something for SFV and they probably didn't have anything ready.

Also, they are probably releasing things piecemeal so people have a reason to jump back into SFV every month.
SF3 and Capcom anniversaries are this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom